Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Master Fan

Rachel's Role in "Doctor Strange" Discussion/Spoilers #1

Rachel's Role in "Doctor Strange" Discussion/Spoilers #1

Quote:
Rachel McAdams will star in Marvel’s “Doctor Strange” opposite Benedict Cumberbatch, the actress told TheWrap Monday.

Cumberbatch is set to star as Dr. Stephen Strange alongside Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One and Chiwetel Ejiofor as Baron Mordo. “Hannibal” star Mads Mikkelsen is being courted for a villainous role.

Marvel did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment. Scott Derrickson is directing the comic book movie, which is slated to start shooting in November.

Disney will release the film on Nov. 4, 2016.

McAdams’ involvement has been rumored for weeks, and the actress has not been shy about confirming she had discussions with Marvel as early as July.
-The Wrap
Previous Threads
Rachel's Role in "Doctor Strange" Discussion/Spoilers #1 (current)

Last edited by winterbird; 05-30-2016 at 12:48 PM
Old 09-17-2015, 05:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for the new thread, Lindsey - very excited about this project!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Master Fan

You're welcome Nick I haven't gotten around to making a nice OP but we can now already discuss and maybe repost some of the 'old' news that's related to this.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks Lindsey! I'm very excited about this movie as well. I hope Marvel releases an official statement soon so that we can find out which character Rachel is going to play I don't have any idea about the comic but everyone keeps saying that she must have accepted the part of Clea No idea who she or any other character is
Old 09-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the thread, Lindsey! I think I'm about to dive into my very first comic book series ever...!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Master Fan

That's a good idea actually Amanda! I might follow your lead now It would be helpful if Marvel just let us know who's she's playing tho

Brining over some links from other threads that are now on topic here:

The original report back in July:
Quote:
According to my sourcing here in Los Angeles, the rumor I’m hearing is that Rachel McAdams, currently starring in the second season of True Detective, has been offered the female lead in Marvel’s upcoming Doctor Strange. Scott Derrickson is directing the film based on the screenplay by Jon Sphaits. Benedict Cumberbatch is headlining as the Sorcerer Supreme.
HOT RUMOR: Rachel McAdams Gets Offered Female Lead In Marvel's 'Doctor Strange' — Heroic Hollywood | Comic Movies | Superhero | Movie News | Movie Reviews | Entertainment | DC | Marvel
Cinemablend's speculation post with 5 possible characters: 5 Characters Rachel McAdams Could Play In Doctor Strange - CINEMABLEND
Old 09-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Part-Time Fan

I didn't really take notice at the time because nothing was official, but I'm curious to see that Rachel referred to it as a franchise in her quote with Amy. That doesn't necessarily mean her character is going to appear in multiple films, but it's very suggestive.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:22 AM
Master Fan

That's a really good notice and a good point, Nick! I'm really eager to see what's going to go down with this for sure.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:04 AM
Master Fan

Good point Nick! I think I read before it's suppose to be a trilogy? But I'm not 100% sure.

I find it very interesting that it seems Marvel gave Rachel permission to confirm it but only that she's going to be in it and not her role, while the characters of the other leads have been confirmed.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey- (View Post)
Good point Nick! I think I read before it's suppose to be a trilogy? But I'm not 100% sure.

I find it very interesting that it seems Marvel gave Rachel permission to confirm it but only that she's going to be in it and not her role, while the characters of the other leads have been confirmed.
Jeff Sneider from The Wrap did a Popcorn Talk podcast/interview and said that Rachel's team told him that Rachel wasn't supposed to talk about it (fast forward to 3:30):

Old 09-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

Wow. Really interesting. I'm really surprised. I thought Rachel got the heads up from Marvel beforehand to confirm it herself. So if Sneider's account is true, and I believe it is, she just let it slip out like that? It's so unlike her, isn't it? But if her people came up to Sneider and asked him to hold out the information because she wasn't supposed to tell, then I guess Marvel didn't know she was going to announce it herself at TIFF. Do you think this might get her in trouble with Marvel? Like Tom McCarthy said in that interview? They still didn't release an official statement, did they? I hope there aren't any harsh feelings on Marvel's side about this!

Rachel isn't the kind of person and certainly not the kind of actress to slip out information she isn't supposed to tell. I'm really surprised that her people said she wasn't supposed to tell this to Jeff Sneider.

Thanks for the update, Lis!

EDIT: Re-watching this. Sneider says he tweeted that it was going to work out a couple of weeks ago. Do you remember when it was? I kept checking and all he tweeted was something like "I would tell you the truth about Rachel McAdams and Dr. Strange rumors but what's the point if you are going to believe what you want to believe." and it was around the time of Amy Kaufman's interview with Rachel when she confirmed that they were having early talks with Marvel. When did he tweet that he heard this was going to work out?

And do you think this other project he's talking about might be that Joel Edgerton movie the guy on Tweeter was talking about? The one who claimed that he spoke to Rachel's manager Shelley himself?

Last edited by Laleb; 09-19-2015 at 01:54 PM
Old 09-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Master Fan

I feel like he said something about how he thought Doctor Strange was going to work out, didn't he? I can't remember exactly, but I feel like I remember something like that coming up.

And Rachel actually gives away spoilers to her movies somewhat regularly, like I find it a sort of running joke the way she's forever tripping in gag reels and on talkshows and stuff, it's just kind of a THING she does. But when you watch the interview, after she confirms she's going to go do Doctor Strange, she starts sort of looking down at her hands and playing with her fingers and I wonder if she started thinking, oh god I probably shouldn't have said that. Yikes! I hope there aren't any hard feelings too! But I kind of feel like after the media went bananas with headlines about how she'd "rather do Black Orchid" or whatever, if Marvel still hired her then they're probably gonna be okay with it. Plus, it's generating more hype for the project, and surely they'll decide that's ultimately a good thing? I hope so!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the video! I'm actually more interested in "project X" now than in his talk about Marvel The way he is paraphrasing her, it does sound like it's still a possibility ...

About her telling it: I actually wouldn't be surprised if Marvel did allow her to confirm it tbh. I mean, I know The Wrap reported said "her people" asked him not to run the story but it's kind of good publicity. I remember during the whole True Detective Season 2 casting saga that people said it was probably also a HBO PR move. Tilda also - seemingly - randomly confirmed her involvement in a smaller text interview she did before Marvel "officially" confirmed her during D23. Amanda is right tho, Rachel is not very good with staying away from spoilers

Interesting locations from MEW:
Quote:
DOCTOR STRANGE - November 15, 2015 - Pinewood-Shepperton, UK & New York, NY; Details Are only Available By Subscription.. STORY: The film is about Dr. Stephen Strange, a subtly maimed surgeon finding a new life when a wizard trains him to become the new Sorcerer Supreme of Earth. (Posted: August 4, 2015. Revised: September 3, 2015)
Feature Films: New Listing
Looks like they will also film in New York
Old 09-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Master Fan

Interesting that they'll be filming in New York too! I guess that means filming starts on November 15th?
Old 09-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda s. (View Post)
I feel like he said something about how he thought Doctor Strange was going to work out, didn't he? I can't remember exactly, but I feel like I remember something like that coming up.

And Rachel actually gives away spoilers to her movies somewhat regularly, like I find it a sort of running joke the way she's forever tripping in gag reels and on talkshows and stuff, it's just kind of a THING she does. But when you watch the interview, after she confirms she's going to go do Doctor Strange, she starts sort of looking down at her hands and playing with her fingers and I wonder if she started thinking, oh god I probably shouldn't have said that. Yikes! I hope there aren't any hard feelings too! But I kind of feel like after the media went bananas with headlines about how she'd "rather do Black Orchid" or whatever, if Marvel still hired her then they're probably gonna be okay with it. Plus, it's generating more hype for the project, and surely they'll decide that's ultimately a good thing? I hope so!
Oh my god Amanda, you are right! I've noticed her playing with her fingers and looking down at her hands while McCarthy was making his remark about Marvel being everywhere But I didn't think that it might have been related to her spilling the beans But now that I watched it again after reading your post, she looks totally nervous for a moment there I just thought that she might have talked to her team about how she would have responded the questions on Doctor Strange. So I thought that she might have known that she wasn't supposed to tell. But like Lindsey said, this might be a PR move when you come to think of it.

And thanks for the info, Lindsey! I'm more relieved now that I found out Tilda confirmed it herself before Marvel's confirmation at D23, I didn't know about that. Rachel and her team must have talked about how she was going to respond Dr. Strange questions during the interviews at TIFF. I don't think she would say anything if Marvel totally forbade her? There must have been some kind of a loophole there Aside from her reputation with spoilers, I don't think she would spill the beans if there was a strict memo from Marvel about it But she looks really nervous for a moment in that interview
Remember what Lainey said about Rachel's publicist letting her only talk to a few reporters at Spotlight premiere? Maybe that was why They might have been trying to keep her from saying more on Dr. Strange

On his Periscope, Sneider said that Rachel told him she wasn't involved with that project and it's weird that it's been rumored that she is. But it sounded like a valid possibility to me as well. I'm trying to find the guy on Twitter who said he talked to Rachel's manager He was mentioning a project that Rachel was apparently trying to decide between Dr. Strange and that. I remember that he said it was a Joel Edgerton movie but I'm not sure, I couldn't find his Twitter account.