Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Really good questions, Rukia.

1) I liked it! I still remember seeing this movie in theaters when it first came out. It was a fun summer thriller. Nothing too scary, but really good suspense. I loved all the random passengers, especially the doctor. Rachel and Cillian carried the movie so well. I'd give it a 7.5.

2) I don't think so.

3) I like Lisa. She was pretty badass and it's hard not to root for her. She overcame a lot in the movie.

4) I don't really have one.

5) When the flight attendant said "Trash" at the end of the flight while giving Jackson a dirty look. I love the way she said it.

6) I think she became her own person at the end. It would have been really easy to be discouraged in a situation such as the one she found herself in, but she was resourceful and fought for what she believed was right. She never wavered. Instead, she opened up about her scar which must have been hard, and at the end told the rude guests what she really though of them. In a way, she became freer.

7) I think Jackson realized during the course of the movie that he could never live a 'normal' life and perhaps he was missing out. I got the sense it was a pretty lonely job and he found out what happened when his plans go wrong pretty quickly.

8) Both of them focus on personal relationships for their jobs, but never allow themselves to be really close. They want to protect themselves; Lisa for emotional reasons and Jackson just because of what his job.

9) I think Lisa would have given him a shot if he didn't turn out to be a stalker. But I think Jackson was more interested in her, than her in him. He knew stuff that he didn't need to know, like what she did at night.

10) I don't think he has any regrets. He didn't seem to care he'd be killing kids, but he's definitely a complex character. He's a smooth operator, but he can pretty nasty quickly. He can switch it off really easily.

11) Mainly because she knew he'd be interested since he had already asked and wanted to create a diversion to stab him. I loved the way he responded though. I thought it was a tad wistful and he seemed to get her. That scene is probably one of my favorites of the movie.

12) I think he did. He knew his mission failed and he just wanted to make her pay. I don't think Lisa wanted to kill him. She was defending herself and her main priority was her dad. And her dad was the one who ended up shooting him.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Obsessed Fan

Great answers, you guys! Thanks! Here are mine:

1) I watched this movie when it first came out in theaters, too, Belle. I've also watched numerous times on DVD. I watched it recently when it aired on TV. I can never get sick of it. I thought it was a really neat, concise, little thriller. It had really great dialogue and really great suspenseful moments. I also thought it worked really well as a character piece -- for most of the time, it was basically just focused on Rachel and Cillian. Jackson and Lisa were really interesting, well-developed characters, and they were made all the better with Cillian and Rachel playing them. I'd give it a 8/10.

2) Well, the TV version had lots of parts that weren't in the theatrical version or on the DVD, so those parts stood out to me. On a random note, I'd never really noticed that Jackson ordered nachos at the Tex-Mex bar while 'waiting' for Lisa. LOL.

3) I agree, Cait! I loved Jackson! He was so charming yet so freaking snarky. He had a lot of memorable lines. I loved Lisa as well, Belle. You can't help but love her. She was so smart under pressure, and she totally whooped Jackson's ass.

4) I guess the blonde lady. She was a bit annoying. But funny.

5) I have so many! They're mostly Jackson quotes...
"That's why God created the Tex-Mex. Best nachos in the airport and right across from our gate. Save you a seat?" (so smooth!)
"When we get out of this, I may have to steal you." (Oh, really, Jackson? )
"Sometimes bad things happen to good people, like you Leese." (so creepy!)
Yes, I loved "Thanks for the quickie," Cait. I also loved the snarky little, "Sure" he said when he got out of the lavatory.
I loved "Trash," too, Belle. It was like she was calling him trash.

6) Lisa definitely became stronger as the movie went along. She overcame her own personal fears (from the rape) and also overcame Jackson.

7) Jackson went from being sweet to being snarky and sinister to becoming downright desperate at the end. He was so controlled and confident in the beginning, but he eventually became very out of control.

8) Jackson and Lisa are similar in that they want to do their best in their jobs. They are both very strong willed and determined people -- Lisa determined to do the right thing, and Jackson determined to go through with his job. They have very different moral compasses from one another though.

9) Lisa was definitely attracted to Jackson in the beginning. Why else would she meet him at the bar? Her attraction probably diminished though once he revealed his true intentions. I think Jackson's definitely attracted to Lisa. I think he tries to cover it up though, but it's there. I agree, Belle. He definitely knew too much about her prior to meeting her (which is probably more obsession than attraction). And there were some lines that made me think that he's attracted like "When we get out of this, I may have to steal you."

10) He's definitely multi-faceted to me. I personally don't think he's totally evil to the core. I don't think Lisa believed that he was either... why else would she beg him, "You don't have to do this... any of this" when they were in the lavatory together? I think he has some remorse... when Lisa asked him if he'll be killing the Keefe's kids, too, when he swallowed and said, "I do my part and move on," I saw that as remorse. It sounds like he feels bad but trying not to think about it.

11) It was definitely to distract him. I think it was also to convince herself and give herself strength to stab Jackson. I really liked his response. It wasn't too uncaring and almost friendly. Really interesting. And he also seemed to be genuinely concerned when he listened to her tell her story.

12) I think Jackson really meant to kill her. By this time, he was totally out of control. I think Lisa was a bit more scared to shoot him. She really hesitated before shooting him.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
"Sometimes bad things happen to good people, like you Leese." (so creepy!)
I like that line, too. And the fact he called her Leese like they were old friends.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Obsessed Fan

He called her Leese quite a few times after he revealed his 'true nature.' I found it creepy (yet strangely endearing ) because that's what her father called her... Oh, Jackson, you did just a little bit too much research on Lisa, eh?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Bumping this up! We should probably do our Mean Girls discussion questions soon.

I was thinking that we could maybe watch The Family Stone for the holidays? The movie seems appropriate for this time of the year. Let me know what you think.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Dedicated Fan

That movie is on cable all the time. You can just turn on the TV any random night and I'll bet you can find it - same with Mean Girls.

I just re-watched Red Eye this weekend. I forgot how physically demanding this movie was. I especially liked the scene where she was running around the house with her field hockey stick, looking for Cillian lol. I wonder if they used a body double when he threw her down the stairs? That looked like a pretty nasty fall and I would be impressed if she actually did her own stunt there.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Obsessed Fan

Yeah, that's a great idea, Belle! Let's do The Family Stone re-watch for this month! You're right, Rob -- it comes on all the time on TV. It's one of my favorites for the holidays.

Rob, Red Eye's always fun to watch over and over again! The movie was pretty physically demanding for both Rachel and Cillian. About the part of her falling down the stairs -- that was a stunt double. A stunt double was also used for the part where she falls while running around the airport. Have you watched the director's commentary for Red Eye, Rob? They actually say that they used a stunt double for those parts during the commentary, I believe. It's a great commentary by the way -- very interesting and insightful.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've never seen TFS on TV on the channels I have here.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Dedicated Fan

Belle, should we suggest a new movie this month? We can stimulate some more discussion!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Do you want to suggest anything, Rob?

Maybe we should do Morning Glory, in honor of the DVD release?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Dedicated Fan

Great, great idea! I plan on getting it the 1st day it comes out to re-watch it

...and we should do the discussion questions again...
Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay, it sounds like a plan.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Supreme Fan

I agree with Rob that the discussion questions are nice to have

So Morning Glory comes out this coming Tuesday, 3/8 right? I will get it as soon as I can but I know netflix usually takes awhile since they don't get the movies right away anyway - maybe I can find it in a redbox or something

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

You'll be joining us. Yes, it's out this Tuesday.

It's also probably going to be online somewhere, if anyone has problems getting a copy.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Master Fan

It's funny, I can do a re-watch
The movie releases in theatres within the next months here. I'm eagerly waiting for it.

icon credit: guilderferns