Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2016, 06:18 AM
Master Fan

Christine Palmer/"Doctor Strange" Discussion/Spoilers #2: Because We Love The Second Trailer!

Rachel's Role in "Doctor Strange" Discussion/Spoilers #1

Quote:
Rachel McAdams will star in Marvel’s “Doctor Strange” opposite Benedict Cumberbatch, the actress told TheWrap Monday.

Cumberbatch is set to star as Dr. Stephen Strange alongside Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One and Chiwetel Ejiofor as Baron Mordo. “Hannibal” star Mads Mikkelsen is being courted for a villainous role.

Marvel did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment. Scott Derrickson is directing the comic book movie, which is slated to start shooting in November.

Disney will release the film on Nov. 4, 2016.

McAdams’ involvement has been rumored for weeks, and the actress has not been shy about confirming she had discussions with Marvel as early as July.
-The Wrap
Previous Threads
Rachel's Role in "Doctor Strange" Discussion/Spoilers #1 (current)

Old 07-25-2016, 06:19 AM
Master Fan

Latest posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lis7 (View Post)
More pics!

Video of the actors part of MCU:

Actor Tom Hiddleston, who plays Loki in the Avengers, crashed the photo shoot:

Group picture:

Video of the Dr Strange cast at Comic Con:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey- (View Post)
This makes me SO happy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda s. (View Post)
SOOOO GOOOODDDDD.

I made some gifs that will be published on the MD tumblr tomorrow!:

rachel mcadams daily

Bae. is. perfect.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:21 AM
Master Fan

Director Scott Derrickson on twitter:

Old 07-25-2016, 01:24 PM
New Fan

I really Love this trailer. Her eyes are so beautiful..And I belive that Christine will be a great.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:46 PM
New Fan

i'm so excited with the inception/matrix vibes in this movie!! the cast is just amazing (despite the whitewashing). the only thing that is bothering me is the huge chance of seeing rachel as a love interest appearing for idk 10 minutes :/ i hope i'm wrong
and that hair is giving me the time traveler's wife feels (she didn't age at all)
Old 07-25-2016, 06:59 PM
New Fan

Yes, she hair remember me The Time Travel's Wife too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam (View Post)
i'm so excited with the inception/matrix vibes in this movie!! the cast is just amazing (despite the whitewashing). the only thing that is bothering me is the huge chance of seeing rachel as a love interest appearing for idk 10 minutes :/ i hope i'm wrong
and that hair is giving me the time traveler's wife feels (she didn't age at all)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:02 PM
New Fan

The famous #Selfie, look Rachel & Benedict!I would like a selfie only they both, but I'll okay with this now..

@Via Instagram Jamie Gunn
Old 07-25-2016, 09:27 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
same. pretty much my exact same thoughts... except for the fact that i didn't really like Matrix or Inception lmao.

i'm still mad tilda swinton's character ended up being tilda swinton instead of some asian guy.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:42 AM
Master Fan

After the Hall H panel the Marvel casts went out to dinner:

While I'm really excited Rachel is part of the Marvel universe, I'm also with you guys. I just hope she isn't "just" the love interest. Her still being 3rd billing in the poster and trailer makes me hopeful that she's more than that. I can get behind this speculation:

It might be wishful thinking, but there has been so much secrecy surround Rachel's role. I mean, I guess that's what Marvel does but during the panel Rachel basically repeated the quote we got from the producer before in the EW issue. She also skipped the press line for interviews, that's not really uncommon for Rachel but you would think she is (contractually) obliged to do them. I like to think that they are hiding something big, and that her role is more interesting than we are anticipating.

Also, I think Rachel has tried to stay away from "just" the love interest roles. Take Sherlock Holmes for example, I think Irene is a great example of a more interesting love interest part. On the other hand, I also wouldn't be surprised if she signed onto this so she was able to work with Benedict. And maybe this is also a safe choice, in the sense that Marvel doesn't own her for the next few years. Christine Palmer doesn't seem a huge part of Doctor Strange's universe, so that probably means she only had to sign onto for one (maybe two?) movies.

Sorry for the rant, but I have a lot of thoughts about this
Old 07-26-2016, 01:45 AM
Master Fan

I completely agree with all of what you said, Lindsey. The fact that info surrounding Christine is SO vague is what makes me think maybe there's something more. Even though she wasn't on set very much (that we know of), maybe whatever makes her more interesting only happens toward the end of the film or something and it'll be expanded on later? Idk, but I feel like if she was honestly just a colleague they wouldn't care to give us all of that.

Unless she's literally so unimportant that she's really just a colleague and there's nothing else to say about it.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:05 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikayla (View Post)
same. pretty much my exact same thoughts... except for the fact that i didn't really like Matrix or Inception lmao.

i'm still mad tilda swinton's character ended up being tilda swinton instead of some asian guy.
yess!!! and their excuses for not casting an asian actor made everything even worse.

to be honest i'm not that excited with rachel in this movie. i have this bad experience with marvel since they cast cobie smulders. she plays a strong character, but still they don't seem to give her the importance the character has. maybe it's because i'm a fan lol but they did the same with scarlett johansson (and other actresses) by using her to be the love interest in some point. so when they announced that rachel was going to be in this movie i was like "okay.."
i really hope they'll do something more for her character because casting rachel mcadams just to make her a love interest is a total waste of talent. but yeah, i thought the same about all the mystery around her. they announced all actors and their characters, but they tried to make her character a secret. i hope it's a good sign! plus, she'll be the official night nurse, an important character in the comics that appears in a lot of histories.
as i don't have high expectations i'll be probably surprised if they do something good, which is great. and if they don't, i'm already prepared for the worst lmao
Old 07-26-2016, 08:28 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey- (View Post)
It might be wishful thinking, but there has been so much secrecy surround Rachel's role. I mean, I guess that's what Marvel does but during the panel Rachel basically repeated the quote we got from the producer before in the EW issue. She also skipped the press line for interviews, that's not really uncommon for Rachel but you would think she is (contractually) obliged to do them. I like to think that they are hiding something big, and that her role is more interesting than we are anticipating.
Quote:
to be honest i'm not that excited with rachel in this movie. i have this bad experience with marvel since they cast cobie smulders. she plays a strong character, but still they don't seem to give her the importance the character has. maybe it's because i'm a fan lol but they did the same with scarlett johansson (and other actresses) by using her to be the love interest in some point. so when they announced that rachel was going to be in this movie i was like "okay.."
see, i want to have the same thoughts as you, lindsey, but then i'm also with bcam here. marvel has a history of not fully using their female characters, so if rachel ends up being a disguised clea, then sure, it'll be a nice surprise, but if not, i wouldn't be disappointed because i honestly just expect the most low level appearance from her in this movie. like, almost as low as 'sherlock holmes' because she legit just appeared in that as a romantic interest.

i just feel like she signed on for this purely because she gets to work with tilda swinton, benedict cumberbatch, and she needs a box office hit to secure bigger roles in the future... and the marvel studio wins in return because they get a big family-friendly box office-friendly name like rachel... unlike idk, saoirse ronan or kirsten dunst. which if you think about it, is weird. like, did she really sign on a marvel contract - you know how binding those things are - just to work with two actors (and not even a big name director)? because if so, then this reminds me a lot of the whole natalie portman / thor situation. where natalie portman totally signed on to act with kenneth branagh, (i'm guessing really), and when that was over, she probably bought herself out of the other movies lol. IDK.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Master Fan

Honestly I would even be kind of okay with it if Rachel was just NIGHT NURSE~~ as long as that meant some bursts of cameos in all of the Marvel films, but I don't expect that either. I really am the same as you guys, I'm expecting the bare minimum and to be disappointed, like when she did To the Wonder or Every Thing Will Be Fine or... a whole lot of other movies...............
Old 07-27-2016, 03:31 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'm with you guys. A very small part of me is wondering if they'll do something like they did in Ant-Man where we see Evangeline Lilly looking at her Wasp costume, but Clea and Night Nurse are two totally different characters and that probably wouldn't go over well with Doctor Strange fans. I feel like Rachel's role will be a lot similar to Rosario Dawson's role in Daredevil. She's pretty kick ass as Claire Temple but the character is significantly less impressive as let's say Elektra. It kind of bums me out, especially when I see Gal Gadot get such a meaty role like Wonder Woman and she kicks ass at it. I want the same for Rachel! She deserves the best.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:20 AM
Master Fan

I agree with you everyone. I'm not counting on her sharing scenes with Tilda. Judging on the sightings we got, I think Rachel already wrapped up filming her scenes when Tilda started to film hers. I wouldn't be surprised if she only filmed scenes with Benedict, especially since she's the only "human" one of the main cast who lives in the modern world.

We also discussed this before, but I think it's also very strange (no pun intended ) that Marvel choice Christine and not Linda. Linda has a direct connection to Doctor Strange in the comics, while Christine doesn't. A double role does seem like a stretch, and it's probably not happening.

Director Scott Derrickson confirmed they are already hosted test screenings:

Quote:
The thing I learned, we’ve had a few test screenings, and the overwhelming thing I’ve learned is people love Benedict Cumberbatch in this movie. They just love him. It’s kind of the headline, I guess. They love the visuals, they love the action, but more than that they love Benedict and he is Doctor Strange. As big of a scale movie as it is, as weird as the visuals get, it is still a story about one guy. It’s a story about one guy overcoming himself and his own ego. In that sense it’s a very specific journey you’re tracking through from beginning to end while watching this one man get past himself and that’s what Benedict does and that’s why audiences love him.
Video interview with Scott over here: 'Doctor Strange': Scott Derrickson on Benedict Cumberbatch | Collider

I also noticed that Amy Landecker is not listed in the trailer and poster credits. I think The Wrap reported she joined the cast. I'm not sure Marvel ever confirmed her joining?