Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2022, 08:17 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

[REWATCH] Degrassi TNG - Episode 319 - It's Raining Men

It's Raining Men is the nineteenth episode of Season 3 of the Canadian television series, Degrassi: The Next Generation. It originally aired on March 15, 2004 on CTV Television Network on July 9, 2004 on The N. The episode was written by story editors Aaron Martin and James Hurst and was directed by Andrew Potter.
Marco's out of the closet, and now he can't get a date. He's been eyeing up Paige's older brother Dylan, but just doesn't have the guts to make it happen. Clearly this is a job for... Spinner? Meanwhile, J.T. requests that you kindly don't get all up in his fries, dawg. degrassiwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Advocate
"My first two auditions were for Queer as Folk," notes Bregar with laughter when asked if he had any trepidation about tackling a gay character, much less a gay teenager in love with another teenager, his first time out of the gate. "I didn't get the parts on QAF, but when I saw the character breakdown [for Dylan] I was like, 'OK, why not'?'"

Ruggiero, who was hired knowing that his character was going to go through a tough, realistic coming-out, was already an established cast member by the time Bregar auditioned to play closeted Marco's first love. Paradoxically, the newest cast member was written as an already-out gay high schooler, derided by some, admired by others.

"Unlike Marco, Dylan has no journey to accept his sexuality," says show writer Aaron Martin. The actor playing him bad to be believable as an athletic, "all-Canadian," hockey-playing teenage boy. "We knew there was going to potentially be a gay kiss."

Ruggiero and Bregar first met at the latter's audition. Bregar admits, "I didn't know Adamo's character because I hadn't watched Degrassi. I thought he was maybe the reader."

When the producers asked Ruggiero who he thought might be a good bet for Dylan, he answered, "The blond guy." "One of the biggest problems with the other two guys was that they didn't have that comfort [level]," says Ruggiero. "Not that I had a significant say in tile matter, but I had some input in deciding who would play Dylan. My choice was based on how comfortable I felt in the audition. I know that if the other person isn't comfortable, I'm going to be ,awkward. I'm going to be thinking, Oh, my God, I'm hugging a guy who's going to shoot me! and I won't do a good job."

The question of whether Ruggiero and Bregar axe gay or straight isn't one that makes either one flinch. "I'm a straight actor playing gay," says Bregar unequivocally. "And I find that very good for me. It diversities me as an actor and gives me another dimension. I'm confident and comfortable playing the role, and I'm enjoying it so far."

Ruggiero is more thoughtful. "I completely understand people's curiosity about the question," he says reflectively, with the political astuteness of an actor twice his age. "When you're watching a character on television every week, you believe in that person as you see him on the screen. But my answer to that question is, I don't want to say [I'm gay or I'm straight], because I don't want to relate myself to a character and get people more interested in me than in Marco. But at the same time, I don't want to say that I'm the opposite of Marco, because I don't want people to think I'm disconnected from my character. So," he says, smiling serenely, "I think I'll leave it up to the individual to decide, and hope they just focus on Marco."
Read more - The Advocate: Going where no two boys have gone before