Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-04-2004, 08:54 AM
Master Fan

And Gail strikes again. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Dammit. This really blows. Too bad there's not enough of a fanbase yet to try to save it, or send it to another network. *sigh*
Old 04-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Master Fan

I am so fed up with FOX... stupid network. Finally FOX gets a smart, witty show, and of course they wanted it gone before it began. I figured with a Friday debut, they were basically giving it a death sentence, but how ridiculous. I would buy the DVD, no questions asked, but not to put money into 20th Century FOX's pockets, but to support a show that deserves it.

Alison

Keeper of Kris Lemche

"You have a boyfriend?" Hunter
"In a non-defined, non-conventional way... Yeah." Brian
Old 04-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Loyal Fan

Well this just ruined my day. Everything Fox has done with this show was just led it toward cancellation. This show had so much freaking potential and it was never given the proper chance to fly. I want my other nine episodes. And I want me some more Eric. Damn them for taking away my Eric! I swear, if Fox didn't have my lovely O.C. (which should've had WF premiere along with it) I would totally give up the network for good.

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
Floyd Dell
Old 04-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Fan

I always knew FOX was run by idiots. And every once in a while, I get a lovely reminder as to why I think that.

Thanks for posting, Amy. Hope you can find out the addy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Obsessed Fan

Something one of you said just dawned on me:

What if FOX's new marketing gimmick is to only air a few episodes of a show, cancel it, and then release it on DVD for an arm and a leg?

I mean, I can't believe this is actually a real marketing practice... But after FF, KE, JD and a bunch of other FOX shows I'm seriously beginning to wonder if they are only using actual broadcast days as loss leaders to wet people's appetites and then charge them whatever they want for the entire DVD set (a season).

If this is the case, then there is no hope left because it, unfortunately, is a sound "business" practice (if not unethical) because look at us:

We're so desperate to see not 22, but 13 episodes (9 that haven't aired) that we are willing to pay around probably $50+ to see a whole set.

That's wrong.

And you know what?

I will have to seriously reconsider if I will buy the DVD set (if it is released) simply because I will not support business practices like this that turn the airwaves into nothing but 45 minute commercials for DVD sets.

If everyone is so desperate for good entertainment, then this WILL become the norm (on all networks) and it's the same bull***** mentality (money at all costs) that is destroying this country and its people.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by UnsilentMajorty:
<STRONG>What if FOX's new marketing gimmick is to only air a few episodes of a show, cancel it, and then release it on DVD for an arm and a leg?</STRONG>
I don't think even FOX would be stupid enough to do that. They put the show in a bad slot and barely promoted it, which cuts back on the number of people who watch it, which cuts down on the number of people who will buy DVDs. There's no guaranteed market at all, because so few people watched the show. If FOX did that deliberately, they'd be completely screwed.

The best way for a network to make money is to get good ratings. Period. The ratings for Wonderfalls kept dropping and dropping, and FOX had no reason to think they would be picking up again. Any broadcast network would have cancelled a show for that.

That's not to say that I'm not upset with FOX. I can understand why they cancelled the show and I don't think it was a bad decision, but they worked themselves into that corner, and the show was doomed before it ever aired. I'm pissed that they didn't give it a fighting chance in the beginning.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Total Fan

Fox is to blame, yes. The show was barely promoted, and even when it was, it was never to the extent of what "O.C." received. Not only that, but "Wonderfalls" had to go against already established shows like "The Apprentice." But if you take Fox out of the equation, only one other can be left to blame: America itself.

I mean, seriously. The show was good, but maybe people in this country don't want good television. Maybe people nowadays just don't need shows that have actual context. I'm not even trying to be sarcastic with this, but it could just be that a) people are too busy to watch a show that requires thought or b) people are just too stupid to watch a show that requires thought.

But there are always people like us who enjoy quality programming. It's up to people like us to make sure quality programming stays on the air, but only as a group can we get actual results. I know this all sounds like a pep talk stolen from "Boy Meets World," but even if that is so, what's to stop us from trying?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cranberry:
<STRONG>I asked Tim what we could do to help. He says:

[b]In terms of "saving" the show? Not really anything you can do. The network is a non-starter here. The studio, 20th, is possibly a different matter. If they get the sense that people would buy a complete series DVD set, it might happen that the series becomes available in future.</STRONG>
Damn, a DVD would be good.. Hope this can happen. Thanks for that!
Old 04-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn_Evenstar:
<STRONG>WHAT?? after only four episodes. They did'nt even give the show much of a chance. It's terribly sad because the episodes have been getting better and better [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] and I've been suprisingly moved in the last two episodes. I was hoping to see so much more.

[ 04-04-2004: Message edited Eowyn_Evenstar ]</STRONG>
Goodnight!!! Just four episodes, huh? What a load of crap. Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this....FOX has a way of screwing these things up. Has anyone heard whether or not another network is interested in picking this show up?
Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs. Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes. Being vexed, a sea nourished with lovers' tears. What is it else? A madness most discreet, a choking gall and a preserving sweet. - William Shakespeare...
Old 04-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Master Fan

lol... I was a little pissed this morning, wasn't I? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Oh well, what are you going to do? I did enjoy the show - it was fun while it lasted.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Gutted! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Again.
When will I learn. You take my Angel away and now my beloved Wonderfalls!?
I'm seriously reconsidering investing any of my time with television. There's nothing good left.

Or maybe they should follow the UK tv networks. With only a very few but super choice episodes a season. Like The Office. Thank God that show wasn't on FOX. They would have found a way to butcher it too.

Uh...*Gutted*
Old 04-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Fan

Fox is a b*tch.

"I know who you are..."

"It's all fun and games 'till one of you gets my foot up your ass."
Old 04-04-2004, 02:53 PM
Loyal Fan

NOOOO!!!! (sighs), I guess... I sort of expected it... the ratings wasn't so good... I guess FOX does not know what "quality" television is... all they care about is money... the money has always been the issue, it will always be... and we get more reality shows??? great! And I blame it on the Neilsen families... heck, do they even exist?! They don't know what good television is... They killed Roswell... then Angel... and now Wonderfalls... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Stephan
Old 04-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Obsessed Fan

This blows!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Loyal Fan

Isn't Angel part of the WB... I know that FOX produces the series but did FOX do anything with the Angel's cancellation???

Stephan