Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Cohen:
<STRONG>I was born in 1190. am I Gen Y? or Gen Z?

Anyways I feel like I'm going to end up like Jaye, overeducated for my future career.</STRONG>
1190? More like Gen A... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I guess I'm a Y... 1979... but I'm feeling alright about my eventual job prospects. I've nearly finished my BA in Political Science, and I'm getting a MA next year. I plan to study terrorism, which is fairly relevant... if I'd stuck to political philosophy, my other love, I'd be more worried.

For this summer, I'll be a hotel nightclerk in Wonderfalls. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I can read, which helps me stay awake all night, I can count enough to make change even if my boss walked off with all the calculators, etc.

[img]smilies/abduct.gif[/img] [img]smilies/read.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Addicted Fan

i graduated from a prestigious liberal arts college in 1999 with a degree in sociology. yeah, now i'm a bookkeeper. go figure. i was answering phones at a restaurant through college and when i graduated they offered me a position in the accounting dept. despite my intense hatred of anything math, i took it soley because i was too lazy to look for a real job. 5 years later, i'm still here. i really kinda hate my job, but you know what? i'm still too lazy to look for anything new.

skills i've picked up? i can use a 10 key calculator pretty rapidly DESPITE the fact that the numbers are in a different order than they are on a cell phone.

[ 04-09-2004: Message edited carrie the drunken slayer ]

"For your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?"
Old 04-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Obsessed Fan

True Gen X/Y story that I must share since I think this thread has gone totally in a new direction...

I work at the headquarters for a huge multi-national corporation that is siutated in the suburbs. Across the street from us is the areas largest retail mall, so I always walk over there to have lunch at the food court.

Well, today I go to get an Orange Julius and I order a medium sized drink and am only charged for the small. When I ask the girl why... She says, "Mall Employee Discount" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

"But I don't work here?"

"You don't? I see you here every day. Don't you work at the cell phone booth down by Dillard's?"

"Uh... Yeah. That's me."

"That's what I thought. Just tell all the guys at the food court and you can get everything half off" [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]

I now officially have a Mall Employee discount at a mall I don't work at, yet am paid much more at a multi-national I work for across the street.

If that isn't a "Wonderfalls Moment" I don't know what else is [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Absolute Fan

It's easier to go on when your parents were born because they were probably baby boomers, which is a little more strictly defined. Baby boomers were born between 1946 and 1964.

If you're a child of a baby boomer, you're gen X. If your parents were born after the cutoff (ie they're gen X), then you're gen Y.

My parents were born in 1962 and 1963. They're part of the baby boomer generation, so I'm part of Gen X.

I'm still in college though, so I'll let you know which marketable skills I'm wasting in a few years.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Candygirl:
If you're a child of a baby boomer, you're gen X. If your parents were born after the cutoff (ie they're gen X), then you're gen Y.
Not necessarily. My 'rents were born in '48. I'm 16 (17 in July). I am not gen X. Though I feel as though I were because I love all the 80s stuff. Fashion, music, shows, movies, you name it and I love it if it's from the 80s.

I even have a younger sis (by 2 1/2 years). No older sibs though.

Gaby
I made my icon.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hard-Core GG Fan:
<STRONG>

Not necessarily. My 'rents were born in '48. I'm 16 (17 in July). I am not gen X. Though I feel as though I were because I love all the 80s stuff. Fashion, music, shows, &lt;A TITLE="Click for more information about movies" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||movies|AA1VDw"&gt;movies&lt;/A&gt;, you name it and I love it if it's from the 80s.

I even have a younger sis (by 2 1/2 years). No older sibs though.

Gaby</STRONG>
Actually, by definition, you are.

Gen X are the children of baby boomers.

Gen Y are the children of Gen X.

Your parents are baby boomers, so strictly speaking, you're gen X.

I mean, I'm 21. I have siblings who are 20, 19, and 12. We're all Gen X. Age is not the determining factor.

It's all pretty arbitrary though, so you could be more like a generation you're not actually part of.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Absolute Fan

Hee. That makes my nine-year-old sister Gen X.

[ 04-18-2004: Message edited the laziest little sidekick ]
Old 04-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Master Fan

Oh cool. I'm Gen X.. that's awesome to know.

Gaby
I made my icon.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:42 AM
New Fan

Well, I'm certainly not overeducated, I dropped out of high school. I'm not exactly underemployed either, since I don't have a job... [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
But I've got that whole underachiever thing going, and I know for a fact that if I only wanted to I could get myself a good education. I see a shrink, and she made me take an IQ test and I scored pretty high (God, this sounds like I'm bragging but I'm really not, I'm not even sure if I believe in them).
Old 06-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

I hate to bring up an old topic that no one's probably going to read, but I had a big "generation labeling" convo with some peopel about a year ago because I disliked that official books label everyone born after 1980 as part of gerneration y. There was a growth in the birth rates and supposedly gen y is coddled and given every opportunity that gen x wasn't. And it depicted gen y as the over achieving opposites of gen x. That's why I liked the depiction of Jaye, it was so much more accurate than that dang book.