Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Elite Fan

Spirit Riders - Viggo's quest to save the Wild Horses

Viggo is also in the film Spirit Riders which has to do with horses.

Malibu Celebration of Film debuts

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Malibu gears up for a festival showcasing award-winning films from around the world.

By Kim Devore / Staff Writer

Malibu is ready for its close up as the city kicks off its first-ever Malibu Celebration of Film. The celluloid showcase of award winning movies debuts next week, bringing "the best of the best" to the beach.

The noncompetitive festival runs Oct. 4-8 with screenings at Pepperdine's Elkins Auditorium, Alumni Park, Raitt Recital Hall and Smothers Theater in addition to three outdoor venues at Bluffs Park, Calamigos Ranch and the Malibu Pier.

The festival's program has something for everyone, no matter what the interest, age or outlook. Thirty-seven of the latest and greatest screen gems; handpicked prizewinners include 11 feature films, eight documentaries and 13 shorts.

Documentaries include Al Gore's eye-opening environmental film "An Inconvenient Truth," which picked up the top prize at both Sundance and Cannes. Among the other distinguished docs: "Anytime USA" with its look at partisan politics; "Black Sun," the journey of visually impaired painter-turned-writer Hugues de Montalembert; "Mama Earth," a story of ecological economics; and Viggo Mortensen's Native American tale called "Spirit Riders."

Although first year festivals are never easy, Executive Director Kim Jackson is pleased with the response.

"It's going amazingly well," Jackson said. "The support we are getting from the community has been the biggest inspiration for this project."

Putting together a program and selecting from dozens of award-winning possibilities, was one of festival's biggest challenges.

"The taste of a community can be hard to gauge," Jackson said. "We tried to bring in movies that didn't get a lot of distribution and would be of interest. It's a very well-rounded program and I'm really proud of it."

The festival starts off at Calamigos Ranch where film fans can check out Robert Altman's "A Prairie Home Companion." The film features an all-star cast, including Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin, and will be introduced by noted movie critic Leonard Maltin. Altman will also be on hand on Oct. 7 for a special tribute in his honor at Malibu's Kashan Castle, hosted by Lilly Lawrence.

In addition to the festival coming to fruition, MCOF Board Member Doloris Rivellino is pleased with FILMS "Cool," an educational outreach program chaired by acclaimed actor Ed Harris and his wife, actress Amy Madigan.

"We are so fortunate to have Ed and Amy lead this group," Rivellino said. "This town has so much talent to give. We have actors, producers, directors, writers who can act as mentors for these kids."

The festival wraps up with the world premiere of "Accidental Icon: The Real Gidget Story." While it's a safe bet that anything surf-related is going to make a splash, organizers are hoping for success all around.

"I think we've done a really great job in getting the word out," Jackson said. "Now it's getting people to respond to films and come to the movies."

If they do, MCOF will have met its main goal, offering five days of compelling stories that educate, entertain and inspire.

More information and tickets can be obtained online at .:: Malibu Celebration of Film ::.. See page B6 in the Life & Arts Section for a film festival schedule.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove

Last edited by Jazz; 10-11-2006 at 12:29 PM
Old 10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Elite Fan

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/166841148

Viggo has signed this petition to stop the slaughtering of wild horses. He's a very big supporter of this charity:

Supporters of Wild Horse Preservation

So am I! I love the wild horses and hate that people want to slaughter them all.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 10-15-2006, 05:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I lvoe how involve Viggo with these kinds. I never had a horse or rode a horse in my life but whatever cruelty to any animals should stop.
Viggo had loved horse all his life. Take them away, Viggo.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:01 AM
Elite Fan

You should try horseback riding at least once, Gay. It really is fun! But I can't stand the slaughter of wild horses, they look so beautiful in the wild, they really do.

I love the photos of Viggo when he was young riding these little ponies! So adorable. He's like me - you got the bug and you can't shake it!

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 10-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Master Fan

ohh! i remember that pic Jazz he's so adorable.

Viggo works a lot and he does it for the best. he can be consider as a hero.

my HERO!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Elite Fan

He is my hero too. Considering how much he is trying to save the wild horses and believe me, totally worth it. The west without any wild horses is a shame!

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 11-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It is a wonderful cause.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Elite Fan

You know it is a dream of mine to own a mustang. I so want one badly. It's just not practical in the sport that I'm involved in.

But I won't give up that I will adopt one.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 11-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

My family had a horse when I was very young . Her name was Dolly and she was white.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2much (View Post)
My family had a horse when I was very young . Her name was Dolly and she was white.
Wow, really? What did they use her for?

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think she was just a pet.

I barely remember her. My grandfather always had mules on his farm and I think he traded mules for the horse. I don't believe she was ever used much as a work horse.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Elite Fan

That's too bad but even having one as a pet is kind of cute. I want a mini horse like what Viggo has as a pet. You can keep them in the house but you need to build a mini stall.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 11-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think the mini horses are cute. I think they are a lot less expensive now , than they were just six years ago.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Elite Fan

I think so too. They are still expensive pets but I do love them to death.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove
Old 05-25-2007, 04:02 AM
Elite Fan

Spirit Riders" Documentary on Today's Lakota Featured on HBO.com in Conjunction With "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif., May 23 /PRNewswire/ -- In conjunction with its release of HBO Films' "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" on May 27, HBO.com is featuring the award-winning documentary "Spirit Riders, Riding to Mend the Sacred Hoop" about the birth of the American Indian peace movement by director James Kleinert. Filmed over a 10-year period following the 100-year anniversary of the massacre at Wounded Knee, "Spirit Riders" is the story of today's Lakota and how they have returned to their roots and their horses via their peace and unity horseback rides. The rides have become a source of inspiration for the Lakota people, especially the youth. A segment of the film can be accessed at HBO Films: Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee - Resources . Many respected members of the Lakota community are featured in "Spirit Riders," including descendents of Black Elk and Sitting Bull, as well as actor Viggo Mortensen, who participated one of the rides to Wounded Knee.

As "Spirit Riders" reveals, in 1986 one of the Lakota spiritual leaders was visited by a dream where he was surrounded by many people riding and walking together to release their grief at long last from the events at Wounded Knee and the prior killing of Sitting Bull.

"To get a Lakota on horseback to go on a spiritual journey was just unheard of," said Alex White Plume, a Lakota leader. But tribal elders did. "We put the Lakota back on a horse, and he became Lakota again."

Extreme weather conditions during that first ride, the Mending of the Sacred Hoop Ride in 1990, were much the same as 100 years prior when the Lakota ran from the 7th Cavalry to join Big Foot, the peacemaker, who was soon massacred with hundreds of Indian men, women and children in freezing cold at Wounded Knee Creek on Dec. 29, 1890.

Since the 1990 ride, many rides to sacred sites have taken place, becoming a source of empowerment and inspiration for the Lakota people and offering a return to Lakota roots, ceremonies and culture for the tribal youth. The Lakota peace and unity horseback rides continue today.

About James Kleinert: Director James Kleinert's film "Spirit Riders" has won several awards at film festivals. He is currently at work on "The American Wild Horse," a documentary about the current plight of America's last icons. His film, "Wild Horse Spirit," with actor Viggo Mortensen, will be showcased at the Telluride Mountain Film Festival on May 26. Portions are featured in the Emmy award-winning PBS program "Natural Heroes." Kleinert also serves as Executive Director of the Spirit Riders Foundation, Welcome to the Spirit Riders Foundation website , that supports programs for Lakota youth. He lives in Malibu and Taos. Moving Cloud Productions

CONTACT: Nancy Wilhelms of WestGroup Marketing, +1-949-293-2248, nancyw@teamwestgroup.com , for Moving Cloud Productions; or James Kleinert of Moving Cloud Productions, +1-310-367-3942, jameskleinert@mac.com

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove