Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Elite Fan

Media, News & Appearances #7: Alice In Wonderland hits store shelves JUNE 1st!

From Previous Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcerione (View Post)
Johnny Depp's '21 Jump Street' cameo has been written, but will he show?

Jonah Hill provides some details on the big screen version of the 80s TV show

Published on Sunday, May 23, 2010 By Gregory Ellwood

If you haven't realized it yet, Johnny Depp doesn't take himself that seriously. That's one of the reasons his precocious personality has resonated in roles such as Captain Jack Sparrow from the "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise, Willy Wonka in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and, most recently, as the Mad Hatter in the global smash "Alice in Wonderland." It was while doing press for "Alice" this past March that Depp reflected on the role that gave him his first big break, Officer Tom Hanson in the FOX TV series "21 Jump Street." And as it turns out, Depp is hardly embarrassed by his small screen origins.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Depp noted, "I’m hoping they’ll let me do a cameo. Someone will say, ‘Whatever happened to Tom Hanson?’ and they’ll find me somewhere hoarding jars of peanut butter and shaking in my underpants.”

Hanson's fate remains to be seen, but according to Jonah Hill, one of "Street's" screenwriters, it's been determined. I asked the writer during press for his upcoming comedy "Get Him to the Greek" if he took public proclamations from Depp about a cameo seriously.

'Hell yeah, we take it seriously,' Hill says. "It would be great if Johnny Depp wanted to do a cameo. We wrote him a really funny one, so hopefully he does it."

"Jump Street" will shoot next spring, giving Depp more than enough time to fit it into his schedule (if he's still willing).

The 26-year-old Hill says he always liked "Jump Street," but when he was asked to turn it into a movie he immediately connected with a "'Back to the Future' element" to the series where the leads are reliving high school as undercover cops years only a few years after graduating. Hill adds, "I thought that was really interesting because it was like a time travel movie in a way - getting to go back and experience a really significant time in your life."

It also appears the picture will have a strong comedic element to it.

"The fun is that they sort of go back to high school and immediately revert to the way they were in high school and lose the swagger and confidence they've gained as guys in their mid-20s," Hill says.

Hill's immediate concern is "Get Him to the Greek" which arrives in theaters on June 6. Depp is set to resume his role as Captain Jack in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" next month in Hawaii.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Obsessed Fan

TFTNT!!

I really hope he has a cameo. I'd know I would go see it.

"Well, if it were easy, anyone could do it." - Raylan Givens (Justified)
"You're the Best." - Eames to Goren (L&O:CI)
Restored Sunshine| IconCredit: Me.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Elite Fan

I would too. But at the same time, I hope he has more than just a cameo, not a large role but a few scenes where he pops up or something.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Dedicated Fan

Based on what the director said, he view of the show and his intentions to make this a comedy, I really have no interest in seeing it, cameo or not. They need to create new things, not reinterpret old shows and movies there were fine just the way they were. Or they should just remake crappy movies and tv shows, improving them. Lord knows, there are oodles to choose from, Ishtar anyone?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Elite Fan

I agree Harley. I don't like the idea of making it a comedy, by saying that it makes me think of it as a parody and it's not being taken seriously.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Obsessed Fan

I don't know, they re-did Charlies Angels and made it into more of a comedy than the original show and I quite enjoyed it. It was still good, but light. Of course I don't want the parody thing. To me those are over-done and not well either. Mel Brooks was a legend with those and he made great ones. Young Frankenstine, Blazing Saddles, Men in Tights, Airplane!, those were good, but today's Scary Movie, Epic Movie, etc. those to me aren't funny and not a real parody or good.

Having said all of that, if it looks like a parod in the Scary Movie genre, then no I don't want to see it. If it is lighter fair such as Charlie's Angels, then I'll give it a chance.

However, if they EVER try to re-make 'I Love Lucy' them fightin' words and I'm from Texas. There will be consequences.

And Harley, I've never heard of Ishtar, so I guess that makes your point.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialSwitch (View Post)
However, if they EVER try to re-make 'I Love Lucy' them fightin' words and I'm from Texas. There will be consequences.
I hear that!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Elite Fan

No one should ever touch Lucy!

I think your comments make sense Kelli! I agree that Charlie's Angels was a good movie, but I never knew the original series to compare it too you know.

Where as I know Jump Street, so....
Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Obsessed Fan

I see your point Melika, because I wasn't nearly invested in Charlie's Angels (I watched it, but it wasn't as into it as others), so the movie really didn't bother.

21 Jumpstreet is different though. I get nervous when they do current shows like X-Files or Sex and the City. You don't want it to ruin what you loved so much about the original.

I guess it really is just a wait and see.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialSwitch (View Post)
I see your point Melika, because I wasn't nearly invested in Charlie's Angels (I watched it, but it wasn't as into it as others), so the movie really didn't bother.

21 Jumpstreet is different though. I get nervous when they do current shows like X-Files or Sex and the City. You don't want it to ruin what you loved so much about the original.
This is exactly how I feel. I loved watching Charlie's Angels, while I was growing up, and it has a special place in my memory. Since the movie strayed so far from the vibe of the original, I had no interest in seeing it. I gave both the X-Files and Sex and the City a chance, as they stayed relatively true to the originals, and felt the results were mixed. I guess I'll just wait and see what it looks like, when it comes out, and judge from there.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Obsessed Fan

I hear you Harley!

And in the news today:

Quote:
Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" just crossed the $1 billion mark in worldwide box office receipts, according to a report in The Wrap, making it the sixth movie in history to do so.

Loosely based on Lewis Carroll's beloved book, "Alice" did reasonably well domestically -- raking in a healthy $332 million -- but the movie did surprisingly well in international markets, especially in Japan where star Johnny Depp is hugely popular. The increased price of 3D tickets, no doubt, also helped the movie's haul.

This marks the second time one of Depp's flicks entered the rarefied "billion dollar club." His first was 2006's "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

Old 05-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Elite Fan

^^ I just saw that on IMDb.com! I think that's awesome!

Being that it's the sixth, I wonder what the other 5 movies are? I'm assuming Titanic, Avatar, Lord of the Rings...and...yeah...
Old 05-28-2010, 06:06 AM
Obsessed Fan

You're good Melika! That is exactly who the others were. I saw this pop up on my Yahoo news and had to post.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Elite Fan

I feel smart now!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Obsessed Fan

And you are!!