Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-14-2009, 05:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

He was in the beginning and end
Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Supreme Fan

I thought so! I always loved when Kris Lemche returned

It's an interesting point that was brought up that Joan never really had a close friendship. I'm kind of surprised that they didn't have someone in Joan's life who could be that best friend type of character (and not just from time spent at "crazy camp").

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think so too. I kind of wished that they did cast someone as her best friend. I think it's a bit typecasting that just because you're quiet person that you don't have any friends compared to the more "hollywood" style characters that have lot's of friends
Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah - and it would have created an even more interesting complication in no one knowing about her and God talking. Or, they could have had her know...it would have been really interested to see

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Dedicated Fan

I actually liked that Joan has a more realistic circle of friends. It's important to remember that at the beginning of the series, they had just moved to Arcadia. I don't think they ever mentioned how long they had been there specifically, but I don't imagine much longer than the start of the school year. At the beginning, Joan hung around with those two snooty girls who seemed like they were in with the popular crowd, sort of. She also fell in with the cheerleaders really easily. But she realized that people like that weren't really friends. People like Adam and Grace were really friends. Maybe it's just because I had a really small circle of friends at that age, nor did I then or have I ever had a 'best friend,' but the absence of a "BFF" doesn't seem all that out there.

I liked that her friendships were fresh and we go to see them develop. Some of my favorite moments of the series come from little things like Adam giving her the cheerleader thingy or her and Grace wordlessly sharing a sandwich. These are things I don't think we'd have gotten if she had already had a big circle of friends, or even a BFF type friend. Especially since most of these little moments were totally missing when Judith was around.

"I'm just a simple anarchist trying to get through my day" - Grace ~ JoA
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Supreme Fan

I agree that I liked that they didn't just have Joan fall into the popular crowd or anything like that, and I like the point they made several times with her specifically going against what the popular kids were doing, but I still would have liked to have seen her have a closer friend, or have Grace and her become closer friends (kind of like in Common Thread). I think those moments could have still existed had she had a best friend b/c her best friend wouldn't have had to have been super popular or really outgoing (like Judith) but could have been more of a true friend to her. It would have been an interesting development in the Joan talking to God issue and her having a best friend who it might have been hard to hide the truth from, imo.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I was thinking about how Grace was like Joan in the sense that they are both very private people. Grace kept private her religion and the problems with her Mother. I think for me it shows how private they were, yet the still had understanding not to pry. Well to some extent
Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Supreme Fan

Haha - at least Grace had the agreement not to pry I just loved in Common Thread when we finally saw Grace become the personal one who wanted to invite herself into Joan's issues...it showed a huge change in her character (but a change that made sense and was fitting with the storyline) for the better.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So true as for me S2 felt like a lot of the characters had changed too much.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah - the show went from feeling real to very unreal b/c the writers/network had characters doing things simply for drama to get ratings, not because they were things the characters would actually do, especially with Adam.

This is random, but I really liked Queen of the Zombies because we got to see Joan get a bit of a confidence boost, which I think was sometimes needed....her character could be tough and stuff, but she also seemed very insecure with herself.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-18-2009, 05:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved Queen of the Zombies, I think it's my favourite S2 episode or the one that I can watch over and over. It kind of felt like finally Joan got to do something she was good at instead of an awkward one eg: diving
Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Peachy. (View Post)
I loved Queen of the Zombies, I think it's my favourite S2 episode or the one that I can watch over and over. It kind of felt like finally Joan got to do something she was good at instead of an awkward one eg: diving
Yeah, that was nice. I never really thought about it, but yeah, God did put her in a lot of awkward situations, so it's nice that she was able to shine in this one.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Supreme Fan

Yeah he really managed to make her look kind of weird a lot of times I think one of my favorites was when she had to try out for the cheerleaders...it must have been so confusing for Adam and Grace...

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-26-2009, 03:30 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
Yeah he really managed to make her look kind of weird a lot of times I think one of my favorites was when she had to try out for the cheerleaders...it must have been so confusing for Adam and Grace...
It made for a great Joan/Adam moment though, that one is amongst my very favourites. I liked how Grace when to watch because she was completely suspect (and rightly so) about Joan's tryout.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Supreme Fan

I honestly don't know what I'd think if I had a friend like Joan - I mean, she dives into all these random activities and you'd have to be wondering what the heck is going on.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~