Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

There's lots of cool info up on the ABC site The Unusuals - Home - ABC.com

Quote:
'The Unusuals' snap judgment: Kooky but real

Apr 9, 2009, 01:26 PM | by Mandi Bierly

The Unusuals_l The art of the cleverly kooky cop show is not lost: It's found any time you tune into Bones, Psych, Castle, the list goes on and on. We like it because the characters are smart, quippy people we could actually imagine talking to (because they're smart and quippy). Personally, I'm fine with the networks filling their grids with this kind of show, particularly in the 10 p.m. hour when I've often had enough real-life drama for the day that I just want to watch something entertaining -- but not mindless. That said, I'm still sorta surprised that I liked ABC's latest offering, The Unusuals, as much as I did. They're telling you how "kooky" it is right there in the title. Luckily, the writing and acting are more subtle.

The premise of the show is simple: Every cop has a secret, and it seems we'll be spending most of our time trying to figure out what Det. Jason Walsh (Jeremy Renner) is hiding. His crooked-but-redeemable partner, who'd been keeping files on the other detectives, has just been murdered, and he's paired with Det. Casey Shraeger (Amber Tamblyn). So far we know that Walsh is a former first baseman for the Yankees who owns a diner that he only opens when he feels like cooking crappy food; Shraeger left Harvard to join the force and comes from wealthy parents who say things like, "What are you wearing? You look like a lesbian." I'm definitely digging the coupling: He's got a face that's friendly but slightly skeezy-looking (perfect for his role) and she still looks young enough to be wearing traveling pants but has that acid-laced tongue (ideal for hers). But my favorite duo in the precinct is shaping up to be Det. Eric Delahoy (Adam Goldberg) and Det. Leo Banks (Harold Perrineau). Delahoy is hiding the fact that he has a brain tumor and has declined treatment; Banks walks around in a bullet-proof vest all the time because he just turned 42 -- the same age his grandfather, father, and uncle each died. That level of "kooky" could feel so forced that I'd want to change the channel, but Goldberg and Perrineau make it feel real. I want to watch Delahoy continue to put himself in situations where he could be killed (last night, divine intervention spared him from a subway and bullets, both of which should've nailed him). I want to watch Banks play cop when he's afraid to put his life on the line. I watch to watch Goldberg and Perrineau exchange hilarious looks.

What's your verdict on The Unusuals? Will you keep watching? (Only 6.8 million tuned in last night. Tell your friends to watch the episode online and get onboard next week, people.) Which characters are you loving/loathing? And how wrong is it that Save the Last Dance is the reason I have love for Terry Kinney (Sgt. Harvey Brown)?
'The Unusuals' snap judgment: Kooky but real | PopWatch Blog | EW.com
Old 04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Master Fan

I honestly think The Unusuals had one of the best pilots on tv.

Some parts were so funny. I just love the show. The ratings have to go up, though, for ABC to give it a chance.

When Walsh kept messing with Alvarez, I thought it was so funny. "Who is this?" He said that to him every time he picked up his phone! LOL

Then you got a mismatch of one cop who is basically a stand in front of the bus kind of guy due to his situation, and another cop who is the hide behind something guy due to his also unique situation.

The cast is so talented. Awesome acting.

Jeremy and Amber have a nice chemistry going on, too, as Jason and Casey.

"I will not let anything happen to you."
Walter and Paige

credit for the icon: Chiara G
Old 04-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The same network that aired JoA has the rights to The Unusuals so hopefully they'll air it soon here in Australia ... though I think we may not get it until the end of the year when it's the non-ratings period
Old 04-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Master Fan

I stared a shipper thread for Jason and Casey here:
http://www.fanforum.com/f88/jason-wa...rets-62889356/

"I will not let anything happen to you."
Walter and Paige

credit for the icon: Chiara G
Old 04-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for that
Old 04-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I saw the pilot episode. Overall it was pretty good. It's great that this show is about cops who have real flaws. And Amber of course was outstanding.
Emma♥Neal
Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Just Jared spotted Amber and Orlando Bloom out and about

Orlando Bloom & Amber Tamblyn: Dinner Date | Amber Tamblyn, Orlando Bloom : Just Jared
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Passionate Fan

Oh I hadn't heard about that movie. I'm not a Orlando fan, but if Amber's in it...
Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I've got a soft spot for Orlando
Old 04-26-2009, 03:36 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
From the once thriving tobacco warehouses, to the current run-down and closed shops of Five Points, a diverse group of residents and their respective life changes when outsider Gus Leroy brings something new and potentially dangerous into their quiet town
Interesting plot...lol...