Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTime (View Post)
The show has spent four years showing us Penny and Leonard growing close. That has been the entire story for them
Even last season They showed how much Penny cared for Leonard, and vice versa. They even had Penny tell Leonard more than once that he was her BF and what he is interested in , she is interested in. She even wanted to learn Physics for him.
Showing that she cared for him , she got scared when he moved too fast for her, they showed that. What they are showing now is that maybe she is now in the place Leonard was in last season.
They aren't rushing anything at all, they have taken most of the season to set up to these last few episodes. and they actually have taken steps every season for four years showing the progression and closeness and caring and love that they both have for each other grow and grow.
Honestly there is really no reason for Penny to hang with the guys as much if Leonard isn't around, Sheldon doesn't like to really "hang out" with anyone really and raj can't talk in front of her, and she doesn't really like Howard that much, it was always Leonard that was the tie that bound Penny to the guys, it was evident this season that Penny became the girl in the hallway, or getting her mail and walking up the stairs. They even had to force silly reasons for Sheldon to go to the cheesecake factory to have a scene with her, when last season it was so natural for her to be around so much. It always made so much sense and was very easy and organic to include her than it was this year.
I look forward to seeing her and Leonard move forward because it can get the show back on track and give Penny more to do that makes more sense to the show
Well, considering the show had a premise already, and it's not so much about the character development but the funny light situations, I guess Lenny goes along well with the simplicity of the show.

But that's where the drama doesn't fit.

All the times Sheldon and Penny were together were for a reason, and that felt more natural because they weren't any plans to get them somewhere romantically, so their scenes didn't feel forced. There are no plans for them as a couple, and the pressure is less because we are not expecting something else from them. Well that's what I feel. Now that Sheldon is meaner, well it's just what the writers what to do, seeing as some people in review sites liked their friendship better than the Lenny, they are just taking everything into consideration for the Lenny.

Yes the writers are always telling us Leonard and Penny care and stuff, but they never showed ME why. They care and that's it, that's why I can't buy it O.o They just...started caring. I think even Penny and Howard have more development friends. You cannot fall in love with a person just because.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTime (View Post)
Even last season They showed how much Penny cared for Leonard, and vice versa. They even had Penny tell Leonard more than once that he was her BF and what he is interested in , she is interested in. She even wanted to learn Physics for him.
Showing that she cared for him , she got scared when he moved too fast for her, they showed that. What they are showing now is that maybe she is now in the place Leonard was in last season.
They aren't rushing anything at all, they have taken most of the season to set up to these last few episodes. and they actually have taken steps every season for four years showing the progression and closeness and caring and love that they both have for each other grow and grow.
Plus, she waited three months for him. Quote her:"I couldn't think of anyone else while you were gone"

I'm angry with Penny's behavior since their broke-up but I think she really cares for him.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclc (View Post)
Plus, she waited three months for him. Quote her:"I couldn't think of anyone else while you were gone"

I'm angry with Penny's behavior since their broke-up but I think she really cares for him.
Exactly , those three months

I am not angry with her but I am glad she is finally coming to the realizations

Fercita, I am sure if I were in the camp of not likeing Len/Pen together I probably would be saying what you are saying but I actually do like them, I grew to like them from the writing and the chemistry and I for one do feel some of the SP scenes have been forced at times, which bums me out becasue I love SP scenes and used to love them all the time but this season they just seemed out of place at times and forced to me, I am hoping now that the show is getting back ontrack those SP scenes will be more natural again cause I miss those SP moments.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fercita (View Post)
But where are those? Those moments in which we see them caring about one another, it was just about the telling, and in season one suddenly Penny just kissed Leonard but why? That's why I come back to the same "show what you tell" and most viewers (without any bias whatsoever) give credit more to the things they see rather than to the things the characters claim to have done.
Which kiss in season 1 are you referring to? The Halloween kiss? Leonard's birthday party? Right before their first real date?

I think in season 1 Penny was slowly starting to develop feelings for Leonard, and a lot of it hinges on the fact that Leonard's different from most of the guys she's dated. He goes to her ex to try to get her TV back, he writes an apology letter after cleaning her apartment, he stops her kiss at the Halloween party, knowing that she was drunk. After dating jerks, she likes the fact that he's a genuinely nice guy. Leonard just being different isn't fully a reason in itself for why she falls for him, but I think it played a large part in the initial interest, and from there their friendship strengthened.
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
Old 02-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaxor (View Post)
Which kiss in season 1 are you referring to? The Halloween kiss? Leonard's birthday party? Right before their first real date?

I think in season 1 Penny was slowly starting to develop feelings for Leonard, and a lot of it hinges on the fact that Leonard's different from most of the guys she's dated. He goes to her ex to try to get her TV back, he writes an apology letter after cleaning her apartment, he stops her kiss at the Halloween party, knowing that she was drunk. After dating jerks, she likes the fact that he's a genuinely nice guy. Leonard just being different isn't fully a reason in itself for why she falls for him, but I think it played a large part in the initial interest, and from there their friendship strengthened.
Well put Roxanne, I was thinking the same thing and then in season 2 they tried being just friends and it always came back to being more,
like when she didn't like seeing him kissing Leslie in the hallway , The Christmas episode, she totally called him on his feelings for her , The Maternal Capistance, No need to go there
when she called out Leonard's name on her date with Stuart, when that model had Leonard's attention
Old 02-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Part-Time Fan

God I hope that we aren't left on a cliff hanger at the end of the season and it is all resolved in the last episode, because i don't know if I could last three months not knowing what's going to happen
Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer27a (View Post)
God I hope that we aren't left on a cliff hanger at the end of the season and it is all resolved in the last episode, because i don't know if I could last three months not knowing what's going to happen
I completely agree. I hate cliffhangers. Mostly if I have to wait three months to see what happens next.

And about L/P/P situation. I am a girl and we just have that 'feeling' when we see something that's more than just friendship. It's obvious to Pryia that there is something big going on with Leonard and Penny. I think she sees that Leonard still has feelings for her and that she also has feelings for him. If she didn't see that connection between them then she wouldn't have a reason to why feel threatened. Besides, you don't have to have a sixth scent to know how L/P feel about each other.

And about the guys and Bernadette and Amy helping Penny with breaking up Leonard and Pryia, I actually can see that happen. Raj would hesitate because in one side Pryia is his sister, but on the other hand he doesn't want them together maybe because he knows he won't make her fully happy because he is in love with Penny. And Sheldon and Howard are both Penny's friends and well i'm pretty sure they liked them together. Because even if Sheldon didn't say anything he did like them together. And he does care because Leonard is his best friend and Penny is also a good friend of his. And Amy and Bernadette are her BFF's so they want to see her happy.

But that's just my opinion of course.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer27a (View Post)
LOL! Me either. I'm going to be going nuts waiting for the next taping report since they are off this week!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Master Fan

I know I went nuts with the LP cliff hanger from season 2 to 3 but oh that payoff

I do wonder if maybe they won't do a cliff hanger , maybe they will resolve it and let Leonard and Penny just get back together in the season finale
Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Honestly there is really no reason for Penny to hang with the guys as much if Leonard isn't around, Sheldon doesn't like to really "hang out" with anyone really and raj can't talk in front of her, and she doesn't really like Howard that much, it was always Leonard that was the tie that bound Penny to the guys, it was evident this season that Penny became the girl in the hallway, or getting her mail and walking up the stairs.
I love Leonard/Penny, but I don't fully agree with this, actually. Leonard was Penny's reasons hang in the partment in the first place, and while I think he's mostly her reason why she is there now, it's not only that. We have seen her be there when Leonard is not, for example. I think she loves them all, actually. Even Sheldon, even though he annoys her. She probably sees him as a annoying brother or something. She has nothing against Raj from what we have seen so I see no reason for her to dislike him. And she has had her arguments with Howard, but I do think deep inside she cares for him. We haven't seen him being sleezy towards her for quite a while now, if I remember correctly. Penny was there and watched a movie in the last episode when Leonard wasn't there. So I do think she enjoys being there whenever But she's closest to Leonard, obviously
Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Master Fan

well they have been showing her there without him a few times lately but I think they are trying to give her something to do
honestly I can see her trying to hang with sheldon but as we know he doesn't even like to hang in person with Amy, and while she cares about Raj and maybe even Howard I just don't buy her hanging with them unless Bernadette or Leonard or even maybe Sheldon is there, I guess that is really what I meant

I wouldn't buy a Penny hangs with Raj and Howard scene. it just wouldn't go with what the show has built up these past four years

I do however buy it if she and Leonard were still a couple and she was over the apt all the time like last season I could see her waiting for Leonard and the two come over stuff like that
Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yes, some of the latest SP scenes feel forced, not in the actors' performance but in the writing.

Sheldon is meaner and Penny just prefers to not say anything at all, and they weren't like that before. Even the latest SP scene felt like that, because Sheldon was subtly always telling her on her acting career, and Penny didn't do anything at all, whether you are a shipper or not, you must like the interaction between all the characters (hence why we watch the show), and both their personalities had endless possibilities because they are so stubborn in their own ideals, but that's not anymore.

Some of you said so, it's jut not right anymore because that's what the writers have been doing.

Their first kiss ever, the one on "The Hamburger Postulate" on Leonard's birthday. Her gesture was sweet, but it was friendly, and just after six episodes they introduced the sub-plot of their romance, so at least I wanted to see more of the "why". Something meaningful, something that made them click, that made them clash. She didn't have any reason to start going out with different guys from the ones she was going out with so quickly. And although Leonard has come to care for her, at the end he still thinks she is a pretty girl more than Penny. And Penny think he is the best thing because he is nice, but when he was going out with her he was everything but nice, and some of you even said he was a jerk and he was going out with too many girls.

I guess that after all the subtlety involved in other parts of the sitcom, I was waiting something equally as subtle but very clear on their relationship, especially if it was going to be such a recurring theme. But for me, it started out of nowhere.

But this is my last message regarding the conflict development here, before they tell me it's off topic again I just don't know how to post in the season four section, do I just...post?

The kissed sometimes, then they tried to date, and then Leonard goes away and we are told Penny thought about him all the time, but I just can't buy it.

It was sweet when they were friends, Leonard was awkward but sweet and naughty, and he had fun with Stephanie until she started being clingy and rushed. They were some fun parts like him trying to kiss Leslie harder when Penny was with the other guy, but it was still them with someone else that made the scene good.

I don't know, everything seems to be regressing and they seem to be the only ones with a sense of development (but just in regards to their relationship).

Penny seems like a lost one note puppy after him, and I kind of got angry at Leonard for not telling Priya anything. I mean, maybe you could understand why she doesn't like Penny, but he should have said something. Like "Look, she is a friend, there is nothing between us (even is he still has feelings or anything), and she is just not my friend, she also gets along with Sheldon, Howard and Raj, well kinda" that line (obviously better) could have being sweet and funny. And there would be things the writers could have milked out of Penny's interaction with Priya and Leonard, but the writers are rushing things. They are making Shledon an ass, Raj a little bit fruity and they don't even focus on Howard the way it should because if they do that, Lenny will no to be up to par. Hence why some people find season four overall very disappointing (ship bias or not).

Buuuuuut, again, this is just how I see things, and what I've seen in EW, and A.V. Club and some other review sites that have tv before the dot com O.o

Last edited by Fercita; 02-16-2011 at 09:32 PM Reason: Off-topic.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
The Big Bang Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fercita (View Post)
Their first kiss ever, the one on "The Hamburger Postulate" on Leonard's birthday.
Um... Their first real kiss (not counting the kiss on the cheek in episode 2) was in The Middle Earth Paradigm, when Penny kisses Leonard when she's upset about Kurt. They don't kiss at all in The Hamburger Postulate, and the kiss for Leonard's birthday isn't until almost the very end of the season. So I'm still not sure which one you're thinking of.

If you do want to continue the discussion over on the main BBT forum, just make a post about it in an appropriate thread. There's also a "Penny Debate" thread which was recently bumped up, which I didn't even know existed, where this would probably fit.
"Keep looking up, after it rains. Keep looking up."
big bang buzz . twitter . tumblr
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaxor (View Post)
Um... Their first real kiss (not counting the kiss on the cheek in episode 2) was in The Middle Earth Paradigm, when Penny kisses Leonard when she's upset about Kurt. They don't kiss at all in The Hamburger Postulate, and the kiss for Leonard's birthday isn't until almost the very end of the season. So I'm still not sure which one you're thinking of.

If you do want to continue the discussion over on the main BBT forum, just make a post about it in an appropriate thread. There's also a "Penny Debate" thread which was recently bumped up, which I didn't even know existed, where this would probably fit.
Ahhh that's the one I was talking about, I wasn't sure if it was on the Halloween party of the one in his birthday, and then I got the names awfully mixed up.

Yeah, I don't have a hard time finding threads now, thank you.

I just didn't know where I could post things and look where it got me.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think Sheldon/Penny scenes are forced. I usually like them, they're funny. I do think he was quite mean to her in the last episode, though, insinuating basically that she's a whore and thinks she should take that as a compliment. I didn't think that was that funny

As to the "why" she likes him, well, I think they have showed us that. Does everything have to be big?? Can it not be subtle?? I think they have showed us clearly that she thinks he's sweet and nice, etc, and it grew from that. This is not a big complicated show, it's a sitcom. Just go with it And when they get together next time it will be because they have been close friends for quite a while and love eeach other as friends AND romantically I don't see it as something forced or as something that's hard to see. And I definately don't think they are rushing things. They have been building up the whole season so far that something is gonna happen with Leonard/Penny. And they have been building them throughout the show from the pilot. Even them getting together was the writers building them up. Neither of them was really ready to have a relationship at that time and that's why it didn't last. They were in different places in life in regards to where they wanted to go with that relationship. It's obvious to me that that the show will finally have them together for REAL this time when they both are ready and when they're finished with building them up

Last edited by sanna_o75; 02-17-2011 at 04:17 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread