Old 07-02-2022, 02:58 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Buttercup!
Old 07-02-2022, 06:07 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Love what a badass Buttercup is!
Old 02-11-2023, 03:08 PM
New Fan

This is still one of my favorite cartoons.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:43 PM

Old 02-11-2023, 09:56 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JZyxMH4Rvk

Apparently Craig McCracken will be back for another Powerpuff Girls Reboot. This was posted months ago, but I'll believe it when I see it. The last reboot was insulting and horrid, but if this is true at least it could have a chance to be as great as the original with the original creator. Nothing will ever touch the original version for me though.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:00 AM
New Fan

There's going to be another cartoon? I didn't know that.
If there is, then the original voice actresses should return. The newer ones were terrible and didn't sound like them.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:59 PM

I still need to watch that reboot. Here is some information on the 2016 ''Powerpuff Girls'' reboot from Wikipedia: Critical Response: ''The series was met with mixed to negative reviews from critics. Henry Solotaroff-Webber of The Badger Herald enjoyed the series, saying "Overall, this new rendition of a classic animated program is a triumph in my eyes. It recaptures much of what made the last show so important for kids to see while still thoroughly scratching a nostalgia itch for those looking to go back." IGN gave the premiere episode "Man Up" an 8.0 out of 10, saying "While the new voice cast will take some getting used to, and the absence of Cathy Cavadini, Tara Strong and E.G. Daily is strongly felt, the show still manages to capture the essence of the Powerpuff Girls." The Nerdist gave the first two episodes a 4.5 out of 5, saying "if you loved the original show, chances are you'll love these new episodes." Screen Rant gave it a positive review, saying "Although the revival doesn't quite hit the mark on what made audiences fall in love with McCracken's original series, The Powerpuff Girls is an excellent addition to the franchise." Collider gave it 4 stars, saying "it's worth viewing the new version of The Powerpuff Girls on its own merits because it's a solid cartoon that delivers on its promises."

The Occidental Weekly lamented that the series "lacks the impeccable comedic timing and wit of the original" and called the voice acting "mediocre at best", while also criticizing the writing, which it deemed subpar. Slate was critical of the show's "self-conscious feminist overtones", and compared the show unfavorably to the original, particularly the second-season episode "The Powerpuff Girls' Best Rainy Day Adventure Ever". Polygon criticized that the show lost what they considered made the original so special: "fighting seems like an afterthought, as if Cartoon Network wants to keep the Girls a safe distance from the fray", and that the show was a "step backward, not forward". Jessica Swartz of Inverse said that new viewers might not know who the villains are or what their motivations are, as no introduction was given to the characters. Swartz also went on to say that the show focuses too much on the main characters, and overall called it a "mediocre cartoon". Shelby Watson of The All State praised the show's voice acting, but criticized the show's increased focus on the girls' domestic lives rather than fighting crime, and was especially critical of the animation, writing: "The animation is beyond lazy... the art direction itself is catastrophic. Animators routinely forget their own rules on how to animate their characters, leading to a disjointed style that just comes across like the animators don't care." Watson also noted other technical problems in the series, such as inconsistencies in character design or misuse of perspective, saying that they "shouldn't happen in a professional studio."

Despite its mixed reception and low ratings in its native United States, the reboot has been received more positively and met with higher viewership in Europe since being broadcast on free-to-air networks in the United Kingdom, France and Poland.''

Original cast and crew

Before the series aired, Cavadini, Daily, and Strong were displeased to learn the main characters had been recast; Strong called it "a stab in the heart" on Twitter. Strong had announced after the upfront in February that this was a "strictly creative" decision by the network, though in June of the same year said that the network had never contacted any of the three actresses prior to the decision to recast. In an interview with The Comic Book Cast in May 2015, Kenny claimed that McCracken "does give it his blessing", but in May 2016 McCracken denied doing so on his Twitter posts, commenting that he had never given the new reboot his official blessing. McCracken said that he wished that Cartoon Network had stopped their plans for a reboot of the original Powerpuff Girls property but also acknowledged from a financial view why the new series was commissioned. However, at the 2017 New York Comic Con, Strong stated that she had no ill will towards the new cast and had given the show her blessing.''

Controversies

The season one episode "Horn, Sweet Horn" received scrutiny from the media after the episode's handling of transgender themes prompted criticism from LGBT viewers. Sulagna Misra, writing for Fusion's official website, described the character Donny as an "interesting metaphor for transgender identity" but saw poor judgment in the choice to present the transformed character as a monster. She found the larger topic of identity reversed by making the plot so "convoluted" and preferred if the character's monstrous transformation had been a temporary gag instead.Marie Solis of Mic also viewed the episode as a failed attempt to convey social issues, on par with the "Twisted Sister" episode from the 1998 Powerpuff Girls series, in which the main characters conjure up a mentally challenged and physically deformed sister. Dorian Dawes of the magazine Bitch was extremely critical of the episode, calling its message questionable and dangerous in the wake of the House Bill 2 controversy. Dawes denounced the episode as irresponsible to the series' primary demographic and felt it was written solely to make the producers feel righteous about their inclusion of transgender themes. It was eventually revealed that the episode's writer did not even intend for the episode to be about gender identity, and it was merely marketed as such.

Female modifications were also made which included the character Ms. Bellum being written off the show. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Nick Jennings explained "We felt like Ms. Bellum wasn't quite indicative of the kind of messaging we wanted to be giving out at this time, so we sort of had her move on... And that was a good choice I think on our part". This change caused a negative response from critics and fans of the original show, who complained that the removal of Ms. Bellum's character (as well as villainess Sedusa being completely dropped from the show) negated the feminist message of the reboot.''
Old 02-12-2023, 06:24 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodychick (View Post)
There's going to be another cartoon? I didn't know that.
If there is, then the original voice actresses should return. The newer ones were terrible and didn't sound like them.
I forgot about it until I saw this thread bumped, so I thought I might as well post that video in case it does happen. I haven't heard if the original voice actresses will come back, but if their getting CM back they might as well get the original Powerpuff Girls back as well. I remember I was very turned off by the reboot when they didn't even get their original voice actresses back, but now I'm glad they weren't even involved in that crap so it was a blessing in disguise lol.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:09 AM
New Fan

Indeed

The recent reboot is popular in Latin America. Most viewers don't mind the changes.

I remember CN was over-promoting the reboot here in the US by selling toys at McDonald's. Also, there was a fashion show and Paris Hilton was one of the models.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:29 PM

Aw & she dressed her dog up. Cute.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread