Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2015, 12:32 PM
I am a basketball genius!

I like that he can push a button on his suit & turn miniature instantly. Was reading about Ant-Man comics & apparently Scott & Hank both ''die'', but then get to return. Do you like when superheroes do that? I wonder if let's say that would happen to Batman or Superman for example. If Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne ''died'' then someone with a different name would take over the role of him. Though is of course though the Bizarro Superman.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Elite Fan

Superman did 'die' once. They made a big deal about it, and four 'Supermen' took his place.

Until of course they revealed he wasn't actually dead.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Once again, my problem with the Ant-Man movie is that it is based on a script that was never intended to be part of the MCU, and therefore should never have been used. Ant-Man and Wasp never got their own comic book series; both Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne went straight from Tales To Astonish to The Avengers, so their story is more connected to the Avengers than any of the other superheroes. That's why I'm so infuriated by the Ant-Man film that Marvel Studios made, which eliminates Hank and Janet from their rightful place in the Avengers and replaces them with Scott Lang, who never had anything to do with the Avengers. Lang was not part of the Civil War storyline in the comics, or any of the other Avengers storylines for that matter. Hank and Janet have been such important and central characters in the Avengers for so long, that eliminating them is not only disrespectful to their characters, but it damages the MCU in the process because many of the storylines(especially Ultron) don't work without them. Tony Stark making Ultron has already been criticized in reviews of Age of Ultron as not making any sense and contradicting Tony's character. And is the story really improved at all by taking Hank and Janet out of the story and replacing them with an irrelevant character like Scott Lang, and "Hope Van Dyne," who doesn't even exist in the Marvel continuity? No, Hank and Janet never had a daughter; they divorced in the 1980's without ever having any children, and even if they did have a child, they're both in their 30's in the comics and not old enough to have an adult daughter.

Look, it's very simple. If Edgar Wright never intended for his Ant-Man film to be part of the MCU and wrote it as a stand-alone heist film that had nothing to do with the Avengers, then it's foolish to try and shoehorn it into a movie universe that it was never meant to be part of because it just doesn't fit. Even Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige admitted that it wasn't working, which led to Edgar Wright quitting the film. Does any of this sound like competent and well thought out management to you? Would an Ant-Man film with Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne that led into the Avengers(as Joss Whedon originally wanted) not have done just as well if not better? The reviews and box office for Peyton Reed's film haven't exactly been Earth-shattering.

And no, Hank Pym was never dead in the comics. Scott Lang was, but they recently brought him back in 2011 because of this movie being made. As for Hank's many identities and problems, that stemmed from the writers more than Hank. At first, Stan Lee said that they had problems in making scenes look properly to scale whenever Hank shrunk down, which made it difficult to tell what size he was, so he just looked like a guy in a suit. Comics got better at that type of artwork decades later, but at the time it was difficult for them to make Hank's shrinking look convincing or effective. They later had Hank become Giant-Man after he and Janet co-created the Avengers, but the writers had to give Hank that stupid complex about feelling out of place among all these more powerful heroes like Iron Man, Thor, and The Hulk, and having him become Giant-Man as a way of matching them. They could've just had him realize that he needed to upgrade his powers due to the more dangerous foes that the Avengers would normally face, which would be logical.

As for the Yellowjacket thing, that wasn't even Hank's fault. As I've stated, writer Jim Shooter came up with this Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde storyline for Hank where he was involved in a chemical accident in a laboratory experiment that caused the Pym particles in his body to become unstable, making him lose control of his size changing ability. Another thing that the movie got wrong was that Hank and Janet don't need suits to shrink and grow; the Pym particles become permanently absorbed into a person's body with prolonged exposure, giving them the ability to change size whenever they want, making them true superhumans. And Janet's wings were bio-mechanical, growing out of her back, and her bio-stings were the Pym particles harnessing her own bio-electrical energy.

Anyway, after the lab accident, Hank was stuck in Giant-Man form, only able to alter his size between 10 feet tall and 25 feet tall. He changed his name to Goliath during this time, although he eventually regained control of his power. But then the unstable Pym particles began affecting his brain, causing schizophrenia and dissociative personality disorder. This is where the alternate persona of Yellowjacket was created, which was actually a totally separate personality from Hank's. It was during this time that Hank began to experience violent and unstable behavior, none of which was his fault since it was the result of that laboratory accident causing the Pym particles in his body to go haywire and drive him crazy. I've never understood why people gave him a hard time for that.

Anyway, Marvel had a chance to really give Hank and fresh start in the MCU by making an Ant-Man film about him and Janet, and doing what the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon did, which was have Hank be both Ant-Man and Giant-Man at the same time, which would make him a much more well-rounded and versatile superhero, with Janet Van Dyne as The Wasp. Why they chose to go with Edgar Wright's Scott Lang story and make Scott part of Avengers storylines that he was never a part of in the comics and has no right to is beyond me. Especially since Edgar's script by his own admission just wasn't made to work in the MCU, and he wanted no part of it. I mean, if you know you're making an Avengers movie, then you can't very well use an Ant-Man script that's gonna eliminate two of the founding members like that. It seems like an unnecessarily overcomplicated thing to re-structure and re-organize the entire Avengers and Ultron storylines as well as come up with some convoluted back-stories involving Hank Pym and SHIELD just to accommodate an Avengers-incompatible script from Edgar Wright that was never meant to be part of the MCU in the first place. Does my logic sound wrong in any way?

I just think that Marvel had a chance to create something truly great with the MCU and they screwed it all up just to shoehorn one man's square peg of a script into the round hole that is the Avengers when that script was never gonna work in the first place. Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne not being in the Avengers is like Scott Summers and Jean Grey not being in the X-Men, something that Fox has also screwed up a lot.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:20 PM

I'm not sure what Marvel was trying to ''create'' with this film, but guess they'll try again anyways. I didn't mind the movie.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Elite Fan

James Gunn shares story from Guardians of the Galaxy fan on Facebook | EW.com
Old 08-31-2015, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the link. I'm excited about this sequel & if it's as good as the original.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Elite Fan

I am too. It is one of my favorite movies from the last couple of years.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:13 PM

It's 1 of you're favorite overall films from the past 2 years? I haven't seen a lot of movies from this year & last. The ones that were pretty good that I have seen were ''Ant-Man'', ''Foxcatcher'', ''Jurassic World'' & ''Birdman''. I've seen others like ''Whiplash'', but didn't like it as much. ''Big Hero 6'' I need to see still.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Elite Fan

I agree.

Jackman Says Tom Hardy Would Be a Great Wolverine - Comic Book Resources
Old 09-24-2015, 03:02 PM

Interesting. I hadn't thought much about who would make a great ''Wolverine''. Who do you think would?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I actually agree with Hugh Jackman on the casting of Tom Hardy as Wolverine. He's actually closer in height to the character than Hugh was, since Wolverine is short and Jackman is 6'2".

I've pretty much given up on Marvel Studios since they threw Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne under the bus in favor of Edgar Wright's take on Ant-Man, with Scott Lang and Hope "I-don't-even-exist" Van Dyne. I'm so ashamed of Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios I could scream. The Avengers without Hank and Janet is like the X-Men without Scott Summers and Jean Grey. It's just not right. Not when Hank and Janet have been with the team longer than anyone other than Iron Man and Captain America, and deserved to be represented in the MCU. Heck, Hank and Janet are defined by being in the Avengers because that's their comic book title.

So I'm instead looking forward to Batman v Superman and DC's universe. I'm still cautiously optimistic because I didn't like Snyder's work on Man of Steel, but I'm willing to give this one a chance, although I still don't like Batfleck.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:28 PM

Yeah. We disagree on Affleck, but that's OK. Even more than ''Batman vs. Superman'' I'm excited to see ''Suicide Squad'' & ''Deadpool''. ''X-Men Apocalypse'' should be pretty good as well.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Elite Fan

Fake Spider-Gwen trailer.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the Spider-Gwen vid! That was really good! It's strange that Gwen Stacy has been dead since 1973, yet she's more popular now in her alternate universe versions than she ever was when she was alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
Yeah. We disagree on Affleck, but that's OK. Even more than ''Batman vs. Superman'' I'm excited to see ''Suicide Squad'' & ''Deadpool''. ''X-Men Apocalypse'' should be pretty good as well.
I'm willing to give Deadpool and X-Men: Apocalypse a chance.... provided they don't screw up Scott Summers and Jean Grey the way they did in the first three X-Men movies. I'm not too interested in Suicide Squad, though.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 09-29-2015 at 11:29 PM
Old 09-30-2015, 06:06 AM
Elite Fan

Deadpool looks like it could be a lot of fun, and I liked the first two 'new' X-men movies. I don't care that much about Jean Grey and Scott, but given how young the character is going to be in the movie, I'm figuring there certainly won't be any Wolverine/Jean stuff in the future either.