Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2021, 09:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

What Was The Last Movie You Saw? (DISCUSSION)

What Was The Last Movie You Saw?
D I S C U S S I O N

Try to avoid lists; please elaborate on what you liked/disliked about each film

Want to give a lengthy review of a movie? Post in our Movie Reviews thread here
Optional layout for your posts:

Movie:
Year Released:
Actors:
Plot Synopsis:
Rating out of 5 []:
Comments:
Continue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
I haven't seen her in a lot, but "The Talented Mr. Ripley" was amazing I thought. "Great Expectations" I enjoyed & "Se7en" that she was. "Shakespeare in Love" is I think 1 of her critically acclaimed films.
I liked Gwyneth best in Sliding Doors, Great Expectations and The Talented Mr Ripley but the video Allison posted where it's basically confirmed she stole the script for Shakespeare in Love from Winona Ryder certainly casts her in a shady light.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 03-05-2021 at 11:31 AM
Old 03-05-2021, 11:32 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Did not know about that. Unsure if Paltrow did steal that script. Anyway, a strong argument could be made that "Saving Private Ryan" should have won "Best Picture" in 1999 instead of "Shakespeare in Love". "The Thin Red Line" was terrific as well & though nominated for "Best Picture" lost.

Last edited by canflam; 03-06-2021 at 01:25 AM
Old 03-06-2021, 12:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Movie: The Kid Detective
Year Released: 2020
Actors: Adam Brody, Sophie Nélisse
Plot Synopsis: A once-celebrated kid detective, now 31, continues to solve the same trivial mysteries between hangovers and bouts of self-pity. Until a naive client brings him his first ‘adult’ case, to find out who brutally murdered her boyfriend.
Rating out of 5 []:
Comments: This is the first Adam Brody movie I’ve ever really watched and I was impressed with his acting range with more serious material. I’m mostly a fan of Adam as Seth on The O.C. so sometimes I could see Seth coming through in his performance. I thought this was a great entry into the neo-noir dark comedy murder mystery genre.

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 03-06-2021 at 02:47 AM
Old 03-06-2021, 01:31 AM

I just saw Adam Brody in "Ready or Not" & he did well in it. He did well enough also in the film "Jennifer's Body".
Old 03-06-2021, 02:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

I would check out this movie if you haven’t already
Old 03-10-2021, 07:54 AM
Dedicated Fan

legally blonde
Old 03-12-2021, 12:00 AM

OK. Thanks. I watched "The Producers" from 1967 last weekend.

Movie: "The Producers"
Year Released: 1967
Starring: Zero Hostel, Gene Wilder, Dick Shawn, Kenneth Mars, & Lee Meredith, among others.
Plot: "The Producers is a 1967 American satirical black comedy film written and directed by Mel Brooks and starring Zero Mostel, Gene Wilder, Dick Shawn, and Kenneth Mars. The film is about a theater producer and his accountant who, as part of a scam, have to stage the worst stage musical they can create."
Rating out of 5 4.
Comments: "The Producers" is a hilarious film. There was a seen where Zero Mostel & Gene Wilder ride a carousel together in. The splashing coffee on a window to clean it I believe was funny. The musical itself could be considered of course tasteless & that could put people off, since it was about Nazi Germany, but funny movie & worth watching.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

THE CROW [1994]

I cannot stress enough how Brandon Lee's performance is my favorite comic-book performance of all time. And I'm half-convinced that Heath Ledger watched this movie for inspiration on how to play the Joker. (If he didn't, then it's just an eerie coincidence).

Also, they NAILED the connection between Eric and Sarah. Brandon and Rochelle had lovely chemistry. Plus the flashback scenes styled in red showing Eric and Shelley's romance were really well done too, as were the scary flashbacks of the murderers taunting them.

Kudos goes to Ernie Hudson as a worthy team partner of Brandon/Eric.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-19-2021, 05:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Movie: AN INSPECTOR CALLS [tv movie]
Year Released: 2015
Actors: David Thewlis, Miranda Richardson, Sophie Rundle, Finn Cole, Ken Stott
Plot Synopsis: A mysterious Inspector investigates the wealthy Birling family and their dinner guests following the suicide of a young woman
Rating out of 5 []:
Comments: Brilliant acting, particularly Thewis as Inspector Goole. Very well edited, never felt slow. Including various key quotes from JB Priestley's play, maintained a spooky tone that suited Goole's personality. Best thriller I've seen in a while.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-20-2021, 08:13 PM

OK. Good. I watched "Iron Man" last weekend.

Movie: "Iron Man"
Year Released: 2008
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Jon Favreau, Gwyneth Paltrow, & Terrance Howard, among others.
Plot: "A billionaire industrialist and genius inventor, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), is conducting weapons tests overseas, but terrorists kidnap him to force him to build a devastating weapon. Instead, he builds an armored suit and upends his captors. Returning to America, Stark refines the suit and uses it to combat crime and terrorism."
Rating out of 5 4.
Comments: "Iron Man" is a terrific film with a great cast. Jeff Bridges does well as a supervillain in it. I didn't mind Gwyneth Paltrow as "Pepper Potts". Terrance Howard did well. Terrific action in this movie. I'm not a vivid reader of Iron Man comics, but this is an enjoyable film to watch & I'll checkout the others in this franchise.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:03 PM

Movie: "The Client"
Year Released: 1994
Starring: Brad Renfro, Susan Sarandon, Tommy Lee Jones, Mary-Louis Parker, & Anthony Lapaglia, among others.
Plot: "Fast-paced thriller, based on the John Grisham bestseller, about a boy whose life is endangered after he stumbles across vital information about a politician's murder. His lawyer is the only person offering protection from the unwanted attentions of the Mob and FBI - but is she capable of saving his life?"
Rating out of 5 4.
Comments: "The Client" has a terrific cast. It's well written. There was a scene where a woman shot am alarm & then a man in I believe his 60's of not older came out with a shotgun & also git shot at by a monster, then told his wife to get inside & went with her. It was just unysual seeing someone on presumably his own property bring a gun outside & right away get shot at. Yikes. Great movie. Worth watching for those that have yet to do so. "The Client" is currently thankfully on HBOMAX.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:43 AM

I watched "Raging Bull" last weekend on DVD.

Movie: "Raging Bull"
Year Released: 1980
Starring: Robert De Niro, Joe Pasco, Frank Vincent, & Cathy Moriarty, among others.
Plot: "The story of a middleweight boxer as he rises through ranks to earn his first shot at the middleweight crown. He falls in love with a gorgeous girl from the Bronx. The inability to express his feelings enters into the ring and eventually takes over his life. He eventually is sent into a downward spiral that costs him everything."
Rating out of 5 5.
Comments: I watched "Raging Bull" last weekend & it was riveting I thougut. The domestic violence was tough to watch for me, bit it was a terrific portrayl of Jack LaMotta who dealt with a lot of demons. There was a scene where LaMotta took pieces of I think silver off hos title belt thinking that would make it more valuable, but that was proven the opposite. Joe Pasco plays Jack LaMotta's brother in this film & also manages his boxing matches & did well in his role too for this movie. It's also all in black & white for those that didn't know that.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Godzilla vrs King Kong
2021 PG 13
Plot: a sequel to 2019 Godzilla movie /Kong Skull Island 2017
These two monsters Battle it out in the Ocean and Hong Kong
Millie Bobby Brown /Kyle Chandler /Alexander skarsgard
Rating 5 out of 5
This time the movie centered on the monsters themselves. Add in a 10-12 deaf girl, has a special bond with Kong.

Last edited by Logan; 04-03-2021 at 04:41 PM
Old 04-05-2021, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Movie: Blonde Bombshell: The Diana Dors Story
Year Released: 1999
Actors: Amanda Redman, Keeley Hawes, Rupert Graves, Gary Webster, Barnaby Kay, Larry Lamb
Plot Synopsis: Two-part TV film based on the life and death of actress Diana Dors, Britain's answer to USA's blonde bombshell Marilyn Monroe. Covers her three marriages and how her career spanned a range of genres/ups and downs.
Rating out of 5 []:
Comments: Brilliant acting from everyone, particularly Keeley Hawes as the younger Diana and Rupert Graves as her volatile yet passionate first husband, Dennis Hamilton. In fact, I would've been happy to watch a film solely about the two of them. The story is significantly more interesting when it focuses on their marriage, and slows to a halt in the less compelling final half. Family members have often argued on the inaccuracies, particularly regarding how Diana and Dennis were written. That said, the cast do a great job of making Diana's story feel as vibrant as it possibly could be portrayed. The casting of Barnaby Kay is pretty impressive; he eerily resembles Alan Lake in looks. The film speaks to the truth of how tabloids can set out to ruin a pretty woman's career and make them feel that they're only worth what their looks can sell, rather than their acting ability. I would recommend this biopic - for performances, if not purely for historical accuracy.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-10-2021, 12:46 AM

OK. Sounda like a good film. I watched the Disney film "Gus" last weekend.

Movie: "Gus"
Year Released: 1976
Starring: Don Knotts, Gary Grimes, Tim Conway, & Ed Asner among others.
Plot: "Yugoslavian farm boy Andy Petrovic (Gary Grimes) loves soccer, but is useless on the playing field. When he announces to his beloved mule, Gus, that he's giving up the game for good, the animal obligingly kicks Andy's soccer ball far away. Soon, Andy has trained Gus to kick the ball on command. After the story of Gus the goal-kicking mule makes the news, the owner (Edward Asner) and coach (Don Knotts) of a hapless California football team draft Gus ans Andy as their new field goal unit.)
Rating out of 5 3.
Comments: I watched "Gus" last weekend fir the first time & it was entertaining I thought. 1 of my favourite quotes was "Starting this fall for all Atomettes, if you're ten years married or got 3 kids, you're out." That was about cheerleaders trying out if I remember correctly. "Gus" is a silly film, but overall I enjoyed watching it.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread