When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Ehhh I'm underwhelmed. I just don't get that excitement factor I got watching the original cast. I know it's just a trailer, but a trailer can be enough sometimes.

Also, I still feel that Rita Moreno playing a gender-bending Doc character is such a cop-out. Very indicative of the times we're in. Guess that's the only way they could secure her an Executive credit.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen

Last edited by Crystal Clear; 12-01-2021 at 03:49 PM
Old 09-17-2021, 07:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

So I was reading the comments on this article regarding the trailer: HERE - and I figured out why this remake is giving me bad vibes

The depiction of the Jets. You can tell from the gritty cinematography, their dirty clothes and Riff's voice-over dialogue that Spielberg is deliberately portraying them as the enemy. The sole villains.

I don't get the same sense of even ground between the two sides as I did in the 1961 version. All you see in the new trailer is the Sharks surrounded by colors, out dancing in the street (when the hell did that happen exactly? ) and all the focus on them being happy-go-lucky. Yeah, the Jets were always misbehaving but they had a motive in the original - to keep hold of the tiny bit of ground they had to hang out together. "It's all we've got" (Riff). In the new one, it's just "let's go to war." Ehhhh Riff wouldn't say that to Tony. He just wanted his support in all things Jets. They were brothers first and foremost.

The Jets are supposed to be young boys, acting naive and having fun, not just being brutal.

It just feels so far from the original vision of the story that I'm not feeling good about it. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but I just didn't like the one-way traffic of the trailer.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 10-27-2021, 11:01 AM
Moderator Support Team

My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:17 AM
Moderator Support Team

Old 11-09-2021, 10:23 AM
Moderator Support Team

New ‘West Side Story’ Trailer Focuses on the War Between the Sharks and the Jets
Old 11-26-2021, 12:59 PM
Moderator Support Team

Watch: Steven Spielberg Explains Why 'West Side Story' Was His Dream Project
Old 12-01-2021, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Early WEST SIDE STORY (2021) non-spoilery reviews are flooding in...

Mike Faist as Riff is getting Oscar buzz! As he's playing my favorite character, Mike's performance was the only one I really cared to hear about:

Regarding his performance in the 'Tonight' / rumble scene:

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-03-2021, 09:53 AM
Moderator Support Team

'West Side Story' IMAX Fan Event Will Include a Q&A With Steven Spielberg and Cast

‘West Side Story’: Everything You Need to Know About the Steven Spielberg Remake That Has Critics Buzzing

Last edited by My Kind Of Crazy; 12-03-2021 at 12:23 PM
Old 12-07-2021, 11:03 AM
Moderator Support Team

'West Side Story': Steven Spielberg on Creating a Role for Rita Moreno (Exclusive)

Steven Spielberg, Tony Kushner & Rita Moreno on ‘West Side Story,’ Using Spanish Without Subtitles, and Stephen Sondheim’s Involvement

Last edited by My Kind Of Crazy; 12-07-2021 at 11:59 AM
Old 12-07-2021, 07:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

I can't wait to go see the movie on Friday!

Aaron Tveit is Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Always & Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:22 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)
So I was reading the comments on this article regarding the trailer: HERE - and I figured out why this remake is giving me bad vibes

The depiction of the Jets. You can tell from the gritty cinematography, their dirty clothes and Riff's voice-over dialogue that Spielberg is deliberately portraying them as the enemy. The sole villains.

I don't get the same sense of even ground between the two sides as I did in the 1961 version. All you see in the new trailer is the Sharks surrounded by colors, out dancing in the street (when the hell did that happen exactly? ) and all the focus on them being happy-go-lucky. Yeah, the Jets were always misbehaving but they had a motive in the original - to keep hold of the tiny bit of ground they had to hang out together. "It's all we've got" (Riff). In the new one, it's just "let's go to war." Ehhhh Riff wouldn't say that to Tony. He just wanted his support in all things Jets. They were brothers first and foremost.

The Jets are supposed to be young boys, acting naive and having fun, not just being brutal.

It just feels so far from the original vision of the story that I'm not feeling good about it. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but I just didn't like the one-way traffic of the trailer.
you make good points Gwen about the Jets

I’m actually planning on re-watching the original movie soon with my mom because she hasn’t seen it

also I saw some people making points about how they didn’t like the change of the Jets’s nationality from Polish to Irish - do you have any thoughts on that Gwen?

although looking it up before Irish was the nationality in the original story?

Quote:
West Side Story was – in the very early stages of its creation – called East Side Story. Set on the Lower East Side of Manhattan during Passover, it featured conflict between an Irish Catholic family and a Jewish one. The Jewish girl – who eventually became the Puerto Rican Maria in West Side Story – was a holocaust survivor who had immigrated from Israel. The character that eventually became Tony – the Polish-Irish Catholic boy in West Side Story – was an Irish Catholic.
https://artsandculture.google.com/th...GAKyv0zBzGICJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)

Ehhh I'm underwhelmed. I just don't get that excitement factor I got watching the original cast. I know it's just a trailer, but a trailer can be enough sometimes.

Also, I still feel that Rita Moreno playing a gender-bending Doc character is such a cop-out. Very indicative of the times we're in. Guess that's the only way they could secure her an Executive credit.
actually I wasn’t that interested in watching the remake but then I saw a TV special on it last Friday that made me more interested

and I hadn’t seen the trailer yet so I did that too last week and it did make me more interested too

I think the cast looks good especially the ones for Maria and Anita in my opinion but of course nothing compares to the original

also I’ve never liked Ansel ever since the first time I ever saw him in anything back in 2014 in Divergent and since then I still don’t like him (he kinda ruins the movie for me) - if they had picked a different actor to play Tony I would probably be more interested than I already am

I agree

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 12-08-2021 at 12:53 AM
atwoodsmariano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:01 PM
Moderator Support Team

Old 12-08-2021, 05:24 PM
Moderator Support Team

the full TV special from last Friday that I’m talking about was posted on YT

I’ll share it here

okay well I guess that’s only the first half

idk if this will work for you Gwen being in the UK

https://abc.com/movies-and-specials/...est-side-story
Old 12-09-2021, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

I think the special is also available on Hulu! I think I'm gonna try to watch it before seeing the movie tomorrow night!

I have no thoughts one way or another on Ansel. I have seen the first Divergent, and that's about the only thing I know of him, but I'm enjoying his singing on the soundtrack, so I am going into the movie with no expectations, good or bad. I know it won't compare to the original one bit, but I'm not gonna diss it before I see it.

I totally agree with what you said about Rita Moreno's role in the remake, and I don't like how she's the one singing "Somewhere" in the movie and not Tony & Maria. I love that she recorded the song, but I wish it was a bonus track on the soundtrack or something. I'm gonna miss Tony & Maria singing the song together. It's one of my favorite parts of the original.

Aaron Tveit is Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Always & Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top