Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2019, 04:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Update: OP is now complete with a new movie watch schedule for the upcoming months

4 sub-genres are listed under each month + genre. They are optional (either use one sub-genre per week, or just pick any film of the main genre).

Thanks for reading. Please continue with your reviews!
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:24 PM
Moderator Support Team

thanks for updating Gwen
Old 07-13-2019, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Drama/Crime: Monster

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

The lead performances of Charlize Theron + Christina Ricci and their chemistry

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

The attempt to make Aileen seem sympathetic didn't sit right with me at times -- when she mentions her abusive past, it doesn't make sense in terms of how she kills some of the men just to stop them from revealing her identity rather than deeming them as an actual threat. Also, the quick handling of the trial (maybe that was a good thing? To just do a quick montage? I'm torn )

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

Bruce Dern's seemed quite sympathetic. I like how he played it with an awareness that Aileen was dangerous but also needed a companion.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

Aileen for the obvious reason. Also, Selby's naivety was tough to endure as a viewer. (But it's based on reality, so you can't blame the writing.)

+ Comments:

Very well acted, very concisely written scenes, not too long, brutal and raw as it should be

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 07-26-2019, 04:22 PM
Moderator Support Team

Spy Kids (2001)

gonna cheat and do this a week early before matching the genre while it's still fresh in my mind re-watching it today

just so many iconic scenes and great characters/story/action scenes

also love the theme of the importance of family

some of my fave quotes/scenes:

the end of this scene

nothing here in this film not to like

Carmen and Juni and I love their older sister-little brother sibling dynamic (Daryl plays the annoying little brother role well)

I also really like Machete and how he came back to fight alongside his brother after being estranged for a long time

Antonio is really attractive in this movie

don't really have one but I guess Teri Hatcher's character

+ Comments:

cool spin on the spy genre and it's kid friendly

childhood favorite/classic that's always a lot of fun to re-watch

it always strikes me how little Juni and Carmen are in the first movie

The Incredibles 2 was a copycat of this movie and Spy Kids does it so much better #sorrynotsorry

still waiting for the food hydrator

Old 07-30-2019, 06:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Drama/Thriller: The Talented Mr Ripley

The chemistry among the cast, the dark/sexual humor of Freddie Miles (whose intelligence is deeply underestimated by people because of his macho act) and I think Jude Law and Matt Damon are at their all-time committed best in this movie. The confrontation scene between Tom and Dickie is terrifying and upsetting.

The truth about Dickie's and Freddie's deaths remains undiscovered and the police are presented as deeply stupid.

I will also forever question why Dickie's father had to be such a cold-hearted jerk and so determined to believe his own (who he hadn't seen in years) was a murderer whereas he trusted Tom Ripley (a complete stranger) so willingly.

Gwyneth Paltrow's Marge. Very strong, very feminine and very determined. The fact that her opinions are undermined by Dickie's father and she can spot the lies beneath the surface of Tom Ripley are much to be admired about her. Our hearts break for her in that she does not receive justice for the loss of her true love.

Has to be Tom Ripley. Despite all the ways in which the movie tries to pull you into his POV and sympathize with him, what he does is ultimately illegal, immoral and selfish.

+ Comments:

Fantastic performances from the central trio (Jude Law, Matt Damon and Gwyneth Paltrow) and an ending which makes you beg for more (and for justice )

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-06-2019, 01:18 AM
Moderator Support Team

Spy Kids 2 (2002)

this awesome fight scene with just the kids

more favorite scenes:

Juni imitating Gary’s giggle

this scene:

Quote:
You like him and believe him?
l don't like him...... that much.
Gary's a bad guy, Carmen.
Maybe l know that. l think l can change him.
l do not understand you.
And you never will.

https://bellarkia.tumblr.com/post/18515023723

https://alexavegafan.tumblr.com/post/90437547710

I like how Juni helps Romero overcome his fear of facing his hybrid creature creations

I like the scene where Gregorio saves Ingrid’s parents and says that he did it because they’re family

I love the end credits scene and bloopers

nothing here

definitely Emily Osment as Gerti

I like how she tricked her dad at the end

Quote:
Oh, don't even get me started.
Just wait till Mom finds out you tried
to take over the world again.

nobody really

+ Comments:

my favorite in the series

I wish I had a RALPH

love those gadgets

it’s crazy to see what Taylor Momsen looked like back then

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 08-06-2019 at 01:43 AM
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Action/Drama: A Perfect Murder [1998]

Emily was smart and analyzed things about her husband from every angle.

David and Emily being robbed of a reunion in the last third of the movie

Viggo Mortensen's David. I like that he was different shades of a spectrum. He was good and bad. The movie didn't shy away from his selfish aspects as well as acknowledging his genuine love for Emily. He had a shady past yet still stood up to Steven in the face of blackmail. He was passionate, yet vulnerable. Definitely the most tragic character because you did feel he was trying to change now he had met the love of his life.

Steven. In most cases of cheating and deception, I would have supported the one who was cheated on 100%. However, the way he reacts to everything and uses the information to his own advantage proves that he never had true love for his wife in the first place and values money over basic human relationships. He openly admitted to envying David and I believe he saw in him the freedom he wanted for himself but knew he'd never have, so he punished him on those lines. Money was his driving force, and he actually pulled David back into that dark hole he had semi-escaped from.

+ Comments:

A good and compelling retelling of Dial M For Murder, helped by the three leading actors' great performances.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-15-2019, 02:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Action/Drama: Your Son aka Tu hijo [Spanish, 2018]

Seeing it all from the father's perspective and thus sensing his utter devotion to his son as well as doing everything in his power to seek justice.

The reveal of what happened between Marcos and Andrea felt like a cheap add-on to make a gross twist so that your sympathy for him would suddenly evaporate. I just don't feel that this was earned at all. I think they should have added more relationship flashbacks to make their final scene feel even more tragic.

Marcos' father. Say what you will about his final actions in the movie but you cannot deny that he puts his heart and soul into doing anything possible to avenge his son's attack. I feel that any parent would be able to relate to him at some point in the movie.

Not sure I really cared for Marcos' sister... Just so many moments where she stares at the father with inexplicable blankness and I can't tell if the actress was doing that purposefully to imply an emotional distance between them, but it just felt off.

+ Comments:

A compelling Spanish thriller with a great cast... Unfortunately, the reveal in the last 15 minutes of the movie ruins it for me. Hate the twist of 'victim? More like perpetrator' Although I did enjoy the twist of the father deleting the message. There is so much moral ambiguity in that and leaves open the question of what will happen if Marcos ever awakens. Memorable but slightly frustrating drama/thriller

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Moderator Support Team

Jumanji (1995)

gonna cheat again and do this on September 1st b/c I didn’t do my re-watch until today but it’s only a day after August 31st and a long weekend here

I like the whole concept of a board game literally coming to life

this movie is definitely scary for younger kids

that lion

James Horner’s score is great

nothing really

don’t really have one but I like Alan and Judy (Kirsten Dunst is great)

Robin Williams gives a great performance and I feel sad for him when he returns after being trapped inside the board game and finds out his parents are gone

I also like Carl

the hunter guy

+ Comments:

this is a childhood classic for me

the fact that it’s gonna turn 25 next year makes me feel so old

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 09-01-2019 at 06:37 PM
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Thanks for updating this, Allison gonna post a review later
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Sci-Fi / Mystery - ALIEN 3 (Director's Cut)

- The cinematography perfectly reflected the bleak mood of the Prison confinement
- The score by Elliot Goldenthal was creepy
- David Fincher did a great job with the swirly shots from the POV of the alien as it chased the prisoners down hallways

Killing off Hicks and Newt in the opening moments of the movie was such a disgrace to the actors and the characters in the second movie. James Cameron himself has openly acknowledged his own strong feelings about this and how it destroys the family dynamic between them and Ripley that was set up in his sequel. I cannot stress enough how drastic the change in direction for the script of this movie just cast a downer on the whole experience for me. You're immediately thrown into the deep end of a new group of people who have criminal backgrounds, serving life and thus find it much harder to relate to most of these people unlike the second movie.

Dillon, played by Charles Dutton, was so brave and willing to stand up for Ripley when everyone else was reluctant. Also, Aaron was underrated and I understood his desperation to communicate with home as he had a family to get back to.

Golic as the annoying cliche ~idiot~ of the group who nobody wanted around and always saw the alien but couldn't really spell it out for people. Andrews was the typical arrogant boss who didn't believe Ripley's story and Clemens - although a nice man and well-played by Charles Dance - felt way too different in personality from the others and the random use of him as a love interest was just a waste of time in my opinion.

+ Comments:

I'd say guilty of being TOO dark (and this is coming from someone who usually thrives on Gothic or apocalyptic stories), too narrow in its story-telling and a complete diversion from the amazing sequel with Ripley just there to ultimately sacrifice herself, which basically eradicates the hopeful theme set forward by Cameron's movie. Great to look at but unbelievably disappointing. At least it's well-acted, particularly by Dutton and Weaver.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-15-2019, 02:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Sci-Fi / Mystery - TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES

- The trio of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Claire Danes and Nick Stahl in a road trip story arc really allowed the movie to do intimate character/duo moments which raised the stakes and upped the intensity of the movie outside of the cliche action scenes
- The John Connor and Kate Brewster romance had a good foundation, with the backstory given that they had kissed the day before he teamed up with Arnie's character in T:2
- The female Terminator was energetic and engaging to watch

- Too many silly moments. It reminded me of how The Last Jedi jeopardized its meaningful dramatic themes for comedic effect when it wasn't needed. Arnold wearing pink glasses and stealing clothes from a stripper far too silly for this movie genre.
- What was the point of Kate being engaged to another guy? We're given the story that she and John are fated to be together, marry and have children yet it's totally rushed into those moments after her fiancee is randomly killed and turns into the Terminator, and therefore audiences are going to feel that her fiancee wasn't given fair treatment because she has to visibly mourn him but also recognize that they weren't fated so the moving on time period happens quickly.
- Sarah Connor being killed off screen... As a bitter ALIENS fan and someone who hated ALIEN 3 for killing Hicks and Newt off screen, I can understand why the fandom are still irritated by this.

I think John Connor was very sympathetic. He was suffering without his mother, on the brink of suicide... Until Arnie's character reappears and gives him purpose again, and then he is filled in on his future with Kate and his life finally makes sense. I think it's powerful stuff, and Nick Stahl gives a very underrated performance. Serious, yet vulnerable. It's not the confident John Connor as played by Edward Furlong - we see that time has not been fair to John and it feels very true to life.

Scott (Kate's fiancee) should have had a more downplayed role in Kate's life. Making him her fiancee made his death all the more fleeting and wasted because you know she's supposed to be with John and therefore there's no time to grieve for him.

+ Comments:

Great chemistry between Danes, Stahl and Schwarzenneger and the T-X is played by a worthy actress who isn't dull or cold in her acting. Sadly, the movie didn't really live up to expectations in the Terminator fandom and all their great performances go underlooked because of all the plotholes and attempts to recreate the previous 2 movies. In contrast to general opinions, I like the movie and the definitely the Connor/Brewster pairing.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 10-10-2019, 05:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Indie / Drama - THE GIRL NEXT DOOR

It isn't afraid to explore the sadistic psychological depths of someone who is supposed to be a surrogate parent actually be a disgusting abuser and corrupt young children into believing her sick lies.

The ending didn't really feel like an ending. I mean... It just ends. I would have liked to have seen the boys on trial for their actions and seen more of an effort by the paramedics to save Meg, instead of her just quietly dying next to David.

Meg. Loyal and loving to her sister, paying the ultimate price for being brave. She is an incredibly tragic character and the actress does an amazing job of showing the regression of a bubbly personality to someone who has been shamed and humiliated.

Ruth. The epitome of evil. Ruthless (pun intended). She has to be one of the scariest characters I've ever seen, and reminds me of a cult leader in how she can so easily manipulate young minds into following her madness.

+ Comments:

Convincing performances all-round and a low-key horror movie that isn't in your face with gore or shock content. It picks its moments to be shocking and truly frightens when those moments occur. It's also about the human and heartbreaking nature of people who try to escape abusive situations.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 10-21-2019, 04:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

INDIE/DRAMA - I.T. (1990)

The first half and second half other mini-series are equally compelling. Well acted by both the child and adult actors, and a strong continuation of Pennywise haunting them. Also, that scene with Georgie where the camera slowly zooms in on Pennywise's teeth as he's about to eat him is WAY scarier and more suggestive than anything in the new versions.

It could have gone further with the scares factor. I think it's great for its time, and Tim Curry does a fantastic job (and is still the superior actor in that role), but I think they tried so hard to keep it PG-13 that they played it too safe with the amount of horror/gore shown.

I always liked Ben. Shy yet friendly, unquestionably loyal, waits in the wings for the love of his life Beverly and suffers the trauma of being judged by his weight as a child (and becomes a womanizing alcoholic to try and block out the pain of those memories). He felt like one of the more realistic characters of the group, with Richie.

In terms of how you're supposed to hate him, it would have to be Henry Bowers. I credit how watchable he is to the talent of the young actor who plays him in the first half of the series. The unfortunate thing about Henry is that he seems the less dumb of his group of baddies and is somewhat aware of how unfairly mean he's being, yet he chooses to be that way regardless. He also never really repents of his sins when he's older. I think that sucks because Stephen King could have chosen to use Henry as an example of how somehow can be redeemed and choose to turn his life around (and fight for innocent lives) but he just kept him the same and it just felt like irresponsible handling of character.

+ Comments:

IT 1990 will always be the superior IT to me (yes, I am making the obvious comparison with the recent versions). Both aspects of the lives of the protagonists are written and acted strongly. Tim Curry had so much charisma in the role and it doesn't rely on CGI tricks to frighten the audience.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 11-22-2019, 03:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I watched a lot of horror/comedies recently and didn't manage to post reviews of them all, so I'm gonna try and catch up as best as I can
Skam Italia icon
Gwen

Last edited by Crystal Clear; 11-22-2019 at 04:16 PM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top