Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Elite Fan

Darn... Looks like you guys had an intense discussion for a while...I love it!

Anyway. I saw the movie last night on DVD. Hm... I didn't watch it before because I was upset the gods had been taken out of the film, but I finally decided Brad Pitt as Achilles HAD to be seen regardless.

Good movie, VERY confusing... Unless you've read the book or taken a few classes on the thing (which I have, to major frustration). I remember the first thing the Prof. told was "nobody really knows if Homer actually existed, but the Illiad is credit to him so that's how we'll take it".

I love Greek mythology because it's raw, it's extreme, it's tragic and supernatural, etc. But the movie focused on the human/psychological elements that don't necessarily need Hector and Achilles to push it forward, any two heroes could've been there after the story was stripped of its essence.

But as a movie, WOW!!!! Hello, beautiful! That scenery was gorgeous, the actors looked the part, the intensity was palpable in some very dramatic scenes. It was a joy to watch it...if you don't consider the whole Illiad thing.

---

My favorite scene was Paris kneeling at Hector's feet running from his own death, taking refuge in his brother's protective shadow. My heart was CRUNCHED!!! That look on Orlando's face was kille, didn't know the kid had that in him. And Eric Bana, do I need to say how amazing he was.... Especially in that scene!

Achilles was phenomenal, Brad Pitt was criticized for his portrayal but I applaud it. It was brooding, arrogant and conflicted...which Roger Ebert found unnecessary, but I say it was dramatic in a way heroes these days need to be until (another) modern precedent is established for absolutely cold hearted anti-heroes.

But for now, I'll take conflicted, even in such small doses.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR
Achilles was phenomenal, Brad Pitt was criticized for his portrayal but I applaud it. It was brooding, arrogant and conflicted...which Roger Ebert found unnecessary, but I say it was dramatic in a way heroes these days need to be until (another) modern precedent is established for absolutely cold hearted anti-heroes.
Amen to that! I thought Brad did excellent as Achilles. I couldnt see anyone else playing the role other than Brad.

Didnt really care for Orlando Bloom's character. I didnt like him in this movie at all. I like his other stuff, but he annoyed me in this movie.

Check out your favorite celeb pics here @ my Flickr page!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5057603...7611308272723/
adambrodyluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Loyal Fan

I love this movie Brad was awesome in it IMO Orlando Bloom (who I do like btw especially in LOTR) was playing a complete wimp!
Sean Bean was great as Odysseus loved his dialogue at the vey end of the movie!

Im really interested in Greek mythology, I had read the Illiad way before I'd seen the movie and I have to say I was impressed!

Tara
Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Wow, this thread was resurrected from the dead.

Sasha
S.A.S.H.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Elite Fan

After watching it a few more times, my favorite scene is still when Orlando holds for dear life at Hector's feet.

"Is this what you left me for??"

"I'll kill him at your feet, I don't care"
"He's my brother."

So killer.

---

I still can't believe I was fooled into thinking Patroclus(sp?) was Achilles.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:34 AM
Part-Time Fan

I so hate this one!!!They have shown no respect to the greek mythology!!!!!
First of all the war lasted 10 years not 10 days!!!!Achilleas was killed before the Greeks take over the castle!!!!And paris killed him because gods helped him!!!!Helen returned to her home with Menelaos she didn't run away with Paris!!!!Paris was killed a few days after he killed Achileas!!!!!and many other mistakes!!!!This whole project was a mistake!!!
satine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Elite Fan

Awesome news.....

There's a new edition coming out. Troy - Director's Cut (Ultimate Collector's Edition)
Old 08-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sasha
Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Elite Fan

indeed! I've been waiting for this!

I lost my 2 disc DVD but now I'll happily replace it with this when it comes out.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:09 AM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for the DVD news. Can't wait.

Forget Brad and Orlando...................my Eric Bana love began with this movie.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, Hector.

Sasha
Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWalker (View Post)

Forget Brad and Orlando...................my Eric Bana love began with this movie.
Same here!! I was all about Hector. That ACCENT! *dies* That BODY AND FACE AND UGH..... *in heaven*

I said this on the Quotes thread, but his "But you know nothing about dying and you know nothing about love" speech killed me dead. Ah.... Perfect.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:11 AM
SR2
New Fan

Wow it's been a while since i visted this thread. I love this movie; at first i really disliked how the writers changed the story but in the end i got over it. It's hollywood what can you do? Historical movies like this shouldn't be used to teach moviegoers but rather open them up to a world they hadn't known before.

Anyway i just made a good friend of mine watch this- she didn't want to watch the moive b/c she heard orlando bloom acted like a wimp- but she ended up loving it. A year or so before the movie came out, TNT ( i think) did a movie called Helen of Troy, i thought that was excellent; i remember in my HS latin class we spent a class period discussing the differences between the two movies. though we all agreed Helen movie was colser to the story, everyone generally liked Troy.

The best part of the movie was discovering all these actors i had never known about. After seeing Troy i was head over heals in love with Eric Bana and Sean Bean. This was the first movie that i saw were i was like 'wow Brad Pitt is really hot'. The other thing i liked about this movie was that it gave me a different view point of the story. Which made me like some characters more and some less.

I am glad to see they a going to release a directors cut, I hope this means we get commentory and more behind the scenes.
SR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR (View Post)
Awesome news.....

There's a new edition coming out. Troy - Director's Cut (Ultimate Collector's Edition)
As if the movie needed to be any longer!

Seriously though, I really enjoyed it and I'm still baffled that it got the bad press it did.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take -Wayne Gretzky
jthorton17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Fan

Troy was such a good movie, I mean Brad Pitt is in it The cast was awesome. The one-on-one fight scene is one of the best in movies. I still need to buy this one on dvd.

Ships: Dylan/Kelly, Spike/Buffy, Angel/Buffy, Damon/Elena, Cullen/Lily, James Bond/Vesper Lynd, Captain Hook/Emma Swan, Tony Stark/Pepper Potts, Dante/Lulu, Danny/Michelle, Tony/Marah, Sonny/Claudia, Danny/Samantha, Tyler/Caroline, Tuck/Lauren, Rafe/Sami, Batman/Catwoman
DefLeppardFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread