Moderator of ...
Movies

Here's a tragic film that I really couldn't get into:

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I LOVED that film because of the tragic ending. Do you know of the twist ending?
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

Another movie that starts out really nice but gets really tragic in the middle of the movie is the 1997 movie Soul Food and it's about how a family stays together throughout tough times through the love of food. But when the mother gets really sick that's when Soul Food gets really sad. There was also a TV show made of Soul Food but I recommend watching the Soul Food movie and you'll see what I mean
Amapola
LaAmapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi||iê Måë (View Post)
I LOVED that film because of the tragic ending. Do you know of the twist ending?
Yep, I've seen the whole movie

The twist felt like a random late addition, to me. I've seen 9/11 related movies before, something I totally respect as long as it's done right (United 93, for example ) but I felt as if the Remember Me writers couldn't think how to end it, so they just added the Trade Center tragedy into it as an emphatic way to show that tragedy plagues Robert Pattinson's character.

It definitely didn't help that I couldn't get into the movie , or into his character, or into his relationship with Ally.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 07-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I read that the ending was planned from the start actually, and they wanted to show how so many people no matter their family life and relationships were and could be effected by the attacks.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
I read that the ending was planned from the start actually, and they wanted to show how so many people no matter their family life and relationships were and could be effected by the attacks.

I think the ending would have worked more in a film that centered on a person who actually worked in the building. Maybe I'm being too picky.

It wasn't just the ending; I couldn't get into the film as a whole. It felt really slow, and although I'm usually one for angsty relationships, I didn't feel into Tyler/Ally.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 07-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^^ His father worked in the building though, we just don't know that right away.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I go back and forth on wondering whether American Psycho can be partially viewed as "tragic."

In light of Patrick Bateman's ending and how he's basically left living in purgatory due to his lawyer not believing him, it does feel like that was the writer's attempt to portray Bateman as someone fundamentally flawed who actually attempted to do the right thing in the end, then take that opportunity away by portraying society and those he works with as the "enemy" who seem to conspire to keep his crimes a dirty secret.

This is definitely worthy of discussion. The story/book/movie has so many layers to it in terms of the psychology of Bateman and how he reacts to certain events/people. You can analyze everything he does and wonder where the line draws between fiction/reality and good/evil.

Quote:
^^ His father worked in the building though, we just don't know that right away.
True, but I still think it was unnecessary to tag the real tragedy on at the end as a way to try and wrap up Tyler's story-arc. It felt like a way to make the movie bigger in scope.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 07-20-2022, 03:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

currently re-watching Bridge to Terebithia

this movie still making me ugly cry after 15 years

the first movie I ever saw Josh in and his acting in this movie is so good

atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

^ Gwen have you ever seen this movie?