The last Skywalker

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Happy Birthday To Episode VII and Episode IX Director, JJ ABRAMS!

Enjoy this Reylo + JJ behind the scenes pic!

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 07-18-2019, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

This is adorable And keep watch for a young Ben Solo!
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-12-2019, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

A beautiful concept art poster for The Rise of Skywalker by a devoted fan

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-27-2019, 07:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

So... I'm convinced that the Reylo fans who predicted from the beginning that Rey and Kylo are the "Reverse Anidala" (Anakin and Padme) are absolutely right. I do believe that their story will come full-circle as they find the force together and defeat Palpatine.

And I'm looking forward to it

Who else is looking forward to the The Rise of Skywalker?
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

An acute observation of Kylo's behavior in TFA when Han is close by -

More proof that there's still good in him. Han reached out to his son and it was worth it, because he literally got the emotional and physical response to prove that Leia was right and Ben is still in there.

HOPE.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Brilliant take on why Kylo Ren (Ben Solo) appeals strongly to the female side of the fandom -

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-25-2019, 07:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

This is so cute! I love that Rian Johnson is still a Star Wars fanboy at heart despite the pathetic attempts of some "fans" to destroy his enthusiasm for the series. A trooper. -

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-26-2019, 04:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)
Brilliant take on why Kylo Ren (Ben Solo) appeals strongly to the female side of the fandom -

Sorry, Gwen, but that's not the reason why fanboys don't like Kylo.

First of all, Kylo Ren's descent to the Dark Side is pretty much poorly explained and makes him seem more of a petulant man-child than a torn, traumatized person who falls into despair. Say what you want about Hayden's acting, Anakin's fall from grace was far more poignant and well thought out than Ben Solo's. Simply put, Kylo and Rey are perfect avatars of the entitled, reactionary, and hypersensitive Millennial generation.

Second, not many fans like Rey because of how she's been portrayed as a Mary Sue. And no, that's not a sexist term, it's based on a character created in a Star Trek fanfiction called A Trekkie's Tale, which was a spoof of the Star Trek series. Lt. Mary Sue was total wish fulfilling fan fiction, not a well thought out character with depth. And there is a male version of Mary Sue. He's none other than Ensign Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: TNG, and quite possibly the most hated character in Star Trek history according to fans. Even Will Wheaton admits hating his character.

Unlike Luke, Rey was given abilities she shouldn't have. Luke went through three films and two mentors in the form of Obi-Wan and Yoda going from a novice who knew nothing about the Force and having to train using a floating drone while wearing a blast shield over his face during lightsaber training, to having to struggle to make his lightsaber fly into his hand to free himself from the ice cave and defeat the Wampa snow monster, to having Yoda teach him how to make rocks float(as well as R2D2) only to drop them the moment he's distracted, and then have Yoda humble him by lifting his X-Wing out of the swamp when Luke himself was unable to do it, to finally having the powers of a fully trained Jedi in the third film where he's now capable of doing all the things that Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Darth Vader can do. Luke goes through the entire "hero's journey" which conveys depth and growth to a character.

But Rey? In one film, she feels a connection to Luke's lightsaber(which is never explained), learns how to do the old "these aren't the droids you're looking for" mind-pushing trick without even so much as having seen someone do it let alone be taught how to do it, and knows how to make the lightsaber fly into her hands and away from Kylo(who's had years of training) and become a skilled swordswoman even though she's never once held a lightsaber in her hands in her life.

Now, Ellen Ripley from Alien and Aliens was a total badass and a REAL action heroine. She's from the 1980s, so naturally she's better. Look at the difference and you'll know why fans love Ripley but dislike Rey.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 09-26-2019 at 04:40 PM
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Say what you want about Hayden's acting, Anakin's fall from grace was far more poignant and well thought out than Ben Solo's.
Was it, though? I don't think George Lucas really thought out anything other than the fact that he had to fill in 3 movies worth of time with CGI effects before linking the 3rd movie to the appearance of Darth Vader. In comes the Anidala love story, which should have been the driving force of the story but ended up being what most of the fandom chooses to hate about the 3 films (despite the fact that it resulted in the Skywalker twins) and generally, the prequels are not viewed favorably by fans. (As someone who enjoys all 3 trilogies, it saddens me that the fandom is now at a stalemate point where people are harassing others for actually enjoying some of the movies. There's no logic in that )

I usually take sides with brooding byronic heroes who are largely misunderstood by readers/audiences ( Edward Rochester, Edward Cullen and Bruce Wayne to name a few) but I think Anakin's storyline was so briefly dealt with in the prequels that he wasn't done justice. All anybody remembers is what you described Ben Solo as: a whiny bratty child.

I re-watched the Prequel trilogy recently, and this was my basic analysis:

Obi-Wan actually had stronger character development than Anakin (despite being quite a bland, straight-laced personality) and he was only ever intended to be a mentor, not the key role.

I remember watching Prequel reviews on YouTube and people making very valid points in their criticisms of how poorly handled the writing was for the Prequel trilogy in terms of Anakin.

You have Jake Lloyd's young, inexperienced, "I'm-just-here-to-play" acting with CGI races and some creepy foreshadowing with a --look-- from Padme at the end in Episode I.

Then in AOTC, you have a weirdly restrained, monotone Anakin who says bluntly and awkwardly poetic sensual things to try and seduce Padme, who gives him ridiculous mixed signals ("You are wrong about me!" ... "I truly, deeply love you!!!")

Then in ROTS, he falls to the Dark Side... Why? Because of one or two nightmares about a pregnancy that was only confirmed to him like 2 days prior, and he stupidly kills Samuel L Jackson's character despite seeing the arrogance in Palpatine over gaining control over Anakin in that moment, and you're supposed to believe everything he's doing is for Padme yet he ends up FORCE CHOKING her (what the??? ) and yet she carries on believing in him whilst laying dying and he turns to Vader despite three quarters of his body having disintegrated in hot lava and continuing to follow Palpatine despite the fact that he had broken his promise in keeping Padme alive.

I do think that Adam Driver's maturity and experience in acting shows on screen in the Star Wars movies, and despite what fans think of Kylo so far, it helps to see him portrayed by a committed actor who shows complexity in the actions of a man who could otherwise be seen as a villain. I'm gonna keep my thoughts mostly reserved on Ben Solo's overall character development until THE RISE OF SKYWALKER comes out. Without the details of the third movie, I cannot really say if his character arc had a point and was done well.

I can only say that I hope Han and Leia's greatest hope for him is somehow fulfilled. They didn't want him dead and they wanted him free of the Dark Side's influence. If they both die without this happening, then I do feel that this trilogy had no true purpose. It is never just about one side of the Force. It's about balance.

In the mean time, here are some EMPIRE magazine covers for the final Skywalker entry to the series -

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-27-2019, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh, don't get me wrong, Gwen. I totally agree with you about Anakin in The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. I think I've stated before that those two movies seem like mostly filler, although I don't know if you were there to read it. I was mostly talking about Revenge of the Sith, the only prequel movie worth a damn. But I must say that I still find these new movies a bit pretentious and insulting at times. George Lucas himself said recently that he felt "betrayed" by what Disney did, and since Stan Lee's daughter also criticized Disney and Marvel for how they treated her father and his legacy in his final years I feel that there's valid criticism to be made.