Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2019, 07:27 AM
Total Fan

Probably a safe assumption. Haven't watched that one either, pretty sure The Curse of the Black Pearl is still the best.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Dead Man's Chest was a pretty good sequel, if only because the Jack and Elizabeth interactions were heated and interesting

Johnny definitely earned his Oscar nom for COTBP and I think he would have won, if the movie came out in THIS era.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Alycia Debnam-Carey

Is there going to be another movie?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^^ No idea. There are rumours there might but not with Jack Sparrow. If Johnny Depp is not in it, it's not a Pirates movie.
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Moderator Support Team

‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ Reboot on the Way from ‘Chernobyl’ Writer
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Oh no

Can they stop draining every little cent out of this series that is long past its sell-by date?

I haven't even watched the 4th or 5th ones.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-14-2020, 05:09 PM
Moderator Support Team

Jerry Bruckheimer Unsure of Johnny Depp’s Involvement in New ‘Pirates’ Sequel
Old 06-26-2020, 01:37 PM
Moderator Support Team

Margot Robbie to Star in New ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ Movie from ‘Birds of Prey’ Writer
Old 06-26-2020, 03:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)
Oh no

Can they stop draining every little cent out of this series that is long past its sell-by date?

I haven't even watched the 4th or 5th ones.
very true

I already accepted At World’s End as the ending

I did appreciate getting to see Will and Elizabeth reunited in the 5th movie though

it made me a bit teary-eyed (it was just beautiful)

there were some surprisingly good things about Dead Men Tell No Tales though

I definitely liked it more than the 4th movie
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:26 PM
Total Fan

I really dislike how every sequel introduces yet another cursed pirate crew as the bad guys. It's so lazy, they just did the same old thing over and over again. Disney were evidently more interested in wringing every penny they could out of this franchise than actually trying to tell a good story.

Cutler Beckett and the East India Trading Company should've been the villains of parts 2 and 3. The story could've been about Beckett coming to the Caribbean to enslave Tia Dalma/Calypso and using her power to dominate the oceans. That way you still get antagonists with magic without rehashing the cursed pirates. The crew of the Black Pearl were legendary in the first movie, but the sequels really diminished that by introducing several other cursed pirate crews all over the Caribbean.

It could've been a story about freedom (Jack) vs. oppression (Beckett) that delved more deeply into the themes in those movies about the shrinking world and the value of self-determination. There's a deleted scene from At World's End that should've stayed in he movie between Jack and Beckett that made them deeper characters, fleshed out their rivalry, and revealed the reason Jack became a pirate and how he got branded by Beckett: Jack freed slaves who were being sold by the EIC.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori (View Post)
Cutler Beckett and the East India Trading Company should've been the villains of parts 2 and 3. The story could've been about Beckett coming to the Caribbean to enslave Tia Dalma/Calypso and using her power to dominate the oceans. That way you still get antagonists with magic without rehashing the cursed pirates.
Tom Hollander did a great job as Beckett. I remember having seen him a short time earlier with Keira in 'Pride & Prejudice', and the way he could perform such a devious person like Beckett after playing such a nervous underdog character like Mr Collins was very impressive

Also I remember a few years ago, his famous death scene in POTC: AWE "It's just... Good business" became a meme in the video game industry

Quote:
The crew of the Black Pearl were legendary in the first movie, but the sequels really diminished that by introducing several other cursed pirate crews all over the Caribbean.
My favorite characters other than Sparrow were Barbossa and Norrington.

Barbossa was underutilized after the first movie unfortunately, and Norrington was undervalued - Jack Davenport really conveyed his deep feelings for Elizabeth in the third movie
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-20-2020, 12:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

if you want more Barbossa I recommend the 5th movie Gwen

Spoiler:
Old 08-20-2020, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Ugh he
Spoiler:

His DMC comeback was an epic moment for the series. I remember the crew saying that the cast reactions in that final scene were 100% real, as they didn't know he was due to appear.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-20-2020, 07:07 PM
Total Fan

Spoiler:

Barbossa's comeback was pretty awesome. After Jack, Barbossa is the next most indispensable character to the franchise. I definitely wish they gave Norrington more to do.

Watching these movies as a kid I admittedly didn't think much of Beckett because he was another stuffy lord in a powdered wig, but now I have more appreciation for him. Chameleon actors like that are astounding. Burn Gorman played a total scumbag murderer in Game of Thrones and a nerdy, passionate mathematician in Pacific Rim, and I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that they're the same person. It's like when you find out Luke Skywalker is the Joker.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Spoiler:
Reply   Post New Thread