Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2004, 01:17 AM
Obsessed Fan

I like Hilary and Lindsay.

I won't go to see this, I'll wait to vid.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Fan

hey everybody.i think lindsay lohan is a good actress and i loved her in freaky friday.this movie looks soo cute and interesting...the guy in the movie..he was in american pie 2 played stifler's brother.his name in real life is eli last name has an m in it.i can't spell i will post it later.
ScorpioGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:43 AM
New Fan

countdown to confessions-1 day!!! So have you guys been checking out all her public appearances this week-Monday-TRL she "loves" Duff [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Now did anyone see her interview with Letterman? Wanted to drop along the video for Confessions-with guess who? LL-gets me pumped for the movie..
http://www.aolmusic.com/artists/artb...oc=mu-def-s2l0
loveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Fan

she really does have a nice voice...i loved her voice in freaky friday.
ScorpioGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I watched Lindsay's interviews on Letterman and Regis & Kelly earlier this week. She looked really great and acted so mature for her age. I'd probably go watch this movie this weekend. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:10 PM
New Fan

yeah, baby-6:45 tonight-I'm there [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Saw these reviews in the La times and Ny times-I wanted to share with you all- they describe our up and coming Lindsay as one of the staples in Hollywood-like Kate Hudson!
http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/r...,6243263.story

MOVIE REVIEW-LA Times

Rockin' 'Queen' really rules

At a time when crassness and dumbing down pervade popular entertainment, "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" dares to be smart.

By Kevin Thomas, Times Staff Writer

"Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" is so much like a colorful, fanciful pop-up Valentine's card that it should have opened last weekend, yet a movie as funny and sharply exuberant as this Disney production is welcome any time. This affectionate satire of the clichés of the teen-angst movie effectively teams "Freaky Friday's" Lindsay Lohan with Alison Pill, recently seen in "Pieces of April," brings on Megan Fox as the sleekest of villains and affords Carol Kane one of the wackiest roles of her career.

Lohan's smart but self-dramatizing 15-year-old, Lola Cep, has just been handed what she considers a fate worse than death: Her divorced mother (Glenne Headly) is moving the family from their Manhattan apartment to that terrible wasteland, New Jersey. Never mind that their new home is a charmer in the leafy, upscale commuter community of Dellwood (actually Montclair).

A girl has to make the best of it, so off goes Lola, whose real name is merely Mary, to high school decked out in a harem-like outfit. She makes a vivid impression, striking up a friendship with Ella (Pill), a shy rich girl with whom she shares a passion for the British rocker Stu Wolff, lead singer of Sidarthur. Lola is immediately snubbed by the most popular girl in school, Fox's gorgeous but humorless and self-important Carla, who can't resist dropping that her entertainment lawyer father rep-resents Sidarthur along withJewel and other music luminaries.

Lola, an aspiring actress (what else?), and Carla swiftly find themselves competing for the title role in "Eliza Rocks," which their drama teacher (Kane) has reworked from Shaw's "Pygmalion." At about the same time Sidarthur announces it is splitting up — but not before giving a farewell concert in Manhattan, and Lola determines that she and Ella must attend it, as well as the after-party to which Carla has already secured an invitation.

Veteran writer Gail Parent and relative newcomer director Sara Sugarman, in perfect sync, understand that these events are earthshaking to Lola and view her compassionately, yet find her self-absorbed lack of perspective an endless source of humor. Parent, who created and produced the classic spoofy soap "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" and was a co-executive producer of "The Golden Girls," has a scintillating way with dialogue. Losing out to Lola in the competition for Eliza, Carla insists she got the role she really wanted, Mrs. Higgins, who she asserts has "contemporary resonance." When Lola is down in spirits she declares she is in a state of depression "only Hamlet could understand."

Lola and Ella's adventures in Manhattan and the staging of "Eliza Rocks" are so inspired and hilarious that it wouldn't be right to reveal them. Let's just say the school play "Eliza Rocks" is so clever and energetic the filmmakers have it both ways: It's funny and sensational. Burning away inside Kane's ultra-hyper Miss Baggoli, whose tight curls, sensible shoes and dowdy clothes were something of a rarity in a classroom even in the '40s, is an Andrew Lloyd Webber and Twyla Tharp. Beneath its zaniness, Kane's inspired portrayal is a homage to every eccentric but dedicated and impassioned teacher.

"Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" fizzes and sparkles with its crisp, vital performances, and its witty energy extends to Lola's extravagant fantasies. But it is anchored in the emotional reality of Lola liberating the inhibited Ella, who returns the favor by forcing her friend to get in touch with herself and not run away from troubles mainly of her own making.

At a time when crassness and dumbing down pervade popular entertainment, especially movies aimed at youthful audiences, "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" dares to be smart.

'Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen'

MPAA rating: PG for mild thematic elements and brief language

Times guidelines: Suitable for all ages

Lindsay Lohan...Lola

Alison Pill...Ella

Carol Kane...Miss Baggoli

Megan Fox...Carla

Adam Garcia...Stu Wolff

A Buena Vista Pictures release of a Walt Disney Pictures presentation produced in association with Argentum Film Produktion GmbH & Co. Betriebs KG. Director Sara Sugarman. Producers Robert Shapiro.
http://movies2.nytimes.com/2004/02/2...es/20CONF.html

A Teenager Struggles to Star in Her New Town-NY Times

By DAVE KEHR

Published: February 20, 2004

Tweeners — that audience of preadolescent girls caught between Nickelodeon and MTV — are the demographic target of "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen," a Walt Disney production starring the apple-cheeked Lindsay Lohan.

Ms. Lohan, who made her movie debut in Disney's 1998 remake of "The Parent Trap" and co-starred with Jamie Lee Curtis in last year's sleeper "Freaky Friday," looks to have about 15 minutes left on the meter as a child star. Now 17, she is becoming distinctly womanly and will probably turn up soon as a rival to Kate Hudson and Drew Barrymore in romantic comedies intended for older girls.

But for the moment she still has her bright-eyed, baby-fat innocence, which serves her well in this modest, mildly engaging film.

A proudly bohemian resident of Greenwich Village, Ms. Lohan's Lola is uprooted from Manhattan and transplanted to a prosperous suburb in New Jersey when her mom (the enduring Glenne Headly), a potter, decides she has had enough of the big city.

Used to being the center of attention with her swirling outfits, honey blond hair and flair for self-dramatization (she dreams of becoming an actress), Lola is astonished to find herself the odd girl out at her new school, dominated by uptight preppies led by the imperious Carla (Megan Fox).

To wrest away Carla's crown, Lola must beat her out for the lead in the school play (a musical production of "Pygmalion"retitled "Eliza Rocks") and gain entry to a super-cool party in SoHo thrown by the rock star of her dreams, Stu Wolff (Adam Garcia). With the help of her new best friend, the mousy, uncertain Ella (Alison Pill), Lola lays her elaborate plans.

"Confessions," which opens today nationwide, was directed by the British filmmaker Sara Sugarman ("Very Annie Mary"), which may explain why its New Jersey looks more like Beverly Hills than North Caldwell. It seems to function on a similar cultural basis, grounded in conspicuous consumption and the pursuit of celebrity. (Of course, it's also the kind of New Jersey you reach by taking the PATH train.)

The screenplay by Gail Parent (who wrote "Cadet Kelly" for Ms. Lohan's archrival, Hilary Duff) walks a fine line between celebrating Lola's bluntly materialistic values and teaching little moral lessons: one should not lie to one's best friend, for example. There are a few traces of what once may have been a subplot involving Lola's attempts to reunite her divorced parents (her dad is a children's book writer who still lives in Manhattan), but for the most part Lola is a totally and unapologetically self-involved creature. Tweeners will love her.

"Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" is rated PG (Parental guidance suggested) for some mild suggestiveness and vulgar language.

CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE DRAMA QUEEN

Directed by Sara Sugarman; written by Gail Parent, based on the book by Dyan Sheldon; director of photography, Stephen H. Burum; edited by Anita Brandt Burgoyne; music by Mark Mothersbaugh; production designer, Leslie McDonald; produced by Robert Shapiro and Jerry Leider; released by Walt Disney Pictures. Running time: 97 minutes. This film is rated PG.

WITH: Lindsay Lohan (Lola), Adam Garcia (Stu), Glenne Headly (Karen), Alison Pill (Ella), Eli Marienthal (Sam), Megan Fox (Carla) and Carol Kane (Miss Baggoli).

***ANOTHER ONE FROM YESTERDAY’S LA TIMES:
http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/c...,6017692.story

Turning Hollywood into her playground-LA Times

By Lisa Rosen, Special to The Times

"She's a free spirit. An elf. A pixie. Ariel from 'The Tempest.' " So says Jerry Leider, producer with Robert Shapiro of "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen," which opens Friday. The Disney movie stars Lindsay Lohan, of "Freaky Friday" fame. But Leider's not referring to the young actress. He's waxing rhapsodic about director Sara Sugarman. Shapiro chimes in: "She has a great cinematic eye; she's very inventive. And at times she can make Robin Williams appear comatose."

Quite a buildup, but a visit with Sugarman bears it out. She has a sprite-like quality and a shock of hair that spikes around her expressive face like so many exclamation points. A charming accent attests to her hometown of Rhyl, Wales. "I'm a Welsh Jewish filmmaker," she says. "I'm the best and the only one."

Working on the Disney lot while finishing her film, she picks up a publicist's memo on how to prepare for an interview. " 'Talking points: "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" is an all-out comedy with attitude about what happens when a girl named Lola moves to the 'burbs of New Jersey with her family from her beloved New York City....

" 'I'd always wanted to make a film that was for teenagers,' it says I said, 'a movie for every 14-year-old out there who's had to go to a new school with a zit on her chin and deal with extremely complex high school relationships.' "

Did she really say that? "I don't remember," Sugarman deadpans. "I might have been drunk."

When it comes to drama queens, it takes one to direct one. Sugarman — who is in her late 30s — is no queenie come lately. At 11, she ran the Sara Sugarman School of Dance and Drama on her lawn. "All the kids in class would come. I'd get my mum's broomsticks, and they'd tap dance with them." She even handed out report cards for their parents to sign.

Sugarman then went through an Anna Karenina phase, walking along the seashore in an Astrakhan coat, with a lamb on a leash. Next up were futurist Russian poets. "These guys were like punk rockers in 1910, and I was obsessed with them." While other kids were into Duran Duran, Sugarman dressed up like a different poet every week.

Sugarman's father, Paul, owned a shop called Mr. Paul Clothes for the Modern Man. He "had a T-bone mustache and big sideburns. He was like the Tom Jones of my town. I was brought up very glamorously." She considered herself the daughter of a celebrity, a feeling that still boosts her confidence. "I walk through doors that perhaps other people might think twice about, but it's really because I'm Mr. Paul's daughter."

Mr. Paul's daughter left home at 14 to pursue an acting career in London. She worked in TV and films for 10 years, then enrolled at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. "It was brilliant discipline in the classics, breaking a play down and understanding the actor's technique. Everything I learned at RADA has enabled me to direct today," she says.

She started working in the South Wales village of Pontycymer, making short films. That's where she met Wendy Phillips, the local school's cleaning lady and a natural comedian. Phillips became Sugarman's muse and star. "I was John Ford, she was John Wayne; that's how I look at it." Phillips didn't mind filming, as long as she could get to her bingo by 6 p.m.

The short films from Pontycymer earned Sugarman attention on the film festival circuit, and her subsequent feature, "Very Annie Mary" starring Rachel Griffiths, brought her to the attention of Hollywood, where her adventures continue.

While shooting "Drama Queen" in Toronto, Sugarman came across a boy in a parking lot who was singing "Living for the City," a song she wanted to use in the movie. She made producers listen to him sing on her cellphone and then declared that not only was the song definitely in, but they had to give the kid an audition. "Everybody thought I was mental," Sugarman laughs, "because they'd just hired this director from Wales who was now employing passersby in parking lots." The boy landed a role in the chorus.

"I don't think I've had a better time with a director," costume designer David Robinson says. "She was always fresh and willing to try new ideas. She didn't ever get caught up with something she had in her mind from a month ago."

Lohan agrees with the assessment, adding, "She has more energy than me." Asked what it was like to work with Sugarman, Lohan was hard-pressed to remember. "We never really got down to work," she says, because "we were always still kidding around."

Kidding continued off camera. Sugarman recalls one prank that involved Disney executive Brad Epstein. "He planned a Mossad-type operation and got two water guns. Not pistols, but like Kalashnikov rifles, and we went on a top secret mission up to Lindsay's suite." Lohan opened the door and got soaked. The director and executive chased their star down the hallway and out the fire exit. Sugarman cheerfully blames the entire episode on Epstein.

Sugarman then turns back to the memo, shredding a list of suggested questions.

" 'Tell me about the movie.' Hmm, go see it.

" 'What's up next for you?' Welfare.

" 'Did you read the book prior to making the film?' Hello, duh.

" 'What actors would you really like to work with?' "

She stops a moment to think. George Clooney's name is mentioned. "Yes, please, I should cocoa!" She then translates, " 'I should say so.' " She would gladly work with kids again too. "I really had an empathy; maybe I just never grew up," she says.

Her film is a tween dream, full of fashion, fantasy sequences, singing, dancing, catty girls and cute boys. Disney executives, enthusiastic about its prospects and hoping to replicate the popularity of "Freaky Friday," moved the opening from April to Friday.

The only problem Sugarman has working in Hollywood is that nobody pronounces her name correctly. (Sara has a soft first a, as in car.) "I'm really having a hard time," she laments. "I've just got to change my name to something completely different, like Constantinople Sugarman."

Otherwise, she's become so comfortable with studio life that she plans to stay on the Disney lot. She's never had her own office before, and she's not giving up this one. "Michael Eisner, Dick Cook, Nina Jacobson can tell me to leave and it ain't happening. And if they try to get me out by force, I'll use my Kalashnikov."

Don't mess with the queen.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:56 AM
Addicted Fan

I've been a fan of Lohan since The Parent Trap, and I loved her iin Freaky Friday. But frankly, she's not quite credible as a drama queen.

I went to see this movie with my friend tonight. We weren't really excited about it, but we thought it'd be a fun Friday-night movie. I was actually a little disappointed. Lohan could've done better (although, her voice is very nice, IMO), and the supporting cast doesn't really stand out. The plot is a bit slow at times, and sometimes even borders boring. However, it is somewhat original with Lola's "daydreams" (you'll see what I mean), and I liked all the literary and pop culture allusions (Hamlet, Marilyn Monroe, etc.)

Don't get me wrong; I love Lindsay Lohan. It's just that I would most definitely prefer either The Parent Trap or Freaky Friday over this.

[ 02-20-2004: Message edited WinterPolaris ]

[ 02-21-2004: Message edited WinterPolaris ]
Old 02-23-2004, 12:37 PM
New Fan

I saw it also on Friday night-initially was suprised to see so many parents there too? Funny [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I thought the movie was cute-over the top at times but I really enjoyed the rocker character-(Eli) and thought it was really good in the end-and WAS SO HAPPY that the snobby character got what she deserved.That's what she gets for being so mean to everyone!
Old 02-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

Adam Garcia was hot in the movie. Okay I have a question when he and Lola are taking about his song lyrics (when he was drunk) he said something like "swirly whirly". Anyone knows what he said? I liked the line. I just can't remember it.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Master Fan

I saw this movie last night. It was really cute. Lindsay Lohan is a good little actress. Adam Garcia played a funny English drunk. And Eli Marienthal. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Cutie. He's got a great smile. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] I loved the drama teacher, she was so cute.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
last beautiful girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:44 PM
New Fan

yeah-oh so close to remembering-but can't [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Definite cutie he was for sure-and the teacher sorta reminded me of the majorly in need of a makeover Clueless teacher-and in the end she ended up finding love in the rocker-lucky gal [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lindsay sure looked gorgeous though-didn't she, singing was awesome!
Old 02-28-2004, 04:23 AM
Elite Fan

Just saw it tonight...The theatre wasn't even full. I'd have to agree and say that if Hilary Duff was in the movie, I wouldn't bother. I honestly can't stand that girl. Lindsay looked beautiful and she sang very well too. I didn't really like the whole storyline/plot to the movie, it was just...weird.

Does anyone know the name of Sam? He's very good looking, I hope to see some more of him. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Join the John Mayer campaign!
**SuperGirl** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Loyal Fan

I saw this movie a few days ago and I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The story was just kind of incomplete, almost. They focused on one thing and just ignored another - like Lohan's character's relationship with that boy she liked (am drawing a blank on names, sorry). When she asked him for the favor, I was like, They're FRIENDS? When did this happen?

The theater was full, but only because there were TONS of little girls there (they were talking about how they go on Lohan's website daily and they know all the words to the songs she sings in CoaTDC and her other movie Freaky Friday [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] ). I don't think teenagers will bother with this movie. That movie was 89 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

"It does not say that."

"You're right. But it would be so classic if it did."
Chippewa Falls Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Elite Fan

Heh, looks like I answered my own question. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] His name is Eli Marienthal. I posted a pic below, it's the most recent one I could find of him. I wish there were more...

[ 02-28-2004: Message edited **SuperGirl** ]

Join the John Mayer campaign!
**SuperGirl** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think Lindsay Lohan is great, but, I also like Hilary Duff aswell. Although Lindsay does seem to be slightly better in movies. Can't wait to see the film

Does anyone know where it opens in the UK?