Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

Blade Trinity Review: Possible Spoilers - Beware!!

Hey to Blade Trinity fans,
I just saw the film!! It was in theatres here [Southern California] as of Wednesday, 12-8-04. I'd give it an overall grade of "B"; good but not great. Wesley Snipes was cool as Blade. Very much like his original portrayal. Even less talkative and more obscure, though. Some of the other characters took up lots of screen time, taking the burden of carrying the film off Snipes. Jessica Biel was better than I thought she might be at her role. Very good acting work from Jessica. Ryan Reynolds was good as vampire killer, Hannibal King. Although, it was nearly a half an hour into the film before you see him. True to preview pics, Ryan is looking extra buffed and lean, and is sporting a bit of a beard. He loses his shirt at one point in the film, and a short while later he's seen wearing a white wife-beater style T-shirt. I'm thinking, uh, Mr Director, if he went to all that trouble to get into tip top shape, why not just do the rest of the fight segment shirtless? Works for me. The viewer is left wondering where he picked the clean looking shirt up? He didn't get a chance to go home and take a shower. Don't they do test screenings of these films? Oh well, no point in second guessing the silly director.
The action sequences are state of the art, but action films have sort of run into a wall here. There's just so much you can do to make a fight scene sensational and fresh looking. After a while they all start to look alike. There's also a lot of cross fertilization between action movies. Blade Trinity has a bit of the Tech feel of "X-Men", and reaches for some of the art direction of "Underworld". Didn't quite make it. The film was well produced, though. One new wrinkle on the dusting of vamps. In most vamp films the dust is just dark grey powder, that falls to the floor. But in this film, it glows red briefly, kinda sparkly like fireworks. There's no romance in the film at all. No time. Everyone's fighting everyone else most of the time. It's action, action, and more action. Dialog is kept to a minimum. One of these days they are going to do an action film with no dialog at all. Ha! They're getting closer all the time. Very much a guy's flick. You can see this film without having seen the first two Blade films. It doesn't, as far as I could tell, make any reference to the incidents of the previous two films at all. It might help explain the presence of Kris Kristofferson, though. Go and see it yourself!! Let us know what you thought.
End
Jojo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Obsessed Fan

Good review, JoJo888

I am going to see this movie tonight and then give you all my impressions as well.

However, even before seeing it, I think you hit -the-nail-on-the-head with regards to everything that has been done in action movies has been done... Which is why even a truly original fight scene, or action sequence doesn't come off all that original or thrilling any more because movie fans have "seen it all".
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Addicted Fan

Well, I just came back from seeing the movie this morning. I'm giving it a grade of A, but then of course I'm not that hard on movies. I go there to be entertained and to enjoy. Blade: Trinity did exactly that. I'd give it an A+ but there is a question I'm left asking and I can't mention it without giving out a spoiler. So, I won't.

However, the rest of the movie was awesome. Ryan Reynolds character, Hannibal, was refreshing. He was tough yet hilarious without being ridiculous. Jessica Biel seemed to be a bit like the female version of Blade except a little more relaxed. Either way, I loved her character and I usually can't stand anything that girl does.

Parker Posey looked ridiculous as a vampire! I couldn't quite figure out if that was the way she was supposed to come across or if she just actually looked retarded as a vampire. However, I'll confess her character was entertaining to watch just because it was ridiculous.

The action was great. Triple H was a neat addition. As for Dracula, I couldn't help but think about how huge this guys head was!
as I watch the walls descend
as I watch the walls descend like stars
SweetLisaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thoughts on Blade - Trinity:

The Good

-It's a Blade movie
-Lots of action and good fight choreography
-Cool new weapons
-It's rated "R" and didn't try and dumb itself down to a PG-13
-Good pacing
-Interesting theories about Vampyre Eugenics and the origins of Drakula

The Bad

-Blade (Wesley Snipes) barely says a word through out the entire movie.

While he is supposed to be the strong, silent type whose actions speak for themselves, unfortunately, there really was no interaction between him and the Nightstalkers (Ryan Reynolds; Jessica Beils crew) other than him to admonish and lecture them a few times.

I thought there should have been more of an emotional impact... Especially, considering there is a spoilerish event that happens that you would think would allow him to show his vulnerable side... But it was like that event (when it happened) didn't even phase him.

-Jessica Beil was actually tolerable in the movie. She had cool weapons and wasn't as annoying as I thought she was going to be.

-Ryan Reynolds was great as Hanibal King... But I felt a lot of his one-liners were really forced and just there for the sake of getting a laugh, or two... But the movie still would have been the same without them is my point.

It seemed like David Goyer knew the plot and logic of the film really isn't that great, so he tried to disguise it by making it look like the film doesn't take itself too seriously... But agian, I think Hanibal King could have been used in a much better capacity rather than the stereotypical comic relief.

-The logic of the plot didn't make any sense... Kind of like Blade II. Also (and I don't think this is spoilerish), half way through the film the emphasis on the plot gets thrown completely out the window for the inevitable Blade/Drakula showdown during the finale.

The Ugly

-There really isn't anything ground breaking in Blade Trinity in terms of technical, or visual effects and or stunt work.

Like we were discussing before, it's all stuff we've seen and will see with future action movies (car chases; martial arts fights; etc).

-As mentioned earlier... The plot falls apart at the end to where it really makes no sense. I think this may be what Evenrue is referring to and why we can't really discuss it here because it does contain spoilers for those who haven't seen the film.

-----

Overall, I think Blade Trinity isn't a bad movie. Like others said... It's meant to be escapist, high octane adult-action entertainment and it delivers on that level.

I just wish it was "more". Meaning, more of the Nightstalkers, more of a real plot and more of examining Blade's reaction to his new "family" and other things that other action films tackle (even in cliched ways).

There is a hole where Blade's (the movie) heart should be and probably would have served the story better had it been included.

I think Blade fans will be happy... But those who are into Vampyre Lore and other genres may be left out in the cold because of some of the plot inconsitencies and the fact that while you don't have to have seen Blade and Blade II... There are some things that alluded to that took place in the first films and they do effect the plot to some extent (very minor), but they are there and that is why I bring them up.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:42 AM
Ultimate Fan

i don;t want to sound cheesy but do ryan and jessica kiss in the movie?
ScorpioGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:24 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by RoswellCutie86
ryan reynolds looks so good in it!! those muscles!
Hehe, they showed a clip on Jimmy Kimmel last night (he was on) and very, very nice.

So did anyone catch Ryan on there?

He says that Wesley Snipes is very method. I think I've heard that before..

I loved the first Blade, though the 2nd one was a little too nasty for me..

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate"
Galaxia21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:27 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by UnsilentMajorty
I watched the Jessica Beil (Abigail) fight scene...

And I can see why if the rest of the movie is like that it is getting the review it is, so far.

That fight scene is a pure example of just because someone is a good screenwriter that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be a good director.

David Goyer may be a great writer, but writing and directing are two completely different things in ways to numerous to go into here.

For example, the angles in that fight scene are all wrong.

They are wrong in you can SEE the (safe) distance between the punches and kicks when they are thrown between the actors. This completely shatters the illusion of time and space that movies are supposed to convey in a seemless manner that make you believe, aka suspend your disbelief, that you are watching something that could possibly be real and actually take place.

This is the real reason why Daywalker says this scene sucks...

Because he's right. It DOES suck. It's not conveying the illusion of the force and impact of the punches and kicks being thrown like they would in real life.

And don't get me started on the music played in the background.

That song IS right out of a video game. It is the theme to Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell -- The reviewer wasn't exaggerating when he made that "video game" comment.

Oy vey!

P.S. - What's up with that "lightsaber" bow? Did Goyer go to the Lucas Ranch and grab an extra prop from "Revenge of the Sith"?
Well that sucks!!!

Why wouldn't a screenwriter know better?? I mean if the fights don't even look real then... wtf?? I mean this is a Blade movie.. half the fun is the action, duh!!

Old 12-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by RoswellCutie86
i don;t want to sound cheesy but do ryan and jessica kiss in the movie?
Nope.

There is absolutely NO romance whatsoever between ANY characters in this movie.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Fan

omg....i missed ryan on jimmy kimmel ....there is sexual content in the movie.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Nope.

I wouldn't quite say that. There was something somewhat disturbing in the past between two characters in the movies.
as I watch the walls descend
as I watch the walls descend like stars
SweetLisaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

I plan to see this sometime this month, maybe over Christmas with my friend because I know he'd like it...but I'm not expecting to like it much, especially based on what's been said here.

My favorite is the first one, and while I thought the second was decent, I didn't think it was nearly as good as the first. I love good action, but I don't know...IMO, a good plot and good characters would be nice too.

~Kat
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by eruvue
I wouldn't quite say that. There was something somewhat disturbing in the past between two characters in the movies.
True... But to me, anyway... It wasn't even emphasized that much considering it was almost a given that Hanibal and Danica were an item -- If you can even call it that considering she treated him like crap... Actually, less-than-crap and like her "blood sucking cabana boy"
Old 12-11-2004, 04:37 AM
Ultimate Fan

UnsilentMajorty and eruvue :pm me about that u said with two characters..
Old 12-11-2004, 08:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Nope.

Ah, that blows. I likes the romance in action movies.

But yeah, I still want to see the movie though I don't really have high hopes at all. Basically now I just want to see it for Ryan Reynolds.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

I saw Blade: Trinity yesterday and i have to say that it was better than i thought it would be. It`s just a kickass action movie and a nice progression from the previous two movies. I thought that Ryan Reynolds was a great addition. He really stole the show. Hannibal was hilarous. In fact i love that there was more humor in it to balance out the darkness in the movie. Jessica Biel was better than i thought she would be. She really pulled off the role very good. The only negative about it was the music. I wasn`t too crazy about it. I think that they should`ve went more to a hard rock/metal sound for it. Anyway i would have to give Blade: Trinity a rating of *** out of ****. It was a very good movie, but not quite as good as Blade 2.