Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2021, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

9/11 Films/Tributes #1: In Remembrance - World Trade Center | Pentagon | United Airlines Flight 93

Appreciation Thread for All Films documenting the Al-Qaeda terrorist attacks upon American landmarks/innocent lives on September 11th, 2001

Positive discussion of the real heroes, the actors who played them and their families is welcome.

See bottom of post for a list of all relevant films and documentaries open for discussion here.

(Please be respectful to the memory of that day, the legacy of the buildings and the relatives of those who were tragically killed in the attacks.
Any disrespectful remarks towards the victims or their families will not be tolerated.)

Potential Film Discussion ~

9/11 (2002, Naudet Brothers)
Flight 93 (2006)
United 93 (2006)
World Trade Center (2006)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
Remember Me (2010)
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (2011)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
The Report (2019)
Worth (2020)
Skam Italia icon
Gwen

Last edited by Crystal Clear; 04-09-2023 at 07:47 AM
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

This was a special feature on the United 93 DVD, showing a compilation of reactions to the film being made from many of the victims' families. A bittersweet insight into their lives post-9/11, five years later as it was by that point, and their memories of the day itself - plus quick reviews of their advance screening held by Paul Greengrass (before the rest of the world saw it).

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-14-2022, 01:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Question from Deadline to Tom Hanks: As well as Band of Brothers’ 20th anniversary approaching, there is, as we discussed before, the 20th anniversary of 9/11 is here now too. What does that latter occasion mean to you and what is the connection to you, if any, of the multi-award-winning miniseries that debuted on September 9, 2001 and the attacks that occurred two days later?

Quote:
We thought it quite possible that the broadcast of the series would be put on hold indefinitely, as it seemed WWIII had just broken out. Perhaps, the series would then be too simplistic, too jingoistic.

We halted for two weeks, then continued, providing a sobering tonic, I think.

America was again facing a long, unknowable struggle against an enemy that has been, unquestioningly, working for the dark side of humanity. The Nazis and the Japanese empire fought for dark reasons – of race, theology, of a domination of a status quo based on divisions by caste.

Where are we now, 20 years later? As Harry Truman said: “It is easier to remove tyrants and destroy concentration camps than it is to kill the ideas which gave them birth and strength."
Tom Hanks on 9/11, 'Band of Brothers' and "The Common Good"

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-16-2022, 02:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I would highly recommend this book ^ Your Father's Voice: Letters for Emmy about Life With Jeremy -- and Without Him after 9/11

Published in 2004, this book has a layout similar to diary entries. It's a beautiful and informative read of a love story spanning many years, cut tragically short by the September 11th terrorist attacks. Lyz Glick, the widow of Flight 93 victim Jeremy Glick, wrote this in a direct voice aimed towards her young daughter Emmy - through a series of past recollections of her life with Emmy's father Jeremy (beginning in high school when they first met) as well as expressing the difficulty of the 9/11 aftermath. It is the ultimate bid to keep his memory alive for the sake of their daughter who was just 3 months old when Jeremy was murdered. She gives great insight to Jeremy's strong character and how this determined his fight to overcome the evil men on that fateful morning. Lyz was very strong to share intimate/upsetting details of their last phone conversation, which took place on the plane. The way she tells their story together is captivating and flows very well, cleverly going from flashbacks to present day with each chapter. Also included are some family photos.

A 5 star reading experience. Could not put it down. Was very tearful in Lyz and Jeremy's goodbye chapter, as she recollects how they said "I love you" countless times in an effort to comfort each other and give each other strength in what turned out to be his final speaking moments with her.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-20-2022, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Flight 93 hero Jeremy Glick's beautiful and eloquently spoken daughter, Broadway star Emmy Glick (as referenced in the above post), did a TED talk about her late father and how her grief for him impacted her early development:

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-29-2022, 02:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Do I like the Robert Pattinson movie Remember Me? Not so much.

Do I think the below quote from it and its promotional poster are exceptionally good? Yes.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-05-2023, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Fan

Didn't Remember Me shown the WTC???
Old 04-09-2023, 07:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Robb66 (View Post)
Didn't Remember Me shown the WTC???
It did . It's been years since I watched the movie but it literally ends with his character Tyler dying in the towers.

In my opinion this was exploitative, given that the film was an in-your-face melodrama and nothing whatsoever to do with the Trade Center (other than the fact that his dad worked there, which I think is only confirmed right at the end) but I guess they knew that this would be the most talked-about aspect of the movie so they tagged it on for emotional manipulation.

It didn't help that the central love story was unbelievably cliche (he bets his friend that he can sleep with the girl as revenge for conflict with her police officer dad) and nothing else about the story is remotely memorable. But Robert Pattinson was highly popular at the time so the box office numbers were probably a success.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-21-2023, 12:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Whoever did this video... I mean they're 100% right that UNITED 93 is basically flawless filmmaking but to put REMEMBER ME over FLIGHT 93 in ranking is just ridiculous. And the way OP tries to justify the twist ending? Nope I'm not on board. It's manipulative to make up for a lazy soap opera plot, and I'm not changing my mind on that.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Steve Buscemi, what a hero - returning to duty after 17 years to help out on Ground Zero after the 9/11 attacks -
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 10-11-2023, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

A man leaped 30 feet into the reflection pool aka the footprint of the original WTC. This is disturbing on so many levels:
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-21-2023, 06:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Oh my lord, this is frightening. Also had to look really really hard to spot her. Just inside the hole towards the right. Just awful. Poor lady. -

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-21-2023, 06:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Oh wow, what? I got it wrong. She's at the bottom left of the hole. My apologies it was like looking for a needle in a haystack:

Still cannot believe this day actually happened.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-21-2023, 09:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

They were so beautiful
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-24-2023, 01:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Frightening and heartbreaking to see a day before candid of two women just enjoying their day sightseeing at the top of this building. Sort of like the real version of Home Alone 2 when Kevin is in the same place on a fun day out in New York as an excited young child.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top