Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Total Fan

SVU: "Birthright" (9/21) Episode Discussion

A WOMAN KIDNAPS A CHILD SHE BELIEVES TO BE HER OWN, ONLY TO DISCOVER A SHOCKING SECRET -- Six-year-old Patty Branson (guest star Abigail Breslin), is almost abducted in Central Park while her father reads the paper. Benson (Mariska Hargitay) and Stabler (Chris Meloni) investigate to find out that the men who attacked her are actually P.I.'s, and have been hired by Michele Osborne (guest star Lea Thompson) to kidnap Patty, claiming she is Patty's real mother. M.E. Warner (guest star Tamara Tunie) conducts a DNA test to prove the child's true biological mother. Meanwhile, Benson traces the source of the confusion about the child's origins back to a fertility doctor. Dann Florek, Richard Belzer, Ice-T, Diane Neal, and B.D. Wong also star. TV-14
Old 09-22-2004, 01:07 AM
Master Fan

SVU is back!!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:58 AM
Total Fan

How many people think the parents of Michele's other biological children should be warned to keep an eye out for her? Just me?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Banned

Tonights episode was good. At first I had a hard time deciding who should keep that little girl. Then of course the biological mother had to go and take her. Those doctors of doctor as the case may be need to be held and brought to justice by the fullest extent of the law. The moral injustice done was just outrageous. Of course this is not the worst case seen on SVU. It was horrible to think that doctors have this incredible power that is the some times misused is so awful. A nice solid episode to start off the new season.

Also on another note. Did anyone else think that when Casey showed up to talk to Elliot. That there was a possible romantic relationship? I don't know. The whole scene just left me with that kind of feeling.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Master Fan

After watching that episode, I'm sure a lot of people who went through that feterlization probably took a good look at there children and wondered if the doctor could have done a mixup.

Age-a-licious's Bootylicious Nsync Fanfiction Page
Old 09-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Dedicated Fan

It was a great episode.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:42 PM
MST Manager

It was good, I liked it.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Total Fan

I want to say something more profound about the episode, and may do that later, but for now all I have is this report about the episode's preliminary Nielson ratings:
Quote:
Elsewhere, NBC did well at 10 with "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (5.2/13 in adults 18-49, 13.9 million viewers overall), which easily beat competing ABC drama "NYPD Blue" (3.6/10 in adults 18-49, 9.7 million viewers overall). "SVU" matched its year-ago premiere score while "Blue" was down slightly.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
At first I had a hard time deciding who should keep that little girl. Then of course the biological mother had to go and take her.
I liked the episode. I felt bad for the woman whose ova (was it her ova?) had been implanted, but I don't think that Patty should be uprooted from her home and the people she would consider real parents just because some doctors effed up.

Quote:
Did anyone else think that when Casey showed up to talk to Elliot. That there was a possible romantic relationship? I don't know. The whole scene just left me with that kind of feeling.
Yeah... they have a wierd kinda chemistry going on in their scenes. I don't think it's romantic, but it's definitely something, I've noticed it in other episodes.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Subject
Also on another note. Did anyone else think that when Casey showed up to talk to Elliot. That there was a possible romantic relationship? I don't know. The whole scene just left me with that kind of feeling.

I thought the same thing. There was just these weird vibe. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it.

I liked this ep. I agree with Subject in that I had a hard time figuring out who I "sided" with.

I like how on the L&Os there always two sides to every story and not everything happens the way it should.

Come visit the WWE/Wrestling Board

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free
Old 09-26-2004, 04:10 AM
Total Fan

Personally, I think Michele would have been more sympathetic had she not been so obsessive and unwilling to make any sort of compromise. Yes, she’d been through alot. First with losing her husband and daughter Anna, then stumbling upon Patty, who was biologically, but not legally, her daughter. I sympathize with her victimization at the hands of the fertility doctor and her desire to be a mother to her biological child, but not, IMO, her selfish pursuit of Patty. As a mother, her sole motivation should be the best interest of the child. In this case, Patty was too young to understand the situation and trying to uproot her was wrong. Once they understood the circumstances, Patty’s birth parents seemed open to allowing Michele into their lives. She could have been “Aunt Michele” until Patty was old enough to comprehend the reality of her birth. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough for Michele. Now she’s out of the picture entirely (if she doesn’t want to go to jail again) and Patty is traumatized. Everybody loses.

As for the Stabler/Novak conversation, I also agree that it had a weird vibe to it. I hope it was an accident and TPTB aren’t going to conjure a romance for them.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Master Fan

I completely agree, dukesmom. Michele was so obessesed with "wanting" Patty that she didn't think about the effects that it would have on her. As soon as Novak started questioning Patty, I knew what she was doing. I know it was possibly the only way to win the case, but I still felt bad for the girl. Like she hadn't been frightened enough.

Quote:
As for the Stabler/Novak conversation, I also agree that it had a weird vibe to it. I hope it was an accident and TPTB aren’t going to conjure a romance for them.
Oh jeez, me too. I definitely hope TPTB aren't going to have anything between them. I don't think they would - Stabler has always been the family man - I don't think they would mess with that, especially with her. I could maybe see something happening between Elliot and Olivia, but not Novak.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Master Fan

This was a scary episode cuz it could happen to any woman! I can't imagine finding out someday that my eggs were being implanted in other women and that I had biological children all over! Good episode, I love SVU.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:38 AM
Addicted Fan

For me, this was one of the creepiest episodes, although when I tried to tell someone about it, it didn't sound all that creepy, at least not by SVU standards. I guess it was all in the presentation.

I didn't find Michelle to be a sympathetic character at all. The problem wasn't really caused by the doctor using her embryos (although obviously that was completely unethical and mercenary)... the problem was caused by her refusal to accept that her kid was dead. She was out there deliberately looking for children who could be her daughter.

Casey & Eliot: I think their weird vibe is actually dislike. One of the first episodes I saw was the one where she came on as a regular, and I could see he didn't have any respect for her.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Crossbow
Casey & Eliot: I think their weird vibe is actually dislike. One of the first episodes I saw was the one where she came on as a regular, and I could see he didn't have any respect for her.
Yeah, I think you're right, I was thinking the same thing. They don't like each other - they especially didn't at the beginning, and even though they're civil now, they don't like each other. So there would be a certain wierdness when they talked with each other.