Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Master Fan

Are Four L&O Show Too Many?

After reading some of the articles people had posted in the News thread, the thread title's question came to me.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion. What do y'all think? We have the Original L&O, Special Victims Unit, Criminal Intent and coming next year we'll have Trial By Jury. Are four show in the franchise too much? Would you like to see more after TBJ?

Come visit the WWE/Wrestling Board

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free
Old 06-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Total Fan

If they can find more unique views or formats, I say bring on more L&Os. Unlike the CSI franchise (btw Ė I love the original and can usually tolerate Miami), L&O seems to be escaping the cookie-cutter syndrome by making each show overall different rather than just moving its location. The original is in the homicide unit and (usually) half the show is all about the cops and the other half all about the D.A.s. SVU is about sex crimes and although the D.A.'s office is important, it doesnít have an equal share of airtime or number of regular characters. Since I donít watch CI, I canít give an informed summary of its format. As for the new show, TBJ, all I know is that itís going to solely take place in the courtroom, obviously not the same as the others.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:47 AM
Loyal Fan

I agree, if they can make more Law & Order's that are all different and unique in their own way I see no reason why they shouldn't keep making them. The current three shows are constantly in the top 20 in ratings so obviously they're doing something right. I don't watch either of the CSI's, but from what I understand it's the same show in different locations, where like dukesmom mentioned all the Law & Order's are different and unique in their own way.

Quote:
The original is in the homicide unit and (usually) half the show is all about the cops and the other half all about the D.A.s. SVU is about sex crimes and although the D.A.'s office is important, it doesnít have an equal share of airtime or number of regular characters. Since I donít watch CI, I canít give an informed summary of its format.
CI is unique because it shows the crime through the criminals point of view. They rarely go to court and it's mainly focusing on the lead Det. (Bobby Goren) who is suppose to be like a Sherlock Holmes based character and how he and his partner piece together clues and solve the crime.

So if most of the TBJ stories take place in the courtroom for the most part it's clearly something new and at least worth trying. If it doesn't work they still have 3 other series that are well established to fall back on.

Bethy
[ LJ // MySpace // Vox ]

Lord I never complain, I never ask why
Please don't let my dreams run dry
Underneath, underneath this amarillo sky

Old 06-21-2004, 01:25 PM
MST Manager

Good question, Carrie.

To some, it can appear to be overkill, for lack of better word, especially for non-fans of the show. But, as a die-hard fan of the TV series, ever since it premiered, I don't think four L&O shows are too many. Personally, I feel that the foundation of each show is pretty much the same, but that's where the similiarities really stop. Each show is individual and unique, in its own right.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's hard to say. On the one hand, I think enough is enough. But then again, like everyone is saying each show has something different. I love the original the most, and I enjoy CI. I can't really watch SVU, it hits a little too close to home. I've known a few SV victims.

So I guess it depends on if you're a fan or not. But I think it might get confusing for newer fans, and maybe keeps them from watching the shows.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:05 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by wanderer78
I love the original the most
Me too. It's always been my favorite.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Master Fan

THanks everyone for your opinions.

I've definitely heard non- fans be amazed at how many shows there are. I do agree with everyone, that at least all the shows are about different aspects.

Sometimes I wish they could somehow all be on the same nights because I don't have time to record/watch of the them on the current nights they are on.

Then we shall be free
Old 07-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Master Fan

I enjoy all 2 L&O's that are on air now. It's shows the different sides in the justice system. Its different points of view of how to deal with certain types of cases. All cases are original with each show.

I'm really looking forward to watching TBJ this year, it will give us another side in the whole system of how it all works.

I think if later they come up with another unique L&O then heck I know I'll be on board.

darylŠÉ¶beth
Old 07-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Master Fan

Honestly I've never really gotten that into CI. I watch it most week a new ep is on, but if I miss it, I'm not crushed or anything. But like I said I do like that all the shows show crimes from all aspects and that everything isn't always so black and white.

Then we shall be free
Old 07-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Master Fan

Everyone likes each different show for different reasons, so I think that as long as the fans keep watching, they'll stick around. Just cuz you watch one of them doesnt mean you have to watch all of them. I know I don't.

P.S. I heard a rumor that Carey Lowell will be joining the new L&O, can anyone confirm this??
Old 07-20-2004, 10:10 AM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by CrabbyCancer69
P.S. I heard a rumor that Carey Lowell will be joining the new L&O, can anyone confirm this??
Hmm. Haven't heard that.

She surely wasn't my favorite when she was on the original L&O.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Total Fan

from tvguide.com back in May:
Quote:
ORDER RESTORED: It's not Angie Harmon, but this'll do quite nicely: Former Law & Order star Carey Lowell is in talks to headline the franchise's upcoming third spinoff, Law & Order: Trial By Jury, TV Guide Online has learned. "There's been some early discussions and she's absolutely interested," confirms Lowell's manager. It's believed the actress ó who in real life is married to Richard Gere ó would reprise her role as onetime ADA Jamie Ross, a character she played from 1996 to 1998. In a recent interview with TV Guide Online, exec producer Dick Wolf hinted that some "familiar faces" from L&O's past might be joining Jerry Orbach when Jury debuts on NBC in early '05.
She wasn't my favorite either.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Master Fan

Ohhh thank you!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:34 AM
Loyal Fan

I was going to say 4 was too many cause Im not even into CI but now that I read Carey Lowell may reprise her character ADA Jaime Ross I have to say its not too many. She was my favorite ADA.

Vote For Gavin Degraw pretty please
Old 08-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Total Fan

im a new L&O fan but i prefer SVU and criminal intent than the original. i became a fan while down in SC this summer. a couple of the friends i made down there were heavy into the show so i gave it a shot.

the saying "too much of a good thing" only holds true when it comes down to tv