Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-16-2022, 04:01 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Me too. I think the most recent X-Men film I've seen is ''Logan''.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Same
Old 08-16-2022, 05:15 PM

Wow. Reviews I recall were not good mostly for "Dark Phoenix".
Old 08-16-2022, 06:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Pretty sure it would be better than what the OG trilogy did considering the name which makes me assume its just gonna be based on "Phoenix" only instead of the X3 with doing the combo of Cure/Phoenix

Last edited by crash landing; 08-16-2022 at 07:15 PM
Old 08-16-2022, 08:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think the negative reviews for Dark Phoenix were unfair. It wasn't nearly as bad as they said. I do think that it could've been done better. The alien race that they used were a Skrull-like race of shape-shifters that didn't seem to have much in the way of exposition or development. The Shi'ar is the alien race that was featured in the X-Men comics, so that's what they probably should've used. The Hellfire Club was also prominent in the Dark Phoenix saga, but I'd understand if that were too much for one film to hold.

I still think it could've been done better, but it didn't deserve all the negative reviews it got. Sophie Turner was a much better Jean Grey than Famke Janssen in my opinion. She was the right age for the role, and looked more convincing as a redhead. Never cast dark-haired women as redheads or blondes. It's very difficult to pull off, either with hair dye or wigs. It's easier for blonde and redhead women to go dark-haired than it is to go the other way around.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Can't wait to see it due to my non-comic knowledge and never listen to critics/reviews or what others say I go into movies with no previous knowledge of what people think

I agree but I thought that Famke looked alright personally
Old 08-17-2022, 01:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I liked Dark Phoenix. Not their best movie but still.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Famke looks good, but she doesn't look like Jean Grey. She was too old for the role when she was cast, and her bone structure is just not Jean. Sophie was closer to Jean in the comics. And Famke has dark hair. Dying dark hair any lighter color is a real pain. It's easier for a blonde like Sophie to go redhead than a brunette like Famke.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Can barely recognize Famke in Goldeneye
Old 09-27-2022, 03:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yep, that's what she normally looks like. She's very Catwoman there. But again, she looks nothing like Jean, even when she was younger.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:07 PM

Well, that's how it is these days in cinema I think. Actors do not always tend to look like the characters that they portray on screen from the source materials. Here's 2 differences between X-Men comics & that ''Dark Phoenix'' film:

''The most obvious cosmetic change between the comics and the movie is that there are two entirely different rosters of mutant heroes. The team in Dark Phoenix is made up of Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, Beast, Mystique and Professor X. The X-Men team at the start of the Phoenix Saga consists of Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine, Banshee and Professor X. By the time of the Dark Phoenix Saga, Banshee had left the team and the X-Men are assisted by Kitty Pryde, Dazzler, Angel and Beast over the course of the ten-issue storyline.''

There Is A Different Reason Why The X-Men Go Into Space

''In Dark Phoenix, the X-Men are sent into space at the request of the President of the United States, in order to rescue a team of astronauts whose shuttle has lost radio contact with NASA. The original Phoenix Saga saw the heroes heading into space for a much more personal cause. With the assistance of their ally, astronaut Dr. Peter Corbeau, the X-Men infiltrated a Space Shuttle launch in order to storm the space-station hideout of Dr. Stephen Lang. An anti-mutant bigot, Dr. Lang was attempting to secretly relaunch the American government's Sentinel program, which used specialized robots to hunt and kill mutants.''

''There are two main reasons why this aspect of the story was changed for the movie. The first is that the Sentinels were already used as the chief menace of X-Men: Days of Future Past and bringing them back would distract from the story of Dark Phoenix. The second is that the President calling the X-Men into action effectively establishes them as publicly-known heroes, who are no longer fighting to defend a world that hates and fears them - a marked contrast from earlier movies in the franchise.

https://screenrant.com/xmen-dark-pho...comic-changes/
Old 09-27-2022, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That's all true, Matt, but I could also say the same thing about the differences between how the Dark Phoenix storyline was handled in X-Men: The Last Stand vs. Dark Phoenix.

In The Last Stand, Cyclops was killed off by Jean in the first 20 minutes and Wolverine was the main character yet again. In Dark Phoenix, Wolverine wasn't even included in the story and Cyclops and Jean's relationship storyline was respected a lot more. Jean sacrifices herself to prevent herself from harming Scott, which is what happened in the comics as well. Killing Scott the way she did in The Last Stand is something Jean would never have done. I guess I don't have to tell you about the differences between Mystique in The Last Stand vs. Dark Phoenix.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:25 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Famke looks good, but she doesn't look like Jean Grey. She was too old for the role when she was cast, and her bone structure is just not Jean. Sophie was closer to Jean in the comics. And Famke has dark hair. Dying dark hair any lighter color is a real pain. It's easier for a blonde like Sophie to go redhead than a brunette like Famke.
true and true

i wish we got more of Sophie as Jean
Old 09-28-2022, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

James was doing Superman Returns at that time when it was Brendan from CW-DC arrowverse's movie back in 2003 believe or whenever - so it feel like they had to find away to right him off

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Yep, that's what she normally looks like. She's very Catwoman there. But again, she looks nothing like Jean, even when she was younger.
I sadly agree that turning a brunette into a red-haired didn't work even if felt she was good

She's a great villain seen her as a different villain for Renner's Hansel & Gretal the evil witch and all plus Peter Stormare as much as I love him as an actor his character in it was disgusting
Old 09-28-2022, 10:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
true and true

i wish we got more of Sophie as Jean
Yeah, I've heard what women have said about that.

So do I. I wish Scott and Jean had been around for Days of Future Past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash landing (View Post)
James was doing Superman Returns at that time when it was Brendan from CW-DC arrowverse's movie back in 2003 believe or whenever - so it feel like they had to find away to right him off

I sadly agree that turning a brunette into a red-haired didn't work even if felt she was good

She's a great villain seen her as a different villain for Renner's Hansel & Gretal the evil witch and all plus Peter Stormare as much as I love him as an actor his character in it was disgusting
Well, I do know that James Marsden was busy doing Superman Returns, but the truth is, Sarah, the damage was already done to Scott in X-2: X-Men United. Did you see what that movie did to him? He was barely in the movie, and it made him seem irrelevant.

Yep, Sophie to me looks much closer to Jean than Famke.

Oh, I never saw that movie, but she did look good in the promos.

Disgusting? What did his character do?