Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-05-2022, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Other Marvel Characters Thread #24

Previoius thread: Other Marvel Characters Thread #23
Old 08-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
It's like Chekhov's Gun. If you show the audience a gun on a wall in the first act, it must be fired by the final act or it shouldn't be there.

Captain America: The First Avenger teased Jim Hammond, the original Human Torch, during the Stark Expo where one of the exhibits was a man in a red suit inside of a glass tube, called "The Artificial Man," created by Professor Phineas Horton. However, they never did anything with that or went anywhere with that. It was a tease, nothing more. Movies should never do that, kind of like what Spider-Man 3 did with Gwen Stacy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
but that isn't how it works in real life. So for any show to be more lifelike, they should drop this idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Exactly.

Well, if movies were like real life, they'd be documentaries, not movies.

Movies and stories need plot structure and narrative and character arcs. You have to set up the payoffs and pay off the setups. This goes all the way back to Aristotle's Poetics. If you're just dropping random references to certain characters for no reason other than to wink at the audience, then you're not telling a story. Comic book fans will feel dissatisfied if these Easter eggs are not followed up on, and mainstream audiences won't get the references at all and think you're just wasting their time.

Quote:
Why? Ms. Marvel and Cyclops are in two totally different storylines.

Thanks, dragonfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
They became close friends when Cyclops was on the Champions team.

No problem.

Quote:
Deadline
‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’s Shea Couleé Joins Marvel Studios’ ‘Ironheart’ Series
'RuPaul's Drag Race' winner Shea Couleé has landed a secret role in its upcoming series 'Ironheart.'

https://deadline.com/2022/08/rupauls...rt-1235084628/
Hi, dragonfire! But wasn't that the alternate reality teenage Cyclops? Isn't that Cyclops gone now that the real Cyclops is back from resurrection, along with Jean Grey?

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Well, if movies were like real life, they'd be documentaries, not movies.

Movies and stories need plot structure and narrative and character arcs. You have to set up the payoffs and pay off the setups. This goes all the way back to Aristotle's Poetics. If you're just dropping random references to certain characters for no reason other than to wink at the audience, then you're not telling a story. Comic book fans will feel dissatisfied if these Easter eggs are not followed up on, and mainstream audiences won't get the references at all and think you're just wasting their time.
No, a lot can be said for creating the feeling of a living world with depth by adding in things that are NOT part of the plot.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Plus I like random references. Depending on who they refer to, they excite me. A mention is better than nothing, it's like homage to a character. It's like calling up a nice memory.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:

Hi, dragonfire! But wasn't that the alternate reality teenage Cyclops? Isn't that Cyclops gone now that the real Cyclops is back from resurrection, along with Jean Grey?

Thanks for the info.
I could be wrong but I think Cyclops has the memories of that teen Cyclops, or something like that.

No problem.

Quote:
Collider
'She-Hulk' Teases Daredevil's Return & Yellow Suit in New Images
Following a surprise cameo as Matt Murdock in last year's Spider-Man: No Way Home, Charlie Cox will be reprising his role as Daredevil in...
https://collider.com/she-hulk-darede...l-disney-plus/
Old 08-06-2022, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

How could he have teen Cyclops' memories? He's been resurrected, right? Never mind. Marvel has lost their marbles.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
How could he have teen Cyclops' memories? He's been resurrected, right? Never mind. Marvel has lost their marbles.
It's complicated.

Quote:
The Direct
Watch: Dakota Johnson Jumps Into Action on Spider-Man's Madame Web Set
Warner Bros. may be in the business of scrubbing its upcoming superhero slate, but Sony has taken the opposite approach.
https://thedirect.com/article/spider...-johnson-watch
Old 08-08-2022, 06:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'll be it is.

Thanks, dragonfire.

Dakota Johnson would make a better Spider-Woman than Madame Web. And Emma Roberts would make a good Black Cat, or Spider-Gwen.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'll be it is.

Thanks, dragonfire.

Dakota Johnson would make a better Spider-Woman than Madame Web. And Emma Roberts would make a good Black Cat, or Spider-Gwen.
Yup.

No problem.

Well, if she's Julia Carpenter then she's the second Spider-Woman. I think Roberts could be playing the villain.

Plus since it seems the movie is set in the 2000s, and the newspapers saying brave saves girl from fire people are wondering if the movie is set in the Raimiverse since brave saves girl from fire could be a reference to Spider-Man 2.

Quote:
The Direct
First Look at Anthony Ramos' Marvel Villain Revealed (Photos)
A new set photo confirmed that Anthony Ramos is playing The Hood in the Ironheart Disney+ series.
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel...y-ramos-photos
Old 08-10-2022, 10:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
Yup.

No problem.

Well, if she's Julia Carpenter then she's the second Spider-Woman. I think Roberts could be playing the villain.

Plus since it seems the movie is set in the 2000s, and the newspapers saying brave saves girl from fire people are wondering if the movie is set in the Raimiverse since brave saves girl from fire could be a reference to Spider-Man 2.

https://thedirect.com/article/marvel...y-ramos-photos

Thanks for all that, dragonfire!

Ugh, I can't believe that Julia Carpenter is the new Madame Web. It's sad that she's ended up like that, but I guess Marvel decided that they had one Spider-Woman too many and that Jessica Drew was the Spider-Woman they wanted to keep.

I remember when Julia was first introduced as the second Spider-Woman in 1984 in Marvel's Secret Wars storyline. In the early 80s, Marvel had retired or just stopped using a lot of the characters they came out with in the 1970s, like Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel/Carol Danvers, Adam Warlock, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. She-Hulk remained in the Avengers, but she lost her solo title from the 1970s, and then she was with the Fantastic Four for a time. I don't remember what happened to Jessica Drew in the 1980s, but they just weren't using her for a while, so I guess Marvel thought they'd try a new Spider-Woman who was more like Peter. Her black and white outfit is what influenced Peter's symbiote costume to copy the same design, the only difference being that Julia had white gloves that went above the elbow and white boots that went above the knee.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
She-Hulk remained in the Avengers, but she lost her solo title from the 1970s,
It wasn't from the 1970s. It was from the early '80s.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Bleeding Cool
Marvel Gives Arcade His Own Comic With Murderworld Avengers Series
Jim Zub, Ray Fawkes, and Jethro Morales are creating a new comic book series based around the interactions between supervillain Arcade and...
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...engers-series/
Old 08-11-2022, 09:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Murderworld? Sounds like a Michael Crichton story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
It wasn't from the 1970s. It was from the early '80s.
The first issue's release was November 1979. I do remember first hearing about her comic in the 1970s when I was still in elementary school.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Murderworld? Sounds like a Michael Crichton story.
Murderworld is an old X-Men thing dating back to the '70s.

Quote:
The first issue's release was November 1979.
Which means the comic came out mostly in the early '80s as it went on for two years. Dumbass.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:27 PM
Elite Fan

Interesting. It's rumored
Spoiler:

Quote:
The Direct
Sydney Sweeney's Marvel Superhero Finally Revealed In Madame Web Movie
A new rumor revealed the characters involved in Sony and Marvel's Madame Web movie.
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel...dame-web-movie

Quote:
The Direct
Spider-Man: Sony Reportedly Including Baby Peter Parker In New Spin-off Movie
Sony may be introducing a baby Peter Parker to its Spider-Man spin-off universe in an upcoming movie.
https://thedirect.com/article/spider...ker-baby-movie