Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2022, 01:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'll chime in on meeting celebs/crushes. I actually haven't met a celeb I have an actual crush on. But also, I'm not really and never have been a celebrity worshipper. Maybe its cause I'm so selective on who I admire when I don't know them in real life. But I do get good or bad vibes.

All I liked about Will Smith went down hill when the Oscars happened. Bleh, I dont have any respect for him now!

I met Tina Fey who I actually loved and she was the real deal with being nice even though she was on a break on an actual filming location. She was the one who noticed me standing around and asked if I'd like a pic with her!

And then my current crush with Stephanie Beatriz, all I have seen of her on social media or on interviews, videos, she insists on being a kind person and is just nice, liking people's comments they leave for her or replying to them (like she has for me)

Then there are celebs l see from a distance that I get bad vibes from that seem very unfriendly/cold to fans, one being Lea Michele.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I'm not necessarily a 'celebrity worshipper.' I have my favourite actors and music artists and I admire their work, their personality and all around good nature. I don't think any of these people consider themselves celebrities. Especially Tom. There are many, many celebrities that I cannot stand, and there are plenty of actors, musics artists and especially reality stars that I find are way too into themselves. So yeah, I'm pretty selective too. Like you say, it's the vibe you get from someone.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think there's a good, healthy gap between having celebrity crushes and being a celebrity worshipper. So I think the three of us are safe.

I'm thrilled to hear that Tina Fey's a decent person in real life as well, because she appeals to me as someone who appears to be both normal and really smart. So I do admire her a lot. And, yeah, after what happened with Will Smith, I'm glad I get to keep some positive opinions of some celebrities.

has a good atmosphere. I think that's in large part because the whole moderator structure really has respect as the one golden rule, you know? And I'm not saying that because I'm a moderator here. It was like that before I became a moderator. And that's what I've always liked about .

You're right, too. A celeb crush is not just about the looks. I love thet John Cho, at least in the interviews I've seen him give, can be both very thoughtful and incredibly silly.

So have "only" met Tom from Smallville or have you met others from the cast?
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Oh that's so true! Yep, definitely a distinction from crushing on a celebrity and being a fan to worshipping the ground they walk on for sure.

that's why I wanted to become a mod here, I've modded other forums in the past but is such a special place and it's super well run and structured. Everyone comes here to have fun and I absolutely love that.

That's what I love about Tom too, he can be just the same in his interviews. He has a sarcastic sense of humour and I love that about him.

I've met pretty much half of the Smallville cast so far. At my first comic con meeting Tom in 2018, I also met John Schneider (Jonathan Kent). Then the following year at Wales Comic Con, I met Tom again, along with Michael Rosenbaum (Lex), Erica Durance (Lois) and Laura Vandervoort (Kara/Supergirl). So save one or two other cast members...one who's um....otherwise detained Annette O Toole who played Martha Kent doesn't really do comic cons, Justin Hartley (Oliver Queen) has been too busy with This Is Us, that's pretty much the entire main cast lol except for Kristin Kreuk (who played Lana Lang), John Glover (Lionel Luthor) and Sam Jones III who played Pete. I would love to meet Kristin and John one day, but I'm not quite so bothered about Sam 'cause I haven't really seen much of him in interviews and stuff so other than his role as Pete (he was great in the role) but I've never watched him in anything else. As it happens though, he's joining Tom, Michael, Erica and Laura at Liverpool comic con in the UK later this month. But I just can't go this time. I have to save my money John Glover was meant to attend Wales Comic Con in 2019 but had to cancel, so I would have gotten to meet him too.

And then let's not forget all the other actors I met at the other comic con I attended in 2019. All great experiences!
Old 05-08-2022, 10:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

I notice one name that's missing among the cast members you've met and that's the lady who finds herself, I believe, in prison at this time. No worries. I'm just a bit curious as to how she is in real life because, obviously, what has become public about her isn't very nice, but she must be quite charming to have pulled it off.

Anyway, I'm just happy there are celebrities who understand the job when it comes to meeting fans. I don't expect any human being to be perfectly, but I think one thing that makes a good actor is the ability to listen. And also the ability to get along with people. Like, a stronger ability than most to get through social encounters? So, you know, a Con should be no hardship for them. Long and tedious, probably, but also fun and rewarding.

I remember when I was quite young, I went to a show... I honestly forget what the show was. It wasn"t a concert... I think it was a sort of "stay in school" play or something... Anyway, my big memory of the event is super vague, but basically I asked one of the actresses for an autograph and she asked me who I was and I said "oh, no one special" and go this monster lecture in return about being special. It's funny in retrospect because she's still famous around here and she usually gets on my nerves a bit. But I think it's because she comes on strong. She obviously has good intentions.

Anyway, I saw her on a quiz show last week and she was wearing this blouse through which you could see her black bra very clearly. And she's not a young woman anymore, right? So it was a weird long. She explained that the outfit she had brought to wear had been stained and so another person kindly lent her that blouse. She then spent the rest of the quiz having the world's best attitude about everyone else making jokes at her expense.

It really made me like her more than I've been used to over the past decades.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Yeah, I try not to mention the actress who played Chloe on Smallville's name too much these days. When the news first came out about what she had done, (this was around 2017) I was so shocked, like most fans of the show were. Some had inklings about what was going on with her during the final season as she was noticeably looking skinnier (plus she was no longer a series regular in S10, only returning for a few episodes). But I would never have guessed it was something as bizarre and serious as it was. One of my previous Tom board co-mods met her at a con in 2015, (funnily enough that was Wales Comic Con) and said she was nice and friendly. Every interview I watched her in and all the blogs she used to write on her website, she came across as super sweet, intuitive, intelligent and just all around a lovely lady. So....yeah, you can never really tell these days what's really going on with someone, even when they come across as charming and sweet.

Whilst definitely not innocent, I do believe she was coerced and brainwashed by a very dangerous man who was the one behind that whole cult. It's such a shame. It was hard at first, to be able to re-watch the show and separate actor from character, especially as she was such a huge part of the show, it did feel at times like she had tainted the show's legacy. She was in the most episodes next to Tom. But over time, I think most fans of Smallville have been able to separate her from her character when re-watching. I'm actually on a re-watch right now, on S2.

Oh absolutely. I think it's just nice to be able to spread word of good experiences when meeting celebrities, as they are out there. And totally, a good actor is able to listen and get along with people, and indeed, have good social skills. And, filming scenes can be long and tedious, up to 16 hour days so places like conventions are a cinch in a way.

What a cool memory, this actress obviously seemed like she had good intentions even if she came on too strong. I like how people are able to take jokes about them, obviously there's a limit, but she sounds like she has a good sense of humour, to be able to have a positive attitude when she is being made fun of. It's nice that something like that shows you there's more to her than meets the eye.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

I've seen a fair amount of documentaries about what happened with that cult... doesn't really make me any more sure of what really happened, to be honest. I'm just a fan of true crime. I can believe she was brainwashed. I kinda think they all were. They all had to be, to do some of the stuff they did.

But, yeah, even if it's a pyramid scheme that relies on human exploitation to maintain itself... you're still an adult and responsible for your actions. I think, though, that the judge did see the brainwashing aspect of it all. And the fact that she recognized her responsibility... I mean, the ringleader got a sentence that's, like, 50 times longer than the one she had. So that sorta tells you they didn't think she was that pivotal.

That actress on the show with the bra you could see through her borrowed clothes... it's a show we have here that's a bit of an excuse to laugh at the celebrity guests. I should have mentioned that first. You don't go on there without expecting the jokes. Still, you can see where some who do go on struggle a little. She was a champion-level good sport.

I'm watching a documentary about Spring Awakening at the moment and that's another instance where attitude plays a lot in my ability to appreciate a celebrity. The female lead's gotten herself quite the reputation since those days. Jonathan Groff, on the other hand? Total cinnamon roll.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Other than reading a couple of articles about it in the newspaper, I haven't read or watched too much about it. I remember reading the statement she made of somewhat of an apology and how she has recognised and took some responsibility. Yeah, I'm glad he got a far longer sentence, as in a way, she was his victim as well.

Ah, ok. Makes sense. So any celeb going on that show should know what they're going in for.

I only really know Jonathan Groff as the voice of Kristoff in Frozen, but he seems pretty popular.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's been so long since I've watched any movies or TV show that isn't a true crime documentary or local cultural or quiz shows that I can't think of a single actor who actress whose work I'm familiar with.

Well, okay, John Cho. Colin Firth. Julie Walters. Emma Thompson... but even then (and there are more I might add to the list), it's a very incomplete familiarity. I am very careful about what I watch. I tend to be anxious and, for whatever reason, fictional dramatic tension makes it worse. It's completely ridiculous. I can deal with real-life tragedy more or less well, but if my imagination is engaged... no bueno.

So, anyway, I stay away from things I think will make me have nightmares. Basically. Obviously, that means I miss out on a lot. But

All of that to say that, aside from, like, Glee, which I watched for a while years and years ago, I haven't seen Jonathan Groff in anything. I have seen a few interviews of him, though. So I like him.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

That's really interesting. I suppose I'm practically the opposite. I like to watch way more fictional and fantasy shows that have drama but also a bit of comedy as well because I like that they take me away from the real world for a bit. The real world is a mess and it can get me down sometimes, so engaging my imagination helps keep me sane. Comedy shows are also a must for me, as I think the world needs more laughter. And then there's the classic Disney, the magic that takes me back to my childhood and lets me forget all the troubles and worries in the world.

That's not to say I don't enjoy the odd real life documentary, well, I love watching most nature documentaries, and I will engage with the news as it is important to be aware of what's going on in the world. I also enjoy some non fantasy fictional drama, crime dramas like NCIS for example. There's only a very small handful of reality/quiz shows that I will watch and I can't stand all of the reality shows like most talent shows, and basically anything considered 'Trash TV'.

I mean, yeah, I guess that might mean you miss out on a lot, but the way I see it, you don't miss out on anything you don't have an interest for.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, I don't watch reality TV shows. None of those Housewives, Kardashians, Big Brother, Americal Idol, etc. for me. Or none of the Quebec counterparts either. The only thinh approaching "reality TV" that I watch are cooking shows and cooking competitions, but like Guy's Grocery Games and Beat Bobby Flay. Nothing too stressful, like Top Cher or Iron Chef or where chefs go to see struggling chefs to tell them how horrible they are.

I did love The Good Place. I think that might be the last comedy show I watched. It's not that I won't watch comedy shows, it's that I usually get tired of them after a few years... Not sure why that is. And I also watch all three FBI shows, but I haven't seen the last few episodes of them.

Mostly, I watch PBS historical documentaries and Investigation Discovery shows about crimes that were solved. Oh, and vet shows on Animal Planet or Cottage Life. And HGTV shows about home renovations and decorating. And I watch Quebec shows about music, stand-up comedians, literature, etc. and the Quebec equivalent of UK panel shows where it's like a game show, but the premise isn't really important. It's about making jokes and laughing at each other.

But, yeah, in terms of material for crushes, it does leave me out of the loop a little.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Yep, none of that trash. I like to watch property programs like "Escape to the Country" and "A Place in the Sun". I'll watch the odd Strictly Come Dancing and that's about it. I used to love shows like the X Factor years ago, like back when it first started but I think they've become stale and well past their sell by date. There are way too many cooking shows these days but I might still watch the odd one or two. And then there's shows like Supervet. But I can't always handle watching those animal shows 'cause I end up bawling.

My mum liked The Good Place. She also loved The Good Wife which came off from that. I don't love all comedy shows, I tend to go for more classic comedy than modern comedy. A lot of comedy these days leaves nothing to be desired. I love Friends, Frasier and The Big Bang Theory, but I mostly love our classic British comedy, those I never get tired of watching and re-watching. Shows like; Dad's Army, Keeping Up Appearances and Fawlty Towers.

Haha, I suppose it does
Old 05-12-2022, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sounds like you and I both love the channel called Cottage Life here that has Supervet, Excape to the Country, Escape to the Continent, etc. I love vet shows because you usually end up seeing the animal feeling better. It absolutely breaks my heart when the animal doesn't make it, but that is fortunately rare. The only think I can't handle on a vet show, for some reason, is any surgery that breaks bones. I don't mind blood and guts, but anything to do with bones...

If we're gonna go to British comedy, I'm all about the panel shows. I think I was too French as a child to understand the humour and it just hasn't caught on with me? Even in French, absurd humour a la Monty Python often goes ten feet above my head (meaning I don't get it). But the way comedians bounce off each other on panel shows and have to be quick and witty... I usually end up my whole face and my sides hurting from laughing so much.

I loved Friends growing up. I'm not sure how well it's aged, though. And I watched Big Bang Theory... till I stopped. That's sort of the story of my life when it comes to comedies. I fall in love and then it peters off...

I did mean The Good Place, the sit-com with Kristen Bell and Ted Danson about the afterlife that lasted four years and so I never stopped watching. I don't think it's related to The Good Wife, but I'm completely uncertain about that, so I'm completely ready to admit I'm wrong here. I just didn't think the shows were related.

Though, again, if we're gonna talk about crushes, pretty much all the men on Good Place were incredibly charming.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Here we mainly have Escape to the Country on BBC. I haven't seen Escape to the Continent. Supervet is on CH4. Noel is a genius and amazing at what he does, the many success stories that came out of his ingenuity in saving someone's beloved pet always makes me happy. The occasions where it doesn't end happily are thankfully rare, it's true. I used not to be good with watching any of the surgeries, but the way Noel works his magic I became more fascinated and less queasy. Yeah, I think breaking bones I wince more at too.

That's understandable, not everyone who isn't British will get some of our humour. Never watched Monty Python myself. I'm not much one for panel shows or even stand up comedians. I find the odd few funny, but most I don't find funny at all.

Oh, I was thinking of an entirely different show. Ah, now I remember, it's The Good Fight that's the spin off of The Good Wife. Oops In my defence, they're all very similar titles. Too many shows with the title "The Good" in it

Back to crushes....Tom Ellis. My only other Tom crush. Welling will still always be the only one for me but Ellis is very charming too.

Old 05-14-2022, 08:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

I used to watch Vet on the Hill and Bondi Vet as well, but we haven't had new series of those in a long, long while. Ditto Paul O'Grady's For the Love of Dogs. I thought it was a pandemic issue, but...

Of course, it's not all UK comedians that make me laugh. Just like it's not all local comedians that I find funny. But the panel shows I watch have hosts that I find funny, so it's usually worthwhile to watch anyway, though sometimes it's not as good.

And now I totally see where the Good Wife, Good Fight, Good Place confusion occured. I didn't watch The Good Wife. I knew there was a spin-off, but I didn't even think of it or I would have said something. I was genuine confused at the time, but it's all cleared up now.

Tom Ellis is brilliant. We had two seasons of Lucifer on TV here and I didn't miss a single episode. It was a brilliant show. I don't stream, so when it moved to Netflix, that was the end of it for me, unfortunately. Anyway, Tom Ellis seems like a nice man. And, obviously, he's a very handsome one.
Reply   Post New Thread