Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2022, 07:21 AM
Extreme Fan

Ghostlight isn't that hard to follow if you pay attention. And as for it being the nadir of the show, I couldn't disagree more strongly. It's not my favourite, but far from the worst.

At it's heard, it's about a being called Light, is cataloguing all life in the universe. Sends an expeditionary force to Earth, but they mutiny and hide out at Gabriel Chase. Then, in 1987, or thereabouts, following her friend being the victim of a racial attack, Ace breaks in, and burns the place to the ground.

No doubt, Marc Platt would describe it better than I have.

Battlefield... is ok. It's the weak link in an otherwise strong series.
The Shadow Strikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:31 AM
Absolute Fan

And so we come to the end of Classic Who (albeit a little later than I'd planned) with The Curse of Fenric and Survival.

The Curse of Fenric
* Contrary to Received Fan Wisdom, this is not a good story; like Ghost Light, it's overly complex, poorly paced, and does not make good use of either Ace or the Doctor

* Fenric is also not a very compelling villain even though he by all rights ought to be

* As in Ghost Light, the supporting characters in this story are either useless or uninteresting, and the inclusion of the Haemovores is pointless and adds little to the story

* I didn't struggle quite as hard to get through this story as I did with Ghost Light, but I still wish I hadn't wasted my time watching it, making it only slightly better than Ghost Light and therefore only deserving of a 1.5 out of 5

Survival
In direct contrast to both Ghost Light and The Curse of Fenric, Survival is a fantastic story that encapsulates everything that sets Doctor Who apart from other Sci-Fi properties

* The start of the story with the Doctor and Ace coming back to Perivale (by consensual agreement this time) evokes comparisons to the beginning of the Modern Who stories Aliens of London and Fear Her

* The story also handles the Doctor and Ace so much better than the previous two stories did, with Ace's characterization in particular calling directly back to her introduction in Dragonfire

Bringing back the Ainley Master one last time also contributes to the excellence of this story, and the way in which he's revealed to initially be less of an overt antagonist and more of a 'bystander' in need of help is brilliantly played

* The supporting characters in the story are all interesting and contribute to the story in meaningful ways

* I also loved the Cheetah People, both in concept and execution, and was caught totally off-guard when Karra, the Cheetah Person who originally abducts Ace and with whom Ace forms the most intimate connection, transforms back into a human after the Master stabs her

* Survival is both an excellent story in its own right and a fitting conclusion to the Seventh Doctor Era and Classic Who, even before you throw in the perfectly delivered denouement voiceover monologue that Sylvester McCoy recorded in ADR, and earns yet another perfect score of 5 out of 5

I had originally intended to watch the Eighth Doctor TV movie, but am now unable to do so, which means that it's on to Modern Who (and the place where my Doctor Who journey originally started) with the Ninth Doctor Era, but as I close out my Classic Who pilgrimage, I want to give a final listing of my Favorite Classic Doctors:
1. Sixth Doctor
2. Seventh Doctor
3. Fifth Doctor
4. Fourth Doctor
5. Third Doctor
6. First Doctor
7. Second Doctor
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 03:36 PM
Moderator Support Team

Nice review, none of your streaming sites have the movie ?
Summer Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 03:12 PM
Moderator Support Team

New pictures

Old 12-06-2023, 02:29 PM
Elite Fan

Another Seven and Ace reunion in Tales From the Tardis.

Last edited by scififan2009; 12-06-2023 at 04:52 PM
scififan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:07 AM
Moderator Support Team

Thank you
Reply   Post New Thread