Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2021, 05:23 PM
Moderator Support Team

Season 13 General Discussion | S13 E089· Flux: Chapter 9 The Power of the Doctor : Jodie's Final (26th oct) page 6

S13 E02 · Flux- "War of the Sontarans"
Sunday 7th November 2021

EPISODE DESCRIPTION:

On Halloween, all across the universe, terrifying forces
are stirring. From the Arctic Circle to deep space, an
ancient evil is breaking free. And in present-day Liverpool,
the life of Dan Lewis is about to change forever.

PROMO

Last edited by Summer Falls; 10-20-2022 at 06:01 AM
Summer Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:31 AM
Obsessed Fan

Preordered it on itunes.
Waldfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 04:39 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldfrau (View Post)
Preordered it on itunes.
Sweet i need to find a way to watch it to
Old 10-31-2021, 11:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'm so excited! Just a few hours to wait! I have no idea when it will drop on itunes exactly, probably around 1 am in the morning in my time zone.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:54 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I'm so excited! Just a few hours to wait! I have no idea when it will drop on itunes exactly, probably around 1 am in the morning in my time zone.
Yay I still need to view it as well
Old 10-31-2021, 02:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I liked it. Curious as to where it is going.

Leigh Tumblr
BlondieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:12 PM
Absolute Fan

Cross-posted from elsewhere, here's my review:
Quote:
That was excellent.

I honestly don't understand why 'perceived fan wisdom' has cast the Chibnall Era as a disappointment or disaster thus far, because from where I sit there's been very little about the 23 episodes (and counting) that he's helped deliver that hasn't worked, and the more I experience of ' Classic Who', the more I come to appreciate the approach he's taking and the degree to which he's integrating the franchise's past and present.

Case in point: Starting off The Halloween Apocalypse with Thirteen and Yaz in peril in the midst of an adventure is quintessential 'Classic Who', but the tone and presentation of the story is decidedly 'modern' and smacks very much of stories like "Rose", "Partners in Crime", and pretty much every Finale from the Russell T. Davies era of the show... something that I find totally apprapos given that RTD is the one to whom Chibnall will be handing the baton next.

Beyond continuing the blending of 'Classic Who' homage with 'Modern Who' tone and presentation, this episode was also quintessential Chibnall, putting the emphasis on quick and dirty character establishment as a function of plot development and asking the viewer to strap in and enjoy the proverbial ride and expecting that they can and will.

Some people might argue that the story threw far too much at viewers all at once, but the way I see it is that by packing as much into the narrative as it did, The Halloween Apocalypse primed the pump for so much more to come over the course of the next five episodes and promises an epic adventure in the same way that a good book does, making it so that you can't wait to find out what's going to happen next.

I also appreciated the way that the episode blended the 'there isn't really a villain' narrative trope that was present in roughly half of Series 12 and most of Series 11 with a clear villainous scheme and a proper creepy and brand-new bad guy who clearly has the kind of history with the Doctor that you'd expect from foes like the Daleks and the Master, and thought it was exceptionally clever of Chibnall to reveal that the Doctor only saw Karvanista as an adversary because he was using aggressive tactics to try and stop her from interfering in his mission - and the wider mission of the Lupari in general - to save humanity from the Flux.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:12 PM
Absolute Fan

Cross-posted from elsewhere, here's my review:
Quote:
That was excellent.

I honestly don't understand why 'perceived fan wisdom' has cast the Chibnall Era as a disappointment or disaster thus far, because from where I sit there's been very little about the 23 episodes (and counting) that he's helped deliver that hasn't worked, and the more I experience of ' Classic Who', the more I come to appreciate the approach he's taking and the degree to which he's integrating the franchise's past and present.

Case in point: Starting off The Halloween Apocalypse with Thirteen and Yaz in peril in the midst of an adventure is quintessential 'Classic Who', but the tone and presentation of the story is decidedly 'modern' and smacks very much of stories like "Rose", "Partners in Crime", and pretty much every Finale from the Russell T. Davies era of the show... something that I find totally apprapos given that RTD is the one to whom Chibnall will be handing the baton next.

Beyond continuing the blending of 'Classic Who' homage with 'Modern Who' tone and presentation, this episode was also quintessential Chibnall, putting the emphasis on quick and dirty character establishment as a function of plot development and asking the viewer to strap in and enjoy the proverbial ride and expecting that they can and will.

Some people might argue that the story threw far too much at viewers all at once, but the way I see it is that by packing as much into the narrative as it did, The Halloween Apocalypse primed the pump for so much more to come over the course of the next five episodes and promises an epic adventure in the same way that a good book does, making it so that you can't wait to find out what's going to happen next.

I also appreciated the way that the episode blended the 'there isn't really a villain' narrative trope that was present in roughly half of Series 12 and most of Series 11 with a clear villainous scheme and a proper creepy and brand-new bad guy who clearly has the kind of history with the Doctor that you'd expect from foes like the Daleks and the Master, and thought it was exceptionally clever of Chibnall to reveal that the Doctor only saw Karvanista as an adversary because he was using aggressive tactics to try and stop her from interfering in his mission - and the wider mission of the Lupari in general - to save humanity from the Flux.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:24 AM
Moderator Support Team

Still haven't seen it
Old 11-01-2021, 11:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

I think that was a pretty good start! Looking forward to learning more about the flux and the division.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:08 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I think that was a pretty good start! Looking forward to learning more about the flux and the division.
That is awesome
Old 11-06-2021, 06:28 AM
Moderator Support Team

S13 E02 · Flux- Chapter 2 "War of the Sontarans"
Sunday 7th November 2021

EPISODE DESCRIPTION:

During the Crimean War, the Doctor discovers the British army fighting
a brutal alien army of Sontarans, as Yaz and Dan are thrown deeper
into a battle for survival. What is the Temple of Atropos? Who are the Mouri?.

PROMO

Old 11-06-2021, 10:55 AM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for the trailer!

There's also some Sontaran recap on the Doctor Who Youtube page:

Old 11-07-2021, 06:11 AM
Moderator Support Team

Thank you
Old 11-07-2021, 07:30 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'm not going to watch it though, because I don't want it to spoil the classic Sontaran episodes I haven't watched yet. (I've only watched two with Sarah and the 3rd/4th Doctor.)

Just rewatched "The Halloween Apocalypse". Now I wonder what everybody's rescue dog (Loupari) looks like.
Reply   Post New Thread