Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I kind of prefer it this way Imo, it makes it just that little bit darker, that a regeneration was rejected because of virtually unavoidable actions.

Leigh Tumblr
BlondieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
If my understanding is correct, we would not have needed or even had John Hurt had Chris appeared in the special. He was created to fill the gap when Moffat blew his chance to convince Chris to appear.
Well what I read, is that Eccleston signed up, then a week before read through, he said he wanted a specific director, and when Moffat said no, he pulled out, causing a massive rewrite...
Old 06-20-2015, 06:48 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieLeigh (View Post)
I kind of prefer it this way Imo, it makes it just that little bit darker, that a regeneration was rejected because of virtually unavoidable actions.
^ wait is that why john doctor regenerated? i was wondering that side to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
Well what I read, is that Eccleston signed up, then a week before read through, he said he wanted a specific director, and when Moffat said no, he pulled out, causing a massive rewrite...
See there are so many stories on that i feel he did want to do it but had other commitments
Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
The way I understood it, the regeneration was rejected and forgotten because he did something that at the time he didn't believe could be avoided.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-20-2015, 07:30 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)

See there are so many stories on that i feel he did want to do it but had other commitments
Firstly, in regards to Hurt, his Doctor regenerated due to old age- during William Hartnell's last story he remarked that his body was 'wearing a bit thin' and Hurt echoed the same sentiments just before he regenerated.

As for Eccleston, this is the story I read a couple of years ago:

Quote:
Christopher Eccleston provisionally agreed to appear in Doctor Who‘s 50th anniversary special The Day of the Doctor a source has told DWA.

After “amicable” meetings between ninth Doctor actor Eccleston and producer Steven Moffat at the start of the year, Chris agreed to partake in the special given certain creative input, primarily that Moffat consider the appointment of Joe Aherne as director.

“Steven rejected this out of hand, that was the end of anything Chris wanted to do with the project.”
Eccleston has certainly sung the praises of Joe Aherne recently. Speaking at the BFI’s ninth Doctor event in August the actor went on record to say:

“Joe Ahearne directed five of the thirteen episodes of the first series. He understood the tone the show needed completely – strong, bold, pacy visuals coupled with wit, warmth and a twinkle in the performances, missus. If Joe agrees to direct the 100th anniversary special, I will bring my Sonic and a stair-lift and – providing the Daleks don’t bring theirs”
The negotiations and Moffat’s refusal to budge on the issue led to the now infamous public row at the BBC Showcase event in February between The Moff and Caroline Skinner which many speculate led to her stepping down as Executive Producer in March.

The row shocked colleagues due to the very close working relationship that had developed between the two.
I also read another one that said this happened at the 11th Hour and it caused quite a bit of trouble for the production team.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Moderator Support Team

Oh so old age does it to duh thats what happen to Matts doctor to im so silly but thanks for clearing it up for me

wow see i never read that story .. makes sense i dont blame chris for not being in it though i get why he would want that director for it creatively he understands him .. but did moffat not want him for the eleventh hour to?
Old 06-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
Oh so old age does it to duh thats what happen to Matts doctor to im so silly but thanks for clearing it up for me

wow see i never read that story .. makes sense i dont blame chris for not being in it though i get why he would want that director for it creatively he understands him .. but did moffat not want him for the eleventh hour to?
Well I disagree- the star doesn't pick the director at the end of the day. Rarely have I heard of an instance where an actor demanded a director otherwise they wouldn't do the project. And no, the 11th Hour is an expression to mean at the very last minute- so he pulled out at the end of the pre production stage and just when they were about to start filming.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

If he dropped out because he couldn't get the director he wanted that's his problem. At the end of the day, the director is not his choice to make, and it would be ridiculous to give in to a demand like that because it would open the option up to other actors. Probably best he wasn't in it for the sake of less bts drama.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 06-22-2015, 02:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I had not heard the back ground as to why Eccleston didn't do the 50th, thanks for posting that. Still a shame something could not have been worked out. Not sure about the 100th and maybe the 60th?
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:23 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Well I disagree- the star doesn't pick the director at the end of the day. Rarely have I heard of an instance where an actor demanded a director otherwise they wouldn't do the project. And no, the 11th Hour is an expression to mean at the very last minute- so he pulled out at the end of the pre production stage and just when they were about to start filming.
thats true but i feel chris as an actor alwasy been that way and you cant change that side to him but i hope one day he will come back for the fans exspecailly the fans of his doctor it would mean a lot to them
Old 06-23-2015, 02:17 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Thanks, Tim, I had not read that, specifically. So Chris was planning on appearing originally but bowed out at the last minute? It doesn't change my view of him that he wanted a specific director. I don't blame him for that.
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
Thanks, Tim, I had not read that, specifically. So Chris was planning on appearing originally but bowed out at the last minute? It doesn't change my view of him that he wanted a specific director. I don't blame him for that.
I do think it is unreasonable for a guest star to demand a director. To me, that's very diva like behaviour...
Old 06-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Don't know if I'd class Chris as a 'guest star' IMO it's like in the US with the president, even when they leave office they are still called the president. So for me any past Doctor is still the Doctor.

That said I do agree its a tall ask but he did say that director had a feel for the show in the first season that the others didn't (or words to that affect).
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:13 AM
Moderator Support Team

Yer it's a bit of both really I do understand why it's a lot to ask but it's not a huge sacrifice if they did it fans prefer the actor more than a director
Old 06-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah but you can't fire a director just because a guest star (and he is a Guest Star- he is still the Doctor but if you're not a member of the recurring cast, then you're a guest star in my books) prefers you. I mean, if you're the director and you're given the job of directing the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who- arguably the biggest episode in the shows history- and then just before filming starts you get fired because a guest star prefers another director, its a bit harsh when he hadn't done anything to deserve being fired...
Reply   Post New Thread