Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 AM
Master Fan

"Someday, Someday, Maybe" book thread #2 - We´ll get the book someday, someday, for sure - April 30

Someday, Someday, Maybe
by Lauren Graham

Random House Publishing Group
Release day: April 30, 2013
Pre-order here

What is the book about?
Synopsis

Quote:
From Lauren Graham, the beloved star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood, comes a witty, charming, and hilariously relatable debut novel about a struggling young actress trying to get ahead―and keep it together―in New York City.

It’s January 1995, and Franny Banks has just six months left of the three-year deadline she set for herself when she came to New York, dreaming of Broadway and doing “important” work. But all she has to show for her efforts so far is a part in an ad for ugly Christmas sweaters, and a gig waiting tables at a comedy club. Her roommates―her best friend Jane, and Dan, an aspiring sci-fi writer―are supportive, yet Franny knows a two-person fan club doesn’t exactly count as success. Everyone tells her she needs a backup plan, and though she can almost picture moving back home and settling down with her perfectly nice ex-boyfriend, she’s not ready to give up on her goal of having a career like her idols Diane Keaton and Meryl Streep. Not just yet. But while she dreams of filling their shoes, in the meantime, she’d happily settle for a speaking part in almost anything—and finding a hair product combination that works.

Everything is riding on the upcoming showcase for her acting class, where she’ll finally have a chance to perform for people who could actually hire her. And she can’t let herself be distracted by James Franklin, a notorious flirt and the most successful actor in her class, even though he’s suddenly started paying attention. Meanwhile, her bank account is rapidly dwindling, her father wants her to come home, and her agent doesn’t return her calls. But for some reason, she keeps believing that she just might get what she came for.

Someday, Someday, Maybe is a story about hopes and dreams, being young in a city, and wanting something deeply, madly, desperately. It’s about finding love, finding yourself, and perhaps most difficult of all in New York City, finding an acting job.

previous unnofficial titles: You´ll Never Make It; Faster, Funnier, Louder

Quote:
Any Gilmore Girl fans out there? We've got actress Lauren Graham's debut novel, YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT, just acquired by @JenESmith!
Quote:
Lauren Graham's debut novel is semi-autobiographical about struggling actress in NYC in mid-90s who waits tables as she hopes for big break
Quote:
No date yet. Read early pages and it's fun RT @Lavender_Lines: @atrandom OMG when is Lauren Graham's book out? #drooling #musthave

First reviews:
Quote:
"Fresh and funny and full of zingers, Lauren Graham's charming writing style instantly drew me in, but it was her relatable characters (complete with doodled datebook entries!), irresistible romantic twists, and delicious plot that kept me turning pages until well past my bedtime."-Meg Cabot, author of the Princess Diaries and Heather Wells mystery series
Quote:
"Warm and funny, charming and smart."-Diane Keaton, New York Times bestselling author of Then Again

Previous thread

Last edited by Danke; 01-25-2013 at 03:28 AM
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread and book cover sneak peek. I want to buy it but not sure if I'll read it. I'm not a big reader, maybe I'll get the eBook copy on iTunes?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
Thanks for the new thread and book cover sneak peek. I want to buy it but not sure if I'll read it. I'm not a big reader, maybe I'll get the eBook copy on iTunes?
eBooks still need to get read though.

Thanks for the new thread.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks for the photo of the cover, I like the look of it a lot!

"...we're flavoured coffee brewing losers"
Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrygraham (View Post)
eBooks still need to get read though.
I got the Candice Bergan Bio years ago when Murphy Brown was on TV, still need to get to reading that
Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for the pic of the cover. Is that a bridge on it? Her pic will probably be on the back.

Craig, even if you never read it (which I will find a big mistake) you can atleast know that you have something special. I have a lot of books that I haven't read yet and may never get to because my daughter is constantly bringing me home books, but you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as that book is in my hands, what ever book I am reading at the time will be set aside until after I read Lauren's.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJ5941 (View Post)
Thanks for the pic of the cover. Is that a bridge on it? Her pic will probably be on the back.

Craig, even if you never read it (which I will find a big mistake) you can atleast know that you have something special. I have a lot of books that I haven't read yet and may never get to because my daughter is constantly bringing me home books, but you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as that book is in my hands, what ever book I am reading at the time will be set aside until after I read Lauren's.
Me too. Will probably not put it down until I'm finished

Love the cover - I'm glad as most of the celebrity autobiographies I've read (admittedly very few) feature a picture of the celeb all glammed up on the cover and I find it a bit off putting.

Lauren said the book is really about what NYC was like in the 90s, and what her experience of trying to be an actress there was like. To me, a pic of the Brooklyn Bridge is apt - I mean it has the obvious metaphorical 'bridge to your dreams' bit and is also a big landmark of NYC.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Castle
Stana Katic

I like the cover.
And why would Lauren be on it? It's only half-autobiographic, right? Or, based on her experiences, so why would she be on the cover...

It might be on the back, though, yeah.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copop (View Post)
I like the cover.
And why would Lauren be on it? It's only half-autobiographic, right? Or, based on her experiences, so why would she be on the cover...

It might be on the back, though, yeah.
Yeah it's very clear that this book is a work of FICTION. Not a celebrity autobiography or memoir. Thank God for that. How refreshing.
Sarah
Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Elite Fan

Tftnt! I love the cover!
icon: Permanent_99
Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Extreme Fan

Love the book cover sneak peak..
Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Extreme Fan

Love the cover

Since it's a preview copy, there's a chance the final one could look slightly different from this one (since they haven't release the official one yet)
Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJ5941 (View Post)

Well I'm getting an iPad later this year so maybe the 2 events will coincide

Sorry if this has been answered but do we have a price for the eBook v real book?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

FOlks, I have a feeling the cover is going to be completely different. A model tweeted on twitter that she is shooting the cover of Lauren's book tomorrow. So maybe it won't have the bridge on it after all...
Sarah
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Extreme Fan

Oh, interesting. Curious to see what the final cover will be..
"There's an expression in the casting business: 'God does not give with both hands.' Meaning, he doesn't give looks plus talent plus comedy. But in her case, he definitely did. It's tough to find someone that pretty who's that funny and has got all the goods." -Mark Hirschfeld