Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-08-2003, 02:12 AM
Extreme Fan

That's so great! It's so weird seeing a movie make that much, seeing as most of the movies over here are lucky to make it into double digits.

In my Sunday paper it said that from last week the movie came 6th. I forgot the amount though.

"Chi trova un amico , trova un tesoro"
Old 12-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Fan

[img]smilies/clap.gif[/img] Whoo! Go Bad Santa! Go Lauren! They're doing the happy dance now singing, "We're in the money!" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

junkie | LG fanlisting | My babies | Life's a Bitch

The Seeress of the High Desert
Old 12-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Extreme Fan

Kitty ~ [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

The movie is definitely rolling in a decent amount of cash for a rated R film. It's made back the cost of the film. I'd love for it to crack $40 million but just making it over $30 mil. is great! We have to keep in mind that it only played in just over 2,000 theatres also. It's doing great!
Old 12-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Fan

It's doing great for only showing at 2000 theaters. And the rest of the movies out are nationwide. So that says a lot. Maybe we'll see some awards for this movie and for Lauren. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Extreme Fan

Awards would be awesome. Maybe a Golden Globe? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Fan

Lauren should definately get an award.. she brought so much more to her character than what the writer wrote for her. I think if anyone else did that character instead of Lauren.. the part wouldn't have been as memorable. Out of all the reviews that didn't like the movie, Lauren still came out looking good. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-09-2003, 12:38 AM
Master Fan

Here's a Variety article that discusses possible Oscarn nominations. It lists Bad Santa, reasons why it might and why it might not.

Quote:
Title: Bad Santa

Studio: Miramax

Director: Terry Zwigoff (news)

Cast: Billy Bob Thornton (news), Lauren Graham (news), Bernie Mac (news), John Ritter (news)

Box office: Why it will be nominated: A adults-only version of Kris Kringle is nice change from the sugar and sweet.

Why it won't be nominated: Might make the HFPA look a bit too cynical.

Variety review: First-rate talent and a uniquely dyspeptic mood separate this effort from more routine, populist stabs at tasteless yukkage.[/i]
Old 12-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Elite Fan

Watching bootleg is so annoying. Horribly bad sound and bad picture. But at least I got to watch it. That is, I haven't seen the last 30 minutes yet, but I'll get to that later.

It was actually less funny than I thought it would be, so that was mildly disappointing. But it was still pretty good. The kid was so adorable, and I felt so sorry for him with everyone being mean to him. He was also a bit slow with the whole Santa stuff. Poor kid. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Lauren did a fantastic job, as she always does. Her role was way too small and all she did was **** Santa. But we already knew that. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] All the hoopla with the sex scenes was so not necessary. A few "**** me, Santa?" and a little moaning wasn't exactly disturbing to watch. It was cute how she kept saying how much she liked him. Aw. Billy Bob was, as always, fabulous. Not much more to say about that.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Extreme Fan

OscarWatch.com has Billy Bob as one of the possible nominees for Best Actor.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Master Fan

I felt bad for the kid too, and when he got the wedgie, I felt so bad but it was hard to control from not laughing!

But Granny was frickin' funny - and I thought it was cute how they always wanted to make sandwiches. I didn't like Bernie Mac's character...he doesn't work as a Texan.

No offense to any Billy Bob fans but I don't really see why he would get an oscar nomination...to me his character wasn't anything out of the norm, I mean how hard is it to say "*****" every two words? If anyone should get an oscar it should be Lauren, Granny, or the Kid in my opinion...but maybe I'm just being racist against Billy Bob - but it's my opinion. I hope Johnny Depp gets an Oscar Nomination, he worked in PotC!

[ 12-09-2003: Message edited Çherié £u£u ]

-*- Journal || LG Media Alerts -*-
Old 12-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Fan

Eli, it's better in the theater. Although there is a better version of the movie out now. I'm waiting for the dvd. It shouldn't be too long.. dvd's are coming out so quickly now. It used to be six months to a year before a movie in the theater makes it out on video.. now it's like three months!

The Granny cracked me up how she kept wanting to make sandwiches. Kevin thought it was a bit dumb that she was so senile and well, dumb.. but it was funny.

I too, wish they would have made Lauren's part a little bigger. But she's made such an impact on the movie, to the critics, her co-workers and producers, her fans, and the media with such a small role. A role that in most cases would have been forgotten or less memorable.

So, yes Cher, Lauren is the one that I think deserves an Oscar. It was small role, but out of the whole movie, she's the one everyone remembers and is more fond of.

I didn't care for Bernie Mac's or the elve's role.. they just weren't that funny.

Old 12-09-2003, 03:48 PM
Master Fan

I thought everyone in the movie was really funny, except Bernie Mac. If Billy Bob got an Oscar nomination I'd be happy, I thought he did a great job with this role, it's hard to see anyone else playing it. People don't often get nominated in Comedy roles, that alone would be kinda cool. I hear the screenplay is in the running too.

Eli, it really is fun to see it with an audience. People crack the hell up. I left at one point to use the restroom and came back and was mad at myself for leaving because I came back and the whole audience was in hysterics about whatever joke had just been on.

Having said that, to each his/her own. Obviously not everyone is going to have the exact same opinion about the movie. C'est la vie. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Extreme Fan

I wouldn't call myself a Billy Bob fan but I just think that a Best Actor nod is something that is due to him and might be one of the mail reasons why he is looked @ for the nomination. He's been overlooked time and time again. Plus, that's a difficult role to pull off. It was a risk he took and I'm guessing by it's reviews and box office #'s, it payed off for him.

Personally, I feel bad saying this but I'm almost guaranteeing that he won't be nominated for the Oscar. But, a Golden Globe nod is looking more and more likely since they seperate the categories into Drama and Comedic Performances.

I would love for Lauren to be nominated for her role as Sue. Maybe she'll get a supporting nod at the Globes? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 12-09-2003: Message edited crazymike4 ]
Old 12-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Fan

Brett Kelly (He played the little kid) is going to be on the Sharon Osborne show this Friday to talk about Bad Santa. I don't know if there will be any Lauren shout outs.. but it's worth to find out. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-09-2003: Message edited catkok ]

Old 12-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Master Fan

I think the Golden Globes might be a possiblity Mike.

Kitty, thanks for that. I'm gonna watch for a possible LG shout out for sure.