Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2020, 10:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Welcome to the board and Fan Forum!

I've moved your discussion into an existing thread, just so we can keep our existing threads active and filed in the board guide for everyone to find.

Have you really never met anyone who likes it? That is quite a shame for sure. I do know people who like sci-fi, but I do know some who don't 'get' it as well.

A soap opera in space sounds an interesting idea, although I'm not a fan of soap opera!

I'm looking forward to The Right Stuff. Perhaps that is too historical to count though?

I think a lot of people are dismissive of the genre without actually trying it though. Your main hurdle is to get them past existing prejudices.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:35 PM
New Fan

Why was there such a big stigma on sci fi in the early to mid 2010s?

I remember when BSG ended in back 2009 there was nothing to replace it. From 2010 to 2014 there was no show with a spaceship in it. This was also a time where reality shows were popular. People were considered normal if they watched reality shows or doctor soap operas but considered people who lived in basements if they watched "BSG".

This is not the case now with shows like "The Expanse", "Star Trek Discovery", "Raised by Wolves", and "The Mandalorian" as well as all these astronaut themed shows but why did pop culture and society lose interest in space during that time period? Why were TV viewers back then pressured to conform?

Did something happen in the 90s and 2000s to make society so vapid?
Old 10-23-2020, 01:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This thread is more appropriate for general discussion issues on this board. Please don't open new threads if a thread already exists for that topic, thank you.

I hope you will return to discuss the issues you raise.

I'm not quite sure why you discount Doctor Who as being a show with a spaceship in it, but I suppose you are only talking about US shows?
Old 10-23-2020, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrShep (View Post)
I remember when BSG ended in back 2009 there was nothing to replace it. From 2010 to 2014 there was no show with a spaceship in it. This was also a time where reality shows were popular. People were considered normal if they watched reality shows or doctor soap operas but considered people who lived in basements if they watched "BSG".

This is not the case now with shows like "The Expanse", "Star Trek Discovery", "Raised by Wolves", and "The Mandalorian" as well as all these astronaut themed shows but why did pop culture and society lose interest in space during that time period? Why were TV viewers back then pressured to conform?

Did something happen in the 90s and 2000s to make society so vapid?
That era produced shows like Buffy, The X-Files, Dark Angel, Roswell for ex. So vapid? Hardly.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I never noticed a lack of sci-fi either.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I watched a lot of Star Trek in the 90s
Old 10-24-2020, 12:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh me too. It was a great time for Star Trek.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

and the Species movies came out. I loved those!
Old 10-25-2020, 01:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'd forgotten about that.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:01 AM
New Fan

Why can't we have an optimistic space adventure show that is of HBO quality?

I remember back in 2014 I was not interested in anything space or sci fi until a friend begged me to play "Mass Effect". After picking up a cheap copy of the first Mass Effect at a local "GameStop" I was enthralled. I was blown away by what I saw. It was unlike anything I ever played before. It looked like an interactive movie but it felt more like a novel in visual form.

It also gave me a sense of wonder of what might be might be out there in space. It also gave me a vision of what humanity can be like if it stopped fighting over stupid things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDu_EIAsmDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-elPKyfpJrM

An up and coming scientist who was becoming more popular on social media added nothing but fuel to that fire. His name was "Neil Degrasse Tyson".

Throughout the Summer of 2014 I went stargazing with a telescope I bought from a "Barnes & Noble".

Mass Effect left me hungering for more. I picked up some "Expanse" and "Culture" novels after finishing the trilogy.

I also noticed that this type of pop culture was not very popular compared to fantasy like "The Hobbit", "Game of Thrones", and "Star Wars".

I found that kind of sad.

Why don't we have an epic space adventure on TV that make "Star Trek" and "The Orville" look like a joke?

Is society too cynical to imagine a future in space?

It would be nice if the TV show producers could make space travel and the future exciting again!
Old 09-17-2022, 04:36 PM
New Fan

The middle aged people in my American suburb tend to prefer shows like "The Walking Dead" and "Storage Wars". The young people I meet tend to enjoy "Stranger Things", which I also enjoyed and reality TV.

It would be nice if television's next big thing was something that made space travel and the future exciting again.

Has society become too enthralled in graphic violent and reality show materialism to be excited for space travel and the future?
Old 09-18-2022, 07:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

There is a new Stargate show potentially coming though.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:32 AM
New Fan

How would you act, if you were a massive giant?

Imagine you'd grow to a size where even skyscrapers can't reach the ankles of your feet. From your point of view cities look like tiny models and forests like fields of moss. People are so small that they are individually indistinguishable for you. You are so large that walking without stepping on villages or city blocks is next to impossible.

How would you act if there were no consequences for you and you could do anything you want?

Would you stand still to not hurt anyone or would you stroll around even if it meant stepping on buildings and people?

Would you bother to watch out for your friends and family or do you think that they are too small to be noticed by you anyway.

What footwear would you choose?

How do you think a tiny person would experience the situation?
Old 10-20-2022, 03:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I've put your post into our General Discussion thread, but I'm not too sure if your post is really about Sci-fi or Fantasy. Still we'll see if anyone wants to discuss the topic....
Old 11-04-2022, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

yup...great general discussion thread topic...

from a heroes point of view.... I guess live in wide open spaces so I would not hurt anyone

from a villains point of view...they want to destroy.... so I guess near a city

Monsters vs Aliens is the best Giant movie I can think of with human turning giant
Closed Thread   Post New Thread