Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Total Fan

General Sci-Fi/Fantasy Discussion Thread #2

Still haven't watched the DVDs for Krull or Kull the Conquerer. I'm caught up on last week's television shows so I'll see them tomorrow.

Old thread: http://www.fanforum.com/f118/general...-thread-41963/

Last edited by dukesmom; 11-10-2007 at 10:51 PM
Old 11-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread.

Whoop, can't wait to see what you think of them.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Total Fan

Krull - enjoyable bad cinema. And yes, the special effects were not very good. As I pointed out in the previous thread, all three of the first Star Wars movies had been released before or around the same time as this film so it wasn't just because of when the film was made. Won't be adding it to my collection but I'm glad I saw it.

Kull the Conqueror - bad, not good bad. A couple of the actors seemed to play up the badness and I enjoyed them, but the rest of the movie was just bad, IMO.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Elite Fan

Didn't Kull have Daphne Zuniga in it?

You didn't thoroughly love Krull?! It's because they called the spinny thing a glaive, wasn't it?
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Total Fan

Tia Carrere was the Red Witch in Kull.

I really didn't care what they called the starfish-looking weapon in Krull - Glaive is as good as any other name. The movie was kind of fun, just not as good bad as the 1980 Flash Gordon, which is AWESOME bad, IMO.

The old-fashioned theater downtown is going to be showing Blade Runner: The Final Cut next week (18th-23rd). Since I've only ever seen variations of the movie on a television screen, I may have to pry myself off my couch and check it out.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, but who was the girl that sucked in the cold.....I'll have to go look it up.

Whoa.....you brought in the Flash Gordon.......wow....

Woo, no one's showing it around here, though I'd like to see it. It's a digital print now too, I think.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Total Fan

Zareta was played by Karina Lumbard. More recently she was Alana Mareva on The 4400.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Elite Fan

Righttttt......why did I get them so confused. boggle.

I need to catch up on 4400, I'm like 3 seasons down, I think.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Total Fan

I did see Blade Runner - The Final Cut last night. I wish I hadn't been so tired and cold (I brought a sweater but the theater was still colder than I like). That's what it's supposed to be like in 12 short years? Don't think we're going to reach that level of technology or space exploration. I will have to squeeze in a viewing of my not Final Cut VHS of the movie to try to pick out the differences. A few days ago I posted some quotes in the quote thread and every time I heard one of those quotes last night, it was a little weird.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Screw the final cut. Director's cut, final cut, there's all that Deckard-is-a-replicant nonsense. Harrison Ford played Deckard as a human being not a bleedin replicant. That's what he had in mind while playing the role. That's what counts. The only cut worth paying any attention to is the original one. And even that's not too good apart from Ford's performance.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Elite Fan

And good morning to you Sum, how have you been?

Which package did you end up going with dukesmom? Did they leave the ending open again, with them driving into Canada.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Total Fan

Went ahead and got the special package with the free food, drink, and fan club membership, although I'm saving the coupons for another day. It's the first time I've been in that kind of theater since the mid-70s. When I was a kid, the old-fashioned theater downtown had the balcony seating but that section was hardly ever open. Needless to say, I sat in the balcony Wednesday night. While I was waiting for the curtain to go up, I was trying to remember the last film I saw not in a multiplex. It might have been Island at the Top of the World, a 1974 release, but that seems a little too far back.

eta: forgot to answer your question about the end of the movie. They left his apartment and got into the elevator. I believe they were going to Canada. He also found the origami swan (IIRC) in the hallway and you hear Gaff say, "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?" as a voice over.

Last edited by dukesmom; 11-26-2007 at 11:15 PM
Old 11-26-2007, 06:01 AM
Elite Fan

Hrm...interesting ending.

We have a theatre like that, it's called the fox....last movie I saw there was the Three Musketeers with Michael York in it.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Total Fan

The Paramount Theatre has a pretty cool summer feature film series that I always intend to catch but haven't yet. Now that I'm a film fan club member I guess I'll have a good excuse. It also has a real stage so they also have plays and other events. "Stomp" seems to come every year. I know Bill Engvall taped a special there. There's also a series of plays about a fictional small Texas town by the name of Tuna that has 2 male actors doing all the parts (male, female, young, and old). I think they've even taken one or more of the shows on the road. They sound hilarious and one of these days I'm going to see one. Apparently nothing was scheduled for tonight but last night they had "Australian Pink Floyd" (moved from Austin Music Hall), which I'm guessing is a tribute band.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Elite Fan

Oh, it's a really good "tribute band". I've seen them a couple of times live and on TV. If you like pink floyd, they are the game to see right now, especially since pink floyd will probably never tour again.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread