Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, speaking for myself only, I would say the point is that it's not appropriate.

Not even a little bit.

So, yeah, I know absolutely nothing about this case, but I believe the girl.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:

Famed former child actress Shirley Temple dies

Shirley Temple Black, who rose to fame as arguably the most popular child star in Hollywood history, died late Monday night, her publicist said.
She was 85.

Temple Black, who also enjoyed a long career as a diplomat, died of natural causes at her Woodside, California, home. She was surrounded by family and caregivers, a statement from Cheryl Kagan said.

She began acting at age 3 and became a massive box-office draw before turning 10, commanding a then-unheard of salary of $50,000 per movie.
Her first film of notice was in 1932 when she played in "War Babies," part of the "Baby Burlesks" series of short films.

For about 18 years, she sang, tap-danced and acted her way into the hearts of millions. Her corkscrew curls were popular with little girls from the 1930s through the 1970s.
Early years
Her star shone brightest as a toddler, and 20th Century Fox cranked out a series of feature films with the adorable, talented little girl. Her hits included "Little Miss Marker" (1934), "Curly Top" (1935) and "The Littlest Rebel" (1935).
At the box office, she beat out the great adult stars of her day, such as Clark Gable and Bing Crosby. Her popularity spawned a large array of merchandizing items, such as dolls, hats and dresses.
She was the top box-office star four years in a row, from 1935 to 1938. Her career was at its peak as the country was suffering the effects of the Great Depression, and her films offered uplifting moments.
But as she got older, the pace of movies slowed, and by 1939, her popularity was fading. She and 20th Century Fox terminated her contract early in 1940, just before she reached her teenage years.

U.S. diplomat
She retired from filmmaking at 22 and married Charles Black, changing her last name from Temple to Temple Black.

But she did not fade from the public eye.
She embarked on a new career as a foreign diplomat: She served in the U.S. delegation to the United Nations from 1969 to 1974 was U.S. ambassador to Ghana from 1974 to 1976, and U.S. ambassador to Czechoslovakia from 1989 to 1992.

Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush, who appointed her to the Czechoslovakia post, said Tuesday that he and his wife "mourn the loss of an American icon."
"She captured the affections of millions around the world by her endearing performances on the silver screen as a young girl, but I also admired Shirley for her selfless service to our country later in her life," Bush said in a statement released by his spokesman. "In both roles, she truly lifted people up and earned not only a place in our hearts -- but also our enduring respect.
"Barbara and I send our condolences to Shirley's family and countless fans around the world."

A statement from Temple Black's family members said they "salute her for a life of remarkable achievements as an actor, as a diplomat, and most importantly as our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and adored wife of fifty-five years of the late and much missed Charles Alden Black."
Enduring icon

She remained a cultural icon for decades after stepping down from the silver screen.

In 1958, she made a comeback as an entertainer, this time on television, in an hourlong show, "Shirley Temple's Storybook."
She later received two lifetime achievement awards for her performing career.
In 1972, Temple Black successfully battled breast cancer.
Funeral arrangements are pending. A remembrance guest book will be set up online at shirleytemple.com.
Rest In Peace Shirley Temple.

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
Well, speaking for myself only, I would say the point is that it's not appropriate.

Not even a little bit.

So, yeah, I know absolutely nothing about this case, but I believe the girl.
It is just plain stupid to talk that way to the press

It is sad that Shirley Temple died, she was a good actor
Old 02-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Total Fan

Rest in peace, Shirley Temple.

Beginning to act at age 3... That's commitment. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amethyst* (View Post)
It is just plain stupid to talk that way to the press
Totally agreed. And especially putting these remarks into the overall context of what Allen's been accused of over the time...
Old 02-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Shirley Temple had a very early career in the entertainment business, which tells me her parents probably had a lot to do with it.

But, of course, she's well known for having been a symbol of optimism to the nation during the Great Depression, so there was a greater purpose there.

And, as an adult, she was a champion of various causes, which is always something to admire, even if I didn't quite agree with her politics.

My thoughts are for her family and loved ones.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Piers Morgan interviewed by U.K. police investigating phone hacking case

LONDON -- Prominent CNN talk show host Piers Morgan confirmed Friday that he has been interviewed by British police investigating the illegal interception of telephone voicemails.

Morgan, formerly a tabloid newspaper editor in Britain, was not arrested but was "interviewed under caution" on Dec. 6 by British detectives investigating the long-running phone hacking scandal.

"This was further to a full witness statement I had already freely provided," Morgan said in a statement. "I attended that interview as requested."

He has consistently denied wrongdoing.

The Metropolitan Police said a 48-year-old journalist was questioned under caution on that date. That means the interview was recorded and could be used in future prosecutions.

A police statement said the questioning is linked to phone hacking at Mirror Group Newspapers, one of the U.K.'s biggest media groups.

Morgan, who in 2011 stepped into the CNN talk show host role long held by Larry King, edited The Daily Mirror newspaper between 1995 and 2004. He has told a British inquiry that he was not aware of any phone hacking during his tenure at the tabloid.

Judge Brian Leveson, who led the investigation, called Morgan's denial "utterly unpersuasive."

One issue that has not been resolved deals with Morgan's confirmation that he heard a voicemail left by former Beatle Paul McCartney on the phone of his now ex-wife, Heather Mills.

Morgan's description of the message in a 2006 article for the Daily Mail led some to wonder whether he'd got it through phone hacking. Mills has said there was no way Morgan could have obtained it honestly.

Morgan has not publicly explained how he heard the message.

Britain's long-running phone hacking scandal has rocked Britain's political and media elite, leading to numerous arrests, resignations and the closure of Rupert Murdoch's News of the World tabloid.

Former key Murdoch executives Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson are on trial for their alleged role in phone hacking.
It just gives you an idea of the kind of people CNN is willing to employ these days.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Total Fan

Piers Morgan... this only reinforces my impression that he's a very unprofessional journalist.

His favorite leisure time activity appears to be getting involved in haggling about lowbrow-comments directed at him on Twitter.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not even sure how he qualifies as a journalist, to be honest.

I can't shake my impression of him as the judge from... whichever talent show it was that he used to be a judge for.

He's so inextricably attached to "celebrity" news in my mind that I can't wrap my brain around he passes for a journalist.

Add to that this disgusting hacking scandal he seems mired in and, honestly, it gives me a very specific opinion of the man.

I don't know him personally but, professionally speaking, I'm perfectly happy to think of him as a douchebag.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Jimmy Fallon's debut on The Tonight Show a ratings hit

Jimmy Fallon's debut as the host of NBC's long-running The Tonight Show was a ratings hit for the US broadcaster.

Viewing-figures firm Nielsen said 11.3 million people watched him take over the show on Monday evening.

But the audience fell short of the 14.6 million viewers who saw Jay Leno sign off as host of the programme.

The figures do not necessarily take account of those who watched segments of the show online via services such as YouTube or Hulu.

Fallon, 39, will compete against late-night shows hosted by David Letterman on CBS and Jimmy Kimmel on ABC. Kimmel, 46, has proved popular with the key 18-49 demographic.

"I really don't know how I got here," Brooklyn-born Fallon, who rose to fame as a cast member on the US comedy show Saturday Night Live, told Monday night's cheering studio audience.

"I just want to do the best I can, and take care of the show for a while. If you guys let me stick around long enough, maybe I'll get the hang of it."

Fallon's guests included a parade of celebrities such as Robert De Niro, Will Smith, Lady Gaga and Mike Tyson, plus a performance from the rock band U2.

Leno stepped down for a second time as host of the six-decades-old show on 6 February. He originally took over from Johnny Carson in 1992.

Leno briefly retired in 2009, handing over to comedian Conan O'Brien.

But Leno came back when O'Brien quit amid an attempt by channel executives to reschedule The Tonight Show to later in the evening.

Fallon's debut, coming after the broadcaster's nightly Olympics programme, gained two million more watchers than O'Brien's debut.
As soon as I'm holiday, I plan on checking out his show.

I love Jimmy Fallon.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not the most significant news, by any stretch, but one that hits a note of nostalgia for me:

Quote:
Maria von Trapp, last member of Sound of Music family, dies

The last surviving member of the Trapp Family Singers, the group whose story inspired The Sound of Music, has died at the age of 99, her family say.

Maria von Trapp died at her home in Vermont on Tuesday, her brother, Johannes von Trapp, told the Associated Press.

He said she was a "lovely woman who was one of the few truly good people".

Von Trapp and her family fled Nazi-occupied Austria in 1938 and ended up performing around the US.

Their story eventually inspired the 1959 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, The Sound of Music, and subsequent 1965 hit film.

It tells the tale of a young woman who leaves an Austrian convent to become a governess to the seven children of a naval officer widower, Georg von Trapp.

'Remarkable'

Maria von Trapp was the second-oldest daughter of Capt von Trapp - with his first wife - and was portrayed as Louisa in the musical.

Her family moved to the US state of Vermont in 1942 after visiting during a singing tour, and later opened a lodge in the town of Stowe, which they still operate.

Writing in a blog post on the lodge's website, von Trapp described how it was her ill health as a child that led her father to employ a governess to teach her and her siblings.

"She came to us as my teacher and after three years became our second mother," she said.

Marianne Dorfer, a family friend who runs the von Trapp Villa Hotel in Salzburg told the Austrian Times that von Trapp had suffered from a weak heart since childhood.

Ms Dorfer said it was because of Maria's ill heath that her father decided to hire a governess. "That of course then led to one of the most remarkable musical partnerships of the last century," she added

The Sound of Music was based loosely on a 1949 book by the governess, who became Capt von Trapp's second wife and died in 1987.
The only way that headline makes sense is if the Johannes mentioned in the article was born in the U.S. and is therefore not considered part of the "Sound of Music" family unit.

It's still a very odd thing to say, given that a brother is still alive, no?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Ghostbusters star Harold Ramis dies aged 69

Actor and director Harold Ramis, best known for the films Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day, has died aged 69.

He died of autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, a rare disease that involves swelling of the blood vessels, his agent told the BBC.

The star found fame as bespectacled ghost-hunter Egon Spengler in the Ghostbusters franchise in 1984.

But he was also a talented writer and director, whose credits included Caddyshack and Animal House.

"His creativity, compassion, intelligence, humour and spirit will be missed by all who knew and loved him," said his family in a statement.

The star had reportedly been quiet about his illness, which dated back to 2010.

'The real deal'

But several friends are said to have visited him recently, including Bill Murray from whom he had been estranged for years, the Chicago Tribune said.

Ramis' death prompted an outpouring of tributes on Twitter.

Billy Crystal, who starred in the director's mobster comedies Analyze This and Analyze That, wrote: "Sad to hear my friend Harold Ramis passed away.

"A brilliant, funny actor and director. A wonderful husband and dad. Big loss to us all."

Iron Man director Jon Favreau added: "No, no, not Harold Ramis. Worked for him years ago. He was the real deal. Growing up, his work changed my life. He will be missed."

'Straight man'

Family Guy creator Seth McFarlane wrote: "Harold Ramis was a brilliant, shining example for every comedy writer hoping to achieve excellence [in] the field."

Born in Chicago to convenience store owners Ruth and Nathan, Ramis studied at Washington University in St Louis and, on graduation, briefly worked in a psychiatric ward.

He started his career as a writer by penning arts stories for his local newspaper and editing Playboy magazine's "party jokes" section.

After leaving the magazine, he joined Chicago's renowned Second City improvised comedy troupe but said he realised his limitations as a performer after encountering John Belushi.

"When I saw how far he was willing to go to get a laugh or to make a point on stage, the language he would use, how physical he was, throwing himself literally off the stage, taking big falls, strangling other actors, I thought: 'I'm never going to be this big.'"

Instead, he played the straight man - acting as a sardonic foil to Bill Murray in the army comedy Stripes, and playing the most straitlaced and scientifically inclined of the Ghostbusters trio.

The film, a global smash in 1984, spawned a sequel in 1989 as well as a long-running cartoon series. A third instalment had been in development for several years.

Ramis acknowledged that the spectral comedy was his most memorable work but took pride in its longevity.

"People love Ghostbusters in a really big way," he said in 2009. "Parents loved it for their kids. Teachers loved it.

The film remains one of the most successful comedy movies of all time, with takings of more than $500m (£300m) adjusted for inflation.

After the sequel, Ramis developed his career behind the camera, directing Bill Murray in Groundhog Day and Robert De Niro in Analyze This.

His other films included The Ice Harvest, Bedazzled and prehistoric comedy Year One, his final movie, in 2009. More recently, he had directed episodes of NBC television's The Office.

Ramis also inspired a new generation of film-makers, including Judd Apatow, who cast the director in his 2007 comedy Knocked Up.

He is survived by his wife, Erica, sons Julian and Daniel, daughter Violet and two grandchildren.
Apparently, he was just one of those people who you loved as an actor and who, as it turns out, was the impetus behind a little iceberg of amazing work.

I never knew he was responsible for the creation of so many classic comedies.

Obviously, for those who knew him best, the loss will be even worse than that.

But, even having never met the man, I do feel like the world is the better for him having been in it.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

This is not surprising, but it is now official:

Quote:
Philip Seymour Hoffman 'killed by toxic mix of drugs'

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died of an accidental overdose of a mixture of drugs including heroin, cocaine, amphetamine, and benzodiazepine, officials have said.

The Oscar winner, 46, was found dead at his home in New York City on 2 February with a syringe in his arm.

He had struggled with drug addiction and had recently acknowledged he had relapsed after being clean for years.

The New York medical examiner revealed the post-mortem results on Friday.

He was survived by his partner of 15 years, Mimi O'Donnell, and their three children.

After 23 years of sobriety, he reportedly checked himself into a drug treatment programme for 10 days last year after relapsing in 2012.

After a playwright and friend found his body in his flat in Manhattan's Greenwich Village neighbourhood, police arrived and discovered dozens of bags of heroin.

One of the most admired actors of his generation, Hoffman won an Academy Award in 2006 for his role as Truman Capote in Capote.

He was also nominated for Charlie Wilson's War, Doubt and The Master.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Anyone else watch the Oscars?

The funnest part, for me, was the running pizza gag.

Apparently, even the pizza guy didn't know that was gonna happen:

Quote:
'It was really crazy': Pizza delivery guy hands out slices during Oscars gag

It may have been Hollywood’s biggest night, but all eyes were on a pizzeria owner when he showed up onstage to deliver slices to hungry A-listers during the Oscars telecast.

Edgar, who owns one of the Big Mama’s and Papa’s Pizzeria establishments in Hollywood, was filling an order for several party pizzas to the Dolby Theatre during the Academy Awards ceremony Sunday night when he suddenly found himself onstage while a billion viewers watched him on TV.

Appearing as a guest on the Ellen Show Monday, Edgar said he had been expecting to deliver pizzas to writers backstage, and was “just shocked” when Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres brought him before the audience.

“Then when I was there, they just told me ‘wait here’ and you came out,” Edgar told DeGeneres during a taping of her daytime talk show.

He said DeGeneres then told him to follow her.

“Then I’m going and I’m on the stage. I was just shocked,” he said. “It was really crazy.”

But Edgar, clad in a less-than-formal sweatshirt, sneakers and baseball cap, kept his cool as he and DeGeneres handed out cheesy slices to some of the biggest stars in the world, including Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence, Harrison Ford and a pregnant Kerry Washington.

“Who’s your favourite movie star, they’re here. Who do you want to talk to?” DeGeneres said as Brad Pitt helped the pair hand out disposable plates.

The gag continued as DeGeneres turned to the audience to gather tip money, including Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

“Harvey, no pressure, only a billion people watching, whatever you feel is right,” DeGeneres said.

She later passed around singer Pharrell’s giant hat as an makeshift collection plate.

During Edgar’s guest appearance on her show, DeGeneres paid up, handing Edgar a $1,000 tip.

Edgar said he and his brother own the pizzeria, which is part of a chain.

But the best part of the night for Edgar? Meeting Julia Roberts.

“I was always watching her movies back in Moscow,” he said.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Elite Fan

BBC News - Oscars 2014: Academy Awards ceremony gets biggest TV audience in 10 years

Quote:
Sunday's Oscars ceremony, hosted by Ellen DeGeneres, was watched by 43 million TV viewers in the US.

According to broadcaster ABC, it was the biggest audience for the Academy Awards in a decade.

The audience was 6.4% bigger than last year when the event was fronted by Seth McFarlane, according to ratings figures from Nielsen.

The most recent biggest TV audience was 43.6m in 2004, when The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King cleaned up.

The most watched Oscars ceremony on television came in 1998, when the triumph of Titanic with 11 Academy awards was seen by 55.3 million viewers.

Last year's choice of irreverent host McFarlane drew criticism from some quarters. DeGeneres - hosting the event for the second time - was seen as a safer pair of hands.

The comedian and TV host received mixed reviews for this year's ceremony, but her tenure was seen as a step away from recent attempts to draw in younger audiences.

Despite this, data from ratings trackers Nielsen suggested that there was an increase of 1% in the 18 to 34-year-old audience bracket.

Regardless of the critics' views, Degeneres' staged a "selfie" photograph with several of the stars in the audience which was a hit on social media, setting the record for the most retweets on Twitter - more than two million.

The comic declared she wanted to break the record for the most retweeted photograph in history, featuring herself surrounded by the front row talent - and best supporting actress winner Lupita Nyong'o's brother.

She broke the record within the hour, and in doing so, broke Twitter's servers too.

Twitter said that 14.7 million Oscar-related tweets were sent worldwide during the telecast.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

I found it to be an thoroughly entertaining ceremony, even though it had the usual unevenness of interest for the uninitiated viewer.

I read somewhere today that they instituted a "ban" on playing off thank-you speeches that went on too long.

I didn't notice on the day, but come to think of it, that was probably part of why I enjoyed myself so much.