Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Entertainment News #8 ~ Everything Has Beauty, But Not Everyone Sees It

Banner by 4N6 DNA
Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebobsh (View Post)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
Rowdy Roddy Piper does not ring a bell for me, but it sounds very close to the name of the guy who used to do the "Come on down" stuff on The Price is Right, no?

The truth is, much as I don't think very much of Justin Bieber (by which I mean that he literally occupies zero percent of my time), the "real" charges here aren't very much.

The drag racing has apparently been debunked, so we're left with being drunk, possibly being high, and certainly assaulting a limo driver.

These are all honest charges and I don't mean to minimize them.

I'm just saying no one's been seriously hurt yet.

Which means this could just be the little twerp's attempt at getting himself an "adult" image. You know, Miley twerks, Justin... becomes a low-life.

Wasn't the price is right announcer's name johnny or something? I haven't seen that show in so long (though my mom was on two episodes...just in the audience, she didn't get called).

I think a new title to this thread could be, "Celebrities: Love em, Hate em, Talk All About em"
As it turns out, his name was Robert Ray "Rod" Roddy.

So I wasn't that far off.

I went with a quote from Confucius for the title. Hope everyone likes it.

We can always change it, of course. But I really like that quote.

To me, it speaks about how subjective entertainment is.

For instance, nothing bores me more than celebrity gossip. But others love that.

On that note:

Quote:
White House preparing response to petition calling for Bieber's deportation

The White House is preparing its response to a petition calling for the deportation of Canadian pop star Justin Bieber.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Friday that a response to the online petition is on its way.

The petition, created on Jan. 23 on the White House's "We The People" website, calls on U.S. authorities to deport Bieber and revoke his green card. It claims that Bieber is endangering public safety and calls the star "dangerous, reckless, destructive and drug abusing."

Carney said Friday that on matters related to visas, it would be better to consult with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

As of Friday afternoon, the petition had collected over 200,000 signatures. The White House is required to issue a response to submitted petitions that reach over 100,000 signatures.

The petition was created shortly after Bieber was arrested in Miami last week for allegedly drag racing and driving under the influence. Bieber has pleaded not guilty to charges of driving under the influence, resisting police without violence and driving with an expired licence.

On Wednesday, Bieber was in Toronto to face charges in connection with an alleged altercation with a limo driver last December. In a statement issued after he left police headquarters, Bieber's lawyers said that the pop star is innocent.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

That's too funny on Bieber....that was very close on the name....and I love the new title!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Some sad news today. Phillip Seymour Hoffman has died because of an apparent overdose in New York. His family has my condolences. Which are your favorite films he was in? I haven't seen most of them. My faves though are ''The Big Lebowski'' & ''Boogie Nights''.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Total Fan

Thanks for the new thread and love the title!

Just out of curiosity though, how can it be that Bieber's driver licence has already expired at his age?
Old 02-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sources: Philip Seymour Hoffman dead of apparent drug overdose - CNN.com

Quote:
(CNN) -- Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead of an apparent drug overdose in his Manhattan apartment, law enforcement sources said Sunday.
Police said Hoffman, 46, was found on the bathroom floor and pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators found two bags of what is believed to be heroin inside the fourth-floor apartment, law enforcement officials said.

Police are investigating to determine whether anyone was with the actor when he died, the officials said.

"We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving," Hoffman's family said in a statement. "Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."

Hoffman was last seen alive at 8 p.m. Saturday, a law enforcement official said. He was expected to get his kids on Sunday, but didn't show up, the official said. Playwright David Katz and another person went to the apartment and found him dead, the official said.\

A needle was in the actor's left arm, and eight empty glassine-type bags that usually contain heroin were found in the apartment, law enforcement sources told CNN.
The bags were stamped with "Ace of Hearts" and "Ace of Spades" -- street names for the heroin, the sources said.
An autopsy will be conducte
d on Hoffman's body Monday, said Julie Blocker, a spokeswoman for New York City's Office of Chief Medical Examiner.

Hoffman won an Academy Award for best actor for the 2005 biopic "Capote."
He was a beefy 5-foot-10-inch man, but was convincing as the slight, 5-foot-3-inch Truman Capote. He had a booming voice like a deity's but often played shlubby, conflicted characters.
He could be heartfelt and giving, as with his male nurse in "Magnolia" or rock critic in "Almost Famous," or creepily Machiavellian, like the gamemaster in the latest "Hunger Games" movie or a "Mission: Impossible" movie villain.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I'm very upset to see a great actor go, so RIP to him. However, in case of drug overdoses, I'm very calloused on it (as a recovering heroin addict). I've buried enough best friends to know that it's not sad when someone wants to die (using drugs only leads to one thing). The saddest part is that no one loved him enough to get him help. I'm fortunate enough to have that and that's why i'm here now.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Christina I don't have a driver's licence and have never had one, but I'm guessing Bieber's must have been tied to his U.S. visa...

And if you're not talking about a U.S. licence, then it must just be that thing where you have to pay every year to keep your insurance/licence valid. At least, I think that's how that works here in Quebec.

Matt Logan Thanks for posting an actual article regarding the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman. I appreciate not having to look for one myself.

Matt You don't know that his loved ones didn't try to get him help.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, people can try to find help for addicts, until an addict decides to help themselves, there's not much anyone else can do.

Of course, as a recovering addict yourself, you'll have a perspective on this tragic death that I can't have.

canflam To answer your question, my favourite Philip Seymour Hoffman movie is probably Scent of a Woman.

I am a very nostalgic person.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

My favorite role of his was Red Dragon and Capote.

Drug users can have people try to help and it is their ultimate decision...will power is something not everyone has the ability to harness. I made a decision I didn't want to die and that lit a fire under my ass. I guess when you're a millionaire, worries like that don't come to your head. he was a good person and a good actor and will be missed
Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well he had drug issues before, but was clean for 23 years. As far as I know this is an accidental death.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Some rather impressive stars have come out to pay tribute to Mr Hoffman.

I didn't know he had children. This must be really tragic for them.

And, indeed, canflam, this is what I learned from Cory Monteith's death: Apparently, when a recoveing heroin addict relapses, he's (or she's) more likely to overdose simply because their body isn't used to it any more.

Mind you, I should expect that most drug overdoses are accidental.

At the same time, there's a pattern of behaviour in which death is a possible outcome. Sure, it's probably not the intended goal, but it's like playing Russian roulette.

Sooner or later, you're going to die.

Which, I repeat, doesn't make any of this any less sad or tragic.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well any Od is considered accidental ... Police reports have over 20 bags that had heroin resadue or the drug in them . One noted person who deals with addicts said the medication in his condo was for a person getting off the drug . That a lot of OD's happen when somebody has been off the drug for a awhile then starts using ,the tolernace level is vey low .

i will never judge a man i do not know except from the big screen . Those who knew him are hurting . i feel for his family his friends who knew what a great talent his was .

do not know or have ever known anyone i knew as a friend who had a addiction , So i have no idea how bad it can get .. I do know heroin is the hardest drug habbit to kick .. add in he had more then enough $$$$ to support the habbit ..

sad to lose another entertainer, who had so mudh more to give us.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
One noted person who deals with addicts said the medication in his condo was for a person getting off the drug . That a lot of OD's happen when somebody has been off the drug for a awhile then starts using ,the tolernace level is vey low .
Yes, that does sound like what I was saying.

And I don't think it's judging him than to say that with drug use comes an increase in the odds that you will die of an overdose.

I have zero judgment in my heart and mind for Mr Hoffman or, indeed, for any other addict.

We all have our crosses to bear, and I'm certainly not exempt.

But just like smoking increases your chances of developing lung cancer, so does using drugs increases your chances of getting an overdose.

Like I said, I'm sure no one's trying to kill themselves. And far be it from me to rewrite police reports.

I'm just saying there are things in life that seem far more "accidental" to me.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I did heroin, and others, for 7 and a half years. I kicked it almost 10 years ago and still to this day struggle with it. I found myself last year in a ball on the floor crying, begging my wife to kill me. It's a never ending struggle. But, I have strong will power and a great support system in my wife so was able to kick the horrid habit. It's so easy to want to go over. I had to cut almost all my friends out of my life as they were enablers. Now, I drink maybe three times a year and have to have a cigarette to help with the edge.

I have such a heavy heart for all drug users and seeing one succumb to their addiction is a sad time. It is the wish, though, from time to time to die (I had a friend who purposely OD'd this thanksgiving). I've buried more close friends than I can count so consider myself lucky. Sadly, it takes that to realize what we're doing. Now I have better things to get me high like talking politics on twitter and here and listening to music nonstop. Never ending therapy.

I met Phillip Seymour Hoffman when he came to Detroit about 7 years ago when I actually was part of the movie industry. Only talked for about 2 minutes but he was a lovely man and very polite. Most drug addicts are A holes. I'll miss him dearly.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Total Fan

Kudos, Matt!

Drug addiction's certainly something no one who hasn't experienced it first hand will ever be able to adequately judge, which includes me.

Therefore my heart goes out to his family, especially his kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebobsh (View Post)
Sadly, it takes that to realize what we're doing. Now I have better things to get me high like talking politics on twitter and here and listening to music nonstop.
Hopefully you'll file posting on here under 'better things' as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
Christina I don't have a driver's licence and have never had one, but I'm guessing Bieber's must have been tied to his U.S. visa...

And if you're not talking about a U.S. licence, then it must just be that thing where you have to pay every year to keep your insurance/licence valid. At least, I think that's how that works here in Quebec.
Thanks, Sunny. That makes perfect sense.

I was just asking because in Austria, licences don't usually expire at all as far as I know.