Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2023, 12:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Ooh wasn't expecting all that info Thanks. I did not know that. I'm not a horror fan but I obviously watched Tom in the 2005 remake of The Fog. A lot of people pan the film as being one of the worst remakes ever and even Tom hates it himself, he's mentioned a few times that out of all the roles he has done so far The Fog is one he does not recommend. Bless him. But given I'm not much of a horror fan I actually like it But then I guess that's more for obvious reasons that it actually being a good film.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by livstevi21 (View Post)
Ooh wasn't expecting all that info Thanks. I did not know that. I'm not a horror fan but I obviously watched Tom in the 2005 remake of The Fog. A lot of people pan the film as being one of the worst remakes ever and even Tom hates it himself, he's mentioned a few times that out of all the roles he has done so far The Fog is one he does not recommend. Bless him. But given I'm not much of a horror fan I actually like it But then I guess that's more for obvious reasons that it actually being a good film.

You're welcome.

Oh, so you watched the 2005 remake of The Fog but not the original? John Carpenter's 1980 original is a classic horror film. Yes, I can attest that the 2005 remake is one of the worst remakes ever, and really shouldn't have been made. I'm glad Tom agrees. But again, you cannot remake John Carpenter films. It just doesn't work.

Oh, okay. I guess you like it because Tom is in it. But let me show you the trailer for the original 1980 John Carpenter film:

Old 08-12-2023, 11:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I mean, I would never have heard of the original had I not known about Tom being in the 2005 remake. So there's that Again I'm not a horror fan at all. I like the odd scare factor to a film/show, but nothing too gory or psychological. Originals are 99% always better than remakes. But wasn't John Carpenter a producer for the remake? So he was partly responsible for the remake of his own film lol. That trailer is very 80s

It's funny 'cause Tom mentioned about The Fog at a panel at the Ecuador comic con last weekend, (which I watched yesterday) he was asked about what it's like working alongside special effects and CGI and he talked about the effects on The Fog.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes, John Carpenter and Debra Hill, who both co-wrote Halloween and The Fog, were producers on the 2005 remake, so he does have himself to blame as well.

Well, I always loved horror films and I was also terrified of them. But with John Carpenter it was always because he had a unique style to his films, both the horror films and the sci-fi/adventure films he made. He specialized in both.

Hey, the 80s were the golden age of horror films.

Oh, he did? That's cool. GCI effects don't have the same impact as practical effects in horror films, I'm afraid.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

He does. Though, I'm not complaining, 'cause asides from the two Cheaper By the Dozen films, The Fog was his biggest film role up till now (I think Deep Six will overtake that now when it comes out).

Plus, there's this scene and that shower scene.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, I still wish he hadn't done The Fog. If he was going to do a remake of a John Carpenter film, I wish it had been Escape From New York.

Yes, I can see why you'd like those scenes.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I expect Tom probably would tell you the same, that he wished he hadn't done it. But I imagine he enjoyed working with the effects since he had recently mentioned about it, and the cast he was with. Also, he filmed The Fog just three weeks into filming season 4 of Smallville. He also filmed Cheaper By the Dozen 2 in that same year. You can probably imagine how exhausted he must have been, given he was filming all the time on Smallville and yet somehow managed to squeeze in filming two films as well. And in 2003 he filmed the first CBTD in between filming season 2 of Smallville.

hehe. Selma Blair once said in an interview for The Fog that next to her husband, Tom was the most gorgeous man she'd ever met.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, again, I could've told Tom to never under any circumstances remake a John Carpenter film, because it's just too difficult to do.

I never saw the Cheaper By the Dozen movies. I wish I had.

OMG, Selma said that? I'm glad she also mentioned her husband.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I guess it would have saved him a bit of time to just relax and take a bit of a break. But then, we'd have one less role to talk about and that would have meant less posts.

I imagine he probably learnt a lot from doing something like The Fog, and that is to never be involved in remaking a horror film again. But maybe you could've told John Carpenter himself to never attempt to remake any of his films.

Well, Cheaper By the Dozen was a remake too, of a film from 1950, itself an adaptation of the book of the same name (and it had it's own sequel) lol. I've never seen that one, but the 2003 film and it's sequel is a lot of fun. Tom's main reason for being in that and the sequel was getting to work with Steve Martin.

Yep! It's been a while since I've been able to watch that video, since it's no longer on youtube, but I specifically remember her saying that. And it's true. I don't think there's anyone that has worked with Tom who hasn't mentioned how gorgeous/good looking he is.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Well, we can't have less posts, now can we?

Well, Carpenter doesn't mind the money he makes from people trying to remake his films. If it's a film he also wrote as well as directed, he gets royalties. But yeah, he should know better. Not all horror remakes are bad. There have been a few good ones. But you can't remake a John Carpenter film.

Ah, well you can remake old films from the 1950s depending on the movie. John Carpenter himself remade The Thing from 1951. I didn't know that Cheaper by the Dozen was a remake.

Well, I do hope that Tom learned something from his experience, although I'd have advised him to do something else.

Well, I'm glad that Selma had something nice to say about her experience making The Fog.
Old 08-19-2023, 11:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Nope.

There are a few exceptions with remakes, and there are surprisingly some remakes that are good, but the majority are terrible (and I'm talking film in general).

Different experiences, good and bad, shape us into who we are.

Though, she only had that one scene with him
Old 08-20-2023, 09:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes, I agree. I can only think of a handful of remakes that were truly great. Heaven Can Wait (a remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan), John Carpenter's The Thing (a remake of The Thing From Another World), David Cronenberg's remake of The Fly, Martin Scorsese's remake of Cape Fear, Alfred Hitchcock's remake of his own movie The Man Who Knew Too Much, the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the 1988 remake of The Blob, and that's really all I can think of.

Yes, they certainly do.

Only one scene? That makes sense. In the original 1980 movie, Stevie Wayne and Nick Castle had no scenes together. They only spoke on the telephone once.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

So those are good remakes of horror movies. What about the rest of film?

Ah, that would make sense.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

What about the rest? Those are the only good ones I can think of.

Yeah, Stevie Wayne is in her lighthouse radio station for most of the movie.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

There are some good remakes that aren't horror, surely? I can think of a few. But i won't go too off topic.

Thanks for the videos!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread