Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sports: #13: Bright gave everything to County:Football, basketball~We talk all sports

Soccer

In the World of soccer a tournament called The Confederations Cup (June 14-28) will be held in South Africa. It will be like a mini-world cup. The U.S. is playing Italy on Monday.
I am not hopeful that we will win....not the way we have been playing lately, and not the way the U.S. coach has been coaching and selecting players.
It will be interesting to watch none the less. I think that Brazil is another team in our group. We're definitely not playing shabby teams....it will be good experience for us to see how bad we really are!
Spain is the favorite.....(with Liverpool's Torres a major star.) Hi, Matty.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 06-10-2009 at 11:11 AM
Old 06-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Master Fan

When is the actual World Cup playing? Because I thought that was in South Africa too, although maybe I was confusing it with this tournament.

Thanks for the new thread, by the way. Very nice title. I swear, this is the hardest thread to come up for one for!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 06-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
When is the actual World Cup playing? Because I thought that was in South Africa too, although maybe I was confusing it with this tournament.

Thanks for the new thread, by the way. Very nice title. I swear, this is the hardest thread to come up for one for!
You have to say it is a nice title....it was the only one that was suggested!

Yes, the World Cup is in South Africa. I believe that it's next year (June?)

This cup (Confederation) is also being played in South Africa. I don't know if it's always done that way (Confederation and world cup played in the same country). We need a real soccer expert to explain it to us.

ETA: A little explanation:

Quote:
Confederations Cup 2009

Since 1997, the Confederations Cup (in its current format) has pitted the top ranked teams in each federation against each other in a tournament that is more than just a test of World Cup facilities.

The competition is contested by the winners of each of the six FIFA confederation championships (CAF, CONMEBOL, UEFA, AFC, OFC, CONCACAF), along with the FIFA World Cup winner (Italy), and the host country (South Africa.)

And this year should see a thrilling contest. With the likes of current champions Brazil, Italy and Spain involved there is bound to be a good standard of football, while the U.S, Iraq and Egypt could spring a few surprises.

Host nation South Africa and minnows New Zealand are unlikely to make waves but, in the build up to the 2010 World Cup, all the teams will be keen to set down markers for their potential success next summer.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 06-10-2009 at 05:46 PM
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

There was an offer of 80 million pounds for this man!

1 British pound = 1.6422 U.S. dollars

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 06-11-2009 at 08:15 PM
Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Master Fan

My dad couldn't believe that offer. He was just...amazed, hee. Flabbergasted is more like it.

And the Lakers won again. Apparently another exciting game? Sounds like a great finals, even if it does end up to be 4-1 or something fairly lop-sided. The scores have been close. Well, in the last three games anyway. I didn't watch tonight's either, but my friend who I was out with is Turkish, so he's going for Orlando because they have a Turkish player. I hope he doesn't see the score, heh.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Master Fan

Yep, another overtime game. Exciting, close games are fun as long as the outcome is what I desire, heh.

Hedo Turkoglu! He actually played for the Spurs for a year, back in 2003-4. He was the leading scorer for the Magic tonight, so your friend can take solace in that, at least. Though not so much in the fact that he missed some pivotal free throws, but he doesn't need to know that (Dwight Howard did it, too. Heck, Kobe and Pau missed all their free throws in the Laker loss in Game 3). Did your friend also root for the Utah Jazz? They have the NBA's other Turk, Mehmet Okur. (And they, er, also lost to the Lakers.)

Orlando can win Game 5. Then it's not quite so lopsided, but the Lakers still have the series lead, and after that they can go back to LA and the Lakers can win the championship in Game 6 at home, hee.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Master Fan

Hee, apparently the Lakers are the Turk Destroyers.

Quote:
Orlando can win Game 5. Then it's not quite so lopsided, but the Lakers still have the series lead, and after that they can go back to LA and the Lakers can win the championship in Game 6 at home, hee.
They could also pass by Texas and allow you to see the trophy? Or rings? Or whatever the NBA gives out, hee. Both, I guess.

A little more than an hour until only the 15th Game 7 for the Stanley Cup in NHL history (which goes back a while, heh). Road teams winning that game 7 in any sport is extremely rare (it goes back at least thirty years from what I remember hearing). So, it could be quite a historic night, or it could go exactly the way history has gone before.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Master Fan

Thinking about it, poor Hedo alone has had a rough career of it against the Lakers -- he started off in Sacramento in the early part of the decade and lost in the Western Conference Finals to LA, in a series that I believe went to seven games and came down to a miraculous shot from the Lakers; when he was with the Spurs, they lost in the second round to the Lakers in really painful fashion (four straight losses, after going up 2-0, and one of those losses came down to yet another miracle shot from the Lakers); and now this. So, I'm thinking Turkoglu's not a huge fan of the Lakers, hee.

Enjoy your game! Should I be hoping for a Detroit victory?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Master Fan

Hee, maybe Turkoglu (which is an awesome last name, by the way) should join the Lakers so that he can no longer be beat by them. Of course, I have no idea if he's any good. He's tall, but (1) it's the NBA, that isn't saying much, hee and (2) everyone is tall according to me.

Quote:
Enjoy your game! Should I be hoping for a Detroit victory?
Aye. I'm sure the NHL isn't, though, heh. The Pens have TWO of the NHL's major young stars.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Master Fan

Well, there goes that, hee. Nah, I'm happy as I can be with the team I was rooting for losing. Great third period, but once again, Detroit came on too late. You can't do that. They made it exciting, but Pittsburgh was the better team tonight.

And now we have history. Youngest captain in the history of the NHL to hoist that cup and the first time in a long time that a road team wins game 7. I'm sure we'll all be saturated with Crosby commercial after Crosby commercial. Luckily, though, Crosby is a great player and he's a good kid. He deserves it. And the Pens did tonight.

What will Lidstrom do without his fifth cup? What, I ask you? Won't someone think of poor Lidstrom?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Master Fan

Aw, I'm sorry, 'Tos. But, history being made, that's always interesting.

That being said, I don't need Orlando to make history by being the first team to win an NBA championship after being down 3-1 in the Finals. Just making that clear.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Master Fan

Yeah. Nice celebration, though. There is one player, Hossa, that if you're a Detroit fan you have to feel for, but if you're a Pens fan, you have to laugh at. He played for Pittsburgh last year when they lost to Detroit in the finals, and he took less money to come to Detroit thinking he'd win a cup with them and...he ended up losing to the team he left and gets to watch the other team lost the cup for the second year in a row, hee.

Quote:
That being said, I don't need Orlando to make history by being the first team to win an NBA championship after being down 3-1 in the Finals. Just making that clear.
Heh, that's for sure. Any history-making opportunities if the Lakers win? Like, most Turks defeated in franchise history?

ETA: Another history making feature of tonight: Malkin winning the Conn Smythe Trophy (MVP of the playoffs). That's the first Russian to ever win that trophy. Last year had the first European captain to win to lead a team to the Stanley Cup, and now this. There's some stodgy, old white guys up here who don't think Europeans are anything and this is a "Canadian game" and it's all a bunch of BS, so I'm glad that they've been proven wrong two years in a row.

Last edited by 'Tos; 06-12-2009 at 09:09 PM
Old 06-13-2009, 12:22 AM
buffyannAlex

Penguins !!!

I love MY MICHY and I only DO Penguins!

Last edited by jediwands; 06-23-2021 at 01:16 PM

Old 06-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHIE
Penguins !!!

I Alex & the Pittsburgh Penguins !!!!!

Crosby, baby, playing all hurt.
Fleury is THE MAN.
Malkin is, well, the MVP DUDE.

Beautiful: Pittsburgh Penguins -- 2009 Stanley Cup Champions!!

Last edited by jediwands; 06-13-2009 at 12:51 AM
Old 06-13-2009, 05:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

OH My God!!!!! I woke up to a beautiful sight! Michelle and Alex's names on our board. Hi!!!!!!

Huge congrats on your Penguins, Michelle

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 06-13-2009 at 05:31 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread