Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2022, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Season One's Episode 20 - A Sadly Prophetic Episode

Hi everyone. I think that most of us can agree that Season One’s Episode 20 was one of the best and most emotionally powerful episodes of Everwood we ever saw, and it had a surprising twist as one doctor, Andy Brown, who had been looked on as a progressive and liberal outsider from New York couldn’t bring himself to terminate a pregnancy, and another doctor, Harold Abbott, who had been seen as a mostly unfeeling and Ultra-Conservative traditional small-town doctor was willing to do something that went against his religion and his basic moral code to fulfill a promise that he had made long ago to his deceased father.

One scene in this episode really struck home for me, and now, thanks to the disturbing revelation that the United States Supreme Court is set to overturn Roe vs. Wade, which was the case that made having an abortion legal in this country, I fear that we may be returning to the harrowing scenario that Harold described in this episode:

Quote:
Well, it's an impossible dilemma. No right answer. My father lived through the times when women either couldn't get abortions or had to go out of state, out of country...get some botched attempt, try to do it themselves. Oh, he would tell me stores of women coming to him cut, bruised, infected, traumatized, sterile...worse. He said that every town had a secret life, that there was someone in every community who knew people who knew would help. And in this town, that person was my father. So, when I came here to join his practice, he told me that it would be on one condition. That he never wanted those horrific things to happen to women again. Not on his watch, and not on mine.
The scenario that Harold described, which was what life was like for women before Roe vs. Wade became the law of the land, sends chills through me, and since then, in many Republican controlled states across the country including my state, it has become illegal or at the very least very difficult for women to be able to terminate their pregnancies in a legal and safe way, and now with the prospect of Conservative Republican appointed Supreme Court Justices getting ready to overturn Roe vs. Wade, I fear that the horrific cases that Harold’s father saw will be back again, and needless numbers of women may suffer and even die due to the desires of the so-called “Pro-Life” Right-Wing faction of the Republican Party.

What’s ironic and infuriating about the “Pro-Life” Republicans is that if they force women to bring an unwanted child into this world, they’ll do nothing to help that woman or that child, and if those women put those babies up for adoption, the chances are is that many of them will be shuffled through an overloaded foster care system where more and more children are put into untenable and unsafe situations.

Here's an article about how overwhelmed the foster care system is right now:

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/...opiate-crisis/

The thing is, as always, refusing women the right to have a safe and legal abortion will affect poor and disenfranchised women the most, especially those in minority communities, because those women wouldn’t be able to afford to fly to another state where abortion will still be legal, so everything about this decision smacks of racism and misogyny and it really disheartens me.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Wow, Jerry, this is so perfectly stated and I’m amazed you connected this episode to the current nightmarish situation we have going on in this country. Harold’s words are bang on and a classic example of what could potentially happen once again in this country thanks to the Republican Party. I wonder if Berlanti remembers this episode right now given the state of the country.

It doesn’t surprise me that Everwood would have created an episode that perfectly describes what is going on in real life right now. I also find it amazing that the character of Harold given his political and religious beliefs would be the one quoting those words from the clinic and being disturbed by it as well.

What I think some fail to realize is you can be pro-choice and still not necessarily love the idea of abortion. You can still be pro-women and against treating women like second-class citizens and still have your own personal views on abortion. That is precisely what Harold was saying.

What’s disturbing is how Republicans just don’t get it. They hide behind religion and fake not being misogynistic as well. They even have the nerve to state incest and rape still means if you get an abortion and get caught you will be thrown in prison. I’ve never in a million years thought it would come to this even if there were sprinkles of hints for years throughout the party. Republicans do not care or respect women and I’ll state that to anyone who thinks otherwise. It is sickening and vile.

But I am not surprised Berlanti’s Everwood touched upon this very subject decades ago. Only Everwood.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-14-2022 at 06:05 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I put a link to this new thread in the Board Guide.

Thanks for this wonderful topic discussion thread, Jerry!
Old 05-14-2022, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Thanks Michelle! This issue really strikes a nerve in me, and I'm horrified at the thought of women having to resort to illegal and dangerous ways to terminate their pregnancies if what we're hearing may happen actually does happen.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-14-2022, 10:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Thanks Michelle! This issue really strikes a nerve in me, and I'm horrified at the thought of women having to resort to illegal and dangerous ways to terminate their pregnancies if what we're hearing may happen actually does happen.
You're welcome.

I agree, Jerry. What a terrible moment in time. I can hardly understand how anyone for what the SCOTUS majority wants to do cannot comprehend that abortions are going to happen regardless. They will never stop. What will happen is illegal and dangerous termination of pregnancies which puts endless lives at risk. What makes it even more ridiculous is knowing that thankfully there will always be Blue States willing to help out these women. Problem is some women in other states might not have the means to get to states that can give them proper medical care. It is such a nightmare.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I just cannot get over that quote from Harold talking to Andy. I cannot believe how accurate it is in the present! It is eerie.

Especially this part: My father lived through the times when women either couldn't get abortions or had to go out of state, out of country...get some botched attempt, try to do it themselves.

That is just incredible. It truly is like Berlanti predicted the future somehow and understood Everwood was going to remind the audience of past American history and how it will eventually be revisited once again.

How did you even remember this was stated in the episode, Jerry? I cannot get over your ability to connect the dots!
Old 05-15-2022, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
I just cannot get over that quote from Harold talking to Andy. I cannot believe how accurate it is in the present! It is eerie.

Especially this part: My father lived through the times when women either couldn't get abortions or had to go out of state, out of country...get some botched attempt, try to do it themselves.

That is just incredible. It truly is like Berlanti predicted the future somehow and understood Everwood was going to remind the audience of past American history and how it will eventually be revisited once again.

How did you even remember this was stated in the episode, Jerry? I cannot get over your ability to connect the dots!
Well, ever since the news came out about Roe vs. Wade coming out, I immediately thought of Episode 20 and what Harold said, so when I wrote this topic last night I went back to the transcript of that episode and I found that quote.

I'm chatting with a friend of mine from High School on Facebook right now about this topic and she said that her mother was the head nurse in the 1950's at Margaret Hague Hospital in Jersey City, which was a maternity hospital, and she said that her mother relayed horror stories of women coming in septic from back-alley abortions as they called them. She said that many of those women died, so her mother knew first-hand what could happen with women who had back-alley abortions, and that's what I fear will happen again if Roe vs. Wade is overturned.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Well, ever since the news came out about Roe vs. Wade coming out, I immediately thought of Episode 20 and what Harold said, so when I wrote this topic last night I went back to the transcript of that episode and I found that quote.

Quote:
I'm chatting with a friend of mine from High School on Facebook right now about this topic and she said that her mother was the head nurse in the 1950's at Margaret Hague Hospital in Jersey City, which was a maternity hospital, and she said that her mother relayed horror stories of women coming in septic from back-alley abortions as they called them. She said that many of those women died, so her mother knew first-hand what could happen with women who had back-alley abortions, and that's what I fear will happen again if Roe vs. Wade is overturned.
That is so heartbreaking. Your friend must be so emotional right now thinking about what her mother shared about the past, now present, and possible future revisiting those nightmarish times.

I almost feel like we are all enduring some long nightmare and any minute now we are going to wake up and realize it wasn't real. But... that will never happen.

I am hoping this backfires on the Republican Party and the country turns even more Blue. We need to. It is our only choice.

How a monster like Trump was elected in the first place is a shock in itself, but to realize he is the reason why SCOTUS is trying to do this to the country... it is like his darkness will continue to fester and affect the country without any light ending this tornado that refuses to vanish for good.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

When Andy and Ephram go to NYC in S3, that is literally Treat and Greg in NYC. They even go into Trump Tower. It felt eerie watching this knowing what happens in 2016 in this country. I feel like Everwood was psychic almost. Of course Trump Tower would highlight one of the darkest days for father/son. LOL.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

This is such a great thread, Jerry.

Given the state of our country this topic is always on my mind and this episode is just an amazing piece of foreshadowing almost...

It truly is like Everwood was psychic and knew somehow this weird situation was going to be front and center in the future.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
This is such a great thread, Jerry.

Given the state of our country this topic is always on my mind and this episode is just an amazing piece of foreshadowing almost...

It truly is like Everwood was psychic and knew somehow this weird situation was going to be front and center in the future.
Thanks Michelle. It's so sad and disheartening that this episode was psychic because I never would have dreamed that we'd go back to the times that Harold described so eloquently. That episode also marked a turning point in Harold and Andy's relationship as the "Pinko Liberal" Doctor from New York couldn't perform an adoption while the Conservative small-town doctor could.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Thanks Michelle. It's so sad and disheartening that this episode was psychic because I never would have dreamed that we'd go back to the times that Harold described so eloquently. That episode also marked a turning point in Harold and Andy's relationship as the "Pinko Liberal" Doctor from New York couldn't perform an adoption while the Conservative small-town doctor could.
100%. I love how Everwood demonstrated that it is never that simple.

We always say there’s a magic to Everwood. So many moments demonstrated this magic… the Ferris Wheel, snow, etc. This series has something unique that is indescribable because while it showed many grounded, realistic storylines, there’s also a cosmic touch that makes it so special.
Reply   Post New Thread