Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Master Fan

Betty, Mad Men just seems to be one of those things that you love or hate for whatever reason. On the superficial level, I just love the look and sound of the show, but beyond that, there's something I really admire about the way the stories are being told, with everything single element having some sort of meaning to it. And while I don't necessarily like most of the characters, I do find the majority of them compelling (Don, in particular), and in some cases weirdly sympathetic (Peggy and Pete fall into this category for me, as does Betty most of the time, though not in the second season finale, when I lost just about all respect for her). 'Tos can surely offer a better explanation of his affection for the show than I just did of mine, heh.

Blah, FF won't let me edit anything tonight, so consider this an addendum to my above post on music:

Quote:
"Books Written for Girls" was one of my faves too. What's with songs that have the word "book" in the title being good? Hee.
Hee, I've actually been assembling a playlist of love songs that feature "book" or something about writing in the title or the lyrics. I've got that one as well as "Suspended from Class," "Wrapped Up In Books" and "Your Secrets" from B&S, this one called "Bookshop Casanova" by the Clientele...but I've gotten sort of stuck after that point, heh.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Master Fan

I can still edit my posts. What's going on? It isn't loading when you want to save, or it doesn't save when you edit? What''s happening when you try? Just out of curiousity's sake, because it's not like I can actually help, heh.

Mad Men

Quote:
'Tos can surely offer a better explanation of his affection for the show than I just did of mine, heh.
Oh thanks, heh. Put me on the spot.

You're definitely right about the pace, Betty. It is slow. And that's very different from most shows. It can be off-putting, and if you're expecting jam-packed and quick action, you'll never get it. It's really about the smaller moments. A lot of the episodes just have three or four amazing small moments for me. Like the first episode, when Don wouldn't shake Pete's hand, or when we found out this sexing, boozing, mystery of a man is a father and a husband. The episodes are full of small moments that I love, but there are generally three or four that the episode is built around. And it's not something you see on TV often, because they're not big moments that you expect episodes to be built around. It's different, and I can definitely understand not liking that.

Also, I love the acting. Jon Hamm as Don. Oh, he's incredible. John Slattery, I love him. Always makes me laugh. I really like the actress who plays Betty too, and I love everyone really and the writing and the acting really makes the show (well, I guess they make most shows don't they) even with the great look and sound, so, yeah. I find everyone really compelling and interesting characters, but you're right that nobody is admirable. I guess I find that realistic? People try, but they have a tough time being admirable in an environment like the advertising world.

This is hard to explain. It's probably my favourite on TV, but I don't think I would recommend it to anyone, personally.

ETA: And I'm glad you found something to like with The Shins, Thief. That is a good song, indeed. I would have never thought of recommending that one, hee. I'd consider it one of their weird ones, but they have a few of those and they're really good, just, uh, weird.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I can still edit my posts. What's going on? It isn't loading when you want to save, or it doesn't save when you edit? What''s happening when you try? Just out of curiousity's sake, because it's not like I can actually help, heh.
I can get into the edit function, but when I hit "save," it just freezes, and then I can't hit any other buttons on the page (like hitting "save" again, or "cancel" or anything), so I have to exit the page or refresh it. Very weird, it's nothing that's ever happened before.

Quote:
That is a good song, indeed. I would have never thought of recommending that one, hee. I'd consider it one of their weird ones, but they have a few of those and they're really good, just, uh, weird.
Heh. There's always a place in my heart for weird music, provided the instrumentation's pretty.

And...now the edit works. Well, that was a peculiar little interlude.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Master Fan

Mad Men

I just thought of another thing I really like, Betty. The Don Whitman mystery. Who this man is, why he changed his name, his life, everything. The desperation he has, the willingness he has to go run away again despite having a family and a good job and a life. It's a really well-played and compelling mystery. When his brother walks in, oh, it's so intriguing and Don is so vulnerable and scared and unsure of what to do (which Jon Hamm blows me away with) and then that whole story gets really sad and heartbreaking. Some of the stuff goes over my head ("Oh look, Don is sitting staring off into space again. WHY?"), but that one, I think that would be a good mystery story on any show, although this particular mystery is so strongly tied into Don's character development so in that way it's pretty unique to the show.

Have you heard anything else you liked from The Shins, Thief? I feel you on the indie music, that it's so overwhelming. I try my best, but I feel like I'm never going to get past just scratching the surface with it all.

Quote:
ETA:I am looking forward to new episodes of Brothers & Sisters, Gossip Girl, and Privileged this week.
Yay, new TV. Not only am I looking forward to my shows being back, it'll help get this thread going again. It has been good the last week, but I think it almost dropped to page two before that!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 01-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Have you heard anything else you liked from The Shins, Thief?
I have, in fact; I downloaded three songs from Oh, Inverted World today -- "One By One All Day," "Girl Inform Me," and "Girl on the Wing." I like their overall sound, but I do wish the guy had a slightly nicer voice, heh. But their songs are bouncy and kind of weird, so it's all good.

And, yeah, second you on the whole mystery of Don's identity and past. That, really, is more compelling to me than any of his regular activities in New York, because it's the very thing that drives all of those actions, and the thing that separates him from everyone around him.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
And, yeah, second you on the whole mystery of Don's identity and past. That, really, is more compelling to me than any of his regular activities in New York, because it's the very thing that drives all of those actions, and the thing that separates him from everyone around him.
Thief & Tos, If I don't care about a character, I'm not interested in his storyline. I find Don't rejection of his brother despicable. I don't believe that there is any reason to justify that. I know it is shallow thinking on my part, but I have negative feelings about Don and I really don't care why he did what he did.
*there's that cheesy side of me coming out again.*
Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

BROTHERS & SISTERS

Tom Amandes directs the episode and there is a total absence of EVC. How ironic is that?

One of the consistent themes in this show, and one which annoys me greatly, is the total inability of any Walker to keep their word. I don't find that endearing in the least, even between family members. Every time one of them is asked to swear they will keep a confidence it is rarely beyond the next scene before they break their oath. I could understand this sorry practice if great trauma was being avoided, or even if it was necessary to spare another family member some sort of pain. But that isn't nearly always the case. The word-breaking is usually used for comic effect. Like tonight: Justin was sworn to secrecy by Saul about Saul having a boyfriend, then he turns right around and tells Nora strictly as a way to divert her attention. Ha Ha, isn't that a riot? Of course after Nora is sworn to secrecy it takes almost no time for her to break her word merely out of curiosity about Saul. There was no substantive reason for either of them to betray confidences. It was just "cute" and "funny". I don't happen to believe this particular family-wide character flaw is a legitmate basis for comedy. And I don't buy any "families don't have secrets" justification. Of course they do.

I wish the writers could find some other verbal wordplay between the Walkers to convey "cute" and "funny". How about "Mom, the house is on fire", or "Justin, Kevin is having a heart attack". Ha Ha.

Sorry, I think I'm feeling a bit grumpy watching this show sink so fast. Note to the writers: leaving EVC out of an episode is not a way to rise above your recent mediocrity.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Master Fan

I've been continuing my catching up of a lot of TV this break and I was really amused that Sarah Drew was in episode 9 of this season's Private Practice and episode 9 of Privileged. Still catching up on Privileged, by the way. Just finished episode 10 and I don't have much planned for tomorrow so I imagine I'll be caught up in time for the new episode on Tuesday (though there is also a new episode of The Mentalist, another Tuesday @ 9 show that I caught up on during break).

Anywho, all that's left for my catch up now is the two episodes of Privileged and three episodes of Heroes. Then I'll be all caught up, so I can watch new episodes of shows that are coming off hiatus more or less live.

Oh, and, Betty, don't forget about Friday Night Lights returning to NBC on the 16th! (Apparently the season is over on DirecTV on the 14th.) I can't wait for your thoughts on season 3
I made my icon.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Master Fan

Brothers & Sisters

I have officially decided that I don't care about anyone else on this show except for Kevin. I disliked pretty much everyone else all episode, or just didn't care about them. I thought it was a decent episode, but it's tough for me to care anymore about what's going on, so luckily it was a Kevin-heavy episode. I really did like the part about him wanting to be a father, it was a nice conclusion to the episode. And I really loved the line about how Elizabeth has to stop drooling before she gets to boys "or girls". Sweet. I really really liked him all night, so I can't really complain too much about the episode, but in the episodes that don't feature him much, I will be extremely bored.

I didn't like having Rebecca missing either. I mean, this is about Justin moving out, trying to start finding out what he wants to be, and the most important part of his life right now isn't even a part of that decision at all? Not even mentioned as being part of helping him move on? Wha?

I also thought Sally Field overacted that scene with Saul where she's talking about her insecure self. That was way overboard from what the scene called for. I generally like Sally a lot, but that was brutal.

Favourite line of the night: Nora: "I'm not holding them hostage!" Scotty [in an extremely urgent tone]: "Kevin escaped! He left a note." Hee. Now that was cute and funny.

Quote:
Thief & Tos, If I don't care about a character, I'm not interested in his storyline. I find Don't rejection of his brother despicable. I don't believe that there is any reason to justify that. I know it is shallow thinking on my part, but I have negative feelings about Don and I really don't care why he did what he did.
*there's that cheesy side of me coming out again.*
Not at all, that's a very fair opinion. It's like Tommy on B&S while he was cheating. I didn't care about him ever, so him doing that for any reason, I don't care why he did it, it was just despicable.

I wouldn't force yourself to watch it if you don't like it, hee. It's really really not for everyone. As I said, I love it a lot, but I can't imagine recommending it to anybody.

Quote:
I've been continuing my catching up of a lot of TV this break and I was really amused that Sarah Drew was in episode 9 of this season's Private Practice and episode 9 of Privileged.
Hee, I never noticed that. Interestingly enough, despite not really enjoying the Private Practice episode I watched, I probably am looking forward to her more on that show that if she was to return to Privileged. I just think she'll have more to do on PP. It should be dramatic, and possibly flirty and cute and comedic too, so there's more potential for her to do more, and that's what I'm all about.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BepperGirl (View Post)

Oh, and, Betty, don't forget about Friday Night Lights returning to NBC on the 16th! (Apparently the season is over on DirecTV on the 14th.) I can't wait for your thoughts on season 3

Thank you so much for the reminder. I am really looking forward to watching season 3! I will definitely add my thoughts.

Quote:
Sorry, I think I'm feeling a bit grumpy watching this show sink so fast. Note to the writers: leaving EVC out of an episode is not a way to rise above your recent mediocrity.
One good thing about leaving out EVC is that there was no Rebecca/Justin interaction.

Yes, I agree about the betraying of trust. I wanted to scream at Nora while she was asking Saul about his boyfriend!

As You said Tos, there were a few really comedic moments and I found myself chuckling at times.
I also enjoyed all the Kevin scenes...and also all the Scotty scenes. I really love Scotty.

ETA: Does anyone else still watch Gossip Girl or is it just me watching tonight?

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 01-05-2009 at 05:32 PM
Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
ETA: Does anyone else still watch Gossip Girl or is it just me watching tonight?
You may be pleasantly surprised to find out that I watched it! I thought it was pretty good. Although the Rufus/Lily baby reveal was pretty anti-climatic. I know it has an effect on Dan/Serena, but they've been so on again, off again, and a lot of fans don't even like them, so it wasn't that huge.

It was pretty obvious that Chuck wasn't going to jump, so I found that a waste too.

STILL, Blair/Chuck are really sweet in their own way, aren't they? And I like the prospect of Lily/Rufus teaming up, although it reminds me of Brothers & Sisters' new sibling stories, but Lily/Rufus are great. Lots of funny lines that I can't remember. I haven't caught up completely, but I do know most of what went on, and with Chuck off until February, I can now watch it.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 AM
Master Fan

I still watch Gossip Girl also, I just haven't had the time to discuss just yet and I'm volunteering with the Girl Scouts today so hopefully I'll discuss with you all later!
I made my icon.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BepperGirl (View Post)
I still watch Gossip Girl also, I just haven't had the time to discuss just yet and I'm volunteering with the Girl Scouts today so hopefully I'll discuss with you all later!
Volunteering with the Girl Scouts....how terrific is that. See, Everwood fans are the best people.

Quote:
You may be pleasantly surprised to find out that I watched it! I thought it was pretty good. Although the Rufus/Lily baby reveal was pretty anti-climatic. I know it has an effect on Dan/Serena, but they've been so on again, off again, and a lot of fans don't even like them, so it wasn't that huge.
I'm glad to hear that you watched, Tos. You know, I really didn't enjoy this episode as much as the others. Dan and Serena are really getting on my nerves. Serena's coyness is becoming a bit much and I don't find myself rooting for them as much as I did.
I know it's just a show, but I can't get past the fact that a 17 year old (Chuck) is allowed to run free, hang out in burlesque clubs, drink as much as he wants.....where are the police? How is this allowed? I know that NYC is free....but not this free!
I gained more respect for Jenny last night. She finally showed integrity and wasn't just looking out for herself for a change.
Blair...I absolutely love her. She's my favorite character. Her love for Chuck is so deep.....just look at her facial expressions....they illustrate all of her feelings. She kind of reminds me of Ephram in that respect....such longing in her face. What a wonderful actress. Chuck better wise up and stop playing these games with Blair. He's going to lose her and that will make him even more miserable than he is now......if that's possible!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Master Fan

I get to thinks at such random times, I notice:

Quote:
I have, in fact; I downloaded three songs from Oh, Inverted World today -- "One By One All Day," "Girl Inform Me," and "Girl on the Wing." I like their overall sound, but I do wish the guy had a slightly nicer voice, heh. But their songs are bouncy and kind of weird, so it's all good.
Ooh, nice nice! Two of my favourites and a really good song too! And absolutely on his voice. To me, he just sounds very "indie". Nothing really all that unique about him. I can't think of any singers at the moment, heh, but he really does sound like eighteen other lead vocalists.

Gossip Girl

Quote:
I know it's just a show, but I can't get past the fact that a 17 year old (Chuck) is allowed to run free, hang out in burlesque clubs, drink as much as he wants.....where are the police? How is this allowed? I know that NYC is free....but not this free!
Yeah, this has always been so silly. I guess the show doesn't pride itself on being realistic, though, to say the least. That's probably the most obvious example, but you also have to wonder why parents keep sending their kids to this school that seemingly has eight scandals everyday, hee. I mean, it can't be the only super-prestigious school in New York of all places!

Quote:
Blair...I absolutely love her. She's my favorite character. Her love for Chuck is so deep.....just look at her facial expressions....they illustrate all of her feelings. She kind of reminds me of Ephram in that respect....such longing in her face. What a wonderful actress.
Oh, I know! Leighton Meester is the actress' name and she is so amazing. She can do anything. Sexy (which comes pretty naturally, heh), cute, scandalous, intimidating, completely vulnerable..just the whole gamut. My favourite character too. And great comparison to Greg's acting.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Volunteering with the Girl Scouts....how terrific is that. See, Everwood fans are the best people.
Yeah, I figured I might as well do something other than watch TV for the entirety of break

Privileged

Did everyone catch the obscure Everwood on tonight's episode? And awesome, new credits!
I made my icon.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread