Master Fan

Convington The end is amazing and so beautiful

Old 08-12-2012, 07:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Wow, thank you for posting that! ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by covington (View Post)
I finally finished the series. I have so many thoughts, but I don't know where to begin. I know its strange, but I loved the reunion even though I usually HATE when writers slap a couple together in the final minutes of the series finale. But, amy and ephram were different. I felt like they were practically a couple the whole season. You could feel the love that they both felt for each other. I did wanna slap that stephanie girl into the next century though. I just I laughed, I cried. It was beautiful. They are beautiful. I think once I let it sink, I'll have more to say on the matter.
Awe, I can't wait until you post your full thoughts!

You are so right about how Ephram/Amy were 'together' the entire season even without the official label. I often felt that way in seasons 1/2 even while they were battling through so much together and individually. They were always connected from day 1.

Their ending worked so perfectly because if anyone deserved that magical ending, it was this pairing. It worked so beautifully. I also loved how it went back to that Ferris Wheel, the very Ferris Wheel they were sitting on at Thaw Fest in season 1 when their amazing story first got started.

The scene always brings tears to my eyes, even now as I watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WLPjlaym1w

The emotion never leaves.

Looking forward to more of your thoughts!

Last edited by jediwands; 08-12-2012 at 07:14 AM
Old 08-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I love that scene, I love how she picked something from so early in the series. I really loved how their love story progressed and looking back with some time to digest, I still have no problem with the reunion. I've always been a stickler for interaction. The writers gave that to fans, but above all that you saw that they had worked through their issues before that point. I loved how they got their friendship back. They were a well done pairing. I wanted address koni's point about Ephram's pining in the early days. I had no problem with it because of the situation Amy was in. She had a boyfriend and then she lost that boyfriend. The pain of that loss was so deep and she was in a depression. As much as I felt bad for Ephram, she was a basket case and needed the time to heal. She needed a friend. As for Madison. All I have to say is ICK.

ETA: One of my favorite moments with them is when Ephram returns from ny.

I made a gifset

Last edited by ds44; 08-12-2012 at 04:14 PM
Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Master Fan

While I agree that Amy was a mess in Season 2 and she needed healing, I also think that it wasn't any more difficult for her than it was for Ephram to loose his mother. In fact I do think that it hurts far more when your mom dies when you are 16 years old. Which is why I actually saw Ephram's hurt far more than others.

So for me it wasn't so much about not admitting that it was difficult for Amy. That it was and although I couldn't stand Tommy (definitely had problem with that character ) I could see why she chose him. However that doesn't mean that Ephram should sit and wait for her all her life. There will be always some problem and he can't just wait for her forever. So it was good that he wanted to try something new. Was that the best thing for him - no. Was Madison my first choice - no. However I know that I would have been bored if I had to watch Season 1 all over again - Amy has problems and Ephram is just a friend.

And that scene is good (well aside my opinion about the hair ). Especially the coke straws reference .
Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
While I agree that Amy was a mess in Season 2 and she needed healing, I also think that it wasn't any more difficult for her than it was for Ephram to loose his mother. In fact I do think that it hurts far more when your mom dies when you are 16 years old. Which is why I actually saw Ephram's hurt far more than others.

So for me it wasn't so much about not admitting that it was difficult for Amy. That it was and although I couldn't stand Tommy (definitely had problem with that character ) I could see why she chose him. However that doesn't mean that Ephram should sit and wait for her all her life. There will be always some problem and he can't just wait for her forever. So it was good that he wanted to try something new. Was that the best thing for him - no. Was Madison my first choice - no. However I know that I would have been bored if I had to watch Season 1 all over again - Amy has problems and Ephram is just a friend.

And that scene is good (well aside my opinion about the hair ). Especially the coke straws reference .
I had no problem with Ephram finding someone else. I just felt like Madison neither deserved him nor was it an appropriate relationship. I suppose I would have felt differently if Ephram had met Amy when she was single. She was already in love with someone else. I felt like the madison story was really about evening the playing field. Amy had Colin, he had Madison. My problem was with the baby storyline and how he met Madison. I was never bothered by the idea that he needed to stop pining. Losing your mother is far worse than losing a boyfriend, but I also am not going to judge amy for it.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Master Fan

Well that story in Season 2 is one of the things where I don't judge Amy. I judge her (and dislike her) for other things, but not this one. My point was that both of them had struggles and difficult times. As sadly as it is to say I don't think that any of them had it easy.

Madison - well I didn't bother her that much (as some side fun, because well I don't think that Ephram loved her much). The pregnancy though was a bit off. I just found the whole thing totally unbelievable. I can't imagine 20 years old woman to have sex without protection. Ephram mentioned that they did it sometimes without condom and that's like I don't know not normal. If this was a first for Ephram, it definitely it wasn't for Madison. And I think that it takes two to tango - they both should have had protected themselves. However since Madison is older and more experienced, I blame her a bit more.

Over all the baby story line and the way Amy and Ephram were handled in Season 3 (even before the break up) was not the best thing the writers have done. In this regard I think that Season 4 was more consistent and the characters were in character.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Well that story in Season 2 is one of the things where I don't judge Amy. I judge her (and dislike her) for other things, but not this one. My point was that both of them had struggles and difficult times. As sadly as it is to say I don't think that any of them had it easy.

Madison - well I didn't bother her that much (as some side fun, because well I don't think that Ephram loved her much). The pregnancy though was a bit off. I just found the whole thing totally unbelievable. I can't imagine 20 years old woman to have sex without protection. Ephram mentioned that they did it sometimes without condom and that's like I don't know not normal. If this was a first for Ephram, it definitely it wasn't for Madison. And I think that it takes two to tango - they both should have had protected themselves. However since Madison is older and more experienced, I blame her a bit more.

Over all the baby story line and the way Amy and Ephram were handled in Season 3 (even before the break up) was not the best thing the writers have done. In this regard I think that Season 4 was more consistent and the characters were in character.
I don't know. I really enjoyed them as a couple in S3. The only ugh moment that got to me was Amy's stupid fit about him going to see Madison. I didn't like that she was punishing him and found her behaviour to be childish, but I always try to keep in mind the ages of the characters. She was 18 and really what 18 year behaves maturely all the time. It's why I love how ephram would be childish and bratty around Andy because it made him seem like a real teenager.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Master Fan

Well I wanted a bit more passion and more than hand holding. Tommy/Amy and Ephram/Madison had more such scenes than Amy/Ephram in Season 3.

I get why Amy was upset that Ephram lied to her about seeing Madison. I also think though that it was good that Ephram decided to be honest with her. What I didn't like her passive aggressive behavior after that because it was kind of confusing.

As for Ephram being bratty I actually think that sometimes he was right , because I never saw Andy as the great father. So for some things I thought that Epgram overreacted, for others I think that Andy was acting a bit stupid.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Well I wanted a bit more passion and more than hand holding. Tommy/Amy and Ephram/Madison had more such scenes than Amy/Ephram in Season 3.

I get why Amy was upset that Ephram lied to her about seeing Madison. I also think though that it was good that Ephram decided to be honest with her. What I didn't like her passive aggressive behavior after that because it was kind of confusing.

As for Ephram being bratty I actually think that sometimes he was right , because I never saw Andy as the great father. So for some things I thought that Epgram overreacted, for others I think that Andy was acting a bit stupid.
Oh definitely, Andy was learning to become a better father, but I was raised to be respectful of your parents whether they are right or wrong. So, his little fits were like tone it down dude, but it also made him seem more his age. I guess I've never been one to care that much about seeing a lot of passion in couples that I like. It was just not something that occurred to me.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Master Fan

I was raised the same way, but when someone is wrong is wrong and I would tell them so . I know that it shouldn't be this way, but it is for me. I think that the moment Julia died and Andy relied on Ephram to help him about Delia, the things become different. Ephram wasn't kid anymore and he had the right to call on his father. I also think that the whole moving out to Everwood is something that was done wrong. Andy should have cared a bit more about how Ephram was feeling and not only about him and he should have tried to explain him why he is doing what he is doing.

I think that Greg and Emily had great chemistry and I felt that it wasn't used in Season 3. They acted like 14 years old. I wanted to see more , but that's just me.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by covington (View Post)
I had no problem with it because of the situation Amy was in. She had a boyfriend and then she lost that boyfriend. The pain of that loss was so deep and she was in a depression. As much as I felt bad for Ephram, she was a basket case and needed the time to heal. She needed a friend. As for Madison. All I have to say is ICK.
LOL! I completely agree with you. I never, ever faulted Amy, not even for a second. Ephram knew how depressed and upset she was. He understood what was going on. He still wanted to be there for her. They developed a friendship while falling for each other romantically. It was a beautiful thing. What Amy went through was more than most girls her age should ever have to endure. I am honestly shocked she held up so nicely given the terrible circumstances surrounding her. The entire point was Ephram understood Amy's state and he was there for her, it was his choice and he was a terrific friend. The situation made their connection even stronger and that is the very reason why they maintained throughtout everything else they went through such as Ephram leaving for Europe and the beautiful way they found their way back to each other. That never would have happened without their friendship and strong emotional bond.

Ephram came to Everwood suffering the loss of his mother along with the strained relationship he had with Andy. Thing is, Ephram was not around Amy for Amy to openly talk to him about both issues. That was not Ephram's style. He healed the loss of his mother through his developing bond with Amy and helping her. He developed a stronger bond with Andy because of his dynamic with Amy. Ephram falling for Amy was how he got through his mother's death and his situation with Andy. They helped each other in different ways. Amy gave Ephram exactly what he needed during that time period.

Quote:
ETA: One of my favorite moments with them is when Ephram returns from ny.

I made a gifset
I love that! Well done! That scene is so awesome. It is one of my very favorite Ephram/Amy scenes.

Last edited by jediwands; 08-13-2012 at 03:26 AM
Old 08-13-2012, 03:56 AM
Master Fan

I'm actually not shocked about Amy. I'm more impressed by Ephram and how he held up after his mother's death than Amy's reaction to Colin's death. The first one is far more painful for me and I expected to see Ephram far more crushed than he was. However Amy reacted the way she needed it to be, so no problem there. The point is I don't see why Ephram should be single while she is dealing with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
Ephram came to Everwood suffering the loss of his mother along with the strained relationship he had with Andy. Thing is, Ephram was not around Amy for Amy to openly talk to him about both issues. That was not Ephram's style. He healed the loss of his mother through his developing bond with Amy and helping her. He developed a stronger bond with Andy because of his dynamic with Amy. Ephram falling for Amy was how he got through his mother's death and his situation with Andy. They helped each other in different ways. Amy gave Ephram exactly what he needed during that time period.
That's very interesting . See when I first watched Everwood (in the beginning of the year) I was constantly wondering why Amy relies on Ephram and talks about her problems with Colin over and over and over (till the point where she bored me) and Ephram never used the chance to talk to her about his coping with his mother's death. Then 2 months ago I stumbled up on some psychology stuff and I finally realized what means to be Introvert. Ephram was one, so that explains why he would want to be alone when he has problems and he won't want to talk about the problems with someone else. That explains why he wanted his private time in Season 3 too though.

The other thing I wondered is why Ephram tolerated Amy (well aside the fact that he found her hot which is kind of understandable). I saw it this way - he is a guy that had just lost his mother and he has problems enough, so why he bothers to hear about someone's problems? So I was pissed at him too for being somehow naive to allow this.

Now after some thinking through I realized something. I wrote this essay from Ephram's POV where he explains how he feels in the end of Season 3 (and why he leaves for Europe). I post it here in Greg's thread. Anyway I will give you the summary now.

See Everwood was the sanctuary place for Andy and well he hoped that it would be for Ephram and Delia too. However unlike you I don't think that Everwood helped Ephram. Not at all. I think that in Season 1 Ephram decided to not deal with his mother's death and instead of this he focused on Amy - his feelings over her, helping her etc. It was his escape from his own problems and feelings. In Season 2 Amy had problems and while he tried to help her (and I do think that he did what he had to - not abandoning her, but also not smothering her and giving her privacy), he also decided that he is fine and he tried to stop thinking about her. Him being with Madison was his way to not think about Amy and the feelings he had for her. In Season 2 he wanted something more than being her friend, but he knew that he can't have it - she was depressed. So he decided to find someone else, so that he won't think about her and how he can't have her.

In Season 3 he was with Amy and he was happy, but I don't think that he was confident in their relationship. Hence this necklace and promise for forever. He wanted to reassure himself that they will be forever. I never saw Ephram as someone with high self esteem. He definitely feared that Amy might get bored of him, because she used to date totally different guys - Colin, Tommy. When he realized that his father and his first girl friend lied to him (or the girl he had slept with for the first time), he realized that people lie to each other. His mother cheated on his father, Andy lied to him, Madison lied to him. Everyone lied to him, so he stopped believing in the concept of love. On the other hand he realized that he never actually coped with his mother death - hence this letter from Julia and her present. So he took the trip to Europe and when he came back, he actually had the time for himself (since he is Introvert) to get used to the facts - that his mother is dead and he has a child out there. In Season 4 he was really ready to move on with his life in Everwood. Till that point he was thinking about New York and he didn't like it there. Even in Season 3 he complained about Everwood and thought about the old times in New York.

Last edited by secretk; 08-13-2012 at 04:04 AM
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Administrator

I’ve said this before, but Ephram and Amy were the most perfectly realized couple ever. They had it all: love, passion, romance, sweetness, and a wonderful friendship. The word soulmates was ruined for me by Dawson’s Creek, but they really were soulmates.The writers did a rare thing on shows like these: they kept them apart romantically to ramp up the drama, but they did it in a way that kept their friendship and connection intact and kept their fans rooting for them. Like Shu said, the end of the Series Finale was plausible and made sense because Ephram and Amy were practically a couple all season, even though they technically weren’t together, and they had worked out their issues. I could understand why Amy had been hesitant to get back together with Ephram because he had hurt her so badly, but you knew she still loved him, and you knew he still loved her, so while I was disappointed that they didn’t get back together earlier that season, that final scene between them, which still makes me get tears in my eyes whenever I watch it, was as perfect an ending as we could have ever wanted for them and for the show itself.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I’ve said this before, but Ephram and Amy were the most perfectly realized couple ever. They had it all: love, passion, romance, sweetness, and a wonderful friendship. The word soulmates was ruined for me by Dawson’s Creek, but they really were soulmates.The writers did a rare thing on shows like these: they kept them apart romantically to ramp up the drama, but they did it in a way that kept their friendship and connection intact and kept their fans rooting for them. Like Shu said, the end of the Series Finale was plausible and made sense because Ephram and Amy were practically a couple all season, even though they technically weren’t together, and they had worked out their issues. I could understand why Amy had been hesitant to get back together with Ephram because he had hurt her so badly, but you knew she still loved him, and you knew he still loved her, so while I was disappointed that they didn’t get back together earlier that season, that final scene between them, which still makes me get tears in my eyes whenever I watch it, was as perfect an ending as we could have ever wanted for them and for the show itself.
Exactly, they were such a well written couple (even better than my FAB and I'm loathe to dethrone them for anyone). I loved the slow burn and the establishment of their connection and how the writers didn't just let the problems pile up, but rather you go to see them work through it and become better people.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Shu, I love your gifs. Can I add them to the opening post?

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that this is an appreciation thread for this couple ...and we have other threads for criticisms and disagreements about the couple.
We also have a Madison thread for those of us who hated her or didn't mind her.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread