Fan Forum Hero

Everwood Food & Recipe Thread: #4

YOUR FAVORITE FOODS AND RECIPES HERE

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 06-21-2015 at 12:11 PM
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Latest recipe from the old thread......

This looks and sounds yummy and healthy!

Cut a zucchini into thin slices and toss in 1 Tbsp olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with paprika and bake at 450°F for 25 to 30 minutes. Using paprika not only to flavor this healthy snack, but also to boost your metabolism, reduce your appetite, and lower your blood pressure.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks for the new one!

Now I can relax.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich1111 (View Post)
Thanks for the new one!

Now I can relax.
Relax!! I added some falafel to the opening post.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Relax!! I added some falafel to the opening post.
Love it!
Old 06-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Addicted Fan

I made these a few times before school was out, and the kids really liked them. I did the version with the peanut butter, and instead of adding peanut butter chips I sprinkled them with chocolate chips after I had pressed them out. Just let the chips soften a minute and then lightly press them into the bars.

No-Bake Chewy Granola Bars

(recipe makes a 9×13 pan)

recipe by Carole Jones of My Kitchen Escapades

2 cups quick cooking oats (or pulse whole oats in a food processor a bit)

1 C rice crispy cereal

1/4 C shredded coconut

1/4 C butter

1/4 C honey

1/2 C brown sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix -In variations listed below

1. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oats, cereal and coconut. Set a small saucepan over medium high heat and melt the butter. Add the honey, brown sugar and salt. Stir together then leave it alone as it comes to a boil. Once the boil has reached all the way around the edges of the pan, begin timing. Allow this mixture to boil for 2 minutes and 15 seconds. During this time, you may need to turn the heat down a bit so it doesn’t overflow, but be sure it keeps boiling. (MY NOTE: I found this to be too long to let the mixture boil, it made the granola bars very hard, and difficult to bite off. I drop the time to 1 minute 30 seconds, which makes the bars nice and chewy.)

2. Add the vanilla and then pour the mixture over the oats, using a rubber spatula to get all the sugar mixture out of the pan. Mix the ingredients together until the oats are completely coated. Add in your desired mix-in then press very firmly into a lightly greased 9×13″ pan. If you like your bars thicker, you can use a smaller pan. If you do not press firmly enough, the bars will fall apart when you eat them. Place them in the fridge for 20 minutes then cut to size.

Chocolate Chip

Add 1/2 C of mini chocolate chips to the finished mixture before pressing into the pan, allowing it cool just a bit or you will end up with melted chips. Sprinkle on a few extra chips over the top after they are pressed into the pan.

White Chocolate Cranberry

Add 1/3 C of white chocolate chips and 1/3 C of Craisins to the finished mixture before pressing into the pan, allowing it to cool just a bit first or you will end up with melted chips.

Candy Bar

Add 1/3 C of Heath bar pieces, 1/3 C of mini M&M’s and 1/3 C of chopped pretzels to the finished mixture before pressing into the pan.

Peanut Butter

Add 2 Tb of peanut butter to the finished sugar mixture before pouring it over the oats. Once mixed with the oats, add 1/2 C peanut butter chips before pressing into the pan.

Raisin Nut

Add 1/3 C of chopped raisins and 1/3 C of chopped pecans to the finished mixture before pressing into the pan.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yum, Taryn!!! And they are healthy as well!! The white chocolate cranberry sounds interesting...
Old 06-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
The white chocolate cranberry sounds interesting...
Yes it sure does! I would probably put in some walnuts too. Loooove that combo. I eat oatmeal with walnuts and dried cranberries quite a bit.

And mmmmmm, now I'm thinking of dried blueberries with white chocolate chips too. *drool*
Old 06-21-2015, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
Yes it sure does! I would probably put in some walnuts too. Loooove that combo. I eat oatmeal with walnuts and dried cranberries quite a bit.

And mmmmmm, now I'm thinking of dried blueberries with white chocolate chips too. *drool*
OMG!!

I'll bet cut up dried apricot would be good, too!
Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Addicted Fan

I foresee lots of granola bars in our future!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the new thread, Betty!

Those granola bars look interesting!
Old 10-17-2015, 03:52 AM
Master Fan

So guys you know that I try to stay clear of the tasty desserts because well it's easier to maintain my weight and my stomach feels better this way. Sometimes though I want a treat as well. So here is a simple dessert like thing I come up with that's not so bad and it's tasty:

100 grams (or more depending on the taste) strained yogurt
100 grams strawberries
1 kiwi

I placed on the bottom of a cup one layer of kiwi. Then I added a layer of strained yogurt. Then another layer, but this time with strawberries. Another layer of yogurt and I topped it with layer of mixed kiwi and strawberries.

The strained yogurt fives you the creamy texture, but it has less calories than heavy cream for example.

It's simple (I'm not good in the kitchen so you can't expect me to try anything complex ), but it works.

You could use different types of fruits of course. It would be good with banana as well, but it will have more calories. Other berries could be used as well, but they are not available in this season. Plums sounds good as well. Mayve pineapple would work as well.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
So guys you know that I try to stay clear of the tasty desserts because well it's easier to maintain my weight and my stomach feels better this way. Sometimes though I want a treat as well. So here is a simple dessert like thing I come up with that's not so bad and it's tasty:

100 grams (or more depending on the taste) strained yogurt
100 grams strawberries
1 kiwi

I placed on the bottom of a cup one layer of kiwi. Then I added a layer of strained yogurt. Then another layer, but this time with strawberries. Another layer of yogurt and I topped it with layer of mixed kiwi and strawberries.

The strained yogurt fives you the creamy texture, but it has less calories than heavy cream for example.

It's simple (I'm not good in the kitchen so you can't expect me to try anything complex ), but it works.

You could use different types of fruits of course. It would be good with banana as well, but it will have more calories. Other berries could be used as well, but they are not available in this season. Plums sounds good as well. Mayve pineapple would work as well.
Thank you for this, Koni! I have to try it! Yesterday I was eating yogurt with pineapples at the bottom and then just mixed it together. It was delicious. I am going to try your recipe after I get my fruit today.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:31 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Thank you for this, Koni! I have to try it! Yesterday I was eating yogurt with pineapples at the bottom and then just mixed it together. It was delicious. I am going to try your recipe after I get my fruit today.
I love strained yogurt, but it's still more calories so I have to moderate how much I eat it. When I mix it with fruits though it's great and I could have little dessert .

I hope that you like it this way!
Old 10-17-2015, 05:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
I love strained yogurt, but it's still more calories so I have to moderate how much I eat it. When I mix it with fruits though it's great and I could have little dessert .

I hope that you like it this way!
I will report back when I try it!

What other healthy desserts do you eat?
Reply   Post New Thread