Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2022, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
The character was written so perfectly for Dawson too. They really could have had a great storyline together. She could have challenged him with their art. I would’ve preferred them romantically together over Dawson and Gretchen because it was clear Gretchen was used simply to make Joey jealous and Pacey pissed.
I agree, and I thought that Bianca Lawson and James Van Der Beek had a lot of chemistry. Dawson and Gretchen were so fabricated, and they retconned a history where she was Dawson's first crush, and Gretchen seemed almost maternal with Dawson. Sasha Alexander was and is a beautiful woman, but she looked too old to be a 20 year old college student and a love interest for Dawson. Granted, almost all the actors on the show were older than the age of their characters, but Sasha looked like a woman instead of a college-aged girl, and her and James had no chemistry together in my opinion.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 06-30-2022, 03:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I agree, and I thought that Bianca Lawson and James Van Der Beek had a lot of chemistry. Dawson and Gretchen were so fabricated, and they retconned a history where she was Dawson's first crush, and Gretchen seemed almost maternal with Dawson. Sasha Alexander was and is a beautiful woman, but she looked too old to be a 20 year old college student and a love interest for Dawson. Granted, almost all the actors on the show were older than the age of their characters, but Sasha looked like a woman instead of a college-aged girl, and her and James had no chemistry together in my opinion.
I completely agree.

It kind of reminded me of Ephram and Madison a little bit but thankfully Dawson and Gretchen didn’t sleep together, get pregnant, and of course Gretchen was much more likable.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I’m trying to think of what the age difference was between them? If I remember correctly, Gretchen was 20 and Dawson was 17/18? Way better than Ephram and Madison but still, like you said, Gretchen appeared much older and there was that slightly creepy childhood/boyish crush Dawson as a boy had on her too.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I’m trying to think of what the age difference was between them? If I remember correctly, Gretchen was 20 and Dawson was 17/18? Way better than Ephram and Madison but still, like you said, Gretchen appeared much older and there was that slightly creepy childhood/boyish crush Dawson as a boy had on her too.
Yes, I believe she was supposed to be 20, and Dawson would have been 17 or 18 as this was his Senior Year in High School. Oh course, seniors in High School usually don't have receding hairlines, but hey, this was Dawson's Creek! There was a backstory where we learned that Gretchen dropped out of college after her freshman year because she got pregnant and had a miscarriage, so there were shades of Madison there, although Dawson wasn't the father and she lost the baby.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 07-01-2022, 05:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Yes, I believe she was supposed to be 20, and Dawson would have been 17 or 18 as this was his Senior Year in High School. Oh course, seniors in High School usually don't have receding hairlines, but hey, this was Dawson's Creek!
James definitely looked much older than Greg Smith.

Quote:
There was a backstory where we learned that Gretchen dropped out of college after her freshman year because she got pregnant and had a miscarriage, so there were shades of Madison there, although Dawson wasn't the father and she lost the baby.
Oh my gosh, thanks for the reminder, I remember this now. Yikes.

Dawson’s Creek also did the Mary Kay Letourneau-like story with Tamara and Pacey as well so the show was definitely obsessed with controversial relationships and pregnancies.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
James definitely looked much older than Greg Smith.
I remember when Luke Perry was on Beverly Hills 90210, he also had a receding hairline, but he could somewhat get away with it because he was supposed to be older than the other characters. Funny story: I once made a remark on the Dawson's Creek board back in the day about James' receding hairline, and there was this Dawson fan named Jill Leigh who was really pompous and she would refer to the actors as Mr. this or Ms. that, and she said "Mr. Van Der Beek's hairline is normal for someone in their twenties as all men lose some hair in their twenties." Um, no, not all men lose some hair in their twenties. I didn't!

Quote:
Oh my gosh, thanks for the reminder, I remember this now. Yikes.
It was sort of done in passing when Pacey and Gretchen visited her college and we "met" the jerk ex-boyfriend that got her pregnant.

Quote:
Dawson’s Creek also did the Mary Kay Letourneau-like story with Tamara and Pacey as well so the show was definitely obsessed with controversial relationships and pregnancies.
The Pacey-Tamara storyline was the only part of Season One that I really didn't like, and that storyline ended in an unrealistic way where she left town and Pacey denied that anything happened between them. At least they didn't have her get pregnant though!

Old 07-01-2022, 10:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I remember when Luke Perry was on Beverly Hills 90210, he also had a receding hairline, but he could somewhat get away with it because he was supposed to be older than the other characters. Funny story: I once made a remark on the Dawson's Creek board back in the day about James' receding hairline, and there was this Dawson fan named Jill Leigh who was really pompous and she would refer to the actors as Mr. this or Ms. that, and she said "Mr. Van Der Beek's hairline is normal for someone in their twenties as all men lose some hair in their twenties." Um, no, not all men lose some hair in their twenties. I didn't!
Exactly.

With Luke Perry, people always talked about how he was displaying the James Dean look too. All I kept thinking is Dean still looked much younger and he died really young too. Then again, Perry passed away at a fairly young age as well. Way older than Dean but thought of this odd comparison just now.

Quote:
It was sort of done in passing when Pacey and Gretchen visited her college and we "met" the jerk ex-boyfriend that got her pregnant.
Right! I vaguely remember this. I think I blocked out this time period because Pacey and Joey sickened me so much. It also doesn't help that I refuse to rewatch the show.

Quote:
The Pacey-Tamara storyline was the only part of Season One that I really didn't like, and that storyline ended in an unrealistic way where she left town and Pacey denied that anything happened between them. At least they didn't have her get pregnant though!
Yes, thank God for that!

She was 36 and Pacey was 15. Yikes. I saw an interview where Josh stated he didn't think they displayed the relationship as acceptable or anything. I slightly disagree. While they were clear it wasn't legal, I found there was a reason crazy fans liked them. There was this odd silent theme of you can't help who you are attracted to. It was strange. Pacey lost his virginity to her too. Yuck.

Williamson stated in an interview he doesn't regret the relationship/storyline but probably wouldn't do it in the present. I thought his thoughts were interesting. So is he saying it was more acceptable back then or in the present it's truly unacceptable? Very odd comments.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-01-2022 at 10:53 AM
Old 07-03-2022, 06:52 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
100% although I do love Dawson & Jen in S5, I do think Dawson & Nikki could’ve been special as well.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200 (View Post)
100% although I do love Dawson & Jen in S5, I do think Dawson & Nikki could’ve been special as well.
Dawson and Jen in Season Five was another missed opportunity. They could have made a wonderful couple because Dawson was more mature now and he respected Jen as a person, and I felt that there was a genuine love between them, but it seemed like she was brought him so Dawson could lose his virginity to someone that he cared about, and they soon had him go back to pining for Joey. Jen treated Dawson better than Joey ever treated him, but they had their relationship just fizzle out and end.

Old 07-04-2022, 02:08 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Dawson and Jen in Season Five was another missed opportunity. They could have made a wonderful couple because Dawson was more mature now and he respected Jen as a person, and I felt that there was a genuine love between them, but it seemed like she was brought him so Dawson could lose his virginity to someone that he cared about, and they soon had him go back to pining for Joey. Jen treated Dawson better than Joey ever treated him, but they had their relationship just fizzle out and end.
When you look at the show I love Jen was truly there for him. Sadly Dawson sees some sketch book in S5 and it’s back to Joey & Jen talks to some band member and she doesn’t like Dawson anymore.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200 (View Post)
When you look at the show I love Jen was truly there for him. Sadly Dawson sees some sketch book in S5 and it’s back to Joey & Jen talks to some band member and she doesn’t like Dawson anymore.
I know. I really hate how they ended their relationship.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

TPTB sacrificed everything for Katie as Joey Potter so the series was never going to turn out successful. Not when your main character in Dawson is sidelined and your very best actor on the show (and they knew it) in Michelle Williams was never able to showcase her talent and step over Katie/Joey as the main female.

Notice they had Josh essentially step over James. Yet Michelle didn’t naturally step over Katie? No, it wasn’t because of quality or improving the show. It was all for a trashy triangle and the IT girl shining ultimately destroying the series.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
TPTB sacrificed everything for Katie as Joey Potter so the series was never going to turn out successful. Not when your main character in Dawson is sidelined and your very best actor on the show (and they knew it) in Michelle Williams was never able to showcase her talent and step over Katie/Joey as the main female.

Notice they had Josh essentially step over James. Yet Michelle didn’t naturally step over Katie? No, it wasn’t because of quality or improving the show. It was all for a trashy triangle and the IT girl shining ultimately destroying the series.
Truer words were never spoken. It's ironic that they centered everything on the least talented actor on the show.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Truer words were never spoken. It's ironic that they centered everything on the least talented actor on the show.
Right? Why? They thought she was selling material? Were they using her to jumpstart the network? I didn’t watch Roswell at the time but did they do this with Shiri or Majandra?
Old 07-05-2022, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Right? Why? They thought she was selling material? Were they using her to jumpstart the network? I didn’t watch Roswell at the time but did they do this with Shiri or Majandra?
What I think happened is that Katie Holmes became very popular on the Internet, (she was one of the first actresses to become popular on the Internet, with people creating websites for her) and Paul Stupin and Co., who did have an awareness of the Internet, saw that and they hedged all their bets on Katie, which was a big mistake. Katie Holmes initially had a girl-next-door appeal, and in Season One she was the underdog that everyone rooted for to get the boy of her dreams, but after Season One she became the IT girl that no mere mortal could resist, and Katie's looks were already starting to fade in the later seasons and she didn't have the talent to carry the whole show, and the show suffered for it.

Roswell didn't do that with Shiri, Majandra, or Katherine Heigl.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread