Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Addicted Fan

Episode Discussion: Ep # 211 "Family Dynamics"

from thewb.com:

Airing 9 EST/8 CT, Monday, 2/19/04
When Andy's (Treat Williams) relationship with Delia (Vivien Cardone) is threatened after he breaks his promise not to date Linda Abbott (Marcia Cross), he decides to take his daughter on a special bonding trip to regain her trust. Andy is also surprised by Ephram's (Gregory Smith) emotional reaction to the relationship with Linda. The Abbott family is still in turmoil when Amy (Emily Van Camp) decides to live with Edna (Debra Mooney) and Irv (John Beasley), rather than playing by her parents' (Tom Amandes and Merilynn Gann) rules.
Chris Pratt and Stephanie Niznik also star. Michael Schultz directs from a script by David Hudgins.

--------------------

We haven't had one of these in a while folks, so welcome back, this is why we're here.
-maria
The Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:45 AM
Passionate Fan

*sighs* Finally, a new episode! Sounds pretty good, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Fan

Ugh. I want more Nina!

"I know who you are..."

"It's all fun and games 'till one of you gets my foot up your ass."
Cruel Irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

TONIGHT!!! OMG! We have waited forever and its finally here! Woohoo!!

<3..theOC..OTH..GG..EW..AD..DC..<3
RORYJESS16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Fan

Amy is a stubborn brat.

I hated her with a passion.

I also hate when Nina's not in the episode.

I loved that line that went between Andy and Edna when they saw the husband...

The actress that played the wife died? Does anyone have any more information on her... or what happened?

Edited to add: Some info on her here.

[ 01-19-2004: Message edited MARIAROCKS000 ]

"I know who you are..."

"It's all fun and games 'till one of you gets my foot up your ass."
Cruel Irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Addicted Fan

Emily-amazing. really made amy seem like the brat and that was the whole point of the episode.

Ephram-he's definetly grown and you can see that in the scene with andy at the canyon. i think that was one of the most beautiful scenes between them.

Delia-glad to see they worked things out

Rose-amazing acting on Merilynn's part. and it was good to see the character having some guts.

and alex- i noticed that apparently she did although i have no clue who the actress was so i wouldn't even know where to begin to look for info

-maria
The Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Master Fan

Hey, glad to see Everwood is back. It was a good episode to say the least.

Amy-She seems to be improving but I don't like her boyfriend at all. She thinks she can get away without having any restrictions on her but Edna proved her wrong.

Ephram-I like how he is growing up and he's just not any teenager with hormones. I like how he kept himself under check when alone with Madison.

Rose/Herald-I don't like how they basically yelled at Amy and tried to control whatever she does. They needed to listen to her more and try to understand things from her point of view. It does go both ways though. I think they are learning a lot as parents.

Dr.Brown-Liked how he handled the Delia situation and how everything turned out for him. He was pretty good with the lady who wanted to have her dead husbands baby.

Delia-I could understand where she was coming from and its good she realized her Mom will still love her even she starts to like another woman for her Dad.

Everyone else-They were supporting characters and I did like what Edna did for Amy. I don't like Amy's boyfriend though. He seems he could be more trouble.

-Christy
Creative Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Obsessed Fan

i wish there were more ephram/madison scenes! their first scene was so cute! the camping trip idea and how it didn't really work out was actually pretty funny, cuz delia cracks me up! i love irv and edna [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]!!! they're so sweet!

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited Kayley ]
Old 01-20-2004, 05:08 AM
Dedicated Fan

I haven't posted in a really long time but felt compelled to tonight. They seem to forget that the root of Amy's problem was her depression and that Harold and Rose were horrible dealing with it and understanding it. Harold seems more concerned with keeping labels off his daughter than treating/helping her. They now seem to focus on Amy's bratty behaviour but gloss over the origins. I don't mind the boyfriend-I think he is trying. Basically I don't like this storyline.
I'd like to see more of Ephram, etc.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Part-Time Fan

My thoughts on last night's episode:

-First, something that bugs me is the Bright situation. Bright has turned into such a great guy this season and I hate the way his parents (not intentionally) favor Amy over him. He never gets a chance to speak anymore, I wanna hear what he has to say. It seems as if everyone in that family is all about Amy. I feel bad for Bright.

-I love Amy but she is taking advantage of her situation. Amy definitely has a point about them attacking Tommy at Thanksgiving but it seems like she is trying to take advantage of those around her. I hope Tommy or someone helps her realize what she is doing.

-I'm hoping Madison/Tommy are steps to helping Ephramy get together.

-Still no Nina! Grrrr!

-I'm really afraid of the Linda situation. I'm not a huge fan of Andy and her together but what he said to her last night was really nice. I just hope he doesn't get hurt in the end.

-I'm really glad that Rose is finally starting to speak up about things. I love Dr. Abbott but she really needs to take charge also.

It seems like there could be a pattern with the deaths in Everwood. Julia's death in season 1, Colin's death in beginning of season 2, I hope its not her death in season 3. I don't read spoilers though..just thinking about it. Just because she has HIV doesn't mean she is going to die but what if the weather gets bad and she gets sick? She may get worse. Just a thought.

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited RORYJESS16 ]

<3..theOC..OTH..GG..EW..AD..DC..<3
RORYJESS16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Loyal Fan

I haven't written in the episode discussion ever, but last night is still on my mind....

I feel for Amy. She is doing a lot better (I doubt its cause of Tommy tho) and I'm glad. Rose & Herald don't see how she's improving and I don't think they can handle a teenage daughter who's suffering from depression... I agree with whoever said that they are more cercerned with labels... prehaps embarressment from neighbors if they found out and all around embarressed by her... Amy is at wrong for most of the things she does cause she is trying to break boundaries and be rebellious, but Rose and Herald don't listen to her and read between the lines, they'd rather displine her at the wrong times, rather than actually dealing with her problems. Last night I thought it was very adult of Amy to have a family meeting like that, but Rose and Herald were apalled... I don't understand... but I thought she was acting very adult, taking responsiblity for her actions and what not... after her speech, her apology, they jump down her throat, saying that she's childish and not taking responsiblity. I also thought her "I'll give up the car, the phone.... " etc... but not Tommy was reasonable cause they didn't give him a chance and don't know him, only rumors of his reputation (from Bright!!) ... was reasonable.. they should have at least thought about it. Tommy might not be a bad influence, I'm not sure what I think yet, but I think that maybe they need to have a family night and invite Tommy over and get to know him. Herald jumped on him first thing at dinner, that wasn't right. I know he loves is daughter.

Bright- I feel so bad for him. He's the oldest, but yet, so overshadowed by his sister and I guess always been. What's up with the priest not letting him talk at the meeting?? I wanted to know what he thought.

Edna- I love her so much. She thinks what I'm usually thinking... her face at the meeting with the priest was totally my feeling... I feel for her.

Ephram and Madison - well, they kinda sicken me... I mean she's older than him... considerably, its not right, its illegal in fact. But more importantly I don't see it going anywhere, but with Ephram with a broken heart.

Andy & Linda - I'm OK with it. I get that they have things in common and what not... but it could be a tragic mistake... if she gets sick and dies, that will be tough on Andy and Ephram and Delia if they get really close to her too..... I don't see good things coming from this, except ... the acception that Andy dating again is OK and that it is alright... but other than that... ugh... don't go there... I'm rooting for Andy and Nina anyway [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Delia - she was cute in this episode.. .. I liked the whole hotel thing.... I went "uh oh" when Andy was forcing a "father/daughter" thing on her.. he pushes too much, but it worked out... they had a nice talk...

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited motl6 ]

Pacey & Joey : Memories of Truelove
MOTL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Passionate Fan

Wow, I'm so glad we got our new episode! It was really good, I think. These are just some of my thoughts...

- Wow, Rose sure had some guts in this one! She had a real point about her and Harold's marriage in that one scene in the kitchen. At some points I think she might have taken things too far. I hope the Abbott's will be able to work through all this - I really like that family.

- I used to really like Amy. Heck, I'm a Greenie at heart, and Emily VanCamp is really nice, but come on, Amy - GET A LIFE! She's acting like the biggest brat in the universe right now. Thinking that the world revolves around her, and all that. She's really gotta grow up and sort out her priorities. I didn't really like Tommy before this episode, but he handled the whole Thanksgiving thing really well. I hope Tommy can help Amy do better. Emily did some good acting, though.

- I felt so bad for Bright when he heard his parents arguing - the look he gave his Dad TOTALLY made me want to hug him (not that I don't always.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) I wish he wouldn't always be shoved into the backseat because of Amy.

- Edna. Edna, Edna, Edna. What was she thinking, not calling the Abbotts? That's kind of where it all started, if you think about it. Oh well, what's done is done. I'm glad she set some rules for Amy though, they were really necessary.

- Andy and Linda..... what can I say? I really miss Nina, of course, but I do like the A/L thing they've got going on. I loved what he said to her when he turned up at her door. He's a really sweet man - sometimes the biggest dumb*ss around, but a sweet one, anyway. I hope he and Linda are happy together.

- I thought Delia was being a brat in this episode. She's only 10 though - it was pretty hard for her to understand the whole Dad-dating-again concept. I think Andy handled it pretty well. Kudos to him.

- I was sure that lady...... what was her name? Helen? I was sure she was gonna give up on her present husband and have the baby with her dead one (that whole situation is kinda creepy, if you think about it...) I'm glad she didn't, though. Doc Brown handled that as good as can be expected, I guess.

- I liked Doc Brown and Ephram's bonding session at the end. It was pretty neat, one of their best moments. And what a thing to bond over!!!! Lol. Also, I'm glad to see that Ephram can behave fine when he and Madison are alone together.

- There were some great lines in this episode! I loved Rose and Harold's argument (not the fact that they argued, the fact that it was well-written). I liked what Ephram said to his Dad about Linda, too. Plus, "You forgot one thing" "What's that?" "I don't like you". Hahaha that was pretty good. As was the whole "Considering what we just did, did we committ spermicide?" Lol.

Can't wait for next week's episode! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
EphramIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:20 PM
LTL
Master Fan

It was so nice to get a new ep this week -- a nice tall drink after a long drought.

Amy -- She's definitely got a little control thing going for her, which must have completely thrown her when she couldn't keep Colin alive. But now that she's coming out of her depression, she's turned her need for control on her family. This is a little more than just pushing for some independence. EvC is doing a great job acting out Amy's gradual changes, although I think the change (in the writing) from Amy-is-depressed to Amy-is-out-of-control was a little abrupt.

Rose -- WTG, Rose!! She was right on the mark in yelling at Edna -- even someone who was not very involved with her own children should know how frantic parents would be over a missing child. I'm glad they're finally giving Rose some backbone. I found it hard to believe that someone so spineless could be elected mayor. As someone said above, her fight with Harold was very well-written. It showed how problems can fester in a marriage over a long period of time.

Bright -- I think he's going to reach the boiling point pretty soon. Everything in their house has been so Amy-centric, it's a wonder he hasn't exploded before now.

Harold -- Thank goodness he got a clue! I don't necessarily think Rose is completely right in this, but it's a situation where he needed to back her up. He was completely wrong in not letting Amy get medicated, so he needs to sit back and think about where else he may be going wrong in regard to his kids.

Since Harold treated Tommy so badly, they should think about having him over again and getting to know him, rather than barring Amy from seeing him.

The Browns -- Linda and Madison both make me [img]smilies/yawn.gif[/img] so it's hard to get worked up about these relationships. I did like the parallel between the patient's need to let go of her first husband and get on with her life and the Browns' situation with Julia. Loved the last scene with Andy and Ephram!
Old 01-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Passionate Fan

Wow. First of all I was so glad that we finally got over this hiatus.

As for the episode I loved every scene with the Abbotts.

Rose- Finally she grew a backbone and just let it all out. I was so proud of Rose. Rose is right. For years, Amy has been affecting the family and Dr. A has been putting her first above all else, herself and Bright included. And I am glad that they are finally trying to discipline her for her reckless actions. Amy acts out and she gets a car. Amy stills prescription medication and nothing happens. The world does not revolve around Amy nor should it. Each family member has their own problems, but since no one's problems can compare to Amy's, they have said or done little. Rose loves her daughter that was evident during the last scene. But Rose has said enough. Amy and her problems are not going to dictate this family anymore. Good for Rose. Oh and lets not forget, Rose's comment to about how Edna disrespects Harold.

Harold- Wake up call for Dr. A in this episode. Glad Rose told him off and told him the real deal. He needed to here how much he has ignored his wife and son in favor of Amy. Of how much of his decisions about Amy have affected the family as a whole. By George I think he's got it. Or at least I hope so. They need to stay tough with Amy. They cannot let her blackmail them into giving in.

Bright- He is the one I sympathise with. I am waiting for this kid to explode. Poor Bright virtually gets ignored. Even during the family therapy with the priest he was not able to say anything. But I have a feeling that one day he will just go off on Amy. He was not buying her crap anymore than I was. If he has to follow their parents rules set out for him, then why shouldn't she. Oh yeah, because she has depression. Whatever. I am glad that Rose and Harold are starting to realise that the family does not revolve around Amy and her problems. Hopefully Bright will get some much needed attention from his parents now that Amy refuses to come home unless her parents let her have her way.

Amy- Amy is so taking advantage of the situation and is using her depression as a tool to manipulate her parents into doing whatever she wants. Excuse me, but she is 16 years old. Of course they can tell her what to do as long as she lives under her roof. Now I fully believe that Amy has depression. Perhaps severe depression. But, depression or no depression a child needs boundaries and rules to live by. And the fact that she went over to Edna's and tried to cop an attitude and threaten to leave there too when Edna told her she could not go out says one thing only to me. Depression be damned, Amy is a spoiled brat.

Edna- Not sure what to say. Bit of more than she can chew though she had good intentions. She needs to grow a backbone when it comes to Amy. Poor Irv, he had to bite his tongue on multiple occassions. You could tell he wanted to say something about Amy's behavior and the situation as a whole. Will be interesting to see how their marriage is affected by Amy living with them.

Andy- Not much to say. Glad that he picked up on the fact that something was wrong with Ephram. Wish Delia and him could have had their disagreement a while longer and for more episodes.

Ephram- You can so see how much Ephram is maturing. A year ago, Andy would have had to pull it out of him or he would have yelled or something, now he feels he can actually talk to Andy about what his feelings are. I like that he realised that though he did not like the situation with Andy/Linda he would have to learn to deal with it. Not much to say about him and Madison.

OK next weeks looks to be another good one. Can't wait.

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Obsessed Fan

Finally, Everwood is back...not a moment too soon. This season has been very depressing, yet VERY realistic. Still very depressing. Hope that some of these plots are resolved soon. I really feel for Bright in a way I never thought possible at this time last season. They made his character so likeable this season and we are really in need of some Bright heavy episodes.

This episode did a good job mixing the heavy drama with some great humor at the end. Did we just commit spermicide....BWAH!