Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Master Fan

What did you think of Colin, Chuck? Pro-Colin, or are you on the evil, hatahz club?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 10-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
What did you think of Colin, Chuck? Pro-Colin, or are you on the evil, hatahz club?
I kind of liked him and thought it was a tragic story of someone trying to reclaim his life after a coma,with a sad ending.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I remember not being Colin's biggest fan during the original run of the show but I did like him. And afer watching all the episodes again, I do still like him. I find it sad that the accident changed him so much. And the aftermath of Colin's death was one of the most powerful things the show did

Laura|
Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Elite Fan

I always felt for Colin. It wasn't his fault he was so screwed up, so I don't blame him. and maybe the accident is "just an excuse" but I think it's a pretty damned good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfs89 (View Post)
Until you get your own caps,you're welcome to use the photos that I posted for your site as well.
gratzi. though... not being allowed on the internet is going to drastically impair my ability to even start updating it again.
Ellie
Old 10-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura
And the aftermath of Colin's death was one of the most powerful things the show did
Agreed. A lot of shows kill of characters and their impact isn't felt even a few episodes after their death. Everwood? Julia's death is felt for four whole seasons, and Colin's is felt for at least one and it was a really moving story for Amy and for Andy. I think we would have seen the same with Irv's death had Dawn Ostroff not been an evil witch, heh.

And Ellie, I agree that a lot of his issues were due to his brain failing on him. Not all, as he was still a jerk to Ephram, but for the most part, he was really messed up at the end. I felt for him too.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 10-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Good thoughts, Tos, Laura, everyone. I love the Colin/Julia parallel. You said it, Tos... their passing away did have meaning, especially for Andy and Amy. Laura, I was never a fan of Colin and admittedly I am still not totally sold but I think that's partially why I asked this question... a question I think I even asked in the past whenever I was mod... because I feel like I am still on the fence about him. A part of me does feel like my mind is changing on him and what precisely he meant to the show. I know he was a significant part of the show. But sometimes during episodes I feel one way and realize I should feel another. I can't really explain it. I think it's just fun discussing the topic of Colin because I believe he was way more significant than I think many that don't like him believe or want to believe. Anyway, now I am babbling. So, yeah, thanks for the responses.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Part-Time Fan

Michelle, you're so cute. Hee.

Well since I wasn't around here posting whenever you were mod, I was only bothering you in person, I will answer this magnificent question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
I was wondering if you wanted him to stay on the show or did you feel like his story was played out even if you loved the character? Did you appreciate his time on the show but you felt his storyline ran its course or did you really want him to live and find a permanent place in Everwood with the other characters? A second part to that question would be if you wanted him to stay on the show you can also comment on how you might think his continued story would have played out or what would you have wanted to see happen to Colin?
I always liked Colin. I thought the entire story was very real and one that did have a true ending, sadly, which means the answer to your question is no, I didn't see any other story for him even if I liked him. The story he had, in itself, was beautiful. It meant something significant to the story of Everwood. Having said that, I really never had a problem with his behavior because in my mind his health issues were what I was seeing the most. I don't really care to determine what he was necessarily like pre accident outside of being a nice guy overall because it's immaterial given what the story showed anyway. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I do know most of his actions after he came out of the coma were due to his brain issues. As for some of his behavior like at the dance, yes, he wasn't exactly behaving perfectly but I am wondering who would be if they were suffering with the stress of having the brain issues to battle even if he was in his "right frame of mind."

So yes, I liked Colin but no, I believe his story was beautiful and it ended as it should have even if it was terribly heartbreaking to see it unfold.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland
As for some of his behavior like at the dance, yes, he wasn't exactly behaving perfectly but I am wondering who would be if they were suffering with the stress of having the brain issues to battle even if he was in his "right frame of mind."
We've been talking in the Rewatch threads about Colin knowing that he was going to die and, before that, knowing that he was deteriorating. I think it's interesting to look at that dance with the view that he knew that he was falling apart rapidly. You not only think of the stress, as you pointed out, but the fear of being alone throughout this struggle. He isn't viewing Amy going to dance with Ephram and a friend helping another friend, he views that as the only person that really believes him other than his parents, that is going to be there, care for him, everything, walk away from him. That has to be scary when he's in the situation that he's in. When she knows that he's in trouble.

I think you can look at "The Miracle of Everwood" in much the same way. He knows that he's falling apart, and he's afraid. Everyone around him is starting to see the signs, and no doubt he has too, and no doubt Amy has too, and so he does go a bit crazy, says things like, "They're just trying to keep us apart" or whatever the line is, because he is so afraid of being without her when he knows what's coming.

That's a view that I've started noticing upon this rewatch. It's clear, I think, that Colin knows that something is wrong as early as "The Unveiling". Knowing that you're messed up and you can't do much about it and you just want to keep on living like you are has to do a number to your mental health, and I think it did with Colin.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The thing with Colin was that we got to know him when he already was in the coma. Sure, we got flashbacks but the Colin we knew was after the addicent. So I felt that I couldn't really 'judge' Colin based on that and I guess it made me understand him more.

What I always liked about Everwood and what very few shows do, is that they keep mentioning characters that have left the show, either by dying or just leaving. Everwood didn't pretend that these characters never existed which was nice.

Laura|
Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
We've been talking in the Rewatch threads about Colin knowing that he was going to die and, before that, knowing that he was deteriorating. I think it's interesting to look at that dance with the view that he knew that he was falling apart rapidly. You not only think of the stress, as you pointed out, but the fear of being alone throughout this struggle. He isn't viewing Amy going to dance with Ephram and a friend helping another friend, he views that as the only person that really believes him other than his parents, that is going to be there, care for him, everything, walk away from him. That has to be scary when he's in the situation that he's in. When she knows that he's in trouble.

Yes....but! Anyone who is a nice person with a heart would have felt compassion for Ephram and his pathetic situation at that dance. I'm sorry...as much as I am reading all of your thoughts and trying to empathize with your feelings about Colin...I just can't forgive him here. I guess I have too much empathy with Ephram in this instance. Colin's behavior here was just plain mean.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Elite Fan

I've probably said this before, but it's really helpful not liking Ephram. I can accept meanness to him. Team Colin!
Ellie
Old 10-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Yes....but! Anyone who is a nice person with a heart would have felt compassion for Ephram and his pathetic situation at that dance. I'm sorry...as much as I am reading all of your thoughts and trying to empathize with your feelings about Colin...I just can't forgive him here. I guess I have too much empathy with Ephram in this instance. Colin's behavior here was just plain mean.
I do agree, Betty. Colin isn't nice here and hard to root for. At the same time, a part of me thinks that it's probably pretty hard to be compassionate when you're afraid, and deteriorating and you're not quite sure what's going on in your head. He does collapse during the same episode, and has been feelings the effects before. I just think that it would be easy for all of that to trump any compassion. Especially when he (unfairly) views Ephram as a threat to being able to keep living the way he is because Ephram is trying to see Colin get help.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Master Fan

Don't fall over or anything, but...I can actually see this now. By this point in the run, Colin is in pretty terrible condition; ailing physically can be enough to bring out the jackass in some people (not that this ever, ever happens to me or anything), but given that his mental condition -- and all that entails, like personality -- was also failing, well, I can kind of start to sort of have some understanding of that. I guess. Whatever. I blame 'Tos and Taryn for this.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Have you fallen over, 'Tos? Would you like some help getting up?
Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Master Fan

Two hours later and I've finally recovered from the shock. Go Taryn and me!

I've always loved how complex Colin is. You've got the question of when the real Colin begins and ends. You've got the question of whether some of his negative behaviour is due to him as a person, or his brain going. And now you throw in the question of how much does his understanding and fear of his own deterioration and death affect his mental state, and he's even MORE complex. And I like that very much, hee. I think that Colin probably is one of the most complex characters on the show, and that's saying a lot with the kind of competition he has.

At the very least, us Colin fans have been able to make you lot less confused about why the heck we like the character. Success!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread