Old 11-05-2021, 07:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 2.18 - Last Looks

Rewatch Overview

Last Looks

SUMMARY

Against Andy's better judgment, Ephram and Madison decide it would be in Delia's best interest if Madison resumed her job as Delia's babysitter. Meanwhile, Amy contemplates going off her anti-depressant medication after Linda suggests she might be ready and Bright anxiously awaits his college acceptance letters.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
April 12, 2004

WRITER
John E. Pogue

DIRECTOR
Arvin Brown

jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ Decided to put this up a little early:

1. We have mostly concluded talk on 2.17 but of course we can continue discussing as well. I will keep 2.17 topped until late Saturday/early Sunday.

2. Jerry, you are going out of town so just wanted to get the new episode up for you.

3. Episode-related... I noticed the episode description... once again, Andy is against something Ephram/Madison-related and once again, he is right on. Everything Andy has said about these two he has been proven right. Ephram and Madison never listened to him. This is why I cannot stand Berlanti deciding to make Andy take the fall for the pregnancy. Andy shouldn't have taken on a burden he tried desperately to prevent. Both Ephram and Madison were idiots throughout and both needed to face the music directly instead of making Andy the bad guy when the reality is if they would have listened to Andy all along, the joke of a relationship never would have happened, and Madison certainly wouldn't have been carrying a baby created by her adult self, she made with a 16 year-old teen boy. Gross.

Last edited by jediwands; 11-05-2021 at 07:28 AM
Old 11-05-2021, 11:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thoughts while watching

- Irv’s immediate words about change = so profound.

- Delia is so mad at Ephram for messing up the Madison babysitter situation. Her dirty looks are profound. Delia is the only one who truly suffered during this toxic joke of a relationship. Delia is the little girl who endured the most. It is so wrong no one was looking out for her.

- Andy’s comment about the new babysitter being safe since Ephram wouldn’t date a much older woman is golden.

- Delia’s backwards hat is so cute. I wore my hats like that as a little girl and still do sometimes now. LOL.

- I love the theme song/music so much. It just gave me goosebumps, that’s how moved I continue to be after all these years.

- Andy/Nina scene at the diner... Andy shouldn’t worry about this.

- Oh Harold, you have no right being mad at Andy. Stop.

- Kind of shocked Nina is insinuating that Andy should be apologizing to Harold like he did something seriously wrong. She is right that Amy is his daughter but Andy is absolutely correct that he did the proper thing as a physician.

- Ephram is back in hyper-mode once again obsessed with Madison while Bright is so annoyed. Poor Bright. Bright has to also watch a friend excited he got into USC. Ephram asking Bright if Madison thinks about him is so irritating.

- No Notre Dame for Bright... Harold and Rose handled the news perfectly.

- So ridiculous Madison is acting like she can’t see Ephram, it hurts. My God, she was embarrassed to be seen with him when together and wanted him away from her space multiple times. Now it’s too hard. LOL.

- I love that Linda does breathing/meditation exercises, especially with Amy.

- As a psychologist I have many thoughts on antidepressants and stopping/starting. I mean, Amy has clinical depression, but it’s more of a situational depression, so it does make sense seeing how she does without. Of course it can’t be emphasized enough that some people have true chemical imbalances that need medication long-term.

- Andy should have been informed Madison was rehired. So careless and stupid he was not consulted first. Way to go, Ephram and Madison.

- I love how Andy essentially makes fun of Madison right to her face how ridiculous she is for returning.

- The scene between Amy and Rose in the kitchen as Amy asked to help her make the macaroni and cheese is so well acted. Emily is absolutely incredible as Amy. You can tell how guilty Amy feels for some of Bright’s education situation like the suspension, just how tense it still slightly is with her mother, how she’s battling probably the fear of going off the antidepressants. Even when Rose hugs her Amy feels weird and has to force a happy type of response when it is not her natural feelings at that moment. The scene is powerful. Emily sizzles here.

- The cards scene between Madison and Delia and then Ephram walking in and the tension between Madison and Ephram is so pathetically uncalled for. I cannot believe that they’re allowing Delia to witness this ONCE again. Delia literally asked Madison if they’re not together because Ephram is a kid. This is all kinds of disgusting and vile and Delia should not be in the middle of this crap. Wow.

- Madison calling Delia “sweetie” during the sick conversation is even more vile.

- Bright yelling at Ephram to SHUT UP is what most of the audience has wanted Ephram to do for 90% of the season.

- Bright explaining to Ephram that he is actually in pain and upset over the college situation and the ridiculous drama about being dumped is so totally meaningless by comparison was so awesome.

- Bright to Ephram: Dude you got dumped, get over it.

^ Thank you, Bright, but Ephram should have been over this for a long time now and worried about others like his sister instead.

- Ephram, due to guilt obviously, was right to get Bright passionate about fighting for college.

- Amy is so sweet worried about disappointing her family. It is sad she thinks she controlled disappointing them when she was depressed without medication.

- Ephram walking back inside the kitchen being all witty with Madison... what are you doing, Ephram? This is the exact thing you said you wouldn't do.

- Madison gets one phone about the band and Ephram flips out with jealousy and anger IN FRONT of Andy and Delia? Wow. Ephram is so out of control, selfish. I can't even handle this during the rewatch. I want to punch him. What a self-centered prick.

- Andy telling them he should have prevented them from doing this disaster six months ago is SO TRUE. Go, Andy. Everything he said, 100% correct.

- Thankfully Ephram is not a borderline jealous stalker with Amy like he is with Madison because honestly, during this scene he is like an obsessed stalker. I am appalled.

- THEN Ephram makes it all about him. Wow, getting mad at Andy for admitting he talked to Madison about him. Is Ephram serious here? He said it is like he is a child. News flash, Ephram, under the law you ARE a child and a child is all you have acted like for six months. Ephram is insufferable. Anyone who had an issue with Amy in S2 and not Ephram... I don't know what to say. By far the most problematic main character of S2 is Ephram. He has treated his father, his sister, both Bright and Amy like crap for the most part all because of an illegal relationship that caused him pain his father warned him it would.

- The Abbott dinner... Ahhh Harold asking Bright how much more rejection can he stand was so hurtful even if Harold clearly cares about him in this scene.

- Why is Madison working with Delia on math? Why hasn't she FINALLY done the right thing and permanently left the Browns so everyone can get on with their lives, especially Delia?

- A ten year old little girl in Delia is the one who had to handle the unhealthy toxicity and fire Madison. This scene is all anyone needs to see to understand how borderline mentally abusive this situation has been for Delia for six whole months.

- Harold is still so pissed at Andy. Yes it was Amy, Harold, but you’re still overreacting.

- Mrs. Hart... Amy mentions she hasn’t talked to Laynie since the fight. Man. Mrs. Hart had no idea and doesn’t remember as usual.

- Amy throwing away the medication was interesting. I’m not sure how much I love what might be symbolized about antidepressants but I do like Amy feeling better. Love seeing her smile.

- Andy/Ephram scene... no secrets again, oh man. Andy’s speech about pain/letting go was good.

- Harold showing up for Bright at the college and his words was beautiful.

- Ephram and Madison, my God, get over it already. I AM SO SICK OF THIS DISGUSTING RELATIONSHIP.

Thoughts after watching

This is a big part of the episode:

Quote:
DR. BROWN: Yes, we do. I'm sorry if I have to put my foot down, but I should have done this six months ago.
^ Indeed. This toxic relationship that negatively affected endless people never should’ve happened in the first place. There was zero benefit to this relationship. It was a disaster from start to finish. This episode blows me away how the attempt is to show Ephram and Madison having something together. They did NOT. I think Berlanti was hitting home the first crush/first sex sort of thing for Ephram as well as setting up Madisongate. But Ephram/Madison never convinced to me that they were actually in love. Madison and the whole "oh I am so heartbroken that it's too hard to be around you" stuff was a joke. She was embarrassed to be seen with him, she never acted like she loved him. That goodbye is dumb and never connected with the actual relationship they had. For the most part they seemed awkward and uncomfortable around each other. I realize they were trying to play up the "Ephram's first time" stuff but didn't have the effect it was trying to have. Ephram was obsessed, and pretty much bi-polar the entire time. This episode he looked like a jealous stalker ex. One minute he's hiding his feelings and acting all calm and trying to convince Andy that he can handle Madison on a platonic level and the next minute he's flipping out over a phone conversation his ex-girlfriend is having with a band mate. Wow. Like I said, I’m glad he was never like that with Amy. It was poisonous Madison only. Delia was the most mature one in that whole situation. Delia is literally the one that put an end to the madness. A little girl did this. That goodbye scene at Madison’s door was ridiculous but at least it is finally over.

I was so proud of Bright in this one. He handled the college rejection letters so perfectly. I am sorry Ephram was making it worse but thankfully he blew up at him and did go to A&M. Harold showing up was so perfect. I loved how realistic the storyline was. In real life, you do have to pay for bad behavior and mistakes. Nothing instantly gets better just because you learned and want it to. It takes time. Classic Everwood portraying such realness that everyone can relate to.

Amy’s storyline was so great. Emily was fabulous in that scene as Amy with Rose. I had chills watching how great she was in that scene. I loved how concerned Amy was over hurting her family again should her depression get worse after officially getting off of the antidepressants. I thought Linda was great supporting her every step of the way. It was so sad seeing Mrs. Hart. We found out once again Laynie is ignored. Amy, yes, please call Laynie. Like I said, as a psychologist the antidepressant symbolism I could write a book on. I don’t necessarily love the insinuation that being on antidepressants is bad. In Amy’s case, her depression was situational. She’s more than ready to try and go off of them. But with someone like Mrs. Hart she’s having a tougher time. It was great how Amy recognized she should have the strength and courage to go off of the medication. I just kind of wish we would have seen a scenario where someone just has depression, not due to a tragedy or death of a loved one. There are plenty of people who are living happy lives and suddenly the chemicals inside their brains stop working right and they need to go on an antidepressant to balance things out. This wasn’t really addressed on the show but then again that is not the story they were telling either. But in Amy’s case, she was ready due to temporary situational depression. I find it interesting that at the party “Colin” got her to get over him and it was Colin’s mom who assisted in her having the courage to get off of the antidepressants. Last thing on the antidepressants… I didn’t like the insinuation that Mrs. Hart is somehow using Paxil as a crutch. It's not an addictive hardcore drug. It's a medication meant to treat chemical imbalances. Mrs. Hart obviously is having a tougher time. Like I said, for some people depression just happens like diabetes. Just like you treat diabetes, you treat depression as well with medication to correct the imbalance.

Harold still ticked at Andy is shocking. I can see both sides of it but overall I am more on Andy’s side. I really thought Harold should have forgiven him for sure once Andy apologized again at the bar. But it wasn’t meant to be.

The Andy/Nina scene at the beginning was beautiful. I might not like Nina so pro-Harold there but you see how at ease and comfortable they are with each other... they tell it like it is, they are meant to be and I love these two.

The moments Amy had with both Rose and Linda moved me so much. Emily VanCamp was showcasing her acting chops flawlessly. She blows me away. This woman is so gifted.

Delia was the true Superhero of this episode. It took a ten year old little girl who has suffered the loss of her mother rather recently to permanently put a stop to the toxicity her brother was causing by being with an adult woman he sacrificed all of his relationships for because he was obsessed. Delia is the Superhero here, she finally concluded a terrible situation that was so unhealthy and disgusting.

Love this quote:

Quote:
NARRATOR: A heart is a fragile thing. That's why we protect them so vigorously, give them away so rarely and why it means so much when we do. Some hearts are more fragile than others. Purer somehow. Like crystal in a world of glass, even the way they shatter is beautiful.
Looking forward to the next one!

Last edited by jediwands; 11-06-2021 at 06:59 AM
Old 11-06-2021, 10:38 AM
Administrator

I thought that this was another excellent episode which followed a theme of looking back and trying to cling on the something that you weren’t quite ready to let go of. For Ephram, he looked back one last time at his relationship with Madison, for Amy, she looked back one last time at the medication that she felt she needed to get through her depression, and for Bright, he looked back one last time at his hopes for getting into college.

I liked the opening scene as Irv, as the narrator, talked about the winds of changes, and those winds were really prevalent in this episode.

I thought it was funny watching Delia glare at Ephram for the fact that Madison was gone and replaced by a very strict and old Mrs. Hammerhill, as Andy joked about not having to worry about Ephram dating her, but through all this, the one who really suffered the most was Delia.

I liked how Andy vented to Nina about how unhappy Ephram was since he broke up with Madison, but he never should have let them date in the first place, so he had no one but himself to blame for the situation that he and his family were in.

I hated seeing the tension between Andy and Harold as they both pointedly ignored each other, and I didn’t really like that Nina told Andy that he should apologize to Harold as he really didn’t do anything wrong.

I felt sorry for Bright when he had to hear Ephram prattle on about Madison while he was anxiously awaiting to hear if he got into any of the colleges that he had applied for, and I also hated seeing Ephram so obsessed with Madison again after the progress we thought that he had made in the last episode.

I felt bad for Delia as Mrs. Hammerhill refused to play with her, as Ephram and Madison’s selfishness had put her in a position where she had to deal with a babysitter that she didn’t like at all.

I felt so bad for Bright as he received the news that Notre Dame had rejected him, and throughout this episode, poor Bright continued to receive disappointing news as his hopes of getting into any college vanished.

I hated seeing Ephram go to Madison with the excuse that Delia was upset with her being gone, once again using his sister for his own selfish purposes, setting the scenario for more heartache for them both as she agreed to return as Delia’s babysitter.

I liked seeing Amy and Linda practicing relaxation techniques as Linda told her she felt that she was ready to go off her Anti-Depression medication, but as we later saw in the episode, Amy didn’t quite feel ready to move on from the medicine that had helped her.

Andy looked shocked and chagrined when he saw Madison back in his house, and he warned Madison that there was a fine line between maturity and stupidity and he wasn’t sure which side of the line that her and Ephram were on.

I loved seeing Amy offer to help Rose cook Bright’s favorite meal as Rose told Amy about Bright not getting into Notre Dame and I loved how Rose embraced her and told her that she missed her so much.

The interaction between Ephram and Madison was so strained and awkward as Delia told Madison that “if he’s sad and you’re sad, why don’t you both get back together?” and when Madison said that they were in different places in their lives, Delia said “but you’re both here,” which was a really good point.

I hated seeing Ephram talk obsessively about Madison once again to Bright, and I was glad that Bright finally told him to shut up and that his life was falling apart while he was “moaning about some stupid chick” as he was devastated about not getting into Notre Dame.

I was glad that Ephram finally saw past his own selfishness and encouraged Bright to not give up on getting into a college and he encouraged him to go and see the person at Colorado A & M who had sent him a rejection letter to tell him how much he wanted to get into the school, telling him that he had the gift of gab and he was better in person than he was on paper, which was true.

I hated seeing Ephram so unhappy at the dinner table as he expressed his jealousy over Jay, as Andy told them both that he should have put his foot down six months ago, and that he had warned them both about what would happen, and he wished that “someone” (meaning Madison) would have listened, prompting a temper tantrum from Ephram as he accused them both of going behind his back.

I liked how Bright told his parents that he was going to Colorado A & M to try and convince them to let him into their school, but I didn’t like how Harold discouraged him, and Bright called him out for not supporting him.

I loved the talk that Delia and Madison had and how Delia told Madison that she was her best friend and that she loved her, but she loved Ephram too and that since her was her brother and they had been through so much together that she had to love him more, and that when Madison was there it made him really, really sad and she didn’t want to see him that sad anymore and so she would have to let her go.

I found the scene between Harold and Andy to be sad as Andy tried to make amends but Harold still refused to talk to him, telling Andy that he had a choice to make when he agreed to prescribe Amy birth control pills and he (Harold) had made one as well.

The scene between Amy and Mrs. Hart was so sad as she saw that Mrs. Hart wasn’t even communicating with Laynie as her and her husband were still so focused on mourning Colin, but it gave Amy the encouragement she needed to throw her Anti-Depressive medication away and start living her life again, and I also loved the encouragement that Linda had given her earlier.

Ephram looked shocked and angry as he saw Delia with Mrs. Hammerhill and Delia told him that Madison was gone, and as always, Ephram confronted Andy who told him that Delia had fired Madison because she didn’t want him to be sad anymore. I was glad that Andy had a heart-to-heart talk with Ephram as he told him that with many of his patients’ pain was better than nothing, but there came a point where it was time to move on, and in an ironic statement, he promised that there would be no more secrets between them, a promise which he was soon to break in a big way.

I felt so bad for Bright when he was rejected by the admissions person at Colorado A & M, but I loved it when Bright walked out of the admissions office and saw Harold waiting for him, and the expression of joy on his face when he saw Harold was wonderful, and I loved the encouragement and support that Harold gave him.

I loved the final scene between Ephram and Madison as he said goodbye to her and he told her that she changed his life, but he couldn’t do the friends thing with her because they were never really friends, they were just “in love” as Madison said. I really, really wish that their story had ended right then and there, and it should have ended then and there, but unfortunately for them and all of us, it didn't end then and there as the Madisongate pregnancy reveal loomed on the horizon.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode as the major characters looked back one last time on events and people in their lives, and I liked the closing statement by Irv that some hearts are more fragile than others.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediseermic (View Post)
Thoughts while watching

- Delia is so mad at Ephram for messing up the Madison babysitter situation. Her dirty looks are profound. Delia is the only one who truly suffered during this toxic joke of a relationship. Delia is the little girl who endured the most. It is so wrong no one was looking out for her.
Ironic since she is the one who ended up looking out for Ephram and considering his feelings.

Quote:
- Andy/Nina scene at the diner... Andy shouldn’t worry about this.
Nina has always given the best advice. It's interesting that she is so wise with everyone else and not so much with herself.

Quote:
- Oh Harold, you have no right being mad at Andy. Stop.
I can't believe how deep Harold's anger and resentment continue to be! I can't remember what happens to thaw this anger.

Quote:
- Kind of shocked Nina is insinuating that Andy should be apologizing to Harold like he did something seriously wrong. She is right that Amy is his daughter but Andy is absolutely correct that he did the proper thing as a physician.
Nina knows that Andy is right, but in situations like this someone should step up and apologize or nothing will be resolved.
Quote:
- Ephram is back in hyper-mode once again obsessed with Madison while Bright is so annoyed. Poor Bright. Bright has to also watch a friend excited he got into USC. Ephram asking Bright if Madison thinks about him is so irritating.
I detest this side of Ephram!! Poor Bright who's life is falling apart has to listen and listen and listen to Ephram's woe is me whining! I am so glad he finally told Ephram to SHUT UP!!!

Quote:
- No Notre Dame for Bright... Harold and Rose handled the news perfectly.
Notre Dame was a stretch. I can't believe they even considered it.

Quote:
- So ridiculous Madison is acting like she can’t see Ephram, it hurts. My God, she was embarrassed to be seen with him when together and wanted him away from her space multiple times. Now it’s too hard. LOL.
I honestly can't figure Madison and her feelings out.
Quote:
- I love that Linda does breathing/meditation exercises, especially with Amy.
Everyone should have an Aunt like Linda. She is perfect for Amy right now.

-
Quote:
As a psychologist I have many thoughts on antidepressants and stopping/starting. I mean, Amy has clinical depression, but it’s more of a situational depression, so it does make sense seeing how she does without. Of course it can’t be emphasized enough that some people have true chemical imbalances that need medication long-term.
It was such an eye opener for Amy when she saw Mrs Hart who is so messed up. So messed up that she doesn't even remember speaking to her daughter....whom I wished Amy had called!
Quote:
- I love how Andy essentially makes fun of Madison right to her face how ridiculous she is for returning.
It's about time he took a firm stand on the situation!
Quote:
- The cards scene between Madison and Delia and then Ephram walking in and the tension between Madison and Ephram is so pathetically uncalled for. I cannot believe that they’re allowing Delia to witness this ONCE again. Delia literally asked Madison if they’re not together because Ephram is a kid. This is all kinds of disgusting and vile and Delia should not be in the middle of this crap. Wow.
I can't believe how ridiculous Ephram was here....having a hissy fit because Madison got a phone call! Ridiculous.

Quote:
- Madison calling Delia “sweetie” during the sick conversation is even more vile.
I caught that, too! Madison calls both Delia and Ephram Sweetie.

Quote:
- Bright yelling at Ephram to SHUT UP is what most of the audience has wanted Ephram to do for 90% of the season.
Amen to that!!

Quote:
- Bright to Ephram: Dude you got dumped, get over it.

-
Quote:
The Abbott dinner... Ahhh Harold asking Bright how much more rejection can he stand was so hurtful even if Harold clearly cares about him in this scene.
Harold seems to always put his foot in his mouth before he comes to his senses regarding Bright. I am so happy that he came to the University to support Bright.

Quote:
- Amy throwing away the medication was interesting. I’m not sure how much I love what might be symbolized about antidepressants but I do like Amy feeling better. Love seeing her smile.
I think that when she saw how bad Mrs. Hart was she realized that she is okay and can handle life without them.

Quote:
- Harold showing up for Bright at the college and his words was beautiful.
I just loved this.

I am so glad that Ephram finally broke up with Madison at the end. I know she's coming back, but at least she won't be on Ephram's mind for awhile so that he can concentrate on Amy and his friendship with Bright. Bright needs a break!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I thought that this was another excellent episode which followed a theme of looking back and trying to cling on the something that you weren’t quite ready to let go of. For Ephram, he looked back one last time at his relationship with Madison, for Amy, she looked back one last time at the medication that she felt she needed to get through her depression, and for Bright, he looked back one last time at his hopes for getting into college.
You always find a continual theme in these episodes, Jerry. So true. I am so sorry that Bright has to look back on his plans. I really feel for him.

Quote:
I thought it was funny watching Delia glare at Ephram for the fact that Madison was gone and replaced by a very strict and old Mrs. Hammerhill, as Andy joked about not having to worry about Ephram dating her, but through all this, the one who really suffered the most was Delia.
I would hate to be on the receiving end of one of Delia's angry stares.

Quote:
I felt bad for Delia as Mrs. Hammerhill refused to play with her, as Ephram and Madison’s selfishness had put her in a position where she had to deal with a babysitter that she didn’t like at all.
Delia was stuck with Miss Violet and now Mrs. Hammerhill!! I don't want to know what was in that Tuna surprise!!

Quote:
I loved seeing Amy offer to help Rose cook Bright’s favorite meal as Rose told Amy about Bright not getting into Notre Dame and I loved how Rose embraced her and told her that she missed her so much.
That was a beautiful scene. The depression was heartbreaking for Amy, just as heartbreaking for the Abbotts who pretty much lost their daughter. This cooking scene was like Amy coming back to life!

Quote:
I loved the talk that Delia and Madison had and how Delia told Madison that she was her best friend and that she loved her, but she loved Ephram too and that since her was her brother and they had been through so much together that she had to love him more, and that when Madison was there it made him really, really sad and she didn’t want to see him that sad anymore and so she would have to let her go.
This was such a beautiful scene and so well acted by Delia. What a wise little girl. She realized that Ephram was really the important one here and she wanted to spare him sadness.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 11-06-2021 at 03:12 PM
Old 11-06-2021, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
You definitely have a talent for finding these themes, Jerry. That is so true! Even Bright, it is subtle but so true. You can tell he is kicking himself for all the precious time he wasted when he should have been serious with school. Amy, she is looking back on the "damage" she caused, even if she had situational clinical depression. Even Mrs. Hart is stuck in the present because she keeps looking back at the past but her issue is she can't stop looking back which is one of the keys to Amy's storyline.

Quote:
I liked the opening scene as Irv, as the narrator, talked about the winds of changes, and those winds were really prevalent in this episode.
The thought and layers that went into every Everwood episode is remarkable. I have often said Everwood reminds me of Harry Potter because there's so many detailed layers that might not make sense initially but will later. Everything is creatively tied together.

Quote:
Delia was furious. That is why the twist at the end was so sweet. Delia was mad and as we know, she had every reason to be mad, and yet it was Delia who sacrificed her feelings for Madison as a babysitter for the love she had for her brother who has been very selfish and uncaring overall. Yet, Delia still loved her brother enough to do the the right thing... at age 10. Remarkable little girl, is Delia.

Quote:
I liked how Andy vented to Nina about how unhappy Ephram was since he broke up with Madison, but he never should have let them date in the first place, so he had no one but himself to blame for the situation that he and his family were in.
100%. He had the power in the beginning even if both Ephram and Madison didn't care about his power. He still had it and had he pushed longer and put his foot down like he even said in this episode, they never would have gotten together. Ephram might have been mad at him for months but so what? The short-term and long-term consequences of Ephram and Madison would have been avoided and as we know, it would have been golden.

Quote:
I hated seeing the tension between Andy and Harold as they both pointedly ignored each other, and I didn’t really like that Nina told Andy that he should apologize to Harold as he really didn’t do anything wrong.
I was shocked Nina was so pro-Harold. I understand Amy is Harold's daughter so Nina is right on there, but I feel like there should have been more to what Nina was saying. She should have included in there that even if Andy did the right thing professionally, since it was Amy, maybe he could have found a way to either tell Harold or indirectly give him a heads up.

What I find interesting is that Harold hasn't gone after Edna for this. He would have to know since Edna works with Andy, she was aware of Amy going to Andy for birth control. It is interesting Harold hasn't confronted Edna.

Quote:
I felt sorry for Bright when he had to hear Ephram prattle on about Madison while he was anxiously awaiting to hear if he got into any of the colleges that he had applied for, and I also hated seeing Ephram so obsessed with Madison again after the progress we thought that he had made in the last episode.
Bright had the patience of a saint putting up with Ephram's immaturity and obsessive behavior.

Quote:
This was all Ephram/Madison. It's really too bad between Rose, Edna, Nina, and even Irv, they couldn't be around for both Delia and Sam. Where is Sam while Nina is working? That is where Delia should be too. It would certainly be better than Madison's mug around and certainly, Mrs. Hammerhill... that name in itself shows she was rigid. But then again, she seemed to soften later on which was nice to see. Bye, Madison. LOL.

Quote:
I felt so bad for Bright as he received the news that Notre Dame had rejected him, and throughout this episode, poor Bright continued to receive disappointing news as his hopes of getting into any college vanished.
It was such a slow, agonizing time period for Bright. The insecurity, fear, disappointing, sadness, frustration, anger, kept building for him.

Quote:
I hated seeing Ephram go to Madison with the excuse that Delia was upset with her being gone, once again using his sister for his own selfish purposes, setting the scenario for more heartache for them both as she agreed to return as Delia’s babysitter.
I wanted to put my fist firmly into the TV screen just to make the madness stop.

Quote:
I liked seeing Amy and Linda practicing relaxation techniques as Linda told her she felt that she was ready to go off her Anti-Depression medication, but as we later saw in the episode, Amy didn’t quite feel ready to move on from the medicine that had helped her.
Both Marcia and Emily are so talented, this scene was incredible. Even Marcia gave Linda this really soothing voice, it was so perfect. I loved finding out Amy was doing relaxation techniques at home.

Quote:
Andy looked shocked and chagrined when he saw Madison back in his house, and he warned Madison that there was a fine line between maturity and stupidity and he wasn’t sure which side of the line that her and Ephram were on.
He made fun of her there, I liked it.

Quote:
Powerful scene.

Quote:
The interaction between Ephram and Madison was so strained and awkward as Delia told Madison that “if he’s sad and you’re sad, why don’t you both get back together?” and when Madison said that they were in different places in their lives, Delia said “but you’re both here,” which was a really good point.
Delia is a Sage. Madison and Ephram are both stupid when it comes to this situation.

Quote:
I hated seeing Ephram talk obsessively about Madison once again to Bright, and I was glad that Bright finally told him to shut up and that his life was falling apart while he was “moaning about some stupid chick” as he was devastated about not getting into Notre Dame.
It was pathetic. Bright was so patient, he had to explode at some point. Bright even said Ephram had been specifically irritating him for one week straight, so we didn't even see the entire one week. My God, imagine how annoying Ephram was to Bright.

Quote:
I was glad that Ephram finally saw past his own selfishness and encouraged Bright to not give up on getting into a college and he encouraged him to go and see the person at Colorado A & M who had sent him a rejection letter to tell him how much he wanted to get into the school, telling him that he had the gift of gab and he was better in person than he was on paper, which was true.
This was really great.

Quote:
I hated seeing Ephram so unhappy at the dinner table as he expressed his jealousy over Jay, as Andy told them both that he should have put his foot down six months ago, and that he had warned them both about what would happen, and he wished that “someone” (meaning Madison) would have listened, prompting a temper tantrum from Ephram as he accused them both of going behind his back.
This is actually one of my least favorite Ephram and Madison scenes and they were broken up. Ephram acted like a jealous obsessed out of control, stalker. My God. He was awful, so out of control. Really, stupid Madison didn't do anything wrong there. It was obvious she was getting information related to her band, even if she's a terrible singer. I cannot believe what Ephram not only caused as a result, but once again poor Delia and even Andy had to witness the unhealthy behavior. If anyone, I don't care who it is, was that jealous, accusatory and controlling with me, I would be so ticked off. To be honest, Madison was calm there, she should have yelled right back because he deserved it. I say this and hate Madison with a passion.

Quote:
I liked how Bright told his parents that he was going to Colorado A & M to try and convince them to let him into their school, but I didn’t like how Harold discouraged him, and Bright called him out for not supporting him.
Bright was growing up right in front of the audience.

Quote:
Delia.

Quote:
I found the scene between Harold and Andy to be sad as Andy tried to make amends but Harold still refused to talk to him, telling Andy that he had a choice to make when he agreed to prescribe Amy birth control pills and he (Harold) had made one as well.
I think Harold should have forgiven him at the bar when Andy apologized.

Quote:
The scene between Amy and Mrs. Hart was so sad as she saw that Mrs. Hart wasn’t even communicating with Laynie as her and her husband were still so focused on mourning Colin, but it gave Amy the encouragement she needed to throw her Anti-Depressive medication away and start living her life again, and I also loved the encouragement that Linda had given her earlier.
This scene will always stick out to me when I think of this season. It's very powerful and emotionally moving. Like I said, as a psychologist, it might not be perfect given the medication content but it was still a very important scene for Amy.

Quote:
Ephram looked shocked and angry as he saw Delia with Mrs. Hammerhill and Delia told him that Madison was gone, and as always, Ephram confronted Andy who told him that Delia had fired Madison because she didn’t want him to be sad anymore. I was glad that Andy had a heart-to-heart talk with Ephram as he told him that with many of his patients’ pain was better than nothing, but there came a point where it was time to move on, and in an ironic statement, he promised that there would be no more secrets between them, a promise which he was soon to break in a big way.
That was a nice scene overall but only when you view it in the present. When you think of the future that scene is heartbreaking.

Quote:
I felt so bad for Bright when he was rejected by the admissions person at Colorado A & M, but I loved it when Bright walked out of the admissions office and saw Harold waiting for him, and the expression of joy on his face when he saw Harold was wonderful, and I loved the encouragement and support that Harold gave him.
What a bad twist... you see Bright happily saying goodbye to that guy thinking maybe Bright made some progress. Nope, not right now he did not. It was very realistic though, and Harold being there for Bright was so beautiful.

Quote:
I loved the final scene between Ephram and Madison as he said goodbye to her and he told her that she changed his life, but he couldn’t do the friends thing with her because they were never really friends, they were just “in love” as Madison said. I really, really wish that their story had ended right then and there, and it should have ended then and there, but unfortunately for them and all of us, it didn't end then and there as the Madisongate pregnancy reveal loomed on the horizon.
I was very disgusted by this scene. I do not think it made sense considering what we viewed throughout their entire joke of a relationship. They were not in love, it was all lies and I found it irritating. Ephram wants to actually look back on this disaster? He was in pain and obsessed the entire time. I hated every minute of this scene, especially when you accurately mentioned it doesn't stop there... their sick relationship does, thankfully, but Madison does not disappear and she causes chaos for every single main character and relationship very soon and will linger for the rest of the series in some form.

Quote:
Overall, I enjoyed this episode as the major characters looked back one last time on events and people in their lives, and I liked the closing statement by Irv that some hearts are more fragile than others.
I loved Irv's words at the beginning and the end, it was a nice "book" to read.

Last edited by jediwands; 11-06-2021 at 05:07 PM
Old 11-06-2021, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Ironic since she is the one who ended up looking out for Ephram and considering his feelings.
Yes, it was a beautiful twist.

Quote:
Nina has always given the best advice. It's interesting that she is so wise with everyone else and not so much with herself.
That is so true!

Quote:
I can't believe how deep Harold's anger and resentment continue to be! I can't remember what happens to thaw this anger.
I know but only because I read the content from the next episode.

Quote:
Nina knows that Andy is right, but in situations like this someone should step up and apologize or nothing will be resolved.
That is very true. She even mentioned their friendship just needs to be repaired, period.

Quote:
I detest this side of Ephram!! Poor Bright who's life is falling apart has to listen and listen and listen to Ephram's woe is me whining! I am so glad he finally told Ephram to SHUT UP!!!

Quote:
Notre Dame was a stretch. I can't believe they even considered it.
I got a sports scholarship from Notre Dame actually and turned it down. So I am aware of what it takes to get in. You are so right. Unless they were considering that Bright could eventually play football.

Quote:
I honestly can't figure Madison and her feelings out.
That was Madison from start to finish. Passive, never doing the right thing, confusing, and irritating.

Quote:
Everyone should have an Aunt like Linda. She is perfect for Amy right now.
Yes!

Quote:
It was such an eye opener for Amy when she saw Mrs Hart who is so messed up. So messed up that she doesn't even remember speaking to her daughter....whom I wished Amy had called!
Absolutely!

Like where has Laynie been? Why isn't she in school? Was Laynie avoiding Amy when she was trying to deal with her other horrible friends? I HATE how Laynie has been so tossed aside. Mrs. Hart gets more storyline in the end.

Quote:
It's about time he took a firm stand on the situation!
Yes!

Quote:
I can't believe how ridiculous Ephram was here....having a hissy fit because Madison got a phone call! Ridiculous.
Like I said, when I am taking Madison's side something is wrong.

Quote:
I caught that, too! Madison calls both Delia and Ephram Sweetie.

Quote:
Amen to that!!

-
Harold seems to always put his foot in his mouth before he comes to his senses regarding Bright. I am so happy that he came to the University to support Bright.
So true about Harold but in the end, Harold always does the right thing.

Quote:
I think that when she saw how bad Mrs. Hart was she realized that she is okay and can handle life without them.
100%.

Quote:
I just loved this.

I am so glad that Ephram finally broke up with Madison at the end. I know she's coming back, but at least she won't be on Ephram's mind for awhile so that he can concentrate on Amy and his friendship with Bright. Bright needs a break!
Exactly.

The excellent part to the situation is Ephram and Madison ARE done though. Thank God. Ephram has zero lingering feelings for her after this episode. I mean, he mentions one or two things but overall, the second he realizes Amy has feelings and wants to finally be with him, he has Amy hearts and couldn't care less about Madison.

Last edited by jediwands; 11-06-2021 at 05:21 PM
Old 11-07-2021, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

There was a part in the episode that had me pause and I’m not sure why… could be because I’m so sensitive to the gun topic (I loathe them):

Quote:
Bright shows Ephram the letter from A&M.;]

EPHRAM: Oh, man. I'm sorry.

BRIGHT: Ah, it's cool. I mean, I'll figure something out. You know, maybe do the military thing. Shave my head. Shoot some stuff.
As a liberal, you’re never going to have me pro-war in any situation (I’m also anti-guns) yet I feel like this was kind of a weird line. Many don’t enter the military to shave their heads and shoot “some stuff.” I don’t know why but this line bothers me this rewatch. It might be a combination of loathing guns and war, but at the same time, it feels degrading to those who do serve… it feels like an insulting depiction of why one would enter the military… no other option, and loving guns.

But then again, I might be too sensitive. I should just read it as a Bright line since it is something he would say.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by jediwands; 11-07-2021 at 08:52 AM
Old 11-07-2021, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

EPHRAM WAS INSUFFERABLE THIS EPISODE GUYSSSSS. UGH. I'm so tired of this Madison crap. They broke up last episode why the hell are we subjected to seeing her again?!?!?!? No. Do not want. And Ephram kept saying "we're the adults here" and "you were treating me like a child" and i wanted to scream YOU ARE A CHILD!!! Even Delia said it. GAWDDDDDD. His blow up at dinner about the band was so immature.

Like, Madison is a decently nice person, her scene with Delia was sweet but girl is misguided and finally shes making the right choice by staying away from him. Please dont come back lol. When Delia "broke up" with her I LOLed.

Loved seeing Amy have a nice time with her mom. I see what she is saying about her pills and its sad to me that she is worried she will be depressed again and hurt her family. Like wow, it would be nice if people could be more understanding of her depression.

Poor Bright dealing with college rejection but I do think Harold is right that it's not the end of the world and he can just go to a community college for a year? I mean this is the consequence of not working hard in school...

I love Andy but him basically telling Harold to just "get over it" isnt really the right way to go about wanting someone to forgive you. He should give Harold space and then try a genuine apology if he really wants to be friends again. I still think Harold over-reacted and if I were Andy I wouldn't bother apologizing because if he REALLY wants the friendship back he might have to just suck up his pride.

Top 5:
1. Amy
2. Linda
3. Delia
4. Harold
5. Bright

this ones kinda based on who annoyed me the least lmao.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
EPHRAM WAS INSUFFERABLE THIS EPISODE GUYSSSSS. UGH.
Right?! I have never been so annoyed at him like I am this rewatch. He is just like you perfectly stated, insufferable! It's not often I feel sorry for Madison (since I hate her lol) but when he freaked out at the kitchen table just because she got a phone call from her band AND they were broken up I couldn't believe it. It might be because in this day and age that behavior simply isn't tolerated anymore, unhealthy, controlling behavior is thankfully noticed a lot more in present day. But man, I couldn't believe how he behaved in that scene. Let alone how much he was torturing Bright.

Quote:
I'm so tired of this Madison crap. They broke up last episode why the hell are we subjected to seeing her again?!?!?!? No. Do not want. And Ephram kept saying "we're the adults here" and "you were treating me like a child" and i wanted to scream YOU ARE A CHILD!!! Even Delia said it. GAWDDDDDD. His blow up at dinner about the band was so immature.
Delia is a 10 year old girl and has more strength, wisdom and calm than Ephram or Madison. It was unreal, that entire scene! Yes, precisely what I wanted to say to Ephram too! Dude, you ARE a child, you idiot, and your own father predicted all of this was going to happen so stop already and give it up. Man.

Quote:
Like, Madison is a decently nice person, her scene with Delia was sweet but girl is misguided and finally shes making the right choice by staying away from him. Please dont come back lol. When Delia "broke up" with her I LOLed.
Exactly! Finally Madison does the right thing and it essentially took Delia to make her see the light and go there. I think that scene was meant to be emotional and even a little sad. I laughed right with you. I am an Empath and things like this, on the screen or in real life, should make me emotional. Nope, not in this case, I laughed like crazy and just felt relieved Delia was putting a stop to the madness.

Quote:
Loved seeing Amy have a nice time with her mom. I see what she is saying about her pills and its sad to me that she is worried she will be depressed again and hurt her family. Like wow, it would be nice if people could be more understanding of her depression.
So damn true. This entire depression storyline bothers me even if Emily acted it out flawlessly. STILL, Amy feels like her clinical, situational depression she could not help is a burden. Do people feel guilty when they have arthritis or diabetes? No, they are medical conditions. Well, so is clinical depression. Amy couldn't help what was going on and she shouldn't feel past guilt or future fears about this diagnosis. Unfortunately, those around her made her feel this way which continues to blow me away since she has an aunt, father and grandmother in the medical field. Linda helped overall though once she finally got on an antidepressant which is good. But the guilt and shame Amy felt in the beginning continues to piss me off since her father alone should have known better. Oh well, thankfully things are much better now in the storyline.

Quote:
Poor Bright dealing with college rejection but I do think Harold is right that it's not the end of the world and he can just go to a community college for a year? I mean this is the consequence of not working hard in school...
I completely agree, especially since many do this for financial reasons too. You can save some money and like Harold said you still get that diploma from the college of your choice after transferring and graduating from there.

Quote:
I love Andy but him basically telling Harold to just "get over it" isnt really the right way to go about wanting someone to forgive you. He should give Harold space and then try a genuine apology if he really wants to be friends again. I still think Harold over-reacted and if I were Andy I wouldn't bother apologizing because if he REALLY wants the friendship back he might have to just suck up his pride.
Andy was being really stubborn, wasn't he? Like Nina said, just getting the friendship back on track is all the matters. I thought Harold was going to accept his apology at the bar but no dice. Yes, Andy could have just waited or made the apology at the bar a little more heartfelt too.

Quote:
Top 5:
1. Amy
2. Linda
3. Delia
4. Harold
5. Bright

this ones kinda based on who annoyed me the least lmao.

I love how Ephram doesn't even exist and rightfully so.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediseermic (View Post)
There was a part in the episode that had me pause and I’m not sure why… could be because I’m so sensitive to the gun topic (I loathe them):

As a liberal, you’re never going to have me pro-war in any situation (I’m also anti-guns) yet I feel like this was kind of a weird line. Many don’t enter the military to shave their heads and shoot “some stuff.” I don’t know why but this line bothers me this rewatch. It might be a combination of loathing guns and war, but at the same time, it feels degrading to those who do serve… it feels like an insulting depiction of why one would enter the military… no other option, and loving guns.

But then again, I might be too sensitive. I should just read it as a Bright line since it is something he would say.

Any thoughts?
For some reason, I missed that exchange. If I had heard it, I would have felt the same way you did, Michelle.. I respect the military and am very grateful for their sacrifice, but I don't care for the way that Bright was presenting this option. It was insulting.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
For some reason, I missed that exchange. If I had heard it, I would have felt the same way you did, Michelle.. I respect the military and am very grateful for their sacrifice, but I don't care for the way that Bright was presenting this option. It was insulting.
Right? It was really bizarre and annoying. I actually felt uncomfortable after hearing it and had to rewind it again because I’m like, “Did he just say that?”
Old 11-08-2021, 01:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
EPHRAM WAS INSUFFERABLE THIS EPISODE GUYSSSSS. UGH. I'm so tired of this Madison crap. They broke up last episode why the hell are we subjected to seeing her again?!?!?!? No. Do not want. And Ephram kept saying "we're the adults here" and "you were treating me like a child" and i wanted to scream YOU ARE A CHILD!!! Even Delia said it. GAWDDDDDD. His blow up at dinner about the band was so immature.
Ephram was an absolute BABY this whole episode. Thank God Bright and Delia put him in his place. He needed someone to Slap him and bring him back to his senses!

Quote:
Yeah, it wasn't the end of the world and Harold was trying to encourage Bright. But....You have to feel for Bright. He was a top notch athlete who depended on and would have gotten a sports scholarship if he was able to play. Although he didn't work hard for 3 years he did really apply himself senior year. I can't blame him for being extremely discouraged and disappointed.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Ephram was an absolute BABY this whole episode. Thank God Bright and Delia put him in his place. He needed someone to Slap him and bring him back to his senses!
You know I love Ephram, otherwise I wouldn't diehard ship Ephram/Amy, but this was his worst episode by far. I watch and want to punch him, but also smack both Andy (for allowing it in the first place, he even said he should have put his foot down from the start) and Madison for KNOWING how it was all going to turn out yet she was too passive and stupid to do the right thing multiple times.

I also think this affects me personally because I was involved in this type of relationship in high school... not illegal. But my boyfriend (you know who I am talking about) was very jealous and attempted to be very controlling. Brought back bad memories before I eventually dumped him because I couldn't take it anymore. Not saying Ephram was controlling throughout but he was obsessive and hyper and that's very similar to my situation and this guy was a childhood friend and my parents knew his parents. I guess it was like Amy and Colin in a way. Of course we all know why it didn't work out (in addition to his stalker-like behavior).

But yes, when I see something similar I get triggered. How Ephram acted in the bar embarrassing Madison... that is how my ex was with me when I had the audacity to want to attend high school soccer and basketball team parties which was an obligation as captain of both teams. But apparently I was doing something wrong because I wasn't 100% dropping everything for him.

You get the picture.

Quote:
Yeah, it wasn't the end of the world and Harold was trying to encourage Bright. But....You have to feel for Bright. He was a top notch athlete who depended on and would have gotten a sports scholarship if he was able to play. Although he didn't work hard for 3 years he did really apply himself senior year. I can't blame him for being extremely discouraged and disappointed.
Yeah, it also sucks he got into the fight with Tommy since that didn't help matters either.

Last edited by jediwands; 11-08-2021 at 03:40 PM
Reply   Post New Thread