Old 10-30-2021, 11:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 2.17 - Unfinished Business

Rewatch Overview

Unfinished Business

SUMMARY

Amy finally moves back home but finds that it's hard to return to her old life, especially when her parents learn about the birth control pills and her former friends are slow to welcome her back. Meanwhile, Ephram worries that Madison is going to break up with him; and Andy testifies as a character witness in Nina's battle for sole-custody for her son.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
April 5, 2004

WRITER
David Hudgins

DIRECTOR
Sandy Smolan

jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:19 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I just finished watching and let me tell you, I feel satisfied, happy, and content once again!

Why? EPHRAM/AMY.

Thoughts while watching

- Opening scene with the gorgeous Mountain View. Mountains = Special character you check in on every episode.

- Irv's words on "Strength" are so perfect. The theme of the episode was STRENGTH to get through the tough times and come out even stronger in the end.

- Awww, Amy is going home.

- Edna might cry... how often do we get Edna so emotional? She loves her Granddaughter.

- Amy’s comment about TiVo to Irv is cute.

- Tommy making fun of Amy going back is so vile. I still cannot figure out what his true feelings for Amy were.

- Sam is not easy but Nina would crumble if she lost him.

- Andy being there for both Nina and Sam is so great.

- I didn't know this but the actor who plays Carl was on Nip/Tuck.

- I love Bright/Ephram basketball scenes even if Bright always gives goofy advice.

- Bright avoiding Amy after she moves back? No, Bright.

- Ephram/Amy scene! Berlanti wastes zero time getting our couple back on the same page together.

- Ephram excited Amy/Tommy broke up is obvious, hee, but of course he asks her if she is OK at the same time.

- The eye contact between Ephram/Amy is golden. Never seen better.

- Carl, you suck, going after primary custody. You will never win.

- Linda's small conservative town comment and the odds of giving custody to a single gay father being a longshot is frustrating and true. She is right and Berlanti is speaking truth. Obviously Carl is a tool and doesn't deserve Sam but what Linda said is WHY I could NEVER EVER vote rotten Republican. This episode reminds us that at the heart of the Republican Party is hatred and cruelty. Appropriate illustration based on this storyline. Why should Carl's sexuality have anything to do with a custody battle? Republicans pathetically make it that way. It is vile and repulsive. So many Republicans claim they are Christian... really? You are full of hatred, you fools. Give me a break.

- Back to Ephram and Madison and Madison still not breaking up with him. Morons, right there. Notice after they "made up" she pulled him into a room for probably sex. Maybe that's when the baby was created.

- Amy’s friends are disgusting. Where IS Laynie? We find out later where she is but so ridiculous she is not around right now.

- Whenever I see Amy in a dance scene I am reminded of Emily being a professional dancer.

- Lawyer is good but again, what does Carl being gay have anything to do with this? I get it, I understand Everwood is a conservative town which is why she's playing this card but the point is.... in typical Everwood realistic fashion we are given a dose of sad reality. This is what hateful conservative towns are like.

- Ephram dragged Delia to get a gift for Madison. Maybe apologizing for torturing her all year long is a better activity?

- Mindy and her "Jailbait" comment, sorry but it is true. LOL.

- Amy has tons of stuff which is so cute. Of course they are emphasizing this so Harold can soon find the birth control but it's still super cute. There we go, Harold found the birth control.

- Amy’s friends are so awful. Where is Laynie?

- Andy/Nina scene is sizzling. When Nina said that nothing was keeping her in Everwood there was obvious romantic tension. Andy freaked out internally too. He didn't want to lose her, and they both understood their "friendship" has more going on even if neither can define it. At this point they’re not thinking about romantic feelings for each other but they also understand their friendship is a little unique. Their feelings and connection go beyond a typical friendship and they understand this even if they aren’t willing to define it specifically at this point.

- Amy was very calm and honest with her parents about the birth control. Good deal.

- More gross Ephram/Madison.

- Andy's speech in court was spectacular.

- Bright saves the day! What an awesome brother. He was honest with her (even if I wish he would have told her he understands she has/had Clinical Depression) and helped give his sister the STRENGTH to go to dance class and blow off her friends because they will eventually come around. Go Bright. This scene and the homecoming S1 scene are my two favorite Bright with Amy scenes.

- Ephram/Madison finally break up! Question: Everything lame Madison said... did Andy not warn both Ephram and Madison that this exact thing would happen? It wouldn't work, and the age difference (as far as where they both are in life, especially with her being an adult) would not allow it to ever work? Why did they not listen to Andy from the start?

- Nina won! Yes. I actually think what Carl said to her after the win was good, he showed some class there.

- Fireworks during the Andy and Harold fight. How good are Treat and Tom there?

- Ephram and Amy FRIES scene! The chemistry, oh, the chemistry.

Thoughts after watching

STRENGTH is the theme of this episode. Strength to get through the tough times with class, dignity, and resilience to become a better person after the tough times are over. We see all of the characters going through this: Nina possibly losing Sam, Andy possibly losing Nina, Ephram losing the babysitter, even the babysitter having to gain strength to break up with the boy, Amy dumping Tommy, Amy moving back home, Amy dealing with her stupid friends, Bright accepting Amy back as his sister, Ephram and Amy trusting in their unstoppable connection to bring them back, Edna losing Amy as a housemate, Harold and Rose standing together as they deal with Amy/birth control as well as just getting to know their daughter again, Harold facing Andy head on about the birth control situation. It is all there, strength... strength is necessary.

This was a great episode. The acting flawless, and Greg Berlanti delivered as usual, wasting zero time getting our Ephram/Amy back, front and center, the way it was always meant to be. The other main pairing of Andy and Harold had a slow build feature focus as it boiled over at the end. THIS is classic Everwood, when the four main characters are playing off of each other.

I was so glad Amy was blunt with Tommy and told him to get lost. Notice her hair and dress is already starting to change. She was strong, determined and absolutely amazing in this one. She was so communicative with her parents, outstanding with Ephram (I will get to that last) and superb with Bright. Her stupid friends are worthless but it's understandable why they hurt her. As we know, unfortunately they will be back even if she dumps them slowly/naturally later on in S3 which is good. Amy showed such courage and resilience in this episode and as usual, Emily was flawless. Amy is my favorite character. She always has been, always will be. A large part of it is due to Emily VanCamp. In general, I have always believed Amy is the most realistic character in the series as Emily paints Amy in such a relatable and realistic way. I love this character and adore Emily's perfect portrayal.

Ephram finally grew up a little bit in this one. Outside of that basketball scene with Bright where he was frantic once again he seemed way more calm and mature. He understood about halfway in officially it was hopeless with the babysitter. You viewed the slow resignation. Who knows, maybe his "reconnecting" with Amy calmed him down? I would like to believe this. He certainly seemed happy/excited finding out Amy and Tommy were done. He handled the break up nicely and all his scenes with Amy were fabulous. It was kind of weird he didn't get a scene with his father. I could finally enjoy Ephram in this one compared to how annoyed I've been ever since he hooked up with Madison illegally. Ephram was back to the Ephram I love in this one.

Amy and Tommy and Ephram and Madison break ups made me smile widely. Amy was clear and to the point, completely determined and strong. Tommy was a moron given his reaction and how he made fun of her returning home. Like I said, I still don't understand what Tommy felt for Amy. Was she just a hot girl to him or was there more to it? I still remember how that idiot at the party acted when he found out it was Amy like Tommy has said stuff to them about her. I mean, he never pressured her for sex so you cannot say he was using her for sex. He obviously found her hot but did he have true feelings for her or not? Obviously the point is he didn't respect her enough because he wouldn't have lied and lied and lied like Amy said for months. He wouldn't be the tool that he turned out being. As for Ephram and Madison... the longest, most annoying break up in history. Notice the music playing. What was that all about? I don't understand why so much focus was on the break up that Andy warned them was inevitable. It felt weird. It should have lasted two seconds. Mindy reminded us in this one that their relationship was illegal and gross too. Their break up should have been much shorter but oh well, finally it happened. Finally. Delia needs desperately taken care of now, thanks.

Andy/Nina/Carl situation was really good. Carl was a tool but at least he gained some wisdom and class at the end given his words to Nina after she won. However, this episode reminded me very strongly of how troubling conservatives are in this country and I don't just mean extremists. Linda pointed out that Nina would never lose not just because she is the mother, but because Carl is a single, gay male in a conservative town. How messed up is that? It is pathetic and sad. I feel very uneasy knowing this side represents darkness. Back to light... Andy was tremendous throughout being there for Nina and his words made a huge difference in court obviously. Plus, we saw the complicated feelings between Andy/Nina in this one. They are way more than friends right now and both deep down know this without knowing. I love these two.

The Andy and Harold fight at the end was big time. Actors were scorching with talent and chemistry together. Just wow. You felt it build from the moment Harold found out it was Andy. It is also a foreshadowing moment because as we know, Harold will soon find out Madison is pregnant and he has to hold the truth from Amy and others as well for Andy. The tables will turn soon in this friendship as it grows stronger through difficult times.

Bright was once again great in this one. S2 Bright is one of my favorite things about an otherwise dark, S2. He was great with Ephram and Amy. His words of encouragement to his sister and getting her back into the dance class was precious. When you think about it, this was a key moment because Amy was about to lose "strength" and accept defeat. It might have caused her depression to linger but her brother was going to make sure that did not happen.

Saving the best for last... Ephram and Amy... Berlanti wasted zero time getting these two back together and their connection was sparking like the brightest star in the sky. From both finding out about their relationships failing (and Ephram was so excited finding out she dumped Tommy) to the classic FRIES scene... oh my GOSH, I love them so much. The dollar comment, the bantering, the we could always get more fries... they have it all! The EYE contact, oh the EYE contact is precious, priceless and superb. The Greg and Emily chemistry is indescribable, it's almost Spiritual, untouchable, airy and graceful, filled with powerful emotions and pure love. It takes you into a different dimension.

Quote:
[Amy sets the workout bench down. Ephram walks up to her.]

AMY: He was using my room as his own personal gym, can you believe that?

EPHRAM: No comment.

AMY: Yeah, sorry not your problem. Just been a really crappy day.

[Amy sits on the bench and Ephram sits next to her.]

EPHRAM: I'm sure it must be weird coming home after all this time, but everything'll get back to normal soon enough.

AMY: That's one way to look at it. Tommy had a slightly different take on the whole thing.

EPHRAM: Well, I'm sure he had a good point in his own special way.

AMY: You don't have to. We broke up this morning.

EPHRAM: You did?

AMY: Yeah.

EPHRAM: Are you OK?

AMY: Yeah, I think so. Kind of saw it coming, you know, like we were forcing things and then that whole thing happened. I'm sure that you heard.

EPHRAM: Yeah, I think pretty much everybody heard. Sounded pretty scary.

AMY: Yeah, but it's OK. It's for the best. How are things with you and the Madison thing?

EPHRAM: Good. Good. I mean, you know, she's been real busy with the band and stuff. But other than that it's been really good.

[Amy and Ephram get up from the bench.]

AMY: Well, good. Well, it's good to know that one of us made a relationship work this year.

[Amy picks up the workbench.]

EPHRAM: Can I, uh?

AMY: It's OK.

EPHRAM: You sure?

AMY: Yeah.

[Ephram watches Amy carry the bench and he heads towards the house.]
Quote:
[Cut to outside of Karen's Café. {We can see the name on the window.} Ephram walks out of the café with a bag in his hand. Amy walks up and sees him.]

AMY: Hey, you.

EPHRAM: Hey. I was just picking up a little food. Do you... You going for a walk?

AMY: Yeah, I was at the bookstore looking at books. Pretty much the same stuff there was last week.

EPHRAM: Yeah, tell me about it. That copy of Seabiscuit – it's been in the window since I moved here. I'm thinking about buying it just to see whatever they put up next... Do you want a ride home? I got my car.

AMY: Actually, I want to walk. I feel like walking a little bit.

[They start walking.]

EPHRAM: Where are we going?

AMY: Nowhere.

EPHRAM: Sounds good. So how are things at home? Getting any better?

AMY: A little. School, on the other hand, is going to be a torture at least until I graduate. In fact, I'll give you a dollar to sit with me at lunch.

EPHRAM: Deal.

AMY: You're supposed to say it's free.

EPHRAM: Well, I know an opportunity when I see one.

AMY: You're sad.

EPHRAM: A little.

AMY: Something happen?

[Ephram stops walking and turns and looks at Amy.]

EPHRAM: Madison and I broke up.

AMY: What? When?

EPHRAM: About an hour ago.

AMY: Oh my God. The other, you said that everything was fine. I thought...

EPHRAM: Yeah. Yeah. I know. I-I- lied a little bit. Don't ask me why?

AMY: Why?

[They start walking again.]

EPHRAM: I don't know. I-I guess I thought if I pretended everything was great, it would actually be great.

AMY: Protecting hope.

EPHRAM: It worked for Seabiscuit.

AMY: I'm sorry.

EPHRAM: Yeah, me too.

AMY: I know how much you liked her and she seems really great, but...

EPHRAM: But what?

AMY: But if she was dumb enough to let you go, she mustn't have been that perfect. She's gonna be really upset when she realizes what she gave up. Trust me.

EPHRAM: You know, I say we keep walking until we run out of fries.

AMY: We can always buy more fries.

[They start eating fries and continue to walk down the sidewalk.]

{END OF ACT FOUR}

THE END

This episode was amazing, I loved every minute of it, and cannot wait for the next one!

Last edited by jediwands; 10-31-2021 at 08:05 AM
Old 10-31-2021, 07:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

i prob wont get to this tonight but the description..

Quote:
Ephram worries that Madison is going to break up with him;
THIS COULD BE THE SAME DESCRIPTION FOR THE LAST LIKE 6 EPISODES PLEASE.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)

LOL! That's so true! They really dragged out this relationship for far too long.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:31 PM
Administrator

I really enjoyed watching this episode as two relationships that we really wanted to see end finally ended, and we saw the two parings that all of us had loved from the beginning show each other support as we got a glimpse of their future together.

I felt that this season had largely been under a dark cloud dominated by Amy’s depression and Ephram’s disastrous relationship with Madison, but we saw Amy really start to emerge from her depression in this episode as she moved back home and broke up with Tommy once and for all, and Ephram and Madison finally called it quits as they both realized that things weren’t working between them and they never would.

I absolutely loved the support that Andy gave Nina throughout this episode as Carl took her to court to try and gain sole custody of Sam, and he seemingly had the upper hand at first because he was in a much better financial position then Nina was in, but he had one thing working against him in a huge way during this trial: The fact that he was gay. In 2004, the year that this episode aired, people were still highly prejudiced against anyone that was gay, especially in a small conservative town like Everwood, as Linda pointed out when Nina was so upset when she found out that Carl was seeking sole custody of Sam.

I loved seeing Amy moving home, and I loved the warm goodbye that she gave Edna and Irv, and you could really see how Edna really loved Amy in that farewell scene, and Amy’s comment to Irv about upgrading to TiVo versus VCR was funny but very much of that era. I was so happy to see Amy end things with Tommy as she finally called him out for all the lies that he told her throughout their relationship, and he had no right to say what he said to her, but I was so glad to see her find the courage to end things with him once and for all and we never saw him again.

I was amused by Bright and Ephram’s conversation as Bright told him that he “was still holding some cards,” but their conversation was interrupted by Amy bringing out Bright’s workout bench.

I liked Ephram and Amy’s initial conversation as she told him that she had broken up with Tommy and his first concern was for her when he asked her if she was alright but I didn’t like when he lied to her when he said that things were fine with him and Madison.

I really hated it when Ephram went to see Madison and she told him that she wasn’t breaking up with him, leading him on once again, and setting the scene for further heartache as she gave him false hope that they could make their doomed relationship work.

I hated how Amy’s “friends” treated her in school as she started to attend dance class again, and it just showed how shallowly rooted her “friendships” were with all of them, and what horrible and shallow people Paige and Company were.

I liked how Nina’s lawyer called out Carl for not knowing anything about Sam’s life after he walked out on him and Nina, but while I could understand why she called out Carl for being gay (to build up a case for Nina) you could really tell how different times were then by the way that the judge looked at Carl so disdainfully as he overruled every single objection that was made by Carl’s lawyer.

I didn’t like how Ephram dragged Delia along to get the “perfect gift” for Madison’s 21st birthday, but she did give him some good advice as to what present not to get her. It was funny seeing Madison’s roommate call Ephram and call him “jailbait” but he took the insult in stride as she told him about the surprise party that they were throwing for her.

I didn’t like the line of questioning that Carl’s lawyer used toward Andy as he tried to show Nina as being an unfit mother, which was completely untrue, but lawyers are really good at trapping people into saying things that they never meant to say and twisting their words around, so he was doing what he was paid to do.

I loved seeing how upset that Andy was when Nina told him that she might be leaving Everwood if she lost custody of Sam, and I loved what Andy said about Nina at the trial the next day when he had the opportunity to undo some of the perceived damage that was done by Carl’s lawyer, and how he said that it was in the best interest of everyone that she remain in Everwood.

It was really concerning that Harold found Amy’s birth control pills which set the stage for their confrontation with her and them discovering that Andy had prescribed her those pills, as she told them she didn’t sleep with Tommy and she wasn’t sleeping with anyone, and she couldn’t get her life back after Paige treated her so cruelly at the High School hangout in front of Bright.

You could tell that Ephram really felt uncomfortable at Madison’s party, but he showed a great deal of growth and maturity by not drinking at that party and not going with them to the bar when the party ended. I liked the conversation that Ephram had with Madison’s roommate as she could see that Ephram really was in love with her, but she recounted once again how first loves always end badly.

I really liked how Bright encouraged Amy to go to that dance class when she didn’t want to go, telling her that it was really messed up what Paige did to her and he didn’t like seeing her treated that way, and that she needed to stay in their face about and just be her, mixing teasing insults with the obvious love and affection that he had for her.

I was so happy that Ephram and Madison broke up as they both realized that it wasn’t working between them, and I thought that Ephram showed a lot of growth and maturity in this episode compared to how he acted in the previous episode. It was sad when Madison said that she couldn’t accept his gift because she knew it would be perfect, just like him, but I was so glad to see that it was finally over between them.

I had mixed feelings about the judgement for Nina, as part of me was happy that she won custody of Sam, because she had been the sole parent for Sam throughout their entire marriage, but I didn’t like seeing the blatant bias by the judge against Carl because he was gay. I was glad that Carl was somewhat nice to Nina after their case was over, but he was still wrong to do what he did, and Nina was as always, kind and gracious to him for Sam’s sake, even though he had struck her a really low blow.

I hated how Harold angrily confronted Andy about prescribing Amy birth control pills and I hated the cruel words that he said to him as he told him he was through with him and he warned him to stay away from his family, causing what was thankfully a temporary rupture in their friendship. Andy was put in a tough position by Amy as she went to him as a doctor, and as a doctor, he couldn’t turn her away, but Harold felt that Andy should have put his friendship with him first, so Andy was in a no-win situation as Harold harshly lashed out at him.

I absolutely loved the final scene between Ephram and Amy as he told her that him and Madison had broken up and he told her that he lied during their previous conversation when he told her that things were fine between him and Madison. I had tears in my eyes when Amy told him that “But if she was dumb enough to let you go, she mustn't have been that perfect. She's gonna be really upset when she realizes what she gave up. Trust me.” I also loved it when Ephram said “You know I say we keep walking until we run out of fries,” and Amy said “We can always buy more fries” ending the episode in such a wonderful way.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode, and I really felt the darkness that had characterized so much of Season Two really begin to lift in this episode.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 10-31-2021, 09:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)

So incredibly true.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediseermic (View Post)
I just finished watching and let me tell you, I feel satisfied, happy, and content once again!
I felt the same way, for the same reason.

Quote:
Thoughts after watching

STRENGTH is the theme of this episode. Strength to get through the tough times with class, dignity, and resilience to become a better person after the tough times are over. We see all of the characters going through this: Nina possibly losing Sam, Andy possibly losing Nina, Ephram losing the babysitter, even the babysitter having to gain strength to break up with the boy, Amy dumping Tommy, Amy moving back home, Amy dealing with her stupid friends, Bright accepting Amy back as his sister, Ephram and Amy trusting in their unstoppable connection to bring them back, Edna losing Amy as a housemate, Harold and Rose standing together as they deal with Amy/birth control as well as just getting to know their daughter again, Harold facing Andy head on about the birth control situation. It is all there, strength... strength is necessary.
I completely agree, but I hated how Harold lashed out at Andy. It was so mean and unnecessary.

Quote:
This was a great episode. The acting flawless, and Greg Berlanti delivered as usual, wasting zero time getting our Ephram/Amy back, front and center, the way it was always meant to be. The other main pairing of Andy and Harold had a slow build feature focus as it boiled over at the end. THIS is classic Everwood, when the four main characters are playing off of each other.
I completely agree. Like I said in my commentary, I feel like a dark cloud that hovered over this season had been lifted.

Quote:
I was so glad Amy was blunt with Tommy and told him to get lost. Notice her hair and dress is already starting to change. She was strong, determined and absolutely amazing in this one. She was so communicative with her parents, outstanding with Ephram (I will get to that last) and superb with Bright. Her stupid friends are worthless but it's understandable why they hurt her. As we know, unfortunately they will be back even if she dumps them slowly/naturally later on in S3 which is good. Amy showed such courage and resilience in this episode and as usual, Emily was flawless. Amy is my favorite character. She always has been, always will be. A large part of it is due to Emily VanCamp. In general, I have always believed Amy is the most realistic character in the series as Emily paints Amy in such a relatable and realistic way. I love this character and adore Emily's perfect portrayal.
I was so glad to see that too and Amy found the strength to call Tommy on his lies and not fall for his sob story once again.

Quote:
Ephram finally grew up a little bit in this one. Outside of that basketball scene with Bright where he was frantic once again he seemed way more calm and mature. He understood about halfway in officially it was hopeless with the babysitter. You viewed the slow resignation. Who knows, maybe his "reconnecting" with Amy calmed him down? I would like to believe this. He certainly seemed happy/excited finding out Amy and Tommy were done. He handled the break up nicely and all his scenes with Amy were fabulous. It was kind of weird he didn't get a scene with his father. I could finally enjoy Ephram in this one compared to how annoyed I've been ever since he hooked up with Madison illegally. Ephram was back to the Ephram I love in this one.
Ephram really showed growth and maturity in this episode and even though Madison had led him on once again, he found the strength and courage to realize and accept that it was never going to work between them.

Quote:
Amy and Tommy and Ephram and Madison break ups made me smile widely. Amy was clear and to the point, completely determined and strong. Tommy was a moron given his reaction and how he made fun of her returning home. Like I said, I still don't understand what Tommy felt for Amy. Was she just a hot girl to him or was there more to it? I still remember how that idiot at the party acted when he found out it was Amy like Tommy has said stuff to them about her. I mean, he never pressured her for sex so you cannot say he was using her for sex. He obviously found her hot but did he have true feelings for her or not? Obviously the point is he didn't respect her enough because he wouldn't have lied and lied and lied like Amy said for months. He wouldn't be the tool that he turned out being. As for Ephram and Madison... the longest, most annoying break up in history. Notice the music playing. What was that all about? I don't understand why so much focus was on the break up that Andy warned them was inevitable. It felt weird. It should have lasted two seconds. Mindy reminded us in this one that their relationship was illegal and gross too. Their break up should have been much shorter but oh well, finally it happened. Finally. Delia needs desperately taken care of now, thanks.
I was so glad to see the two most hated relationships we had to deal with on the show finally end. It was a long time coming, and I was glad that it finally happened. It is hard to say what Tommy's true thoughts were about Amy, but I was just so glad that she finally ended things with him, as he was just bad news right from the very beginning. Ephram and Madison's relationship should have never started, but I was glad to see that it finally ended, and that Ephram showed real growth and maturity in this episode.

Quote:
Andy/Nina/Carl situation was really good. Carl was a tool but at least he gained some wisdom and class at the end given his words to Nina after she won. However, this episode reminded me very strongly of how troubling conservatives are in this country and I don't just mean extremists. Linda pointed out that Nina would never lose not just because she is the mother, but because Carl is a single, gay male in a conservative town. How messed up is that? It is pathetic and sad. I feel very uneasy knowing this side represents darkness. Back to light... Andy was tremendous throughout being there for Nina and his words made a huge difference in court obviously. Plus, we saw the complicated feelings between Andy/Nina in this one. They are way more than friends right now and both deep down know this without knowing. I love these two.
Carl, really was a tool and he was so cruel and unfair to seek full custody of Sam when he had barely been in his life, but like I said, sadly, the main reason that Carl lost was because he was gay, but that definitely reflected the era that the show aired in. I also loved all the scenes with Andy and Nina and the support that he showed her, and the underlying love between them in this episode was palpable.

Quote:
The Andy and Harold fight at the end was big time. Actors were scorching with talent and chemistry together. Just wow. You felt it build from the moment Harold found out it was Andy. It is also a foreshadowing moment because as we know, Harold will soon find out Madison is pregnant and he has to hold the truth from Amy and others as well for Andy. The tables will turn soon in this friendship as it grows stronger through difficult times.
I hated seeing the breach in Harold and Andy's friendship as Harold angrily lashed out at Andy for prescribing Amy birth control pills, but fortunately this breach was temporary as we saw Andy invite Harold to join his practice after he lost his practice due to Linda's HIV Status.

Quote:
Bright was once again great in this one. S2 Bright is one of my favorite things about an otherwise dark, S2. He was great with Ephram and Amy. His words of encouragement to his sister and getting her back into the dance class was precious. When you think about it, this was a key moment because Amy was about to lose "strength" and accept defeat. It might have caused her depression to linger but her brother was going to make sure that did not happen.
I loved the support that Bright showed Amy in this episode as she was about to quit dance class due to Paige's cruel remarks to her, but he gave her the strength to go back in there and not worry about those "Mean Girls."

Quote:
Saving the best for last... Ephram and Amy... Berlanti wasted zero time getting these two back together and their connection was sparking like the brightest star in the sky. From both finding out about their relationships failing (and Ephram was so excited finding out she dumped Tommy) to the classic FRIES scene... oh my GOSH, I love them so much. The dollar comment, the bantering, the we could always get more fries... they have it all! The EYE contact, oh the EYE contact is precious, priceless and superb. The Greg and Emily chemistry is indescribable, it's almost Spiritual, untouchable, airy and graceful, filled with powerful emotions and pure love. It takes you into a different dimension.
I absolutely loved Ephram and Amy's scenes in this episode and when Teresa asked me "Did you cry?" I had to answer yes, as their scene brought tears of joy to my eyes. I've never had a couple affect me on an emotional level like Ephram and Amy, and no other couple has ever, or will ever, do that to me.

Quote:

This episode was amazing, I loved every minute of it, and cannot wait for the next one!
It really was an amazing episode.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I felt the same way, for the same reason.

Quote:
I completely agree, but I hated how Harold lashed out at Andy. It was so mean and unnecessary.
It was awful. I wonder if Harold knows Edna knows. He would have to suspect this.

Either way, Andy did nothing wrong. The only thing is... would Harold have gone to Andy if Ephram went to him about birth control? I think Harold would see this as something you automatically do. However, Harold should realize even if HE thinks it's the best decision (break doctor code) doesn't make it right.

Quote:
I completely agree. Like I said in my commentary, I feel like a dark cloud that hovered over this season had been lifted.
Yes, it feels so freeing.

Quote:
I was so glad to see that too and Amy found the strength to call Tommy on his lies and not fall for his sob story once again.
She was very determined.

Quote:
Ephram really showed growth and maturity in this episode and even though Madison had led him on once again, he found the strength and courage to realize and accept that it was never going to work between them.
Exactly! He knew. He obviously knew while talking with Bright outside playing basketball too. Deep down he knew they were over and was shocked Madison requested they give it another try. So when it finally was over he wasn't surprised, he was already prepared for it.

Quote:
I was so glad to see the two most hated relationships we had to deal with on the show finally end. It was a long time coming, and I was glad that it finally happened. It is hard to say what Tommy's true thoughts were about Amy, but I was just so glad that she finally ended things with him, as he was just bad news right from the very beginning. Ephram and Madison's relationship should have never started, but I was glad to see that it finally ended, and that Ephram showed real growth and maturity in this episode.
Exactly. Did you think at this point, since Berlanti did do some slight parallels, that Andy and Linda were doomed too? Andy and Linda are nothing like those other two pairings but Berlanti did try lumping them together with the other two at times based on episode themes. Do you remember what your thoughts were after this episode on Andy/Linda?

Quote:
Carl, really was a tool and he was so cruel and unfair to seek full custody of Sam when he had barely been in his life, but like I said, sadly, the main reason that Carl lost was because he was gay, but that definitely reflected the era that the show aired in. I also loved all the scenes with Andy and Nina and the support that he showed her, and the underlying love between them in this episode was palpable.
Totally. Berlanti was portraying things in a very realistic way. The sad thing is many of these conservative towns around the US are still like this and haven't changed.

Quote:
I hated seeing the breach in Harold and Andy's friendship as Harold angrily lashed out at Andy for prescribing Amy birth control pills, but fortunately this breach was temporary as we saw Andy invite Harold to join his practice after he lost his practice due to Linda's HIV Status.
Absolutely.

Quote:
I loved the support that Bright showed Amy in this episode as she was about to quit dance class due to Paige's cruel remarks to her, but he gave her the strength to go back in there and not worry about those "Mean Girls."
Bright was so wonderful. Too bad Amy cared about these idiots so much. The reality is she really doesn't care though, it's just the way it has always been, just like being paired up with Colin. It is like Amy had her life planned for her before she even had a say in what was going on... Colin and her friends were almost hand-picked for her. She tells Ephram it was not real in the S2 flashback and we even saw her interaction with Paige in this one telling her she was assigned to be the party-planner for the group... her insinuation is her friends don't truly care about HER, they only cared about what she could do for them, how she could benefit them. So when she battled the Clinical Depression, they only missed her lack of presence based on how it benefited them, they didn't care about Amy, the person. Really sad.

Quote:
I absolutely loved Ephram and Amy's scenes in this episode and when Teresa asked me "Did you cry?" I had to answer yes, as their scene brought tears of joy to my eyes. I've never had a couple affect me on an emotional level like Ephram and Amy, and no other couple has ever, or will ever, do that to me.

It really was an amazing episode.
Completely, completely agree.

I've never seen a pairing come close to Ephram/Amy and I know I never will.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Exactly. Did you think at this point, since Berlanti did do some slight parallels, that Andy and Linda were doomed too? Andy and Linda are nothing like those other two pairings but Berlanti did try lumping them together with the other two at times based on episode themes. Do you remember what your thoughts were after this episode on Andy/Linda?
Yes, I do feel that Berlanti was doing a slight parallel here, showing us the two end-game couples. Linda was pretty much a non-entity in this episode, so I sort of felt like she was on her way out, which turned out to be true as we saw. I'll be completely honest when I say that I really liked Andy and Linda as a couple and as fellow doctors, and I liked how she brought out a different side to Harold, but it became obvious that she wasn't going to stick around due to her HIV status.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I felt the same way! Both annoying roadblocks were finally out of the way and we now have a clean slate for Amy and Ephram to be where they should be...side by side with fries or not!

Quote:
- Tommy making fun of Amy going back is so vile. I still cannot figure out what his true feelings for Amy were.
Absolutely disgusting. What colossal nerve! I am so glad that Amy was strong and held firm.

Quote:
- Sam is not easy but Nina would crumble if she lost him.
She would, but don't cancel those Carl weekends, Nina. You really need a break!

Quote:
How heartbroken he was thinking that Nina might leave! Andy often took Nina for granted, but the thought that he might lose her made him realized how important she is to him.
Quote:
- Carl, you suck, going after primary custody. You will never win.
It was a very selfish move, but I'm glad he and Nina ended on civilized terms at the end because that is so important for Sam.

Quote:
Why should Carl's sexuality have anything to do with a custody battle? Republicans pathetically make it that way. It is vile and repulsive.
I totally agree! I was annoyed at Nina's lawyer and her manner of questioning Carl. Asking Carl if he told Sam about his sexuality? What does that have to do with anything?!?

Quote:
- Back to Ephram and Madison and Madison still not breaking up with him. Morons, right there. Notice after they "made up" she pulled him into a room for probably sex. Maybe that's when the baby was created.
That truly was unbelievable. Give it up, Madison! You are beating a dead horse staying with Ephram. And...she pulling Ephram into the room was so annoyingly obvious.

Quote:
- Amy’s friends are disgusting. Where IS Laynie? We find out later where she is but so ridiculous she is not around right now.
Creeps....

-
Quote:
- Lawyer is good but again, what does Carl being gay have anything to do with this? I get it, I understand Everwood is a conservative town which is why she's playing this card but the point is.... in typical Everwood realistic fashion we are given a dose of sad reality. This is what hateful conservative towns are like.
Ridiculous line of questioning.

Quote:
- Bright saves the day! What an awesome brother. He was honest with her (even if I wish he would have told her he understands she has/had Clinical Depression) and helped give his sister the STRENGTH to go to dance class and blow off her friends because they will eventually come around. Go Bright. This scene and the homecoming S1 scene are my two favorite Bright with Amy scenes.
I loved this. You knew Bright was not happy about the way that Amy's "friends" were treating her in that snack shop and it was inevitable that he would do something about it.

Quote:
- Fireworks during the Andy and Harold fight. How good are Treat and Tom there?
I hated the way that Harold treated Andy here. Harold was wrong.

-
Quote:
Ephram and Amy FRIES scene! The chemistry, oh, the chemistry.
See, Alexa. We told you this would happen!

Last edited by jediwands; 11-01-2021 at 11:06 PM
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:

I felt that this season had largely been under a dark cloud dominated by Amy’s depression and Ephram’s disastrous relationship with Madison, but we saw Amy really start to emerge from her depression in this episode as she moved back home and broke up with Tommy once and for all, and Ephram and Madison finally called it quits as they both realized that things weren’t working between them and they never would.
This is when I started to enjoy Season 2. The cloud is slowly lifting and the Sun is starting to shine. Good things ahead!
Quote:
I was amused by Bright and Ephram’s conversation as Bright told him that he “was still holding some cards,” but their conversation was interrupted by Amy bringing out Bright’s workout bench
I believe that Bright is going to enjoy a break from a whining Ephram when Madison and Ephram finally break up!

Quote:
I liked Ephram and Amy’s initial conversation as she told him that she had broken up with Tommy and his first concern was for her when he asked her if she was alright but I didn’t like when he lied to her when he said that things were fine with him and Madison.
I didn't like that lie either, but I guess it was wishful thinking on his part and he was a little embarrassed.

Quote:
I really hated it when Ephram went to see Madison and she told him that she wasn’t breaking up with him, leading him on once again, and setting the scene for further heartache as she gave him false hope that they could make their doomed relationship work.
I honestly was flabbergasted that Madison still didn't break up with Ephram at this point!It made no sense.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
AMY: I know how much you liked her and she seems really great, but...

EPHRAM: But what?

AMY: But if she was dumb enough to let you go, she mustn't have been that perfect. She's gonna be really upset when she realizes what she gave up. Trust me.
It's interesting that Ephram said pretty much the same thing to Amy season 4 in the "soulmate" scene. (Ephram to Amy) Something to the effect of....he would be lucky because he gets to be with You.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
It's interesting that Ephram said pretty much the same thing to Amy season 4 in the "soulmate" scene. (Ephram to Amy) Something to the effect of....he would be lucky because he gets to be with You.
Excellent catch! This is so true, a direct parallel all the more showing their connection.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Yes, I do feel that Berlanti was doing a slight parallel here, showing us the two end-game couples. Linda was pretty much a non-entity in this episode, so I sort of felt like she was on her way out, which turned out to be true as we saw. I'll be completely honest when I say that I really liked Andy and Linda as a couple and as fellow doctors, and I liked how she brought out a different side to Harold, but it became obvious that she wasn't going to stick around due to her HIV status.
How would you compare Andy/Nina and Andy/Linda are far as your preference?

Let's say Linda wasn't HIV+ and she was hanging around... so it was Andy and Linda as two doctors (in addition to Harold) and then Andy and Nina as two neighbors. Which couple would you pull for long-term?
Old 11-01-2021, 04:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I felt the same way! Both annoying roadblocks were finally out of the way and we now have a clean slate for Amy and Ephram to be where they should be...side by side with fries or not!
Exactly what it felt like! Could breathe again, a pathway was opened up.

Quote:
Absolutely disgusting. What colossal nerve! I am so glad that Amy was strong and held firm.
His true colors came out big time. Proof he never wanted what was best for her, he was even happy she was separated from her parents and brother.

Quote:
She would, but don't cancel those Carl weekends, Nina. You really need a break!

Quote:
How heartbroken he was thinking that Nina might leave! Andy often took Nina for granted, but the thought that he might lose her made him realized how important she is to him.

It was a very selfish move, but I'm glad he and Nina ended on civilized terms at the end because that is so important for Sam.

I totally agree! I was annoyed at Nina's lawyer and her manner of questioning Carl. Asking Carl if he told Sam about his sexuality? What does that have to do with anything?!?
He was a creep just being human Carl, his sexuality had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
That truly was unbelievable. Give it up, Madison! You are beating a dead horse staying with Ephram. And...she pulling Ephram into the room was so annoyingly obvious.
Right? My God. I guess that's precisely when they... conceived.

Quote:
Creeps....

-

Ridiculous line of questioning.
You could tell the judge was even in on it. Obviously, Nina should have won, but the sexuality stuff was so ridiculous. Talk about how he was never there for their son, he was manipulative, etc.

Quote:
I loved this. You knew Bright was not happy about the way that Amy's "friends" were treating her in that snack shop and it was inevitable that he would do something about it.

Quote:
I hated the way that Harold treated Andy here. Harold was wrong.
It was really awful. I guess more proof that Harold goes nuts over anything Amy-related. I wonder if he would have been this shocked over Bright. He probably wouldn't have cared. I get that Bright is a guy (and it's different) but there was a pattern with Harold... anything concerning Amy he was very emotional and passionate. Anything with Bright and it was like, "Anyone want some ice cream?"
Reply   Post New Thread