Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread
 
Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2022, 04:33 AM
  #1
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 263,266
2021-2022 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 3.14 - Since You've Been Gone

Rewatch Overview

Since You've Been Gone






SUMMARY

Andy and Amanda decide that it's time to tell Delia and Charlie about their relationship before they hear about it elsewhere, but Charlie's emotional reaction makes them question what they're doing. Meanwhile, when Hannah doesn't jump at the opportunity to go on a date with a cute guy, Topher, from school, Amy is convinced that Hannah is misguidedly saving herself for Bright. Nina questions whether Sam is going to be hurt again if her relationship with Jake doesn't work out. Lastly, we flashback to Amanda and John earlier in their marriage of a more happier time with their son Charlie, right before he has his stroke.

SEASON
3

EPISODE
14

AIR DATE
February 7, 2005

WRITER
Barbie Kligman

DIRECTOR
Matt Shakman
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 04:42 AM
  #2
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 263,266
We are back!
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:24 AM
  #3
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 263,266
Andy/Amanda

I know the flashbacks are supposed to make me feel more sympathetic to Amanda. It didn't. I looked at an old review of mine and apparently I felt more sympathetic. Not this time around. I find this whole storyline so vile, so all the flashbacks did was make me hate Amanda more. She came off as dark in most of the scenarios, and I didn't feel the least bit sorry for her for staying with her husband out of guilt. Nope. I did not. John seemed cold when he told her in the end she could leave but not with Charlie. Admittedly, it was a weird scene, especially since, news flash, you don’t have the power in this situation, John. Interesting I can say this given what is currently going on with the SCOTUS. It is true and that has never changed... Amanda would hold the power as a mother as far as where Charlie lived no matter what John requested (or according to this scene, demanded). Even with this odd scene that made John look a tad controlling, I think mostly he was just confused and didn’t understand why Amanda was so unhappy so he tried to play that card. Overall, she still came across as looking pretty terrible.

As for Andy and Amanda gathering Delia and Charlie together like they were attempting to form a Brady Bunch scenario.... what are you thinking, Andy? Charlie's reaction was also a little hard to believe, not to mention, convenient. So Charlie knows that she is cheating on his dad, but it's okay because she's happy. He might be a very mature 12-year-old given everything he’s been through with his dad, but I still can't believe that a person his age would react that way. It’s merely to justify Andy and Amanda and their nausea-inducing nonsense. Also, they recycled last episode’s twist trying to make it look like Amanda was ending things with Andy, when actually she was warmly embracing the wretched affair. My biggest problem with this horrible situation is Andy's behavior. It always has been. At the end of the day, Amanda is awful but I don’t emotionally connect to her so she is still like air to me. I want her to go away but do not care about her. As for Andy… he disappoints me the most because I do care about this character. Even if I understand the psychological reasoning behind why he’s deliberately being reckless and horrible, it still doesn’t give him a free pass or completely justify his actions. I am really disappointed in Andy Brown. In addition, does he even work anymore? We have seen zero medical cases in a long time, and family time with his children is scarce. The Andy and Amanda storyline is awful and even Treat Williams agrees as he states as much in an old interview. He hated Andy's actions throughout all of S3. We are with you, Treat.

Bright/Hannah

We know what happens later but Bright and Hannah were by far the highlight of the episode for me. Sarah Drew did an excellent job portraying Hannah's reaction when Topher asked her out. She was both excited and completely terrified at the same time. This show is all about the little things... I love how she jumped up and wrapped herself in the blanket when Bright came in her room, even though she was completely covered. Bright, at this point (since we understand what happens later with them) is so much more complex and right now (two episodes in a row) appears wiser than anyone else. His speech about living every day like it was a gift was beautiful, and telling her that someday she'd find someone who saw all the things that he did, but would actually deserve her was precious. When I watch them in this episode, I love their potential. As Hannah was telling Bright that she was scared to love someone because of the possibility of her having the disease, I completely lost it. Damn, Sarah Drew and her perfect acting. Bright is essentially the one who has given Hannah the strength to take the test. Bright and Bright, alone! The camera really highlighted Bright grabbing Hannah's hand as they went outside. You can just sense the hints and foreshadowing of a future romance between these two. As I watch their scenes in this episode, I have to say, I am a little disappointed in what Bright does later on even if there are several reasons why they are not compatible romantically. Still, you want to cheer for these two in this episode, and I actually went there.

Delia/Charlie

I love Delia, but was shocked when she made the comment to Charlie about his father barely being awake. That was bad, Delia, even if you told Andy you screwed up and didn't mean to say it that way and only wanted Charlie to be less upset over their horrible parents being disgusting. I felt really sorry for Charlie during that moment.

Bright/Ephram

I love how these two were just kicking back, relaxing and listening to tunes. When is the last time we've seen Bright/Ephram like this? It is so refreshing seeing these two back in friends mode. It was comical seeing Amy barging in pissed and Ephram said that one of them was in trouble!

Quote:
[Cut to the Abbott house - Bright and Ephram are laying down on the couches in the living room watching music videos.]

BRIGHT: Do you hear that surround sound?

EPHRAM: Yeah, it's pretty sweet.

BRIGHT: Oh, yeah, my dad just got it.

[Amy comes downstairs mad.]

AMY: SUCH AN ASS.

EPHRAM: One of us is in trouble.

[Ephram sits up on the couch. Amy comes in and looks at Bright.]

AMY: You are completely ruining her life, did you know that?

EPHRAM: Oh, that rules me out.

BRIGHT: You could be talking about like 10 different chicks here? Her who?

[Amy turns off the TV.]

AMY: Hannah. Topher Cole asked her out and she's not going because for some insane reason she still likes you. It's like she's been brainwashed and needs an exorcism.

BRIGHT: So what do you want me to do about it?

AMY: I don't know, but you have to do something because it was all your fault, right, Ephram?

EPHRAM: Uh, I love Hannah, I wish her all the best, but I'm staying out of this one.

AMY: (to Ephram) Thanks, I'll remember that. (to Bright) Come on, be a good person for once in your life.

BRIGHT: Look, little sister, I can't help it if I have a way with the ladies. Just like you can't help the fact that you're an obsessive neurotic chick.

EPHRAM: Hey, he's kinda got a point.

AMY: I thought you weren't getting involved.

EPHRAM: No, not the neurotic thing. Let's face it, you and I know that Bright is nothing but a good looking empty shell devoid of any characteristics yet women are still attracted to him. Maybe it's their fault for being so superficial.

AMY: You're not helping.

BRIGHT: Really, man.

AMY: Look, Hannah deserves to go on this date. She's ready.

BRIGHT: So tell her that.

[Amy just looks at Bright. Ephram looks at Amy and then at Bright.]

EPHRAM: Pretty sure that conversation's already taken place.

BRIGHT: Okay, so you've done your part. You've been super friend Amy. If she doesn't want to listen to you, maybe for once in your life, you should let it go.

AMY: Fine. Do nothing, but if Hannah doesn't leave her house for 50 years, doesn't fall in love, never gets married, ends up being one of those old ladies with a lot of cats, it's on you.

[Amy walks away frustrated. Bright turns back on the TV to listen to the music.]

BRIGHT: It's the subwoofer. It's like a movie theater, huh?

EPHRAM: Yeah, it's pretty sweet.
^^^ What a perfectly created scene. Ephram saying twice at the beginning and end: Yeah, it's pretty sweet is outstanding stuff.

Nina/Jake

Jake playing twister with Sam was actually really fun. It felt quite real that Nina would be having second thoughts about jumping into this relationship with Jake. Sam is her number one concern. He should be. Nina had every right to be terrified since her experience with his father, Carl, has to linger inside her mind. She knew how much Sam worshipped his father. Jake also treated his ex like crap, leaving her in LA, bolting for Everwood, and Nina witnessed all of it, even remembering Jake was pursuing her and even dated another woman while things were clearly unfinished with his ex in LA. So, Nina deciding to take a chance on Jake was brave. Little does she know he is lying about his substance abuse (even if he told her about his terrible move as a doctor prescribing pain killers in LA). His substance abuse history is the biggest red flag and threat to hurting both Nina and Sam and Jake never had the courage or sense to tell Nina before she jumped all in. But still, I am glad Nina has Jake before Andy, especially given what kind of person Andy is right now. In this episode, I understand Nina's fears and give her credit for having the strength to give the relationship a chance while caring deeply about her son every step of the way.

Amy/Hannah

I love this friendship. Sure, Amy can be slightly persistent when she wants something for Hannah but it comes from such a beautiful place. Hannah cared about Amy so much she did not tell her it wasn't Bright that was holding her back from dating Topher, it was the fear of not being around later on and hurting anyone in her path. I completely love the Amy and Hannah friendship. They both need each other and it works beautifully. Amy is my favorite character and she deserves this friendship. She has never had something quite like it in her life. It feels good seeing her bond with a friend with mutual love, caring and respect that isn't attached to Colin. The cafeteria scene with Hannah and Amy hugging each other after Hannah told Amy she was getting tested was so beautiful. I think they both felt like they were the only two people in the room as they blocked everyone else out (even Ephram, who went to Topher, lol)… it was just the two of them as friends embracing. Beautiful.

Hannah

Sarah Drew was on top of her game in this one. I was so glad Hannah decided to take the Huntington's test and Bright played a large role in getting her there.

Ephram/Amy

Loved the smiles, looks, and banter. I did not ultimately love how little they were featured in the episode but it was somewhat understandable due to other big storylines transpiring.

Frustrations

Why were we shoved with this detailed backstory about a guest character and ridiculous Andy/Amanda as other more pertinent storylines were being neglected in the process? There is a real marriage that is in rough waters named Irv/Edna that the audience wants to see again and actually cares about.

I did not necessarily love that Ephram and Amy were considered "filler characters." I have a sense that the writers wanted them portrayed as really comfortable and settled so the big Madison bomb approaching would rock their world even more. In fact, I was hugely getting a "married couple" vibe from them. Amy swearing and pissed as Ephram sits straight up, making the comment about knowing one of them was in trouble (Bright or Ephram) was very married couple. It just screamed to me as someone feeling like they were in the doghouse and having the history to totally understand their romantic partner and moods. The other time was during Amy's rant to Bright as she turned to Ephram for his support and approval in making sure he was backing her. That scene could have been Harold and Rose easily. It highly reminded me of a married or completely committed couple for years type of scenario.

Either way, I did love what little we received between Ephram and Amy. I liked that it was obvious they were happy and together, completely in love. I do not like what is ahead but at least the writers clearly demonstrated how meant to be and perfect they are for each other. The audience needs to understand this as circumstances beyond their control very soon affect them harshly.

Miscellaneous

1. It was nice to see some of the "old-timers" at the diner.

2. The best line was from Hannah to Bright: Are we being beamed somewhere?

3. No Harold, Rose and as usual, we did not see Edna and Irv, either. Tom Amandes directs 3.15 so this could by why he wasn't in 3.14. Still, zero excuse not seeing Edna and Irv because we had to be tortured by boring Amanda/John flashbacks no one cares about.

4. The bird in the house and Hannah and Sam freaking out was a bit ridiculous but it ignited the Nina and Jake storyline which was needed.

Overall, I enjoyed the multi-dimensional aspect of the episode, particularly the parallel themes of guilt, obligation and responsibility evident in Hannah and Nina, and to a lesser extent, stupid Amanda. I just want Amanda to leave and Madisongate to get going so we can get it over with.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-08-2022 at 05:50 AM
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:58 PM
  #4
Administrator
 
Jerry D's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 1999
Posts: 109,129
I thought that this was a rather lackluster episode that focused way too much on Amanda, as we learned that she was planning to divorce her husband John before he had his stroke and the theme of this episode, since you’ve been gone, played throughout it as Amanda reflected back on the time before John was “gone.”. There were some good moments in this episode though, as Bright’s kindness encouraged Hannah to take an important step regarding her future.

We saw in the opening scene between Andy and Amanda at her house where Andy pulled out a kitchen drawer too far and spilled the contents of that drawer on the floor, and Amanda found the card for an attorney that she had thrown in that drawer five years before, and in a series of flashbacks, we saw that John and Amanda had serious marital problems which had left them on the verge of divorce before he suffered the stroke that incapacitated him and left them and their marriage and life in a limbo-like state.

We saw a boy named Topher ask out Hannah at school, much to delight of Ephram and Amy, but Hannah didn’t seem too thrilled at the prospect of going on a date with him, for reasons we would learn later in the episode.

Andy called Amanda and he suggested that they have dinner to tell Delia and Charlie about “them,” but that dinner turned out to be a disaster as Charlie and Delia fought and Charlie, who we learned adored his father, reacted in an angry and defensive way when Andy broached the topic of all the time that him and Amanda were spending together, and how close that they had become, and Charlie, reading between the lines, stormed off. Amanda then had another flashback where John confronted her about the attorney’s card that he found, and Amanda told him he was no longer the man that she had fallen in love with, and John said that he would grant her a divorce, but that he wanted custody of Charlie and that he wanted to live with Charlie in their home. To me, this scene showed Amanda to be the selfish party in their relationship as she bemoaned the fact that their relationship had changed due to the fact that they were no longer the two free spirits that they had been when they were first married because they now had a child, but she wanted things to be the way that they had been between them, which was impossible. As a side note, I recognized the actor who played John as Jason Beghe, who stars on the show Chicago P.D. and other Chicago themed shows as Hank Voight. He’s a really good actor. As always, Everwood was always able to attract first-rate actors, even in a mostly non-speaking guest spot.

Back at Nina’s house, we saw that Sam really liked Jake as they played Twister together, and Jake offered to take Sam to a father and son dinner that Carl had bailed out on, and Nina both enjoyed and was scared of how close Jake and Sam were becoming, and her conflicted feelings came to a head in this episode, as a frantic phone call from Hannah about a bird wreaking havoc in their house ruined her date with Jake, and Nina told Jake that she didn’t want his help to get the bird out of their house and clean up the mess that the bird had created, because she didn’t want Sam to be hurt by yet another man that he had grown to love and was close to when their relationship ended, with the key word being when, as Jake picked up on.

We saw Amy try to encourage Hannah to go out on a date with Topher, but she told Hannah that she could see that she was still pining for Bright, and she advised her to stop wasting her time pining for someone that wasn’t interested in her.

We saw a hilariously frantic Amy confront Bright about the fact that Hannah turned down a chance to go out with Topher because she still liked him, and she wanted Bright to talk to her and do something to discourage her feelings for him. I thought that Ephram was hilarious when told Amy he wanted to stay out of this and he called Bright a good-looking empty shell devoid of any characteristics and that if Hannah or any other girl was attracted to him it was their fault for being so superficial, injecting some sorely needed levity into this otherwise rather somber episode. I also thought that it was hilarious that after a frustrated Amy stormed off, Bright and Ephram went back to listening to Bright’s new music system!

I loved the scene between Bright and Hannah where he told her that she shouldn’t refuse to date Topher or anyone else because she liked him, but Hannah revealed that she actually liked Topher but the prospect of her having the disease that her father had made her reluctant to date him or anyone else because she didn’t know how much time she might have, so Bright really wasn’t the reason that she had turned Topher down and it was hilarious when she called him narcissistic, marking the second time in this episode where someone insulted Bright, who seemed to just roll with it! I especially loved the later scene where Bright came to see Hannah and he brought her out to the front porch where she had tried to kiss him, and he told her that he saw a different side to her and she wasn’t the shy and timid person that she pretended to be and that she was brave and strong, and she shouldn’t let the prospect of her possibly getting the same disease that had incapacitated her father hold her back, and to treat every moment of her life as a gift. I really loved it when he told her that she shouldn’t think that no one would ever fall in love with her, because someone would, and they shared a tender embrace. I love moments like these where Bright isn’t simply used for comic relief, and I love how Hannah brought out a different side to him just like he brought out a different side to her.

We saw Amanda and Charlie talk and she told him that if her relationship with Andy upset him, she would end that relationship, but he said that he saw that she was happy with Andy, and she then had a flashback to when John had the stroke that changed their lives forever.

We saw Jake tell Nina that she was scared of being in a relationship with him and she was using Sam as an excuse to end things with him because she didn’t want to be in a relationship that she thought was bound to fail like her relationship with Carl had failed, but he said that he was here to stay and that she needed to give him a chance, and that if they ever broke up he would be the one with the broken heart, not her, and they shared a very public kiss in the diner, which everyone seemed to ignore, and Jake’s comment that he expected applause was hilarious.

We received yet another false alarm as it seemed like Andy and Amanda’s relationship was going to end when she went to see him, and Andy, expecting the worst, thanked her for being her as a means of saying goodbye, but she told him that she didn’t want to end things with him and she was going to call the lawyer that she planned to call five years ago and finish what she started and leave John, as once again, a relationship that no one liked continued on its illicit course.

I loved that Hannah, encouraged by her conversation with Bright, tell Amy that she was going to take the test to see if she had the gene for the Huntington’s Disease that her father had, and her and Amy embraced as Ephram went off to comfort a disappointed Topher as a “Mitzvah,” as Amy said that sometimes he was conveniently Yiddish!

Overall, I found this episode to be somewhat uninteresting because it focused so much on Amanda, but we did get to see some of the characters make progress in their lives. I also saw this episode as the last “light” episode of the season, or to put it another way, the last episode of the season that had elements of light in it as the next episode and the episodes that followed that episode plunged the core characters of Andy, Ephram and Amy into darkness.
__________________
The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it - and the glow from that fire can truly light the world. - John F. Kennedy

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:04 PM
  #5
Fan Forum Star

 
Alexa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 143,654
Quote:
Amanda would hold the power as a mother as far as where Charlie lived no matter what John requested (or according to this scene, demanded).
When that scene happened I literally went "Uhhhh no." Out loud lol. Good luck with that buddy. I also found the flashbacks more annoying than necessary.



Amanda is just too much for me. There's too much of her in the episodes but on top of that her personality is so hard to take. Its just constant sarcasm to the point where it just gets grating. How could anyone stand to be around that attitude all the time? lol. I didn't like the flashbacks and it annoyed me that we found out she was planning a divorce with John all this time??? It would have been one thing if she had changed her mind on it but no, this was right before his accident! So why the hell didn't she ever get one??? Makes no sense to me because the whole time I thought she was struggling with this decision but apparently not?

The dinner was a mess as well. The kids OBVIOUSLY would be smart enough to figure out what was happening. Andy/Amanda trying to say "we're good friends" was just a joke. The kids were both being brats but I did feel bad for Charlie when Delia mentioned his dad not waking up. She should have more grace considering what happened to her mom. But the parents kinda needed to hold their ground? If they really love each other and want to be together then their kids will have to understand it...

I didn't like Amy's pushing with Hannah to go out with Topher. It was kinda obvious Hannah wasn't that into it and I wish Amy would just let her make her own decisions and stop pushing her. Then when she went to Bright and told him it was his fault, that was so annoying! Id be so mad if my friend told my crush I wouldnt date anyone because of them... like hello, embarrassing. I did get Hannah's reasons for not wanting to date but it was a bit insane saying she was never gonna fall in love because she didnt know if shed be alive long enough like wtf. Maybe AFTER you get the test you can make that decision.

Jake was great in this episode imo. Sam seems like a devil kid so if Jake can wrangle him then he's a keeper. I felt like Nina was acting a bit ridiculous. Yes, its hard for single moms to date because they dont want their kids to get attached but like, it was Nina's decision to have him at the house and invite him over??? She shouldn't have introduced them or did that in the first place if she didnt want them to get attached. But again, another indicator that Nina just really isn't all that into him??? Jake should have ran, but i think he made his explanation clear at the end, that it was worth the risk for him.

Overall the episode was fine but just not my favorite. I found it a bit blase.

Top 5:

1. Hannah
2. Jake (hes really shocking me this seasaon lol)
3. Bright (his speech to Hannah was so sweet)
4. Andy (no particular reason)
5. Amy, despite a few issue.

Ephram was just barely in it
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:56 AM
  #6
Administrator
 
Jerry D's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 1999
Posts: 109,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Andy/Amanda

I know the flashbacks are supposed to make me feel more sympathetic to Amanda. It didn't. I looked at an old review of mine and apparently I felt more sympathetic. Not this time around. I find this whole storyline so vile, so all the flashbacks did was make me hate Amanda more. She came off as dark in most of the scenarios, and I didn't feel the least bit sorry for her for staying with her husband out of guilt. Nope. I did not. John seemed cold when he told her in the end she could leave but not with Charlie. Admittedly, it was a weird scene, especially since, news flash, you don’t have the power in this situation, John. Interesting I can say this given what is currently going on with the SCOTUS. It is true and that has never changed... Amanda would hold the power as a mother as far as where Charlie lived no matter what John requested (or according to this scene, demanded). Even with this odd scene that made John look a tad controlling, I think mostly he was just confused and didn’t understand why Amanda was so unhappy so he tried to play that card. Overall, she still came across as looking pretty terrible.
Amanda came off as the totally selfish person in her relationship with a pre-stroke John. She complained that he wasn't the same guy she married, but everyone changes when they get married and have a family and have the responsibilities that go with having a family, and it was clear that John adored Charlie, and he mainly changed because he was a father now and he wanted to be a good father to his son. I thought that he was being reasonable when he said that if Amanda wanted to divorce him, he wouldn't stop her, but he wanted custody of Charlie. Granted, if she fought him for custody of Charlie she probably would have won, but I didn't see or understand at all why she was so unhappy with John, and to me, she came off as petty and selfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
As for Andy and Amanda gathering Delia and Charlie together like they were attempting to form a Brady Bunch scenario.... what are you thinking, Andy? Charlie's reaction was also a little hard to believe, not to mention, convenient. So Charlie knows that she is cheating on his dad, but it's okay because she's happy. He might be a very mature 12-year-old given everything he’s been through with his dad, but I still can't believe that a person his age would react that way. It’s merely to justify Andy and Amanda and their nausea-inducing nonsense. Also, they recycled last episode’s twist trying to make it look like Amanda was ending things with Andy, when actually she was warmly embracing the wretched affair. My biggest problem with this horrible situation is Andy's behavior. It always has been. At the end of the day, Amanda is awful but I don’t emotionally connect to her so she is still like air to me. I want her to go away but do not care about her. As for Andy… he disappoints me the most because I do care about this character. Even if I understand the psychological reasoning behind why he’s deliberately being reckless and horrible, it still doesn’t give him a free pass or completely justify his actions. I am really disappointed in Andy Brown. In addition, does he even work anymore? We have seen zero medical cases in a long time, and family time with his children is scarce. The Andy and Amanda storyline is awful and even Treat Williams agrees as he states as much in an old interview. He hated Andy's actions throughout all of S3. We are with you, Treat.
Andy was incredibly stupid to arrange a dinner at Amanda's house to tell Charlie and Delia about "them" and it ended up being a disaster. Andy really disappointed me in Season Three, and his affair with Amanda and his callous disregard for the advice and feelings of the people who loved him and cared about him appalled me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Bright/Hannah

We know what happens later but Bright and Hannah were by far the highlight of the episode for me. Sarah Drew did an excellent job portraying Hannah's reaction when Topher asked her out. She was both excited and completely terrified at the same time. This show is all about the little things... I love how she jumped up and wrapped herself in the blanket when Bright came in her room, even though she was completely covered. Bright, at this point (since we understand what happens later with them) is so much more complex and right now (two episodes in a row) appears wiser than anyone else. His speech about living every day like it was a gift was beautiful, and telling her that someday she'd find someone who saw all the things that he did, but would actually deserve her was precious. When I watch them in this episode, I love their potential. As Hannah was telling Bright that she was scared to love someone because of the possibility of her having the disease, I completely lost it. Damn, Sarah Drew and her perfect acting. Bright is essentially the one who has given Hannah the strength to take the test. Bright and Bright, alone! The camera really highlighted Bright grabbing Hannah's hand as they went outside. You can just sense the hints and foreshadowing of a future romance between these two. As I watch their scenes in this episode, I have to say, I am a little disappointed in what Bright does later on even if there are several reasons why they are not compatible romantically. Still, you want to cheer for these two in this episode, and I actually went there.
I loved Bright and Hannah's interaction in this episode, and like I said in my review I loved seeing how they both bring out a side of each other that people don't normally see, and I love how his words of encouragement inspired her to take the test to see if she had the Huntington's Disease gene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Delia/Charlie

I love Delia, but was shocked when she made the comment to Charlie about his father barely being awake. That was bad, Delia, even if you told Andy you screwed up and didn't mean to say it that way and only wanted Charlie to be less upset over their horrible parents being disgusting. I felt really sorry for Charlie during that moment.
That was really cruel of Delia, but Charlie was really nasty to her, and I think that she just had enough of him, and she blurted out something that she shouldn't have said in anger. Charlie was a monster in most of this episode, and although we came to understand why he acted like he did, Delia was on the receiving end of his anger and nastiness, and she reacted in an equally harsh way, and she regretted it almost immediately because she has a kind heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Bright/Ephram

I love how these two were just kicking back, relaxing and listening to tunes. When is the last time we've seen Bright/Ephram like this? It is so refreshing seeing these two back in friends mode. It was comical seeing Amy barging in pissed and Ephram said that one of them was in trouble!



^^^ What a perfectly created scene. Ephram saying twice at the beginning and end: Yeah, it's pretty sweet is outstanding stuff.
I loved Bright and Ephram in this episode, and I loved how after Amy ranted and raved and stormed off, they went right back to listening to the new stereo system that Harold had gotten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Nina/Jake

Jake playing twister with Sam was actually really fun. It felt quite real that Nina would be having second thoughts about jumping into this relationship with Jake. Sam is her number one concern. He should be. Nina had every right to be terrified since her experience with his father, Carl, has to linger inside her mind. She knew how much Sam worshipped his father. Jake also treated his ex like crap, leaving her in LA, bolting for Everwood, and Nina witnessed all of it, even remembering Jake was pursuing her and even dated another woman while things were clearly unfinished with his ex in LA. So, Nina deciding to take a chance on Jake was brave. Little does she know he is lying about his substance abuse (even if he told her about his terrible move as a doctor prescribing pain killers in LA). His substance abuse history is the biggest red flag and threat to hurting both Nina and Sam and Jake never had the courage or sense to tell Nina before she jumped all in. But still, I am glad Nina has Jake before Andy, especially given what kind of person Andy is right now. In this episode, I understand Nina's fears and give her credit for having the strength to give the relationship a chance while caring deeply about her son every step of the way.
I could understand Nina's caution about getting serious with Jake, but Jake really was committed to her and at that point he was good for her, but that would change later like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Amy/Hannah

I love this friendship. Sure, Amy can be slightly persistent when she wants something for Hannah but it comes from such a beautiful place. Hannah cared about Amy so much she did not tell her it wasn't Bright that was holding her back from dating Topher, it was the fear of not being around later on and hurting anyone in her path. I completely love the Amy and Hannah friendship. They both need each other and it works beautifully. Amy is my favorite character and she deserves this friendship. She has never had something quite like it in her life. It feels good seeing her bond with a friend with mutual love, caring and respect that isn't attached to Colin. The cafeteria scene with Hannah and Amy hugging each other after Hannah told Amy she was getting tested was so beautiful. I think they both felt like they were the only two people in the room as they blocked everyone else out (even Ephram, who went to Topher, lol)… it was just the two of them as friends embracing. Beautiful.
I've really come to love and appreciate Amy and Hannah's friendship in this rewatch and I have a completely different view of their relationship than I did when I watched the show live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Hannah

Sarah Drew was on top of her game in this one. I was so glad Hannah decided to take the Huntington's test and Bright played a large role in getting her there.
This rewatch also allowed me to see what a good actress Sarah Drew is and how much depth she brought to her role as Hannah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Ephram/Amy

Loved the smiles, looks, and banter. I did not ultimately love how little they were featured in the episode but it was somewhat understandable due to other big storylines transpiring.
I loved Ephram and Amy in this episode, but I have a sense of them being in the calm before the storm as we know what's coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Frustrations

Why were we shoved with this detailed backstory about a guest character and ridiculous Andy/Amanda as other more pertinent storylines were being neglected in the process? There is a real marriage that is in rough waters named Irv/Edna that the audience wants to see again and actually cares about.
I don't know why the writers devoted so much time to a character that no one liked or cared about and to an illicit affair that ultimately ended, when there were so many other stories involving characters that we cared about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
I did not necessarily love that Ephram and Amy were considered "filler characters." I have a sense that the writers wanted them portrayed as really comfortable and settled so the big Madison bomb approaching would rock their world even more. In fact, I was hugely getting a "married couple" vibe from them. Amy swearing and pissed as Ephram sits straight up, making the comment about knowing one of them was in trouble (Bright or Ephram) was very married couple. It just screamed to me as someone feeling like they were in the doghouse and having the history to totally understand their romantic partner and moods. The other time was during Amy's rant to Bright as she turned to Ephram for his support and approval in making sure he was backing her. That scene could have been Harold and Rose easily. It highly reminded me of a married or completely committed couple for years type of scenario.

Either way, I did love what little we received between Ephram and Amy. I liked that it was obvious they were happy and together, completely in love. I do not like what is ahead but at least the writers clearly demonstrated how meant to be and perfect they are for each other. The audience needs to understand this as circumstances beyond their control very soon affect them harshly.
I loved seeing Ephram and Amy so in sync and copacetic with one another, but as we know, it was the calm before the storm and their beautiful relationship would soon blow up and end thanks to Madisongate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Miscellaneous

1. It was nice to see some of the "old-timers" at the diner.

2. The best line was from Hannah to Bright: Are we being beamed somewhere?

3. No Harold, Rose and as usual, we did not see Edna and Irv, either. Tom Amandes directs 3.15 so this could by why he wasn't in 3.14. Still, zero excuse not seeing Edna and Irv because we had to be tortured by boring Amanda/John flashbacks no one cares about.

4. The bird in the house and Hannah and Sam freaking out was a bit ridiculous but it ignited the Nina and Jake storyline which was needed.

Overall, I enjoyed the multi-dimensional aspect of the episode, particularly the parallel themes of guilt, obligation and responsibility evident in Hannah and Nina, and to a lesser extent, stupid Amanda. I just want Amanda to leave and Madisongate to get going so we can get it over with.
Good points and a great review!
__________________
The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it - and the glow from that fire can truly light the world. - John F. Kennedy

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:40 AM
  #7
Administrator
 
Jerry D's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 1999
Posts: 109,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
When that scene happened I literally went "Uhhhh no." Out loud lol. Good luck with that buddy. I also found the flashbacks more annoying than necessary.
Yes, if Amanda fought John for custody, she would most likely win, but if she really wanted to be free, she might have allowed John to have custody as he seemed more involved as a parent than she was at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Amanda is just too much for me. There's too much of her in the episodes but on top of that her personality is so hard to take. Its just constant sarcasm to the point where it just gets grating. How could anyone stand to be around that attitude all the time? lol. I didn't like the flashbacks and it annoyed me that we found out she was planning a divorce with John all this time??? It would have been one thing if she had changed her mind on it but no, this was right before his accident! So why the hell didn't she ever get one??? Makes no sense to me because the whole time I thought she was struggling with this decision but apparently not?
Amanda really is an annoying and unlikable person and this episode really made me dislike her even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
The dinner was a mess as well. The kids OBVIOUSLY would be smart enough to figure out what was happening. Andy/Amanda trying to say "we're good friends" was just a joke. The kids were both being brats but I did feel bad for Charlie when Delia mentioned his dad not waking up. She should have more grace considering what happened to her mom. But the parents kinda needed to hold their ground? If they really love each other and want to be together then their kids will have to understand it...
I agree. The whole dinner was a joke and a disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I didn't like Amy's pushing with Hannah to go out with Topher. It was kinda obvious Hannah wasn't that into it and I wish Amy would just let her make her own decisions and stop pushing her. Then when she went to Bright and told him it was his fault, that was so annoying! Id be so mad if my friend told my crush I wouldnt date anyone because of them... like hello, embarrassing. I did get Hannah's reasons for not wanting to date but it was a bit insane saying she was never gonna fall in love because she didnt know if shed be alive long enough like wtf. Maybe AFTER you get the test you can make that decision.
I think that's just part of Amy's charm: She wanted her friend to be happy and although she could be pushy, as it turned out, Hannah did like Topher, but she didn't want to date anyone due to concerns that she might end up like her father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Jake was great in this episode imo. Sam seems like a devil kid so if Jake can wrangle him then he's a keeper. I felt like Nina was acting a bit ridiculous. Yes, its hard for single moms to date because they dont want their kids to get attached but like, it was Nina's decision to have him at the house and invite him over??? She shouldn't have introduced them or did that in the first place if she didnt want them to get attached. But again, another indicator that Nina just really isn't all that into him??? Jake should have ran, but i think he made his explanation clear at the end, that it was worth the risk for him.
I liked Jake in this episode too, but like everything else, my view of him is clouded by what's to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Overall the episode was fine but just not my favorite. I found it a bit blase.
I feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Top 5:

1. Hannah
2. Jake (hes really shocking me this seasaon lol)
3. Bright (his speech to Hannah was so sweet)
4. Andy (no particular reason)
5. Amy, despite a few issue.

Ephram was just barely in it
Good choices and a good review!
__________________
The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it - and the glow from that fire can truly light the world. - John F. Kennedy

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:33 AM
  #8
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 263,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I thought that this was a rather lackluster episode that focused way too much on Amanda, as we learned that she was planning to divorce her husband John before he had his stroke and the theme of this episode, since you’ve been gone, played throughout it as Amanda reflected back on the time before John was “gone.”. There were some good moments in this episode though, as Bright’s kindness encouraged Hannah to take an important step regarding her future.
Edna and Irv have been shoved away in favor of Amanda's stupid backstory. It's ridiculous. Especially since we don't care about her! If you are going to do a backstory, do it on Andy Brown instead and his motivation for going there. I do not understand why she was given the backstory, especially since we already know she is leaving soon (thankfully). So why was it necessary?

Quote:
We saw in the opening scene between Andy and Amanda at her house where Andy pulled out a kitchen drawer too far and spilled the contents of that drawer on the floor, and Amanda found the card for an attorney that she had thrown in that drawer five years before, and in a series of flashbacks, we saw that John and Amanda had serious marital problems which had left them on the verge of divorce before he suffered the stroke that incapacitated him and left them and their marriage and life in a limbo-like state.
Why did she even have that divorce attorney card around so John could find it? LOL.

Quote:
We saw a boy named Topher ask out Hannah at school, much to delight of Ephram and Amy, but Hannah didn’t seem too thrilled at the prospect of going on a date with him, for reasons we would learn later in the episode.
I actually could have been on board with Hannah and Toper should they have been explored more than we received.

Quote:
Andy called Amanda and he suggested that they have dinner to tell Delia and Charlie about “them,” but that dinner turned out to be a disaster as Charlie and Delia fought and Charlie, who we learned adored his father, reacted in an angry and defensive way when Andy broached the topic of all the time that him and Amanda were spending together, and how close that they had become, and Charlie, reading between the lines, stormed off. Amanda then had another flashback where John confronted her about the attorney’s card that he found, and Amanda told him he was no longer the man that she had fallen in love with, and John said that he would grant her a divorce, but that he wanted custody of Charlie and that he wanted to live with Charlie in their home. To me, this scene showed Amanda to be the selfish party in their relationship as she bemoaned the fact that their relationship had changed due to the fact that they were no longer the two free spirits that they had been when they were first married because they now had a child, but she wanted things to be the way that they had been between them, which was impossible. As a side note, I recognized the actor who played John as Jason Beghe, who stars on the show Chicago P.D. and other Chicago themed shows as Hank Voight. He’s a really good actor. As always, Everwood was always able to attract first-rate actors, even in a mostly non-speaking guest spot.
Yes, indeed. Amanda came off looking so awful. If the writers were going for some Amanda sympathy, they failed. Yes, Jason Beghe is a really good actor. I remember a long while back he was on Melrose Place and caught my eye due to his talent.

Quote:
Back at Nina’s house, we saw that Sam really liked Jake as they played Twister together, and Jake offered to take Sam to a father and son dinner that Carl had bailed out on, and Nina both enjoyed and was scared of how close Jake and Sam were becoming, and her conflicted feelings came to a head in this episode, as a frantic phone call from Hannah about a bird wreaking havoc in their house ruined her date with Jake, and Nina told Jake that she didn’t want his help to get the bird out of their house and clean up the mess that the bird had created, because she didn’t want Sam to be hurt by yet another man that he had grown to love and was close to when their relationship ended, with the key word being when, as Jake picked up on.
Nina was very relatable in this one. Her thoughts and feelings made so much sense throughout.

Quote:
We saw Amy try to encourage Hannah to go out on a date with Topher, but she told Hannah that she could see that she was still pining for Bright, and she advised her to stop wasting her time pining for someone that wasn’t interested in her.

We saw a hilariously frantic Amy confront Bright about the fact that Hannah turned down a chance to go out with Topher because she still liked him, and she wanted Bright to talk to her and do something to discourage her feelings for him. I thought that Ephram was hilarious when told Amy he wanted to stay out of this and he called Bright a good-looking empty shell devoid of any characteristics and that if Hannah or any other girl was attracted to him it was their fault for being so superficial, injecting some sorely needed levity into this otherwise rather somber episode. I also thought that it was hilarious that after a frustrated Amy stormed off, Bright and Ephram went back to listening to Bright’s new music system!
I think that is my favorite Bright and Ephram scene of the series. It's just so perfect. Thinking about S1 and everything they went through and fast-forwarding to them just relaxing together on couches is so fun to see.

Quote:
I loved the scene between Bright and Hannah where he told her that she shouldn’t refuse to date Topher or anyone else because she liked him, but Hannah revealed that she actually liked Topher but the prospect of her having the disease that her father had made her reluctant to date him or anyone else because she didn’t know how much time she might have, so Bright really wasn’t the reason that she had turned Topher down and it was hilarious when she called him narcissistic, marking the second time in this episode where someone insulted Bright, who seemed to just roll with it! I especially loved the later scene where Bright came to see Hannah and he brought her out to the front porch where she had tried to kiss him, and he told her that he saw a different side to her and she wasn’t the shy and timid person that she pretended to be and that she was brave and strong, and she shouldn’t let the prospect of her possibly getting the same disease that had incapacitated her father hold her back, and to treat every moment of her life as a gift. I really loved it when he told her that she shouldn’t think that no one would ever fall in love with her, because someone would, and they shared a tender embrace. I love moments like these where Bright isn’t simply used for comic relief, and I love how Hannah brought out a different side to him just like he brought out a different side to her.
I really did love all of this.

Quote:
We saw Amanda and Charlie talk and she told him that if her relationship with Andy upset him, she would end that relationship, but he said that he saw that she was happy with Andy, and she then had a flashback to when John had the stroke that changed their lives forever.
I hated this scene so much. Unrealistic. Plus, the way Amanda lit up was so gross, she was almost drooling in front of her son knowing she could continue to bed Andy Brown.

Quote:
We saw Jake tell Nina that she was scared of being in a relationship with him and she was using Sam as an excuse to end things with him because she didn’t want to be in a relationship that she thought was bound to fail like her relationship with Carl had failed, but he said that he was here to stay and that she needed to give him a chance, and that if they ever broke up he would be the one with the broken heart, not her, and they shared a very public kiss in the diner, which everyone seemed to ignore, and Jake’s comment that he expected applause was hilarious.
I enjoyed this scene.

Quote:
We received yet another false alarm as it seemed like Andy and Amanda’s relationship was going to end when she went to see him, and Andy, expecting the worst, thanked her for being her as a means of saying goodbye, but she told him that she didn’t want to end things with him and she was going to call the lawyer that she planned to call five years ago and finish what she started and leave John, as once again, a relationship that no one liked continued on its illicit course.
The writers were interested in torturing us severely at times in this one. Everything with Ephram and Amy, the Madison band lie, how Ephram breaks up with her for no good reason, Madisongate, Andy and Amanda... all of this was tough and the writers seemed to enjoy every minute of it.

Quote:
I loved that Hannah, encouraged by her conversation with Bright, tell Amy that she was going to take the test to see if she had the gene for the Huntington’s Disease that her father had, and her and Amy embraced as Ephram went off to comfort a disappointed Topher as a “Mitzvah,” as Amy said that sometimes he was conveniently Yiddish!
Some great one-liners in this one.

Quote:
Overall, I found this episode to be somewhat uninteresting because it focused so much on Amanda, but we did get to see some of the characters make progress in their lives. I also saw this episode as the last “light” episode of the season, or to put it another way, the last episode of the season that had elements of light in it as the next episode and the episodes that followed that episode plunged the core characters of Andy, Ephram and Amy into darkness.
Precisely how I feel as well.
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:10 PM
  #9
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 263,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
When that scene happened I literally went "Uhhhh no." Out loud lol. Good luck with that buddy. I also found the flashbacks more annoying than necessary.
Right on.

In this country, the woman literally has to be addicted to major drugs, mentally unstable to the point of not even understanding reality, convicted of a violent crime, in order to lose her children. Even in those cases, if she can get off the drugs, become mentally stable, she’ll end up getting her children back eventually too. So yes, nice try, John.

Quote:
Amanda is just too much for me. There's too much of her in the episodes but on top of that her personality is so hard to take. Its just constant sarcasm to the point where it just gets grating. How could anyone stand to be around that attitude all the time? lol. I didn't like the flashbacks and it annoyed me that we found out she was planning a divorce with John all this time??? It would have been one thing if she had changed her mind on it but no, this was right before his accident! So why the hell didn't she ever get one??? Makes no sense to me because the whole time I thought she was struggling with this decision but apparently not?
That’s so true. Yes, her sarcasm and passive aggressiveness was so annoying. If I’m John until she knocks it off I’d find a way to be gone a lot too! I still don’t even understand what her problem was. He wasn’t cheating, he wasn’t doing anything serious, he was just working and very busy. Big deal? It seemed as if she got off on the drama. Exactly, she was getting a divorce. Yes, the accident completely changed things and we are lead to believe guilt kept her loyal. BS. She was not contemplating anything. Her decision was made. She could have gone through with the divorce secretly but still helped from a distance give him care. I know it’s a small town but they could have brought in medical assistance or he could’ve gone to a medical facility to get treatment and care. I find it interesting that her introduction made it seem like she was some saint. She was no Saint. Every decision she made was wrong.

Quote:
The dinner was a mess as well. The kids OBVIOUSLY would be smart enough to figure out what was happening. Andy/Amanda trying to say "we're good friends" was just a joke. The kids were both being brats but I did feel bad for Charlie when Delia mentioned his dad not waking up. She should have more grace considering what happened to her mom. But the parents kinda needed to hold their ground? If they really love each other and want to be together then their kids will have to understand it...
Exactly! What a mess. Good friends. Yes, they’re going to buy it, idiots. What they should’ve done is Amanda talk to Charlie privately and Andy talk to Delia privately THEN if both talks went well they could talk as a foursome. Amanda claims that Charlie is the most important person in her life and yet she put him on the spot in front of a girl who doesn’t like him and her father who she is cheating on his father with. What a great mother she is.

Quote:
I didn't like Amy's pushing with Hannah to go out with Topher. It was kinda obvious Hannah wasn't that into it and I wish Amy would just let her make her own decisions and stop pushing her. Then when she went to Bright and told him it was his fault, that was so annoying! Id be so mad if my friend told my crush I wouldnt date anyone because of them... like hello, embarrassing. I did get Hannah's reasons for not wanting to date but it was a bit insane saying she was never gonna fall in love because she didnt know if shed be alive long enough like wtf. Maybe AFTER you get the test you can make that decision.
Amy can’t help herself. Yes, she definitely was pushy. Bright was right when he told Amy for once to let it go. Amy means well. Amy cares about Hannah. But what sucks is Hannah really couldn’t tell Amy the real reason why she was hesitant because she knew Amy would emotionally freak out. I’ve never thought Hannah not getting tested was a smart move. Of course, if she had the gene imagine how horrible it would be basically waiting for death. It would be awful. But at the same time if that's the reality it is going to happen regardless so wouldn’t you want to know right away if you don’t ever have to worry about it instead of not having a clue and expecting that it might happen so you live your life in a very dark way? All around the best decision is knowing.

Quote:
Jake was great in this episode imo. Sam seems like a devil kid so if Jake can wrangle him then he's a keeper. I felt like Nina was acting a bit ridiculous. Yes, its hard for single moms to date because they dont want their kids to get attached but like, it was Nina's decision to have him at the house and invite him over??? She shouldn't have introduced them or did that in the first place if she didnt want them to get attached. But again, another indicator that Nina just really isn't all that into him??? Jake should have ran, but i think he made his explanation clear at the end, that it was worth the risk for him.
So very true about Sam. Jake knows how to handle a handful. LOL. Nina had a right to be fearful but at the same time she should’ve just been honest with Jake from the start like she eventually was.

Quote:
Overall the episode was fine but just not my favorite. I found it a bit blase.

Top 5:

1. Hannah
2. Jake (hes really shocking me this seasaon lol)
3. Bright (his speech to Hannah was so sweet)
4. Andy (no particular reason)
5. Amy, despite a few issue.

Ephram was just barely in it
Good list!

I wonder if both Ephram hardly being in it and Tom completely removed is because of the heavy material coming up for Greg due to Madisongate exploding and Tom directing next episode. I feel like there was a preparation for the upcoming episodes and as a result Bright/Hannah and stupid Amanda were featured.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-09-2022 at 12:27 PM
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:38 PM
  #10
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 263,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Amanda came off as the totally selfish person in her relationship with a pre-stroke John. She complained that he wasn't the same guy she married, but everyone changes when they get married and have a family and have the responsibilities that go with having a family, and it was clear that John adored Charlie, and he mainly changed because he was a father now and he wanted to be a good father to his son. I thought that he was being reasonable when he said that if Amanda wanted to divorce him, he wouldn't stop her, but he wanted custody of Charlie. Granted, if she fought him for custody of Charlie she probably would have won, but I didn't see or understand at all why she was so unhappy with John, and to me, she came off as petty and selfish.
That's the biggest thing! Why weren't we given a precise reason as to why she wanted a divorce? She never insinuated she wasn't in love with him either (it comes later to Andy but not during the flashbacks), he never cheated, he didn't abuse her, so what was the problem? She was lonely? Get a job! Go get exercise and focus more on your son then and be happy you can go there since financially they seemed fine! She made zero sense as to why she wanted out. I wonder why the writers didn't give the audience a reason. Were we meant to hate her? Feel compassion even without a reason? It was so strange. John absolutely seemed clueless as well so he was with the audience!

Quote:
Andy was incredibly stupid to arrange a dinner at Amanda's house to tell Charlie and Delia about "them" and it ended up being a disaster. Andy really disappointed me in Season Three, and his affair with Amanda and his callous disregard for the advice and feelings of the people who loved him and cared about him appalled me.
It was a complete nightmare. Also, why isn't Andy focused on his job anymore? Shouldn't he be swamped taking care of the town along with Harold and Jake? He's not a surgeon who can schedule time the way he wants to anymore, he's a family physician. People get sick! He focuses all his time on darkness instead. Put time and effort into spending time with your children then. He could be bonding like crazy with Delia given all his free time. Instead, he's with Amanda doing awful things.

Quote:
I loved Bright and Hannah's interaction in this episode, and like I said in my review I loved seeing how they both bring out a side of each other that people don't normally see, and I love how his words of encouragement inspired her to take the test to see if she had the Huntington's Disease gene.
I know they have a million different personality traits but I have noticed during this rewatch that they do balance each other out and bring out the best in each other. Thus, their oil and water personalities kind of come together overall.

Quote:
That was really cruel of Delia, but Charlie was really nasty to her, and I think that she just had enough of him, and she blurted out something that she shouldn't have said in anger. Charlie was a monster in most of this episode, and although we came to understand why he acted like he did, Delia was on the receiving end of his anger and nastiness, and she reacted in an equally harsh way, and she regretted it almost immediately because she has a kind heart.
Definitely. Exactly. You are right, Delia and Charlie were being teenagers. They were bickering. They tried the little version of dating and ended up "hating" each other so it does makes sense. Plus, they wouldn't have been forced into this awkward situation if it wasn't for their selfish, morally bankrupt parents. This is on both Andy and Amanda.

Quote:
I loved Bright and Ephram in this episode, and I loved how after Amy ranted and raved and stormed off, they went right back to listening to the new stereo system that Harold had gotten!
The best.

Quote:
I could understand Nina's caution about getting serious with Jake, but Jake really was committed to her and at that point he was good for her, but that would change later like you said.
Yes, and she did mention she witnessed what he did with the ex from LA. That was so selfish and immature. She was scared but overall, yes, Jake hasn't specifically given Nina a reason based on how he treats her that he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Quote:
I've really come to love and appreciate Amy and Hannah's friendship in this rewatch and I have a completely different view of their relationship than I did when I watched the show live.
Me too. Think of Amy S2. Awful. She has zero consistent friendships. S1, when you think about it, she really didn't either! S3 is the first time she has a true, loyal friend around consistently.

Quote:
This rewatch also allowed me to see what a good actress Sarah Drew is and how much depth she brought to her role as Hannah.
She was amazing in this episode.

Quote:
I loved Ephram and Amy in this episode, but I have a sense of them being in the calm before the storm as we know what's coming up.
Exactly right.

Quote:
I don't know why the writers devoted so much time to a character that no one liked or cared about and to an illicit affair that ultimately ended, when there were so many other stories involving characters that we cared about.
Berlanti was shocked no one liked Amanda. Really?

Quote:
I loved seeing Ephram and Amy so in sync and copacetic with one another, but as we know, it was the calm before the storm and their beautiful relationship would soon blow up and end thanks to Madisongate.
Yes, at least the writers established how meant to be Ephram and Amy are together before the storm explodes. You cannot doubt how real and meant to be they are throughout the entire series.

Quote:
Good points and a great review!
Right back at you!
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:46 PM
  #11
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 263,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Yes, if Amanda fought John for custody, she would most likely win, but if she really wanted to be free, she might have allowed John to have custody as he seemed more involved as a parent than she was at that point.
It was so strange. She basically inferred that they should behave like they were in their early 20s again, carefree and without strings. John points out that they have a child now and things are different (rightfully so). Then Amanda comes back with why can't we bring Charlie around the world together too? BS. You didn't even think of Charlie during the first part of your argument. She was making things up along the way, literally getting off on the drama and tension, going all passive aggressive. It was weird. She is such a horrible character.

Quote:
I think that's just part of Amy's charm: She wanted her friend to be happy and although she could be pushy, as it turned out, Hannah did like Topher, but she didn't want to date anyone due to concerns that she might end up like her father.
Such a great point that it is just part of Amy's charm. Absolutely.
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:14 PM
  #12
Administrator
 
Jerry D's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 1999
Posts: 109,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
It was so strange. She basically inferred that they should behave like they were in their early 20s again, carefree and without strings. John points out that they have a child now and things are different (rightfully so). Then Amanda comes back with why can't we bring Charlie around the world together too? BS. You didn't even think of Charlie during the first part of your argument. She was making things up along the way, literally getting off on the drama and tension, going all passive aggressive. It was weird. She is such a horrible character.
That really was B.S. and Amanda just came off as petty and selfish in this episode, and if this episode was supposed to garner sympathy for her character, the writers failed miserably. It was also pointless to devote so much time to her backstory in this episode when she would be gone for good after the next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Such a great point that it is just part of Amy's charm. Absolutely.
Amy had a good heart that would soon be broken into pieces. I'm dreading the next few episodes.
__________________
The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it - and the glow from that fire can truly light the world. - John F. Kennedy

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:02 PM
  #13
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 263,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
That really was B.S. and Amanda just came off as petty and selfish in this episode, and if this episode was supposed to garner sympathy for her character, the writers failed miserably. It was also pointless to devote so much time to her backstory in this episode when she would be gone for good after the next episode.
Exactly. I have no idea what they were going for here because she was gone shortly after this episode. In addition, I still cannot tell if they wanted us to feel sympathy for Amanda or not. I don’t know why they would have thought it would garner any sympathy considering the writing placed her in a really bad place. I don’t know if they wanted the audience to make a decision on how to feel about her on our own. They certainly kept it coded because they never gave us a direct reason as to why she felt the need to get out of the marriage. Andy should have been the one receiving flashbacks in order to give the audience a reason why he was so persistent having this terrible cheating affair.

Quote:
Amy had a good heart that would soon be broken into pieces. I'm dreading the next few episodes.
That’s so true.

It has arrived, poor Amy is approaching so much hurt, shock and confusion and she has absolutely no idea.
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:04 AM
  #14
Fan Forum Star

 
Alexa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 143,654
Quote:
Yes, if Amanda fought John for custody, she would most likely win, but if she really wanted to be free, she might have allowed John to have custody as he seemed more involved as a parent than she was at that point.
I dont think we saw enough of their parenting to determine if he was a better parent or not. Only what Amanda said herself about wanting to leave them both or whatever it was lol. But I just took that a parent wanting some alone time and a natural feeling. Tho I wouldnt know since I dont have kids. But my response was mostly in reference to the fact that the women usually do get to keep custody of their kids.

Quote:
In this country, the woman literally has to be addicted to major drugs, mentally unstable to the point of not even understanding reality, convicted of a violent crime, in order to lose her children. Even in those cases, if she can get off the drugs, become mentally stable, she’ll end up getting her children back eventually too. So yes, nice try, John.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. And, as it should be imo. And I didnt like that he was kind of giving her an ultimatum. Like, okay we can get a divorce but I get the kid... uh, no. lol.

Quote:
He wasn’t cheating, he wasn’t doing anything serious, he was just working and very busy. Big deal?
EXACTLY! Honestly the flashbacks just didnt show us enough reason for them even wanting a divorce in the first place.... I am fine with divorce but i feel like people should just ask for it willy nilly. if you make a commitment to someone you should make every attempt to work on it. Relationships are hard and not always going to perfect.



Quote:
Overall, I found this episode to be somewhat uninteresting because it focused so much on Amanda
We had the same thoughts on that lol.



Quote:
I think that's just part of Amy's charm: She wanted her friend to be happy and although she could be pushy, as it turned out, Hannah did like Topher, but she didn't want to date anyone due to concerns that she might end up like her father.
Idk if i find it charming. So far we've seen amy being SUPER DUPER pushy with Hannah, almost like she feels a little bit above hannah and feels like she needs to mentor her. I mean, we saw her do similar things with her trying to get her to share her writing and also their conversation about sex. Dont get me wrong, I dont think Amy's intentions are bad at all, but sometimes I thinks he oversteps her bounds a little bit. Her and Hannah are just very different and I feel like hse can be too pushy sometimes.



Maybe it just reminds me of my ex friend who would always push me to go out with the "dorky" guys so she could have the guy i really liked to herself.... Sorry Amy, im projecting lmao.


Not that amy is doing that at all, but its like hse knows hannah and bright will never happen so shes trying to find someone more "fitting" for Hannh. idk..



Quote:
What they should’ve done is Amanda talk to Charlie privately and Andy talk to Delia privately THEN if both talks went well they could talk as a foursome.
Yes, this would have been so much better.


Quote:
Of course, if she had the gene imagine how horrible it would be basically waiting for death. It would be awful. But at the same time if that's the reality it is going to happen regardless so wouldn’t you want to know right away if you don’t ever have to worry about it instead of not having a clue and expecting that it might happen so you live your life in a very dark way? All around the best decision is knowing.
Not knowing would only work if you are the kind of person that just would be able to forget about it and live life regardless, but that is not me. I am an overthinker so I would def. need to know. That would really suck if you found out you had it and were just waiting for it... ugh. But at least you would try to live your life to the absolute fullest and experience things you want to do before you get to that point.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:48 PM
  #15
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 263,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I dont think we saw enough of their parenting to determine if he was a better parent or not. Only what Amanda said herself about wanting to leave them both or whatever it was lol. But I just took that a parent wanting some alone time and a natural feeling. Tho I wouldnt know since I dont have kids. But my response was mostly in reference to the fact that the women usually do get to keep custody of their kids.
Very true.

Quote:
Yes, my thoughts exactly. And, as it should be imo. And I didnt like that he was kind of giving her an ultimatum. Like, okay we can get a divorce but I get the kid... uh, no. lol.
Yes! He sounded really devious there.

Quote:
EXACTLY! Honestly the flashbacks just didnt show us enough reason for them even wanting a divorce in the first place.... I am fine with divorce but i feel like people should just ask for it willy nilly. if you make a commitment to someone you should make every attempt to work on it. Relationships are hard and not always going to perfect.
Precisely. He looked as confused as we did, lol. Plus, when you have children involved it gets tricky as well. Yes, I wish we wouldn't have even received the flashback scenes if they weren't going to be in depth and not confusing. I really don't understand the point because it was such a waste of time.

Quote:
Maybe it just reminds me of my ex friend who would always push me to go out with the "dorky" guys so she could have the guy i really liked to herself.... Sorry Amy, im projecting lmao.


Quote:
Not that amy is doing that at all, but its like hse knows hannah and bright will never happen so shes trying to find someone more "fitting" for Hannh. idk..
That's a really good point. I never thought of this before. It does make sense. Of course Amy doesn't look at Bright as this super superior guy. He's her brother and she thinks he's an idiot quite frankly. But on paper, it's exactly what you said... more "fitting" for Hannah, almost on her level and maybe borderline insulting as well.

Quote:
Yes, this would have been so much better.


Quote:
Not knowing would only work if you are the kind of person that just would be able to forget about it and live life regardless, but that is not me. I am an overthinker so I would def. need to know. That would really suck if you found out you had it and were just waiting for it... ugh. But at least you would try to live your life to the absolute fullest and experience things you want to do before you get to that point.
Very true.
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread

Bookmarks


Forum Affiliates
Emily VanCamp, Chris Pratt Universe, Emily VanCamp Brasil, Chris Pratt Web
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 PM.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2022.

Copyright © 1998-2022, Fan Forum.


TEST