Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2022, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
I think you hit it... it's very likely Laynie wasn't thought of initially. I think you are absolutely right. Which of course also means they didn't think to give Amy a good friend either from the start or else they would have thought of Laynie if that makes sense. I am right with you... I was also one of the ones who saw Hannah as a Laynie replacement back in the day... I do not think so when you analyze everything. Yes, this rewawtch has changed my mind on a lot of things.
I think that the original point was to show Amy in amongst a bunch of shallow friends and having Ephram open her up to something real and make her realize just how shallow her friends were, but then they brought in Laynie as her missing best friend who wasn't at all like Paige and Co., but I think she was brought in as someone with a tie to Colin and she was also brought in as someone who was interested in Ephram, triggering Amy's jealousy and making her realize who she really was in love with.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I think that the original point was to show Amy in amongst a bunch of shallow friends and having Ephram open her up to something real and make her realize just how shallow her friends were, but then they brought in Laynie as her missing best friend who wasn't at all like Paige and Co., but I think she was brought in as someone with a tie to Colin and she was also brought in as someone who was interested in Ephram, triggering Amy's jealousy and making her realize who she really was in love with.
100%.

Laynie really served two main purposes:

1. Tie to Colin story
2. Enter a light triangle with Ephram and Amy

That is the other thing… obviously Amy couldn’t tell Laynie what was going on with Ephram because of Colin… but if Amy and Laynie were super close Laynie would have already known Amy and Ephram were close and in the gray zone. For that matter, Laynie would have told Amy she knew Colin was planning on breaking up with her before the accident. Could you imagine Hannah having that information and keeping it from Amy? It would never happen. Hannah would have had Amy’s back and told her, especially seeing what it was doing to her as Amy was hanging around hospitals, suffering panic, depression, anxiety. Hannah would have told her so Amy knew they were not as serious as she thought… a hard truth that would probably have prevented S2 severe depression.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread